Map of the Fortnight: Topic thread

Thande

Donor
Take a common early POD, e.g. "the Moors win at Tours", and do a linguistic or religious thematic map of Europe or the world.

Why are we all bolding if all we're doing is posting bolded stuff? Surely something non-bolded would stand out more?
:p
The idea of ethnic groups settling differently has been done a bunch before and the trouble with it is that it all ends up a bit too fantasy and only really appreciated by those who know about different old ethnic groups and whatnot.

I like the Henry VIII as HRE one. Has that ever been done in a TL?
Could be very interesting to have so weak a emperor at that time....

There's never enough political maps, and besides, I'd rather start off with something simple... despite, admittedly, giving something not so simple).
I dunno, the socio-geographic steampunk suggestion gives me an idea... if that isn't picked, I'll probably do something like that anyways.

Steambot-majority regions v. Human-majority regions

Why are we all bolding if all we're doing is posting bolded stuff? Surely something non-bolded would stand out more?
:p
The idea of ethnic groups settling differently has been done a bunch before and the trouble with it is that it all ends up a bit too fantasy and only really appreciated by those who know about different old ethnic groups and whatnot.

I like the Henry VIII as HRE one. Has that ever been done in a TL?
Could be very interesting to have so weak a emperor at that time....

I took a few shots at it - I had Catherin of Aragon succeed to the Castilian throne via her older sisters dying, and their child *Edward inheriting the Aragonese throne, so England and Spain were united under a single Tudor dynasty. But then it went a bit downhill for me.

Columbus sails for a different king; South America in the year 1900

Onyx

Banned
A map of a Stalemate WWI, and no Russian Revolution

A map of Russia winning the Russo-Japanese War, and China joining in the war

First hundred years of Venusian settlement. (can be any type of Venus from swamp world to ice and fire hemispheres to RL Venus, and can be fantasy-tech colonizations, as long as the underlying continents and terrain features are retained).

A metro or subway system for a city that currently doesn't have one or isn't very big.

Alternate population density map of a country or region.

I agree, we need to have more maps other than political ones.

A metro or subway system for a city that currently doesn't have one or isn't very big.

Alternate population density map of a country or region.

I agree, we need to have more maps other than political ones.
Subway maps are really boring and require intimate knowledge of the city IMO. Drawing lines with circles that have names on them... eh.

Subway maps are really boring and require intimate knowledge of the city IMO. Drawing lines with circles that have names on them... eh.

hmm....ish.
I'd tend more towards fun to do but not so grand to look at if you're unfamiliar with the place.

How about a train system network? Like a subway but on a bigger and more widely accessible scale :D

A map showing the major cities and internal divisions of a Mexican Empire which is the largest power on the North American continent.

hmm....ish.
I'd tend more towards fun to do but not so grand to look at if you're unfamiliar with the place.

How about a train system network? Like a subway but on a bigger and more widely accessible scale :D
A train system's fine too. We just don't see enough AH transportation maps. :p

A Map of East Asia after a decisive victory in the Second Sino-Japanese War(1937-1940)

A Map of Europe after the Paris Commune's victory detailing the alliance systems on the eve of the Great War.

hmm....ish.

A train system's fine too. We just don't see enough AH transportation maps. :p
Rail/transport systems are cool, too.

Come to think of it, while occassionally someone will do a rail or road map, I don't think I've seen a canal-centric one before. Anybody here recollect seeing a map focusing on canals? We should totally go for a CANALWANK MAP CHALLENGE or something like that.

Considering the number of topics given already, does anyone have any objections to moving the start date forward?

I will be out of town until Sunday afternoon, but as long as the deadline for map submissions is not moved, it's fine by me.