Map Thread IX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Map of TL that I sketched out in a book for my little brothers birthday.

edmund's world map.png

To celebrate this new map thread, enjoy this map which in its original form I already posted in the eight one! POD is in the 1930s with a WW2 still quite similiar to OTL.

Alt 1969.png

Is this supposed to be an "equal" Cold War?

Somewhat. Essentially I just planned a priority shift for the Soviets from East Asia (with a weaker China and no Ho Chi Minh) to the Middle East / Central Asia, as well as a more stable and interesting Africa. Overall I would still say that the Cold War is about as one-sided as the OTL one as far as I am concerned.

An American puppet of Ethiopia. I like the idea.

The US is kind of clever that way to prop up the authorian Ethiopian Empire against the strong Communists who also help to prop up independence movements in Ethiopia proper (Eritrea, Ogaden). After all America can't allow the Soviets to get all of Africa's ressources and creating a "bastion of democracy" is a classic tactic.

To celebrate this new map thread, enjoy this map which in its original form I already posted in the eight one! POD is in the 1930s with a WW2 still quite similiar to OTL.

Is that a U.S. puppet state Katanga in the middle of U.S.S.R. puppet state Congo? Ingenious!

Interesting. Could you elaborate more on North America?

Basically, Washington's troops suffer badly from dysentry and at the end of the war, Britain retains the Ohio Country which becomes the destination for Loyalists. Canada therefor retains its French characteristics, the Northwest Ordinance is never held never setting a precedent for admitting new states. Much of the continent is a self-imposed Terra Nullius, with spheres of influence and powerful Plains tribes.

Now that is messy. What the heck is going on with Scandinavia?

I was just about to say the same :p

What's the etymology of Billungia, btw? Billinge? Billund? Billung the Saxon duke? Bilingual? I'm confused.

And what's up with those Danish islands off the coast of Åbo?

Thande

Donor
I was just about to say the same :p
You'll have to read the TL to find out, I'm not summarising the outcome of five wars over a sixty-year period in one paragraph :p

What's the etymology of Billungia, btw? Billinge? Billund? Billung the Saxon duke? Bilingual? I'm confused.
Named after the Billung people who occupied the area many moons ago. Same sort of logic as names like Belgium.

And what's up with those Danish islands off the coast of Åbo?
That's a recolouring error.

Basically, Washington's troops suffer badly from dysentry and at the end of the war, Britain retains the Ohio Country which becomes the destination for Loyalists. Canada therefor retains its French characteristics, the Northwest Ordinance is never held never setting a precedent for admitting new states. Much of the continent is a self-imposed Terra Nullius, with spheres of influence and powerful Plains tribes.
But a precedent has clearly has been set, as seen by American states in Africa!

Now that is messy. What the heck is going on with Scandinavia?

It was worse before, though this border is still all the crazies - you've put the iron mines in 'Sweden', but the labour and transport under Danish rule - you can't even get bulk goods to the 'capital' without going through Danish waters (You have also misplaced Uppsala Thande).

But a precedent has clearly has been set, as seen by American states in Africa!

Those aren't new states. Those are overseas territories of the American states. I should probably colour them to demonstrate. The dak region are areas too 'uncivilised' to fully enjoy the bounties of American liberty.

Thande

Donor
It was worse before, though this border is still all the crazies - you've put the iron mines in 'Sweden', but the labour and transport under Danish rule - you can't even get bulk goods to the 'capital' without going through Danish waters (You have also misplaced Uppsala Thande).

For the five hundred and sixty-eight millionth time, not every flipping border is drawn according to some sort of ultra-rationalistic abhuman appraisal of economic resource exploitation. By your reasoning half the borders redrawn in the OTL 19th century would be ASB :rolleyes: The Swedo-Scandinavian border (now that sounds weird) is mostly drawn according to the contemporary borders of the provinces of Sweden (except avoiding splitting up Stockholm) which is a rather more relevant set of reference points for people drawing up a treaty in 1836 than some arbitrary division based on robotic post-nationalist analysis of resources. That might happen in the late 19th or 20th centuries, but not in 1836.

If Uppsala is misplaced, that's Centennia's fault--I think you're right though, I thought it seemed a bit far north when I was doing it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.