'Many Flags campaign/UN Security Council' in Op. Downfall

Alongeside US Forces, more forces where know to participate in the invasion of Japan:
- British Pacific Fleet (already present)
- Tiger Force (joint Commonwealth long-range heavy bomber), plus extra squadrons
- Commonwealth Corps (one UK, one Australian, one Canadian) + one extra division of each nation in Y+40
- Mexico Expeditionary AF or 201 Fighter Squadron
Possibly:
- Australian First Tactical Air Force
- French Expeditionary Corps with two French Colonial Divisions (Algerians, Moroccans, Senegalese, and Foreign Legionaires) alongeside
- French Tactical AF
- Dutch Marine Brigade (only Allied unit that would hit the beach on Y-Day (1 Mar 46))
- One Dutch Destroyer attached to BPF
- 5th Philippine Division (former guerillas) on Y+15

Could have more nations joined the fight in a direct way against Japan from September 1945 onwards, in a similar way the UN did in Korea in 1950's, plus the 'Many Flags' in Vietnam?

Plus, was it possible as well for 'ground' foreign equipment to supplement the Allied force as well, like MacArthur propose placing order over 45,000 Owens smgs?

That's pretty much it. The limitations on shipping would have been enough-without His Majesty MacArthur's ego-to preclude additional Allied participation.

The reason im asking is just because it's something i just wanted to know - like: Portugal could have joined and Italy wanted to join, plus ideas i've seen in others ATL's, like Brazilian participation
Or even less unlikely, Soviet ships in Coronet!!

Last edited:
I did my MA Thesis on the planned invasion (both OLYMPIC and CORONET) and found no references to additional Allied participation other than what's been mentioned. As for the Soviets? They likely would've gone into Hokkaido instead.

I did my MA Thesis on the planned invasion (both OLYMPIC and CORONET) and found no references to additional Allied participation other than what's been mentioned. As for the Soviets? They likely would've gone into Hokkaido instead.

Are you saying that it would be an US only operation or that the OP has listed everything that was being sent?

My understanding is that it was to be mainly the US and some UK and that’s it. Though I suspect that some French naval would eventually show up (Richelieu and some DD’s) and that the Soviets world do their own thing solo.

No, it would have had pretty much what the OP listed. The French Expeditionary Corps had been accepted "in principle" by the JCS, but the exact composition had not been decided when V-J Day came. (Two Colonial Divisions with some Foreign Legionnaires, several tacair squadrons, and a naval contingent is likely)

The JCS had to accept Allied contingents in the name of Allied Unity, but they stipulated two conditions: 1) All Allied ground forces had to be supplied through the U.S. logistical system, given the issues with shipping. And 2) Those Allied Divisions not in theater (like the Australian 10th, which was in Borneo) had to train in the U.S. prior to deployment to Japan. The Army and Marines had or were in the process of constructing training areas with mockups of Japanese cave and bunker defenses, and American units redeploying from Europe were also going to undergo similar training.