Map Contest Two: Discussion

Thande

Donor
Thande, on your map, how did France lose Flanders and Calais and gain Franche-Comte and the Duchy of Burgundy?

Broadly designed to represent the rise of the Gerulfians in Holland and the French tending otherwise to win wars against Germans and England. (Can't plan out everything exactly over 100 years! ;) )

I don't look at other people's entries before posting my own lest I subconsciously nick ideas, so -

Euio, I really like the name 'Khanate of the Danube'.
Yeah, I was upset when he'd used it and I had to rename mine :p
Dutchie, like the style, seems as though the north/south Chinese divide is persisting even after the conquest of the Song, Poland and Austria seem to have got back on their feet rather quickly...
Thanks - I figured with another Khanate in the West, there'd be lesser men in the East to hold the core Empire together, resulting in the North/South, Steppe/City split in China.

My thoughts in Europe were that the Mongols would confine themselves mostly to the Pannonian plain while the border regions with the HRE and Ploand/Mazovia would be generally depopoulated through enduring raids and skirmishes. Most of Central and North-Western Europe was not suitable to the Mongol society (too many forests). While they integrated with the Song Empire in the East (there's an old saying that conquering the chinese is like the water conguering the sponge), the cultural (and, sadly, racial) differences with the urban Europeans meant integration wasn't possible.

The presence of the "big scary foreign devils" led to a more unifed HRE, under the banner of protecting the true faith form the Eastern Horde. Poland and Mazovia unified in the face of the threat, but again the lands weren't suitable to the Mongols, and so their main threats are the Teutons and the Novgorods.

What I liked the most was the surviving and stronger Latin Empire. The Khans defeat of the Seljuks and Bulgarians allowed this Constantinople Empire to thrive. They beat and integrated the Niceans and most of the Greeks to lead to an Agean empire.

Last edited:
YES!

*Does victory dance*

I WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YEAH!

This was fun.

Now I get to reveal my secrets on how I won:

Before posting any map, print it out, dip it in tea, crruple it up, let it dry, and then scan it.

Well, that's it really. Just dip your maps in tea.

Thank you everyone, this year's contest was fun, and I can't wait until next year.

Thande

Donor
Congratulations to Euio and his tea-soaked map :D

I'm still pleased with my entry, as it uses several new techniques which I now want to use for some others...

Congratulations to Euio and his tea-soaked map :D

I'm still pleased with my entry, as it uses several new techniques which I now want to use for some others...
I really liked yours, the effects were very good and it was very well thought out and much more interesting than a map of Europe labelled "Khanate of the Golden Horde".

BTW, LordKraken, I really like the name "Khanate of the Iron Cross".:cool:

Congratulations Euio! Tea-staining, hehe.

I knew Khanate of the Iron Cross was a bit of a stretch, but eh, I liked the sound of it.

YES!

*Does victory dance*

I WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YEAH!

This was fun.

Now I get to reveal my secrets on how I won:

Before posting any map, print it out, dip it in tea, crruple it up, let it dry, and then scan it.

Well, that's it really. Just dip your maps in tea.

Thank you everyone, this year's contest was fun, and I can't wait until next year.

Er....gotta love this guy's enthusiasm if nothing else. :)

Good work euio. That was a good map.
Thanks. While I was making my map, I was expecting to have to use MS PUblisher for text to be able to curve it, but later, I accidentally discovered the program I use can curve text, making everything much easier.:)

Thande

Donor
euio, just had a thought - you don't live near Boston do you? Because that would explain what the Americans did with all that tea... ;)