Map of the Fortnight: Main Discussion Thread

How indigenous does the original secession have to be? Does a forced, top-down division by a central government with little support count? Does an invasion by a foreign power and forceful annexation also count? Or does the later have to be accompanied by say, a Puppet government declaring secession?

How indigenous does the original secession have to be? Does a forced, top-down division by a central government with little support count? Does an invasion by a foreign power and forceful annexation also count? Or does the later have to be accompanied by say, a Puppet government declaring secession?
Feel free to interpret broadly, though I would say that the word 'secession' implies some sort of polity even if it isn't actually homegrown or independent. E.g. Ukraine liberating the so-called DPR/LNR could count, but retaking Crimea probably would not.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have them lasting a month each? Like you would have two asynchronous contests running simultaneously, each lasting a month and being opened each fortnight.

I guess three weeks works the same, it just avoids you having to wait a week between one being closed and another opening. Although I suppose voting takes a week, so each being 3 weeks mapping + 1 week voting makes sense.

Sorry for the rant, I guess I just wanted to point out some options :coldsweat:
This actually makes a lot more sense, especially because I don't have to post threads every week in this case. I think we'll do this instead.

Feel free to interpret broadly, though I would say that the word 'secession' implies some sort of polity even if it isn't actually homegrown or independent. E.g. Ukraine liberating the so-called DPR/LNR could count, but retaking Crimea probably would not.
Hmm, i'm sorry I don't quite see the difference, the republic of crimea was also a polity before and after 2014.

Last edited:
Ok I’m still trying to think of a scenario I like and I have to ask: how voluntary does “seceded” have to be? Would a more “reconquest” type thing work? Like idk the modern history of Alsace-Lorraine