Map Challenge: An Imperial World

Rex Romanum

Banned
Anyone interested enough to explain this?
(the idea is to have the WHOLE world, except Antartica, is owned by Global Empires. Feel free to change the colors and borders, though)

An Imperial World.gif

Rex Romanum

Banned
If your interested in a timeline with a similiar idea, why not try Tony Jones' Monarchy World Timeline.

Its quite fun, and is based around the concept of Russia, China, and Britain being top dogs on a global scale, with some smaller European empires as well.

http://www.clockworksky.net/monarchy_world/ah_mw_world.html

Thank you for your sugestion...
Actually I want the world is owned by european global empires, with the whole China and Middle East are partitioned among them.
Anyway do you have any comment for my map?

How is Portugal keeping such a ridiculous amount of territory down? What happened to Russia? Why are the OTL borders overlaid? Why are there so many arbitrary OTL borders in a world with an obvviously early POD? How has Britain kep down a setler so much larger and more populous and more powerful than their own? How has France done the same with such a large area? How does France own Mexico when they hadn't really attacked the place until 1863 OTL?

Rex Romanum

Banned
How is Portugal keeping such a ridiculous amount of territory down? What happened to Russia? Why are the OTL borders overlaid? Why are there so many arbitrary OTL borders in a world with an obvviously early POD? How has Britain kep down a setler so much larger and more populous and more powerful than their own? How has France done the same with such a large area? How does France own Mexico when they hadn't really attacked the place until 1863 OTL?

Hmm, maybe the Europeans only have loose control over their empire, or maybe it's not an "empire" but more like Union/ Commonwealth...?
And about OTL borders... well this is actually only a "crude" version of the map, the borders in this ATL is not exactly looks like that.
(anyway, in map challenge it is the other person who must explain the map, right?)

Rex Romanum

Banned

Russia is one of the empires in the map (it is in grey color).
Hmm, maybe the Europeans only have loose control over their empire, or maybe it's not an "empire" but more like Union/ Commonwealth...?
And about OTL borders... well this is actually only a "crude" version of the map, the borders in this ATL is not exactly looks like that.
(anyway, in map challenge it is the other person who must explain the map, right?)

Well, the only way I see it is for some kind of attitude change or successful policy of the empires populations being assimilated in their respective spheres. Perhaps over time monarchs have become truly accepted by distant populations and the world attitude is of the same though ... monarchs are what makes this world. This is going to require something that makes the massive populations feel as much part of their empires as do those from the 'mother' nation. You've given each empire options for having the manpower to compete with each other so some kind of balance could be attained. Duel (or more) empires for each.

A Brazilian - Portuguese - Manchurian
An Anglo - Indian - African
A Franco - Southern Sino
A Slavic - German
A Latin - Japanese

My questions are basic in nature. I don't know how you have a France this powerful let Russia come up to their doorstep. Seems like the French would have ensured that they have a buffer of at least some parts of OTL Germany. Likewise with Spain (they being the obvious less power here) I don't see how they are able to hold onto to Italy from the Russians while are able to maintain extremely distant Japan. Unlike the other powers they don't have any real 'chains' of connection they could use to migrate troops from elsewhere to hold onto the Islands and peoples there.

Important elements depending on when the POD. France holds the Holy Lands. Portugal has Mecca and is the primary oil holder. France and the UK have the most usable lands. (farming and easily extracted resources) Russia has it's lands much more concentrated and thus not split by oceans.

My quick thoughts are some kind of event in say the late 17th, or early 18th century which causes a change in the European imperial systems. Their empires are integrated with the mother country and each respective empires ideology is spread in the form of the ruling family. For example, the millions of Indians truly see themselves as subjects to whoever holds the Anglo-Indian crown. Perhaps the ruling European families adopting some kind of bizarre inter-marrying with the foreign monarch family of their empire. So the French ruling family has French, Chinese, African, and so and so on running through their veins. A bloodline that is representative of the people. Hard seeing a POD which starts such a chain though ... Interesting thoughts with such a map. How would alliances look? Just from geography I would say it's likely to be Russia & France vs. Spain/Portugal and the UK.

Last edited:
I think this is more realistic. I thought about putting colonies in the America's, but the United States would not have stood for that, especially given how they responded to other crisises between Latin America and Europe.

imperialworld.png

Hmmmmm... while I agree it's a bit more 'realistic' I'm not sure it's related to the OP TL enough to really even be connected. Mainly the inclusion of entirely new empires in Germany, USA, A-H, and Italy veer this much too far away. And it basically uses those empires to replace Spain and Portugal as in this map they are as good as not there ... power wise. Changes too much from the original intent. I do like how you have the UK's borders in Asia a lot though.

My revisions would have retained the split North America ... yet perhaps on more of a river based border or something more common than a simple split. I would have retained Spain in Mexico as if they were able to keep the Western coast of SA then they should be able to keep Mexico. I guess it all depends on where one places the POD and for the OP map to take place I go with a much earlier one than the revised map seems to indicate.

EMPW.jpg

Rough (really) version of kinda how I was seeing things ... but again, my vision for such a TL has an earlier POD than what you envisioned.

Rex Romanum

Banned
Actually what I have on my mind is that not only Spain who first to reach America, but England, France, and Portugal as well (at different place of course). After years of wars and battles, the Europeans decided that it is better to just divided the America between them. And sooner or later, not only America, but the world as well.
Do that sounds implausible?
Anyway, lonewulf and Ariosto, thanks for your opinions and ideas, I really appreciate that...

Actually what I have on my mind is that not only Spain who first to reach America, but England, France, and Portugal as well (at different place of course). After years of wars and battles, the Europeans decided that it is better to just divided the America between them. And sooner or later, not only America, but the world as well.
Do that sounds implausible?
Anyway, lonewulf and Ariosto, thanks for your opinions and ideas, I really appreciate that...

Then why are so many of the African colonial borders OTL?

I think this is more realistic. I thought about putting colonies in the America's, but the United States would not have stood for that, especially given how they responded to other crisises between Latin America and Europe.

imperialworld.png

POD before 1776 then.

Rex Romanum

Banned
Then why are so many of the African colonial borders OTL?

Like I said before, this map is only a rough version. I use OTL borders only to make things easier. You're free to change the border to make it as realistic as possible.
The main idea is to have the European powers make a secret "alliance" and equally divide the world.
The problem is, how?
And is that possible?