Map Contest IV: Round III

Reminder use the Discussion Thread for all discussions, questions, etc. Violators will punished accordingly. After this post the only thing that should appear are maps that adhere to this contest. General rules for the contest can also be found in that thread.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is this round's challenge: Off to the New World!

This challenge is designed to let your creative juices flow. Your task is to populate the New World with things substantially different from OTL.

This can include using fantasy creatures (dragons, elves, orcs, etc.) or a cornucopia of human nations. No need to restrict yourself to just Native Americans either if you want European, African, or Asian peoples too, feel free!

You may also completely redraw the continents of the New World if you'd like. Don't like how North American and South America look, want Atlantis to replace the Caribbean, it is your call.

The restrictions are thus though:

• There must be at least two continents (if you decide to change the make-up of the New World at all...else you don't need to worry about this one).
  • Each region (i.e. North America, South America, Central America, the Caribbean, etc.) must have at least three nations of some type. There is no upper limit.
  • The technology of these peoples can range anywhere from what Native Americans in OTL had to no more than fifty years more than what the rest of the world would have. Also if you'd like these new people in the New World to have magic or the like that's cool too.
  • The rest of world is exactly the same as it was on the day Columbus "discovered" the New World.
    [edit]
  • The map must be on a continental scale. Also I'll give anyone who chooses this path that if you are doing a more targeted map (i.e. just a single continent) then you'll need to be far more detailed in what you do than if you'd be looking at a larger scale. For instance I expect more detailed information the further I zoom in Google maps.
  • The map can be from any point say 1300 AD up to 1700 AD, but as stated Europe, Asia, etc. are the exact same up to 1492 AD.
    [/edit]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Because it is the holidays and I'm feeling generous you have two weeks.

Remember ask any questions in the Discussion Thread.

Best of luck to all the contestants,

Chief Judge SK

Last edited:

Krall

Banned
The restrictions were sort of confusing, but I hope this map meets the requirements.

Colombus sails West to find a strange land filled with strange people. Gradually he and his crew begin to understand the nature of this New World more and more. A nation known as The Patriarchy politically and religiously dominates this land, using governments and tribes loyal to it as its enforcers. Chief among these enforcers are the two Domains, the Domain of the Kukanai and the Domain of the Chokoni. On this first trip Colombus meets with representatives of the Chokoni who welcome him and flaunt the wonders of their realm, their vast cities and entire armies with gold-plated armour.

The King of Spain finds this all very interesting, and a second journey soon begins. This time Colombus sails West, to where the Kukanai and the Patriarchy itself are said to lie. First he visits many coastal nations, from Gui Hui to Shoyu Assa, before finally coming into contact with the Kukanai. They give Colombus an audience with their Emperor. They feast upon the many delicacies on offer in a vast garden constructed in the middle of a vast marble citadel. Soon Colombus is permitted an audience with the Patriarch himself.

Whilst the Emperor of the Kukanai and the various representatives Colombus had met were all welcoming and relatively casual, the Patriarch is not. Whilst the Patriarch does not denounce Colombus and his nation he seems to make it his task to intimidate him. Colombus is forced to climb a giant, golden staircase, at the top of which a throne sits with a large, dark grey-skinned man sits. His head and face are obscured by his large, black mask, a garment forever fixed in a sneer, looking down at Colombus as he wearily collapses at the Patriarch's feet. Whilst visiting the Patriarch Colombus is witness to many miracles. The Patriarch first turns crude oil into water. When Colombus speaks of Jesus the Patriarch then turns the water into wine. The Patriarch claims to be the chosen one of God, the holy representative of Him on Earth. Colombus falls before his feet, believing this to be true.

When he returns to Europe he is accused of blasphemy by some, and they are accused of blasphemy by others. Wars rage over the Patriarch and his place in religion, but, soon enough, the New World sends its own ships and men, and finds the Old World at a disadvantage...

There's a PNG version here, which is better quality:
http://kurarun.deviantart.com/art/The-New-World-107262838

NewWorldDotNetGif.gif

Deleted member 4898

Map. Language groups of the America's on the eve of European conquest.

MapContest.png

Roman America

In 1492, sailing for the crown of Spain, Christopher Columbus sets foot on an island which in OTL would be called Puerto Rico. He claims the land for Spain and Christendom. Little does Columbus know this land is already part of a formidable empire, and that he has just declared war on New Carthage.

ITTL coming to America is no new thing. People have been doing it throughout history... they just haven't come back to the Old World to tell about it, either because they want to keep the profits to themselves or fled to America becuase they have nowhere to go back to.

This map is of the world as the exiled American Romans know it, although it is obviously more accurate than the maps they actually make. If the Latin is a little off, that's because over the centuries it's changed into an American Vulgate, not because it's been a while since highschool Latin :rolleyes::p.

NA.PNG

North Trinidad, 1700 AD.

How the New World became known as Trinidad is heavily debated, but the most common explanation is a Spanish corruption of the capital of the Southern Empire, Teka-ne-don, associating it with the Spanish word for the Trinity. Other explanations include feast days on which discoveries occurred, etc. It is heavily debated in academic circles to this day.

The Elvish peoples who occupy the largest part of this continent formed scattered principalities around the Gulf and the island of Ocana. The bulk of the principalities were united under the Old Empire around 700 AD, excepting those on Ocana and several in the area now occupied by Maryland. The Old Empire lasted until the Great Division of 1231, where the Dark Elves of the south and the Light Elves of the north agreed to part ways. Civil wars consumed the North Empire, while the South Empire fell under increasing attack by the Diaboli, a sea-dwelling wild amphibious race of monsters who dwell in the oceans that bear their name and terrorize and lay waste to a large amount of the land, much of which remains untamed in this period. They are not to be confused with the Sea People, a more civilized and intelligent amphibious people whose kingdom was a traditional vassal of the Old Empire, now a vassal of the Southern Empire, though Spanish influence has been growing and much of the population has become Catholic.

The 1492 journey of Christopher Columbus and the meeting of the New World with the Old World changed many things. Over time the Spanish established themselves on what is now called the Columbian Peninsula, where posts were established to trade with the wealthy Southern Empire. The Dutch established the Trinidad Company, which became quite wealthy and gained from the Emperor of Ocana a monopoly on trade between the island Empire and the West, and another lucrative trading post in the South at Terra Factory. France has begun expanding their trade in the north, a lightly-populated land primarily by the human Inuit, though their claims seem likely to bring them into conflict with Ocana, which sees the north as being its land of influence, and has looked upon the establishment of the French settlement at St-Louis with some concern.

California, a human kingdom of the west part of the continent occupying a rocky and barely inhabitable island, deserves some mention. Ruled by a matriarchal group of Amazons, it has often kept itself out of Elvish politics, separated as it is by the Dragon plains, of which crossing is difficult and fierce, though a thriving trade has gone up with the Southern Empire in more recent years, and it has had historically good relations with the Asian nations of the East. It remains in this time a subject of many myths of its wealth and power.

kaeshite5.png

Reminder use the Discussion Thread for all discussions, questions, etc. Violators will punished accordingly. After this post the only thing that should appear are maps that adhere to this contest. General rules for the contest can also be found in that thread.

Chief Judge SK

How come i'm disqualified?
How do I get undisqualified?

See the above bolded text found in the first post.

Chief Judge SK

P.S. You can become undisqualified if you can convince either EdT or Imperator (the other judges) to intercede on your behalf and show you mercy. For you shall find none from me.

How come i'm disqualified?
How do I get undisqualified?

"As in previous years use this thread for any discussions or questions concerning any of the map challenges, the rules, or just praise/ridicule of each individual map. Again if I (or one of the other judges) so much as catch a single post in one of the challenge threads that does not contain a map that has to do with said challenge that poster forfeits that round (repeat offenders will be banned from the contest)."

And yes, I know I'm banned as well.

VT45

Banned
After the tearing asunder of the Great Empire of the Elves and the War of Gabigatholian Succession, the New World was an absolute mess, politically speaking. Therefore, the European powers sat down in the Mannish city of Ghent, and laid out once and for all the boundaries between the "civilised" states of the New World.

Untitled.png

It is somewhere around 1580/1600 AD.

Columbus has sailed and helped to establish the realm of New Spain, a polygot collection of various colonies established for riches in the New World. In his wake, several allied nations have been added - such as Mexico. The difficulty in expanision does lie in the constant nagging presence of the English colonies to the north and The Colony, a mixed race (Elf/Dwarf/Human) state entirely based on mercantile interests. Above them is the Northern Lands, a collection of vairous Elfish tribes with no set government except for national commercial emergencies.

To the North lies the British colony of New England, currently fighting Spain over the posession of Florida and the Northern Lands.

To the Far North is the French colony of Canada and the Crown Lands of Denmark-Norway. These two European entities are running into the North Dwarven clans as well as armed military support from the Elfish Western/Southern Empires fanatically devoted to drive the humans out of their own lands. Spain has run into some of their military clients (the Southern Trolls/Orcs) whom are eager to pillage anything that might look appealing. Thus, much of Mexico and their realms around OTL Yucatan.

Oregon/California/Columbia are refugee states of mixed species (Dwarf/Elf/Human) who are devoted to stop the Western Empire from getting to the Pacific Ocean.

The Lands of Wolves/The Blight are occupied by werewolves/trolls/orcs/witches and other creatures associated with evil. They are fighting Denmark-Norway over Baffin Island as well as themselves on who controls the North.

The Nortwest Passage has been discovered but the Pirates north and south of The Blight make travel horrendous and most people don't go there.

Dragons occupy OTL Nunuvalt and are currently being an _issue_ for Greenland, which is more of an armed military state than anything else.

working.png

Last edited:

Highlander

Banned
Okay, my entry.

Basically, the New World is inhabited by anthropomorphic animals. This is an ethnic map.

Some quick notes. First, these creatures are now collectively refered to as "Personneloup", a corruption of French for "wolf people".

Koasaw /kasʃɔ/ - Similar to our domesticated canine.
Ska-Reh /skæʔrɑ
/ - A cross between our domesticated feline, lion and lynx. An anomaly on the canine-dominated continent.
Mdewakens /ɛmdɛwækɛn/ - Very similar to the Koasaw, yet more leaning towards a wolf.

Keton-Mdewakens /kitoʊn ɛmdɛwækɛn/ - Wolf-like, with minor traces of domesticated canine.
Massaxtic /mæsæʔtɪk/ - Vulpine-like, with distant relations with the Mdewakens.
Ouaco /oʊk/ - Similar to a jackal, they are more foreign, remnants of the Eaztic (Aztec analog) empire.

Personneloup_by_Alt_Reality.jpg

VT45

Banned
At the behest of some members, I'm reposting my map so that the rest of the text is legible. Part 1.

Untitled.jpg

my map. Basically I replaced the American continent with a Fantasy continent complete with stereotypical fantasy nations and semi-historical ones. Date is somewhere around 1550 AD

Untitled-3.jpg

Well, here's my submission. I'm not sure if it's exactly within the restrictions, but I hope it is.

For a long time in Europe, there were great stories of vast lands to the west. In 1492, Columbus set out to find the mythical western passage to the Indies, and inadvertently stumbled upon a continent already populated with many peoples, some of them similar to various groups of Europeans. The Aztec and Basque peoples had been natives to these lands forever, but some had migrated from the east. The Minoans had come after the volcanic eruption at Thera, the Welsh had arrived in the 6th century after the voyage of Saint Brendan, and the Norse had arrived after the voyages of Leif Erikkson.

However, the land was not just populated by these diverse groups of humans, but also by numerous mythical creatures as well. During the voyages of Columbus and subsequent European explorers, they would find many of the creatures popularized in ancient myth; gryphons, dragons, and minotaurs just to name a few. In the coming decades the two continents would discover each other after having been lost for centuries, and a new era in history would dawn.

Here is my humble entry:

Columbus spots the new world and suddlenly sunk by a hurricane

This leads to a very different Carribean

(A. R Briittany is the Autonomous Republic of Brittany, a French holding which administrates the chain granted to it)

ygicopy.png

In this timeline, Columbus Crosses the Atlantic and spots land. Landing at the beach did not go so well when he was approached by people brandishing primitive Hand cannons. After the ship was captured it was sailed to the nearby city of Stumalia, where he was to learn how the American continent Had been Colonised by the early Antaleans before the island sank. They had come to dominate most of the America's (The Far north and most of South America still has the Remnants of the Centuar people that once controlled the entire Continent.)

From here Europe will not colonise, but trade.

The Political situation is a tense one, the continent is split in two over religious issues (Negoth, Coroloban, Rithumel and the Mipalia Free Cities, vs Uranamal, Deltand, Arcene and Fellantina). The Rebsend Islands, The City-State of Nimjal and the Kingdom of Consulous normally stay out of this confilct. Technology wise the American States are about 70 or so years behind Europe, but still have primitive Gunpowder Weapons which should advance quickly with contact to europeans.

Round 3 Map.PNG