Map of the Fortnight: Main Discussion Thread

I have a proposal for the next contest:
It Came on a White Horse: depict a region before and after a devastating epidemic swept through it, showing the effect it has had on its people, governments and stability

The region's size is for you to chose (could be a city and nearby areas, could be a nation, could be a continent, could even be an entire planet) as well as the disease's characteristics. A map of the spread of the pestilence would also be interesting but not obligatory

I have a proposal:

The Lone Colonizer: Make a map of a world where only one (or two) country(s) colonized much of the world (no ASB, sci-fi, has to be realistic, starting time can be anywhere).

Last edited:
I have a proposal:

The Lone Colonizer: Make a map of a world where only one (or two) European power(s) colonized much of the world (no ASB, sci-fi, start date 15th Century since that’s when modern colonization began).

May I suggest taking out the start date and making it open to non-European powers? A Chinese-colonized world could be interesting, for instance

Man facing nature:
Show the World or a region after a cataclysmic event of natural origin (eruption, earthquake, tidal wave, global warming, ice age, pandemic etc...).

Irremediable pollution:
Show the world or a region suffering the negative effects of a man-made disaster (nuclear accident, oil spill, global warming, plastic pollution etc...).

Probably going to try making my first MotF entry for this. Current plan is something along the lines of War of the Worlds, except the aliens in question have bioweapons in their repertoire, and the general tone of the invasion is closer to British colonialism in India or the Spanish in Mesoamerica, as opposed to the outright extermination in the original WotW.

The Map Before Time - Make a map depicting a prehistoric or protohistoric setting.
The Whopper Index - Make a map that depicts economic wealth or standards of living.
Incidentally, my vote is absolutely on one of these two for a future contest.

These have probably all been done before but some prompt ideas:

Work!: Make a map that depicts a public works project, such as highways, dams or otherwise.
A Lake of Our Own: Make a map that depicts a body of water under the control of a single power.
Save Paradise: Make a map that depicts ecological sanctuaries, parks or other such wild land set aside.

Last edited:
Damn, looks like I shan't be able to get my planned entry out in time (overestimated my productivity and understimated College work). I'll still definitely do something with it as I really like the idea I got and the current concept, but my first MotF entry will have to wait to another day.

Aww, sorry to hear that, but real life does come first. The round will be open for about 36 hours from the time of this post, if you're able to squeak something in.

Stretch

Donor
This Is Our Land
A map where a native population survived contact with an invading force and became a nation (does not have to be necessarily stable)

Map not completed to the level I'd have liked, but I managed to squeak it out in the end. I'm not sure whether or not additional images are allowed, but just to be on the safe side of the rules, I'll post an image of my concept for the Tchrillik (alien sort-of invaders, and source of the British Flu which ravaged the world at the turn of the 20th century)

View attachment 633324

I don't think additional images are an issue, I've added an additional image for at least one map here