Map of the Fortnight: Main Discussion Thread

I feel this is a tough challenge. There are few Great powers, almost all in Europe and being a vassal usually means being a tiny scrap. I can't think of any vassals or protectorate that turned into anything lasting.

Banned
Are there any OTL examples of what we are looking for in the recent challenge?
The Hispanic/Gothic March becoming independent from France, Provence and Switzerland and Italy and the Netherlands leaving the HRE, southern Italy leaving Spanish rule, Sweden leaving the Kalmar Union, Iceland becoming independent of Norway in the 1300's, any example of China losing control of its lands throughout its long history, the examples are countless.

The Hispanic/Gothic March becoming independent from France, Provence and Switzerland and Italy and the Netherlands leaving the HRE, southern Italy leaving Spanish rule, Sweden leaving the Kalmar Union, Iceland becoming independent of Norway in the 1300's, any example of China losing control of its lands throughout its long history, the examples are countless.

I doubt that many people would call Switzerland and Iceland great powers.

Banned
I doubt that many people would call Switzerland and Iceland great powers.
Neither the challenge, nor the post I quoted, mentions anything about great powers. But even considering them, well that's what alternate history is all about right.

Banned
@Gokbay well damn, I did not see the new thread 🤦🏼‍♂️
Anyway most of my examples still fit the bill, just forget Iceland and maybe Switzerland although with their very high standards of living and being probably the most free and democratic nations in the world they might be considered great by unconventional definitions.

@Gokbay well damn, I did not see the new thread 🤦🏼‍♂️
Anyway most of my examples still fit the bill, just forget Iceland and maybe Switzerland although with their very high standards of living and being probably the most free and democratic nations in the world they might be considered great by unconventional definitions.
No problem, I think I have an idea anyway....

Arguably almost any OTL great power could qualify if you look back in history far enough. US was a colony of GB, GB was a Danish tributary, Austria was a Holy Roman field, Prussia was a Polish vassal as mentioned, Russia was a Mongol territory, etc. Be creative! Also feel free to interpret Great Power broadly - for example Venice (former Byzantine province) could qualify because of its economic influence.

Last edited:
Let me know if you are on the cusp of having it done and I can hold the voting thread to a specific time for you. However, given the contests are a month now, I am very reluctant to extend further.