Map of the Fortnight: Main Discussion Thread

So for both of the first two entries, I gotta ask: Where is the recent city name change?

To be fair, i haven't read the _entire_ timeline for the second entry yet, but it didn't seem very obvious from a first glance for either one. Maybe I'm just not seeing it?

So for both of the first two entries, I gotta ask: Where is the recent city name change?

To be fair, i haven't read the _entire_ timeline for the second entry yet, but it didn't seem very obvious from a first glance for either one. Maybe I'm just not seeing it?

As far as the rules are concerned, I interpreted it as being a change in name relative to the timeline—it's a fair criticism that I've made a somewhat "modern" map when the change in name occurred in the 1950s, though to be fair the renaming of neighbourhoods within the city is much more recent, and the ward structure the result of municipal reform in the 90s, so the names of the wards of San Francisco are recently changed from their Anglophone names.

As far as the rules are concerned, I interpreted it as being a change in name relative to the timeline—it's a fair criticism that I've made a somewhat "modern" map when the change in name occurred in the 1950s, though to be fair the renaming of neighbourhoods within the city is much more recent, and the ward structure the result of municipal reform in the 90s, so the names of the wards of San Francisco are recently changed from their Anglophone names.
I guess it's a question of how recent.

Given that some of the cities on my and Implied's entry have been settled for nearly two and a half millennia, I figured a name change in the past 40-75 years relative to the map would be recent enough.

Fair enough on both counts. Since it wasn't obvious to me, I thought I'd ask.

First of all, congratulations to @JoeyB2198 for winning MotF 177 with his map of the Far Eastern Republic!

I see we have a couple of entries so far for MotF 178, so it's not too early to be thinking about the next round. As mentioned, 179 will most likely be another POD-specific challenge - here are some possible options:
  • Third Place Ain’t So Bad - Make a map set in a timeline where one or more Third World countries are better off than in OTL. POD must be after 1945.
  • Lies Agreed Upon - Make a map set in a timeline where France is victorious in the Napoleonic Wars. POD must be between 1789 and 1815
  • Roma Delenda Est - Make a map set in a timeline where Carthage triumphs over Rome in the Punic Wars. POD must be between 264 BC and 146 BC.
If you're interested in seeing one of these as a topic for a future round, or have other suggestions, post them here!

Does Third Place Ain't So Bad require imrpoveed status for the 3rd world as a whole, or can it focus on a single country/bloc?

Does Third Place Ain't So Bad require imrpoveed status for the 3rd world as a whole, or can it focus on a single country/bloc?

I was thinking it would get a wider range of entries if it didn't have to be the entire Third World, so focusing on a country would be fine.

Probably the colloquial one (developing countries) rather than the original one (outside either the Western or Soviet spheres). Though on the other hand, maybe someone wants to do a superpower Sweden...
So is that a "yes" to both? Because I had an idea focused on a Cold War-definition third world country.