Map Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, you posted that one before, on your return!

Then, let's try this map:

lieutuk.png

I've been working on a map (chart maybe?) for while, and it just got finished. And gets to go on the first page of a new thread. Yay!

(snip solar system maps)

Maps not to scale, obviously.

Which style do you all prefer?

The first one - and as long as I'm here, I'd like to ask a question. Why does your map have a hundred thousand people living on a moon that is so volcanically active that it completely resurfaces itself within the space of a thousand years, and where Jupiter's magnetic field is so intense that you would need a foot of lead shielding to operate safely and not have to worry about radiation?

What is with the popularity of colonizing Io, anyway?

The first one - and as long as I'm here, I'd like to ask a question. Why does your map have a hundred thousand people living on a moon that is so volcanically active that it completely resurfaces itself within the space of a thousand years, and where Jupiter's magnetic field is so intense that you would need a foot of lead shielding to operate safely and not have to worry about radiation?

What is with the popularity of colonizing Io, anyway?

Random reasons I just thought of.

-Io's the 4th largest moon in the solar system, so its got decent gravity.

-Io's active volcanism allows for very cheap power (much cheaper than shipping fissionable material all the way from Earth, Certainly)

-Jupiter admits lethal radiation? Really? I know it emits some radio radiation...

-There are (in my opinoin) only 4 planets and 5 moons in the solar system that are large enough to have enough gravity to allow for large scale settlement (obviously the gas giants have enough gravity, but don't quibble ;)).

Of these, Earth is overpopulated and very isolationist. Venus and Mars fiercely control their populations to avoid damaging their fragile, newly terraformed planets. Mercury is out, for obvious reasons.

Luna (the first world settled), has a very large population, due to its proximity to Earth. Rapid population growth on Luna however, triggered the settlement of the three remaining sizable worlds (Ganymede, by far the most hospitable of the Galilean moons, had been independently settled from Earth). Luna's excess population has been fairly evenly distributed between Titan, Io, and Callisto.

Last edited:
Luna (the first world settled), has a very large population, due to its proximity to Earth. Rapid population growth on Luna however, triggered the settlement of the three remaining sizable worlds (Ganymede, by far the most hospitable of the Galilean moons, had been independently settled from Earth). Luna's excess population has been fairly evenly distributed between Titan, Io, and Callisto.

I find it odd that you fail to mention Europa 9which although small0 would seem far more likely to be hospitable the Titan, Ganymede, and especially Io. if modern theories are true than Europe has a thick covering of ice on top, then a hidden sea, possible filled with volcanic vents. That would seem far better than a planet that spews sulfur all around, and would be nigh-impossible to build a permanent habitat on.

I find it odd that you fail to mention Europa 9which although small0 would seem far more likely to be hospitable the Titan, Ganymede, and especially Io. if modern theories are true than Europe has a thick covering of ice on top, then a hidden sea, possible filled with volcanic vents. That would seem far better than a planet that spews sulfur all around, and would be nigh-impossible to build a permanent habitat on.

Ugh. Yeah, I guess so. Europa does look better. I discounted it because of its low gravity, but settlements under the ice might do well.

Looking around on wiki, I noticed that Jupiter, while it doesn't emit radiation, does have a very strong radiation belt which covers all of its moons to varying degrees.

Hmm.

ATTENTION - DO NOT QUOTE MAPS!

Wow. Map Thread 3. Have I a map to post?

I've been working on a map (chart maybe?) for while, and it just got finished. And gets to go on the first page of a new thread. Yay!

And another version of same:

Maps not to scale, obviously.

Which style do you all prefer?

I like both.

I'm a bit new here, so please forgive any slight I might be making by asking.

Welcome to insanity! :D

Arnold Stays loyal AKA the Anti-Federalists worst nightmare.

Mostly Paint and Fireworks.

Now, another one of mine. The premise is Jefferson gets to go through with his state planning.

Very nice.

Asked this on the last map thread, but it ended like the next day or two later:

I am requesting a map of Europe with the political structurings within the countries (i.e. Bavaria, Bern, Liguria, Tyrol, Limburg, etc). Much thanks if anyone does it...

I am requesting a map of Europe with the political structurings within the countries (i.e. Bavaria, Bern, Liguria, Tyrol, Limburg, etc). Much thanks if anyone does it...
Do you mean internal borders?

That doesn't really belong here. Nevertheless, just to weaken the lesson: This wiki image should work.

Wikipedia has maps for the internal divisions for most countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.