Map of the Fortnight: Main Discussion Thread

Here are my suggestions:
  1. Game of Thrones: Make a map of a realm engulfed by an epic war of succession crisis (anything allowed)
  2. The Lone Colonizer(s): Make a map of a world where only one (or two) country(s) colonized much of the world (no ASB or sci-fi, has to be realistic, starting time can be anywhere)
  3. One Nation, Indivisible: Make a map of a country uniting an entire ethnic group into one nation (no ASB or sci-fi, has to be realistic, starting time can be anywhere)
  4. God of War: Make a map of an area affected by a ruthless powerful warlord/general/army(s)/leader
  5. Century of Blood: Make a map of an area/world for which at least a hundred years has been devastated by endless conflict
  6. The Long Night: Make a map of an area/world that was devastated by freezing temperatures

Once again bumping this.

I wonder if it might make sense given we're in a period of low engagement to try to split the contest up to encourage new people to participate, like the /r/imaginarymaps people do. Maybe it would still be just one contest each round, but there could be two 'leagues' - one for people who have ~3+ wins and one for everyone else - and then have two winners each fortnight. The Map Thread is as active as ever, so clearly there isn't a real shortage of people who want to make maps.

Alternatively, maybe there could be a split from a single winner to something like 'best in aesthetics' and 'best in timeline concept.' There are a lot of people with great pixel map/QBAM skills on the forum, and they are some of the best format to tell the story of a timeline in a single image. However, they are very rarely submitted and AFAIK one hasn't won in years just because they usually don't stack up aesthetically.

Last edited:
Well, if anyone would like to take over running of the contest, they'd be free to try whatever reforms seem good to them. It's coming up on four years since I took over from Upvoteanthology; I'd be happy to hand off the role. The only qualification I'd ask is some assurance that the new contest runner would be willing and able to post the new threads reliably.

The Faces of Evil: Make a map depicting a country or region commonly hated or feared.

This is Not Okie Dokie: Make a map depicting international response to a genocide, war crime, or other mass violation of human rights.
Goddammit, Mario!: Make a map depicting a country being "backstabbed" by a people, group, or other country.

Green is for World Domination: Make a map depicting an environmentalist movement.

Newspeak: Make a map depicting language reform.

Congratulations to @Reagent for winning MotF 244 with "The Turbot Wars", featuring Newfoundland and Acadia as long-time partners!

New threads are now posted:
MotF 245: Sic Semper Tyannis - Voting Thread
MotF 246: The Beacons Are Lit! - Entry Thread

(Shoutout to @Veranius for the topic suggestion!)

I do appreciate all the topic suggestions that have been put forward recently - if there are particular ones that catch your interest, please do mention them specifically! It helps me decide which ones to use.

Don't think I'll be able to get mine in in time, but it looks like it's going to be extended anyhow. Should be up in the next couple days though.

I will in fact extend this round - MotF 247 will now end December 6, 2021.

In related news, the next round will be an extended "Map of the Month" round over the winter holiday season. If anyone has a topic they think would be particularly suitable, please feel free to put it forward!

Stretch

Donor
Hot Topic at the Amazon Wall (Mart)

Alternate business chain/pre-existing business chain in an alternate world. No fantasy settings, unless it's an ISOT (Gateway to the fantasy world from a modern one, where business sees expansion possibilities is fine, but a family owning a number of taverns in a fantasy setting isn't; for example)

As Far as Eyes Can See - Depict a nation that is substantially larger than its OTL equivalent

The Sayings of the Elders - Depict an endangered language

Who needs Sources? - Depict an ahistorical theory that has gained mass acceptance

As Far as Eyes Can See - Depict a nation that is substantially larger than its OTL equivalent

The Sayings of the Elders - Depict an endangered language

Who needs Sources? - Depict an ahistorical theory that has gained mass acceptance
I like these, particularly the second and third