Map Contest: Round V

Round V

First here are the rules again in case you have forgotten them.

You have one week (and one day) to finish this challenge. Round three maps must be in by 6 PM EST next Thursday. Remember you can post your map at any time but the first map you post is the one we are going to accept (any additional ones will be ignored). This will be the last contest that new contestants are welcome to enter as the last and sixth one will be to crown the champion (well of those of you who are not judges because we all know the pantless one [Diamond] would no doubt have crushed all competition mercilessly ;) ).

***Remember to use the Map Contest Discussion thread for all comments as we don't want to clutter up this thread with comments.***

With that out of the way the contest challenge is... :drum roll:

dum...dum...dum...dum

A post-1900 PoD. This one is going to be a bit more challenging in that the scenario has been picked for you. The map challenge is to create a map that shows at least six nations fractured from the aftermath of the first world war (or the resulting influenza outbreak that occurred on its heels). This can include the Austro-Hungarian Empire or not that's your call. But at least one nation must be from Europe and one from Asia. (And no breaking off the Dominions from the UK and calling that fractured...)

Good luck and may the best map maker win!

Right, well I'll start off- Don't think it's one of my best frankly, but there we are...

WW1.jpg

The TL the map is from is based on a WW1 Scenario I played through using The Operational Art of War- the Piero Fallotti one if you know it.

Essentially, the war went rather differently; To cut a very long story short the Ottomans, Italians, Serbs and Russians do worse then OTL, while the Germans and and especially the Austrians do rather better. The Allies still win, but only by forcing the Germans back to their own border in early 1919; Austria seeks a seperate peace after effectively knocking the Italians out of the war a few months earlier.

In any case, the 6 fractured nations are:

1: Russia, which collapsed six months earlier then OTL and at the time of this map being published is embroiled in a bloody civil war.

2: The Ottoman Empire which collapsed in late 1915 and then saw a civil war between pro-German and pro-Entente factions.

3: Germany which has been punished for its more successful defence of the West by being balkanised, although the successor states tend to be deeply unstable and unpopular.

4: Austria, which survives the war but only just; it is now a very loose confederation with one of the few remaining links being Kaiser Karl as head of state. While not broken it is certainly fractured, especially as tensions rise between Bohemia-Moravia and Hungary over the status of Slovakia...

5: Denmark, which was subject to a spot of Churchillian naval adventurism in 1915 and got itself occupied by the Germans as a result; Britain occupied Iceland to prevent it's use as a German submarine base and the following four years of enforced seperation meant that something pretty similar to OTL's events in the 1940's happened.

6: The United Kingdom, which saw Irish troubles rather similar to OTL's- Ireland proper is no longer an integral part of the UK although Ulster is.

Is it within the rules to simply stake a claim to an OTL map, since we really had fractures of
1) Austria-Hungary
2) Russia (Asian requirement)
3) Great Britain (i.e. Republic of Ireland)
4) Ottoman Empire (does this also count as Asia?)
5) German Empire (end of 2nd Reich/lost all overseas territories, including Asian ones to Japan)
6) China (last remnants of Empire now controlled by regional warlords).

If you want, I'll post a very pretty OTL map from circa 1925.

Is it within the rules to simply stake a claim to an OTL map, since we really had fractures of
1) Austria-Hungary
2) Russia (Asian requirement)
3) Great Britain (i.e. Republic of Ireland)
4) Ottoman Empire (does this also count as Asia?)
5) German Empire (end of 2nd Reich/lost all overseas territories, including Asian ones to Japan)
6) China (last remnants of Empire now controlled by regional warlords).

If you want, I'll post a very pretty OTL map from circa 1925.

No, you can not use an OTL map, nor can you just do OTL it must be of an ATL bent. The map must be original.

Also please post any questions in the Discussion thread as this thread is solely for maps.

And now, a central powers victory.

Fractured Nations:
1. Britain, forced to recognize a united Ireland's independence or face starvation.
2. Russia, which ceded numerous territories and went through a popular revolution that was crushed by the Germans.
3. Belgium, which was split into two separate nations.
4. Romania, which was split into two separate nations.
5. China, which was punished for allying with the Entente by being forced to give independence to the German dominated province of Shandong.
6. Serbia, which was separated from its Macedonian provinces and absorbed by Austria, Albania, and Bulgaria.
7. Greece, which had to cede territory to Bulgaria.

Con5.png

Map_Contest_V_by_Baihard.jpg

and if for some reason that doesnt work, here is the URL

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/43746148/

There are two versions of the Map synopsis; the first, shorter less indepth one is posted here. the Longer, more indepth one is posted on my Deviantart page at the link. feel free to read both.

The short version:

1909, the Bosnian crisis goes hot. Russia v. Germany and Austria. Russia wreaked by 1905 looses. Independent Poland and Baltic states. Austria gains full influence over the Balkans. Pro-democracy forces seize St Petersburg, Overthrow the Tsar, install his brother as Tsar, and instigate reforms.
Great War starts in 1918 over German aggression towards Portuguese colonies. Germany, Austria, Serbia, Ottomans vs. Britain, France, Italy, Portugal, Greece, Bulgaria.

In 1920, Europe teeters on the edge of collapse as two years of total war consume the continent. England courts Russia, who joins the Entente on conditions that the Balkans and the Ottoman Empire will be in Russia’s sphere of influence. Britain agrees on the condition that Poland remains independent.

Russia enters the war, but it’s not enough to save France or Italy. Both collapse into Communist revolution. Britain, isolated from her allies and slowly running out of food, seeks peace with a Germany that has revolutionaries in the streets. Peace best described as ‘Germany looses less then Britain’
Belgium disappears, but Britain gets half of Portugal’s colonies. Austria collapses during the negotiations, and the Ottoman Empire dies under the Greece, Bulgarian and Russian armies.

The six nations are:

Belgium (divided up and annexed)
France (anti-communist states)
Italy (anti-communist states)
Austria (ethnic tensions)
Ottoman Empire (broken up, and civil war)
Serbia (civil war between Monarchists and pro-Russian forces)

- - -

Its rather large: so large in fact that in JPEG form its to large to upload onto AH.com

Here's my entry, with inspiration from Ed.

Map4ContestIMPROVED.png

Countries fractured are:

Germany (Duh!)
Russia (Loss of Moldavia, Poland-Lithuania, Finland
Austria-Hungary (Duh once more.)
France (Savoy Nationalism)
Italy (Savoy Nationalism)
Turkey (Albano-Bulgarian Empire takes over)
Greece (Albano-Bulgarian Empire takes over)

Albano-Bulgaria? Huh?

Um... Dynastic marriage?

Thande

Donor
Wasn't going to post anything this week but I found I had some time just before the due date.

Therefore:

Fractured countries: Germany, Austria-Hungary, Russian Empire, Ottoman Empire (fulfilling the Asian requirement), Britain, and (wait for it...) Luxembourg. :D

Czechia, the Rhine Confederation, Panslavia and Mecklenburg are all the same colour because they're French-backed states.

I made a nice textured version but it was too big to upload :(, so enjoy the vanilla one.

Contest5-4.PNG

...and the winner of the map contest round V is...

:drum roll:

dum...dum...dum...dum...

EdT!

Congrats to EdT for his winning of round V, and a big round of applause to all the other contestants as there were some really good maps.

Because EdT has already won a previous round the runner-up for this round (chosen by Diamond) will represent this round in the final round (i.e. the next round). Keep posted for sometime today when Diamond posts the runner-up list in the general discussion thread to see who won the runner-up slot, I know I will.