Map of Native American Tribes West of the Mississippi 1860

In 1860 most of the West was still unceded, wasn't it? Searching around, I didn't find any really good maps, but there were several blobby textbook style maps, and they all show everything from eastern California to western Kansas as a contiguous block of unceded land.

Here is the Indian Territory as of 1860. But most of the West wasn't divided out into reservations yet,
it_ok1855_1865.jpg

Last edited:

B-29_Bomber

Banned
In 1860 most of the West was still unceded, wasn't it? Searching around, I didn't find any really good maps, but there were several blobby textbook style maps, and they all show everything from eastern California to western Kansas as a contiguous block of unceded land.

There must still be maps depicting the traditional lands of Native tribes such as the Sioux or Lakota.

There must still be maps depicting the traditional lands of Native tribes such as the Sioux or Lakota.

Ah, OK. And I totally forgot about the Fort Laramie Treaty. In 1851 the US government attempted to define official tribal territories. And they were definitely mapped. Here are a couple of versions of the treaty map.

desmetmap2.jpg