Map of the Fortnight: Main Discussion Thread

shiftygiant

Gone Fishin'
How bout: Race to the other side

Make a map showing the story of an alternative Trans-Continental route (can be a railroad or a highway). The catch is, it must involve some kind of competition between 2 or more countries or companies (can involve 2 separate routes or different starting points on the same route).

I like this one, although I feel that we might be limited by 'Trans-Continental'. That said, I vote for this as it sounds fun (assuming this is still valid to vote for come the next round).

I like this one, although I feel that we might be limited by 'Trans-Continental'. That said, I vote for this as it sounds fun (assuming this is still valid to vote for come the next round).

I agree. Broaden it to something involving 'a long distance' or 'a particular geographic achievement' and I'd like it. This way someone could do something that crossed India or the Amazon, but technically didn't cross a continent.

It's been awhile, so I'm not quite up to speed on what contests have been run in my absence, but I do have an idea for a map contest. What Difference One Ingredient Makes!, where the survival or existence of a "micro-nation" that doesn't exist at the present time radically alters the course of history. I put micro-nation in quotes because I don't necessarily mean like something quite as small as say Vatican City (or Sealand), but something up to about the size of Luxembourg. Large enough it can be seen on a world map if need be, but only barely. I actually looked it up and Luxembourg is actually a fairly good unit of measurement, being around 2500 square km, or 1000 square miles (if you're creative with the rounding).

I forgot this contest was on! *facepalm*

I don't think i can come up with a good idea or map in time so, I'll give this one a skip.

I would like to suggest an idea for the next contest though, (if that's still happening): Deus Vult, an alternate Crusade, from any scenario from Ikko Ikki Korea to Islamic Crusader States in Italy and the Balkans.

Unless its already been done :eek:

Deleted member 87099

I have an idea for a future competition:

Obey The Cliché - Make a map depicting a world that has one or more alternate history clichés (i.e. CSA victory, Nazi victory, Deseret, etc.)

New threads for MotF on AltHistoria! MotF 130 closed with four entries, including entries by former winner ToixStory and yours truly. MotF 131's challenge is a rerun of "The Ministry of Truth", specifically "Make a map, or several maps, contrasting the world as it is depicted to the denizens of a totalitarian state by their government and how the world actually is.".

One of these contests needs either a new name or a new numbering scheme (or both?), because having two MotF 130 at the same time is mighty confusing.

One of these contests needs either a new name or a new numbering scheme (or both?), because having two MotF 130 at the same time is mighty confusing.

Maybe call the one on the other board the AltMotF (because AltHistoria, etc)?

Krall

Banned
Maybe call the one on the other board the AltMotF (because AltHistoria, etc)?

Yeah, that is something we've yet to resolve. I'd rather not just add a prefix to one of the contests, though - I'd rather maintain the idea that they're parallel and equal contests instead of one being an offshoot of the other.

Yeah, that is something we've yet to resolve. I'd rather not just add a prefix to one of the contests, though - I'd rather maintain the idea that they're parallel and equal contests instead of one being an offshoot of the other.

I mean, your sig makes it seem like it doesn't even exist on this forum anymore, so it might be good to have some clarification. Maybe just start over from 1?

Krall

Banned
I mean, your sig makes it seem like it doesn't even exist on this forum anymore, so it might be good to have some clarification. Maybe just start over from 1?

Ah, true, I hadn't realised that. I'll try to edit that to make it more clear.

I don't think one of us starting over from 1 would be a good idea, as they'd still all be duplicates. Either we both need prefixes (like AHMotF and AltMotF or something) or one of the contests should alter their name. Unfortunately I can't think of a contest name that's as good as "Map of the Fortnight". :eek:

How about indexing the AH.com challenges by even numbers - 130, 132, 134... - and the Althistoria challenges by odd numbers?

shiftygiant

Gone Fishin'
Ah, true, I hadn't realised that. I'll try to edit that to make it more clear.

I don't think one of us starting over from 1 would be a good idea, as they'd still all be duplicates. Either we both need prefixes (like AHMotF and AltMotF or something) or one of the contests should alter their name. Unfortunately I can't think of a contest name that's as good as "Map of the Fortnight". :eek:

Perhaps we use the prefixes when referring to the other sites contest?

Krall

Banned
How about indexing the AH.com challenges by even numbers - 130, 132, 134... - and the Althistoria challenges by odd numbers?

The idea is to make it *less* confusing, not more. :p

Perhaps we use the prefixes when referring to the other sites contest?

That might be a good solution - AltHistoria uses a prefix to refer to AH.com's contest and AH.com uses a different prefix to refer to AltHistoria's contest.