Map of the Fortnight: Main Discussion Thread

Congratulations to @rexnerdorum, who came out on top of MotF 226 with "Election 2276: The Least Important Election in American History"!

New threads are now up!
MotF 227: Here Be Dragons - Voting Thread
MotF 228: City On A Downhill - Entry Thread

Also: at the end of December, I will most likely run an extended "Map of the Month" contest, over the winter holiday period. The topics for these traditionally require a little something extra. If you have an idea for a topic that you think would work well for the Map of the Month, feel free to suggest it in this thread!

Also: at the end of December, I will most likely run an extended "Map of the Month" contest, over the winter holiday period. The topics for these traditionally require a little something extra. If you have an idea for a topic that you think would work well for the Map of the Month, feel free to suggest it in this thread!
With that in mind allow me to update an older idea of mine.
Skeletons in the Cabinet: Depict a nation in which a deceased political figure is the official leader, or is otherwise ruled by a political party which advocates necrocracy.

Map of the Month Ideas:
Written in the Stars: Depict a celestial empire with territory or access to multiple star systems
The Next Breath is Your Last: this map is a snapshot just before a status quo altering tragedy (examples: A city map drawn up before a war/natural disaster, an agricultural survey just before a drought/flood/plague/etc., a map of a census prior to a pandemic, war, famine, etc.).
Small Victories: Depict a change brought about by bottom-up social movements. Frex a census map depicting changes in income , or campaign to add an additional stop to transit lines succeeds, or even a civil rights/labor/other popular movement attaining political goals.
Where the Wild Things are: Depict the protected wildernesses of an alternate world and the impact on the world.

As someone who's lost two MotFs epically and is currently losing another just as epically (that is, I haven't got anyone else's vote), I'd like to complain that the current polling system is biased towards the absolute best, with no regard for the runners up. I am suggesting a new polling system: Each user can give up to 3 stars (and as few as 0) on each map. Votes will either be gathered by multiple oplls (if supported) or by a script counting text votes. An example vote would be:
#01 *
#02 ***
#05 *
#06 **
which would give 3 stars to #2, two to #6, one each to #1 and #5, and none to the rest.
(Also, the voting pages should show the maps and their descriptions.)

As someone who's lost two MotFs epically and is currently losing another just as epically (that is, I haven't got anyone else's vote), I'd like to complain that the current polling system is biased towards the absolute best, with no regard for the runners up. I am suggesting a new polling system: Each user can give up to 3 stars (and as few as 0) on each map. Votes will either be gathered by multiple oplls (if supported) or by a script counting text votes. An example vote would be:
#01 *
#02 ***
#05 *
#06 **
which would give 3 stars to #2, two to #6, one each to #1 and #5, and none to the rest.
Preferential voting baby! I'm afraid it might make everything hard, and I doubt the polling system planned it

#01 *
#02 ***
#05 *
#06 **

Does the forum even have the possibility to implement this system? I mean, I could see the sense in implementing something like multiple votes (not endorsing it, just saying I could understand), but I don't know if the apparatus for this exists

The forum does not currently support more complicated vote allocation systems. There is an option for "vote for up to X" but this still would allow only one vote per entry, without any weighted or preferential voting. Allowing multiple votes was experimented with in the past, but I don't recall it making much difference.

At present I am not interested in going outside the forum for polling, or setting up dedicated software. However, as I have mentioned before, if someone is interested in taking over the administration of this contest on a long-term basis, I am willing to hand it off and let someone else try to implement whatever reforms they please.

The forum does not currently support more complicated vote allocation systems. There is an option for "vote for up to X" but this still would allow only one vote per entry, without any weighted or preferential voting. Allowing multiple votes was experimented with in the past, but I don't recall it making much difference.

At present I am not interested in going outside the forum for polling, or setting up dedicated software. However, as I have mentioned before, if someone is interested in taking over the administration of this contest on a long-term basis, I am willing to hand it off and let someone else try to implement whatever reforms they please.
In lieu of an official onsite system, we would accept text responses with the format given, and use a script to collate responses.

Hey, uh you guys are really awesome.

Like, I've only participated a bunch of times, and it's been a long time since the last one, but each time it's been fun, and I often end up like "Oh, I have an idea for this MotF, I just have no time or energy after classes to act upon it" (like this MotF I wanted to make a map of decaying Port Arthur after a US transition away from fossil fuels, and of like proposed plans to refurbish it and get it restarted, I actually integrated it in my smol ghoul universe in my head).

But like ... I had this geography assignment in class and I rocked GIMP like a pro, and it made me realize how much fun this contest had been and how much I learned from it. So here, instead of finishing my presentation for tomorrow 10 AM, I'm writing you this message: to all the participants, you always submit quality stuff in such a short notice and I admire you a lot! To Kaphrainos, thank you a lot for organizing all of these contests for such a long time! If anyone had told 13 years old me that there was a place for her to share her map creations and see other awesome invented maps, she'd have spent five long years of participating to every single contest instead of playing unfulfilling video games and eating trash food. So I'm kinda sad that it's over for me for the moment, but I'm really glad I could participate to some of these and I hope I will be able to do so again in the future!

Map of the Month Ideas:
Written in the Stars: Depict a celestial empire with territory or access to multiple star systems
The Next Breath is Your Last: this map is a snapshot just before a status quo altering tragedy (examples: A city map drawn up before a war/natural disaster, an agricultural survey just before a drought/flood/plague/etc., a map of a census prior to a pandemic, war, famine, etc.).
Small Victories: Depict a change brought about by bottom-up social movements. Frex a census map depicting changes in income , or campaign to add an additional stop to transit lines succeeds, or even a civil rights/labor/other popular movement attaining political goals.
Where the Wild Things are: Depict the protected wildernesses of an alternate world and the impact on the world.
I'll add some ideas:

Through Blood and Steel:
Depict a country which has recently attained great power status through victory in a major conflict

The Engine of the World:
Depict the world's largest economy

The World Turned Upside Down:
Make a map with an orientation other than "North-up"

First, congratulations to @Jajax, who really blew it out of the water in MotF 227 with "The Empty Map!"

Second, new threads are now posted:
MotF 228: City On A Downhill - Voting Thread
MotF 229: Punk It Up! - Entry Thread

Third, just a reminder that next round will be an extended Map of the Month round - I've seen some suggested topics, so remember to show your support for the ones that interest you! A few previous suggestions that I am also considering as possibilities:
  • All In The Family - Make a map showing all the territories controlled by members of a single royal house.
  • The Map Before Time - Make a map depicting a prehistoric or protohistoric setting.
  • The Whopper Index - Make a map that depicts economic wealth or standards of living.
  • Long-Lost Cousins - Make a map showing two very different countries that nonetheless share a common heritage.

Last edited:
So, I have an idea, but I'm not sure if it actually fits the requirements of the theme:
I wanna make a "pulsarpunk" map: it's the end of the universe in the physics sense (stars have run out of themselves to burn and the few remaining ones to still emit light are pulsars, hence the name), and it permeates through every aspect of the society (which means it'll probably be at least a bit depressing, even though I usually don't tread with that sort of writing). Do you people think it'd fit the bill? Otherwise I can just think of something else I guess

So, I have an idea, but I'm not sure if it actually fits the requirements of the theme:
I wanna make a "pulsarpunk" map: it's the end of the universe in the physics sense (stars have run out of themselves to burn and the few remaining ones to still emit light are pulsars, hence the name), and it permeates through every aspect of the society (which means it'll probably be at least a bit depressing, even though I usually don't tread with that sort of writing). Do you people think it'd fit the bill? Otherwise I can just think of something else I guess
Sounds fine to me!

I'll add some ideas:

Through Blood and Steel:
Depict a country which has recently attained great power status through victory in a major conflict

The World Turned Upside Down:
Make a map with an orientation other than "North-up"
I really like these two for MOTM