Map of the Fortnight: Main Discussion Thread

Wow how do you guys make some of these maps. Like with the geography underlay and perfect circles.
The geography underlay in my maps are very easy to do with QGIS! See the link in my signature for more details. Also, I know someone on the forum is writing a beginner tutorial, it might be worth looking at!

It's now midnight in Central European Time and July 4, 2022 is starting. When are round 257 and 258 actually end precisely? When can we vote and especially expect 259 to start?

New threads are up, voting 257, voting 258, entries 259. I'm going to try an experiment going forwards in which the contests will last three weeks instead of two, to give people more time to get maps in since that seemed to work well for 257. However, there will still be a new challenge every fortnight, so at any given point after this gets rolling, two different contests will be open for submissions, as there was this last week. Hopefully this isn't too confusing - let me know what you all think!

New threads are up, voting 257, voting 258, entries 259. I'm going to try an experiment going forwards in which the contests will last three weeks instead of two, to give people more time to get maps in since that seemed to work well for 257. However, there will still be a new challenge every fortnight, so at any given point after this gets rolling, two different contests will be open for submissions, as there was this last week. Hopefully this isn't too confusing - let me know what you all think!

Wouldn't it make more sense to have them lasting a month each? Like you would have two asynchronous contests running simultaneously, each lasting a month and being opened each fortnight.

I guess three weeks works the same, it just avoids you having to wait a week between one being closed and another opening. Although I suppose voting takes a week, so each being 3 weeks mapping + 1 week voting makes sense.

Sorry for the rant, I guess I just wanted to point out some options :coldsweat:

Great idea!

How indigenous does the original secession have to be? Does a forced, top-down division by a central government with little support count? Does an invasion by a foreign power and forceful annexation also count? Or does the later have to be accompanied by say, a Puppet government declaring secession?

How indigenous does the original secession have to be? Does a forced, top-down division by a central government with little support count? Does an invasion by a foreign power and forceful annexation also count? Or does the later have to be accompanied by say, a Puppet government declaring secession?
Feel free to interpret broadly, though I would say that the word 'secession' implies some sort of polity even if it isn't actually homegrown or independent. E.g. Ukraine liberating the so-called DPR/LNR could count, but retaking Crimea probably would not.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have them lasting a month each? Like you would have two asynchronous contests running simultaneously, each lasting a month and being opened each fortnight.

I guess three weeks works the same, it just avoids you having to wait a week between one being closed and another opening. Although I suppose voting takes a week, so each being 3 weeks mapping + 1 week voting makes sense.

Sorry for the rant, I guess I just wanted to point out some options :coldsweat:
This actually makes a lot more sense, especially because I don't have to post threads every week in this case. I think we'll do this instead.

Feel free to interpret broadly, though I would say that the word 'secession' implies some sort of polity even if it isn't actually homegrown or independent. E.g. Ukraine liberating the so-called DPR/LNR could count, but retaking Crimea probably would not.
Hmm, i'm sorry I don't quite see the difference, the republic of crimea was also a polity before and after 2014.

Last edited:
Ok I’m still trying to think of a scenario I like and I have to ask: how voluntary does “seceded” have to be? Would a more “reconquest” type thing work? Like idk the modern history of Alsace-Lorraine