Man-Made Hell: The History of the Great War and Beyond

Is this a good timeline?

• Yes, it's great!

Votes: 198 56.9%
  • Yes, it has a few flaws but is still good.

Votes: 111 31.9%
  • No, it's very implausible.

Votes: 28 8.0%
  • No, it's boring.

Votes: 11 3.2%

• Total voters
Whelp, it's been about half a month, but I'm happy to say that the latest chapter of Dreams of Liberty were recently finished which means that I'll probably start working on chapter two of Manmade Hell sometime this week!

For those who don't know, I'm writing three timelines and update them in the following order:

Manmade Hell
Das Ewige Reich
Dreams of Liberty

It takes me about a month to write a single chapter due to their size, so chapter two of Manmade Hell should come out near the end of October.

Thank you very much for being patient as I work on my other timelines and for taking interest in Manmade Hell. :)

Last edited:
And I'm happy to say that Chapter II has been well underway for about a week! If anyone's interested I'll post the first section of the new chapter as a bit of a sneak peak. :)

So you are embarking on a 'true# GREAT WAR, another 30 years war ... 'only' embracing the whole globe ... rather a dystopian idea, but let's see ... :)

Nice writing of what's largely OTL, though some minor details might be debatable and seem to be a wee ...'tainted' by some slightly subjective view of the historian hindsightly writing this (hi)story - as a few references to later events (-Mosely-) show.
I actually have several PODs in mind but here's the current list of the ones thus far.

• Giovanni Giolitti never resigns from his position as prime minister of Italy in 1914. This consequentially leads to Italian neutrality, at least for awhile.

• The Great War manages to stay out of Africa, that is aside from the occasional border skirmishes. I actually forgot about this POD when writing the chapter, but I'll be sure to mention it in the next chapter.

• Japan never sends the Twenty-One Demands to China thanks to cooler heads winning out due to European backing. Japan only controls former German bases in China and has expanded its sphere of influence in Manchuria instead.

• Without Italy entering the Great War Germany and Austria-Hungary don't have to send any soldiers to fight the Italians. This doesn't do much from Germany, only a few more regiments and resources for their other front lines, however, Austria-Hungary is able to actually fend of the Russians, so no Brusilov Offensive.

• Because the Brusilov Offensive never occurs Romania never joins the Great War. Now poor Greece is all alone in the Balkans fighting the Austrians and Bulgarians.
The POD with Giolitti staying and therefore manufacturing a long(er) neutrality of Italy IITL ... interesting, nice.
... but I assume that you the rtaher 'cheap solution' for the Trentino found ITTL for the time being is one of the reasons, why his popularity soars. At least he manages to get Orlando as his successor ;-).

How you will keep subsaharan Africa out of the conflict is something I'm really interested in.

Well, I assume from what's written in your 1st installment, that something like the Brusilov Offensive will happen
"All attempts by the Russians to invade the Austro-Hungarian Empire failed miserably, especially after the victory in the Balkans allowed thousands of soldiers and resources to be relocated to the frontlines against Russia."
though maybe under another name, another commander and therewith different tactics to make even the early successes of OTL not happen, causiong another massive retreat qout of eastern Galicia and perhaps even out of parts of the Ukraine to make the 'revolution' come earlier ITTL.

And I am really interested in 'your' version of such an early russian revolution and its outcome.:biggrin:

Render me 'hooked' ...
and pls. forgive me for not voting yet ... a wee bit too early in the (hi)story. ;)

Btw, for the purposes of "research", I recomend reading H. G. Wells' "Things to come", where he describes a war starting in 1939... that keeps spreading and never stops...

So you are embarking on a 'true# GREAT WAR, another 30 years war ... 'only' embracing the whole globe ... rather a dystopian idea, but let's see ... :)
Yep, the belligerents will get pretty nasty and the US doesn't have the best future in store. Japan won't be too bad though.

Nice writing of what's largely OTL, though some minor details might be debatable and seem to be a wee ...'tainted' by some slightly subjective view of the historian hindsightly writing this (hi)story - as a few references to later events (-Mosely-) show.
The POD with Giolitti staying and therefore manufacturing a long(er) neutrality of Italy IITL ... interesting, nice.
... but I assume that you the rtaher 'cheap solution' for the Trentino found ITTL for the time being is one of the reasons, why his popularity soars. At least he manages to get Orlando as his successor ;-).
Thank you! I'm happy you enjoy my writing about OTL! While I wouldn't necessarily say that the "author" of the timeline is biased (I never actually design a character that I'm meant to be writing from the perspective of, I just attempt to write from the perspective of someone ITTL) I will admit that I try to write somewhat dramatically like a novel, rather than just your run-of-the-mill straightforward history textbook.

And in all honesty, I'm just trying to keep Italy out of the war for the time being and keeping Giolitti around was the easiest way to do that.

How you will keep subsaharan Africa out of the conflict is something I'm really interested in.
Yes, that's a pretty big challenge I'll face when I get there. Hopefully this will pay off.

Well, I assume from what's written in your 1st installment, that something like the Brusilov Offensive will happen though maybe under another name, another commander and therewith different tactics to make even the early successes of OTL not happen, causiong another massive retreat qout of eastern Galicia and perhaps even out of parts of the Ukraine to make the 'revolution' come earlier ITTL.
Brusilov will most certainly play a big role in the upcoming chapter, but probably not for the reason you're thinking of. As for an alternative Brusilov Offensive, such a thing is difficult to do ITTL because the Austro-Hungarians have a much larger supply of soldiers in Galicia without having to simultaneously focus on Italy. Instead the southwestern front is primarily concerned with maintaining a good defense against the Central Powers.

And I am really interested in 'your' version of such an early russian revolution and its outcome.:biggrin:
Thank you! There won't necessarily be an earlier February Revolution, just one with a completely different outcome. The Russian Civil War, on the other hand...

Render me 'hooked' ...
and pls. forgive me for not voting yet ... a wee bit too early in the (hi)story. ;)
Well, I'm really happy to hear that you enjoy Manmade Hell and I appreciate your analysis and support of the timeline!