Malê Rising

A beautiful and fascinating pair of updates. Wish I had more to say.

A lovely literary update.

Thanks!

This is one of those times when I wish travel between alternate realities was possible, because I'd totally buy that novel.

I'd consider writing it, if I thought for a minute it would sell and if there weren't other things I wanted to do first.

My "Africa... in space!" comment turned out to be quite accurate

To be fair, it was more so in this story than in most. Chishimba wanted to explore some themes that were handled most easily by putting the Europeans and Asians in another part of the universe. Some other stories are similar, and others posit a future in which all humanity has amalgamated into a culture that's mostly African, but many are set in more diverse futures. Some in fact have European heroes, usually German, along with the African ones. The Copperbelt planetary-romance authors come at the question of race from pretty much all directions.

BTW, speaking of this topic, Mwema's homeworld of Mutanda, the former capital of the Union, is LAGOS IN SPACE, although it's based on TTL's Lagos and its culture is Lunda-Lamba-ized. There are other parts of the novel that show it, and other central worlds, in greater detail.

could the awantu's star empire be a loose, sci-fi equivalent of "Nigeria", as in, the mythical West African civilization conceived by ATL's 19th century archaeologists and historians?

In a way. Just as the Nok are the kernel of truth to TTL's Nigeria myth, the awantu of Chifwe/Shinganya did once have an empire - but also, as with Evans' vision of Nigeria, that empire is remembered as much larger, greater and foreign-influenced than it in fact was.

BTW, I hope it was clear that Chishimba used "awantu" as a generic term for alien races (as the term is indeed used in Lamba folklore) - in his universe, it translates roughly to "native" or "skraeling."

As for the awantu's appearance, I imagined them as blue, bipedal mantis/locust beings with breasts; it seems insectoid-but-not-too-much aliens are a constant of sci-fi in all timelines. :D

Well, we've all seen and are familiar with insects, but most humans think of their life cycle and behavior as something alien and incomprehensible, which makes insect models perfect for creating alien-but-not-too-alien races.

Anything more about the story?

Last edited:
You really have a gift for blending the spiritual and mythic into the modern and futuristic. It's something I try to do myself, but it never comes right, at least to me.

TFSmith121

Banned
Actually, with the fedoras and panamas, there's a weird

Isn't it great? It's part of a series of six illustrations created by Lekan Jeyifo as an advertisement for an Ikire Jones clothing line. The setting is Africa in 2081; the second illustration from the bottom is Johannesburg and the one above it is Nairobi, but the other four are Lagos.

They look more 70s-punk to me than 60s, but the main thing is that they capture the Copperbelt sci-fi ethos pretty much exactly. Kazembe is a mining colony made good, so it doesn't view the future as an antiseptic place: street markets in the interstices of futuristic buildings are very much in line with its popular imagination.

Actually, with the fedoras and panamas, there's a weird sub-saharan Africa crossed with Mad Men vibe to it...I'm not sure who the Male-world "Don Damon" would be, but I'm sure there was one.;)

Ogilvy & Mather becomes Okoye & Mbutu? "The Man in the Harambee Shirt"?

Entertaining as always.

Best,

Thanks, everyone. The latest update was particularly satisfying to write, and I liked the way it came out - it's good to see you also did.

You really have a gift for blending the spiritual and mythic into the modern and futuristic.

Thanks - that means a great deal to me. I consider myth-making one of the things that makes us human, and antiseptic science-fiction futures have always rung false. Some of the more inspiring things I read when I was younger were stories like George R.R. Martin's The Stone City, and I've tried to create a similar sense of time, space and legend in my presents and futures. There is more out there than we can imagine - but we will try to imagine it.

BTW, for what it's worth, I was thinking of this as the soundtrack for the first part of the excerpt, where Mwema is approaching the station. And maybe this for later, down on the world. Neither is from Zambia, but you can't have everything.

Will anything like the ethnic secession of Biafra by the Igbo occur on the African continent in this timeline?

Aren't they already separate country ITTL ?

The Igbo do already have their own country, so they're not going to secede. If you're asking whether there will be an ethnic secession anywhere in Africa, the Bloody Forties in East Africa were already pretty much that. Several ethnic states, as well as multiethnic ones, formed as a result of that conflict. There may be more to come in parts of central Africa where state structures are still weak.

Actually, with the fedoras and panamas, there's a weird sub-saharan Africa crossed with Mad Men vibe to it...I'm not sure who the Male-world "Don Damon" would be, but I'm sure there was one.;)

I actually got more of a noir detective story vibe (no pun intended) from the top panel - the guy in the foreground with the panama hat has that look to him - but a couple of the others could be Mad Men, at least in a world where suits are allowed to have patterns and colors.

Now I'm wondering about advertising culture ITTL, especially in Africa. It would exist - mass media plus even a restrained form of capitalism makes it inevitable - but it would have to fit into a less consumerist overall culture and would also have a much broader target demographic. Depending on how the variables play out, this could mean more unbridled creativity in ad campaigns. I'm almost envisioning TTL's version of Mad Men as an absurdist comedy.

The next update will return to our regularly scheduled program.

TFSmith121

Banned
Noir (unpunintended) in a syncretic sub-saharan Africa would be

I actually got more of a noir detective story vibe (no pun intended) from the top panel - the guy in the foreground with the panama hat has that look to him - but a couple of the others could be Mad Men, at least in a world where suits are allowed to have patterns and colors.

Now I'm wondering about advertising culture ITTL, especially in Africa. It would exist - mass media plus even a restrained form of capitalism makes it inevitable - but it would have to fit into a less consumerist overall culture and would also have a much broader target demographic. Depending on how the variables play out, this could mean more unbridled creativity in ad campaigns. I'm almost envisioning TTL's version of Mad Men as an absurdist comedy.

The next update will return to our regularly scheduled program.

Noir (unpunintended) in a syncretic sub-saharan Africa would be entertaining ... interesting place for Edwardian "adventure" type writers, whether Doyle or Haggard, as well.

Suits with patterns and colors? Surely you have not missed the horror that is a full cleveland leisure suit, made from the hide of the wild polyester...often with wild nauga accessories...;)

Best,

Suits with patterns and colors? Surely you have not missed the horror that is a full cleveland leisure suit, made from the hide of the wild polyester...often with wild nauga accessories...;)

Personally, I'm hoping much of the Malê-verse gets to a point where Western formal wear (such as suits/ties) are abandoned in favor of more traditional formal wear (or hybrids). Kaftans, sherwanis, hanfu... They could all take patterns without looking awful, and all look better than suits to begin with :p
With any luck, these formal wear alternatives could start making inroads in the Euro-American world, too... It would be fun to see British businessmen have to don sherwanis to be taken seriously ;)

Noir (unpunintended) in a syncretic sub-saharan Africa would be entertaining ... interesting place for Edwardian "adventure" type writers, whether Doyle or Haggard, as well.

Late Victorian and Edwardian writers used Africa as a setting often enough IOTL, so I'm sure they'd do so ITTL. But Africa ITTL is much less of a terra incognita, and it's also seen much more as a place with ideas and history that are worth exploring. I expect there were more books like Haggard's Nada the Lily, in which all the characters were African and in which Africans were heroes in their own right rather than adjuncts to Europeans. There would also be more contemporary adventure stories by African or African-diaspora writers - I've already mentioned the South Carolina dime novels with African themes. Of course, there would also be plenty of stories with more conventional attitudes.

I expect there would be something like noir also, at least in the broad sense of a genre expressing the cynicism of the twentieth century. TTL, too, has corruption, social atomization, changes happening too fast for many people's comfort - and this might be especially true in parts of Africa where the transition to modernity happened so quickly. I can easily imagine a noir-type genre taking root in Angola and Mozambique, or Zanzibar or even the industrial Copperbelt.

Personally, I'm hoping much of the Malê-verse gets to a point where Western formal wear (such as suits/ties) are abandoned in favor of more traditional formal wear (or hybrids). Kaftans, sherwanis, hanfu... They could all take patterns without looking awful, and all look better than suits to begin with :p

With any luck, these formal wear alternatives could start making inroads in the Euro-American world, too... It would be fun to see British businessmen have to don sherwanis to be taken seriously ;)

The West is still the richest and most powerful region, so suits will still have cachet - there might still be fashion movements like the Congolese sapeurs. On the other hand, there's likely to be an earlier and more widespread shift away from Western-style suits as the business norm in the developing world, and by the 70s there might be an expectation that Western businessmen will wear local formal dress when doing business in Africa or Asia. I doubt British businessmen would need to wear sherwanis in London, but they might need to do so in India - although weren't sherwanis partly based on British formal wear to begin with?

And on a completely different topic, help yourself to some 1970s Zambian music with a side order of Hendrix.

Late Victorian and Edwardian writers used Africa as a setting often enough IOTL, so I'm sure they'd do so ITTL. But Africa ITTL is much less of a terra incognita, and it's also seen much more as a place with ideas and history that are worth exploring. I expect there were more books like Haggard's Nada the Lily, in which all the characters were African and in which Africans were heroes in their own right rather than adjuncts to Europeans. There would also be more contemporary adventure stories by African or African-diaspora writers - I've already mentioned the South Carolina dime novels with African themes. Of course, there would also be plenty of stories with more conventional attitudes.

Considering that he wrote about Japan ITTL would Karl May wrote about West Africa and the Congo as well?

Also does Tintin exist or what else is the flagship of the Franco belgic comics?

Merry Christmas to Malê Rising readers

eishnpB.jpg

Anand Satyanand, Forward Australasia (Auckland: Kiwi, 2009)

… The victory of several indigenous rights activists in the 1940 parliamentary election [1] brought issues of citizenship and land tenure to the forefront of Australasian politics, and also brought a new dimension to the generations-old debate over immigration. It wasn’t only whites who were ambivalent about the growing number of newcomers from southern Europe, the Andes and Indochina: many indigenous people also considered them competitors for jobs and land. In New Zealand, where Maori agricultural workers increasingly competed with immigrants from Peru and Ecuador, there were protests and occasional clashes: similar incidents occurred in New Caledonia where the minority Kanak population felt in danger of losing its traditional economic niches, and in Fiji where the recently-enfranchised Indians were calling for land reform. A significant portion of the indigenous rights movement rallied around the slogan “Australasia First,” calling for a moratorium on immigration until native land and cultural issues were fully addressed.

This would cause some unexpected complications in the campaign to extend citizenship rights to all indigenous people. Given the attitude of Queensland and Western Australia toward Aboriginal citizenship, it was generally accepted that this would require a constitutional amendment transferring control over nationality from the states to the federation. But such a transfer would also mean a uniform, nationwide system for naturalizing immigrants, which many indigenous people opposed. When this was combined with lingering white resistance to centralization, even in the more progressive states, the critical mass for federalizing civil rights wasn’t there.

The failure of the Nationality Amendment of 1947 showed how the immigrant and indigenous rights movements worked against each other. The amendment won a narrow majority of voters nationwide, and passed in Victoria, South Australia, Tasmania and New South Wales. But in addition to failing in Queensland, Western Australia and Fiji as expected, it also lost by 11,000 votes in New Zealand and 2200 in New Caledonia, with heavy opposition from Maori and Kanak voters, who already had citizenship, providing the margin of defeat in those states. This denied the amendment the “dual majority” – a majority of states as well as a majority of voters – that it needed to pass.

The result of the 1947 referendum made some indigenous activists wonder whether they could achieve reform through the political process, and also threatened a split between the Maori and Melanesians on the one hand, and the Australian Aborigines on the other. Ironically, it would be Queensland that showed the way to regroup. With the exception of the Torres Strait Islanders, both Aborigines and Asians were denied citizenship there, and while Andean immigrants were theoretically eligible, many practical obstacles were put in their way and they were shunted into rural ghettos. As early as the 1930s, the Torres Strait-dominated leadership of the indigenous movement had begun to build bridges to the immigrants and the Melanesian contract workers, and in the 1940s, they formed joint labor unions and legal defense funds. Even while they campaigned for the Torres Strait and Cape York to become a separate state, the indigenous activists took part in strikes and protests on behalf of all agricultural workers, and clashes with the Queensland police built a sense of shared struggle.

The Queensland branch of the movement urged similar cooperation nationwide, and some others were willing to listen, including Maori trade unionists who had warmed to the Andeans through a shared campaign for higher agricultural wages. By 1950, a fragile coalition of indigenous activists, immigrants and sympathetic whites had been forged, which attempted to rework the Nationality Amendment in a form acceptable to all parties. When the amendment was reintroduced in 1952, it provided for Aboriginal tribes to receive title to reserve land and thus some protection against economic dislocation, and while naturalization of immigrants would become a federal matter, any change to immigration law would require the approval of a majority of states.

By 1952, the more metropolitan and progressive states were also thoroughly fed up with Queensland’s Imperial-led government. The forms of indirect pressure that had worked on Fiji in the 1930s, such as economic and sporting sanctions and deliberate bureaucratic delays, proved ineffective against Brisbane, and more people were willing to take direct action against what by now was a national embarrassment. This time, the amendment passed in New Caledonia as well as New Ulster and New Munster (New Zealand having split into two states in the meantime), giving it a majority in the six states it needed to pass. Finally, Aborigines everywhere in Australasia had citizenship and civil rights.

This, of course, did not mean the end of social conflict. In Queensland, a quarter of a million Asian, Melanesian and Andean immigrants were naturalized in federal court by 1957, joining 60,000 newly enfranchised Aborigines, but they were still much in the minority, and the majority continued to use the public order laws to repress political and labor protests. State courts often refused to enforce civil rights laws, and the state government sometimes refused to seat minorities who were elected to city and shire office or to provide services to opposition-controlled localities. In Fiji, the three parallel governments for Europeans, Fijians and Indians proved inadequate to tackle issues that affected all three, particularly whether Indian sugar growers should be able to purchase the lands they leased. The Maori wanted more than the scattered reserve title they had received, and there were sharp disputes within the Maori community as to whether the title should be individual or communal. And everywhere, customary hunting, fishing and gathering rights outside the reserves – recognized by the Northern Territory, Tasmania and South Australia in 1958, but not elsewhere – were increasingly contentious.

In the farthest-flung corners of Australasia, the issue was whether to be part of the federation at all. The former French Polynesia, taken by Britain during the Great War, had become Australasian territories during the denouement of the Imperial period, and the Cook Islands were ceded in 1931, but neither felt much affinity to the union. Their small population and, although no one would admit it, the lack of significant European settlement made the prospect of statehood remote, and while both populations (especially the Cook Islanders) had strong cultural links with the Maori, they felt little kinship to the federation’s other peoples. If anything, the influence of revolutionary Islam during the Great War and the Imperial period and the forced labor uprising of 1918-19 [2] inclined the Society Islanders more toward India and Nusantara than toward metropolitan Australia.

Among the Cook Islanders, many of whom had family in New Zealand and who realized that they were too few to form a fully independent nation, sentiment for outright independence was uncommon. Instead, the majority party sought autonomy within the federation, in an arrangement that would enable them to conduct diplomacy with other Pacific islands and represent themselves in the Consistory, and after amicable negotiations, this was granted in 1959. But in Polynesia, a pro-independence party won control of the territorial legislature in the 1958 election, and in 1961, after attempts to reach agreement with Melbourne proved unsuccessful, issued a unilateral declaration of independence.

The Australasian government was caught flat-footed, and its immediate response was to dissolve the Polynesian legislature and send troops to secure the ports and landing strips. The territorial government refused to accept the dissolution and called a general strike. For two weeks, Polynesia was paralyzed, with daily protests in the capital at which members of the culturally-influential Muslim minority chanted Abacarist slogans. There was a sense of incipient violence, made all the more dangerous when several influential members of the Indian parliament argued that India should recognize and protect Polynesian independence.

Ultimately, however, India acted as mediator rather than instigator. The Indian government, which was appalled at the possibility of being dragged into a conflict with Australasia, offered its services as broker, which were accepted by a federal and provincial government that were both looking for a way to climb down. The discussions were contentious at times, but it was agreed that further moves toward independence would be deferred until after the 1963 election, that the government chosen at that election would decide whether to hold a referendum, and that if the voters approved independence, Polynesia would remain connected to Australasia in the same way as the Copperbelt states to Germany or Mali to France. In the event, the pro-independence coalition was returned to power in 1963, and the following year, 57 percent of the voters chose to leave the union. The Republic of Polynesia, as it then was, remained in association with Australasia, with citizens of both having the right to live, work and vote in the other, but it would also rebuild its old ties to France and forge new ones with the All-India Development Union.

In the meantime, the 1960s were becoming to the struggle for land rights and cultural autonomy as the 1930s and 40s were for citizenship. The spark for this would be lit on the other side of the Pacific, among the American and Canadian Natives who seized on their status as treaty signatories to take their case to the international community. The Australian Aborigines had no treaties, but the Maori did, and although the state courts in New Zealand (and since 1949, New Ulster and New Munster) considered the Treaty of Waitangi an effective nullity, it now gave the Maori standing to join the Consistory and to sue in the Court of Arbitration to construe and enforce their rights.

This move was nearly as controversial among the Maori as it was among the indigenous North Americans, especially since it gave added standing to the titular Maori king. But there could be no arguing with results. The two state governments, fearing an adverse decision in the international courts, moved to settle the lawsuit. In 1967, with Melbourne mediating, both states agreed to recognize Waitangi as positive law, to allow Maori claims to a significantly greater area of state land than they were granted in the 1950s, to grant non-exclusive customary rights over traditional hunting and fishing grounds, and to permit broad autonomy in cultural and educational matters. In exchange, the Maori ceded other disputed claims, including the controversial claim to foreshore and seabed zones, and agreed not to take a position adverse to Australasia in any international forum. This would pave the way for the integration of the Maori as equal partners in Australasian society, something already foreshadowed by the fact that nearly half the land granted to the Maori would be individual rather than iwi land, and that the lead Maori negotiator had both British and mestizo Peruvian ancestry.

The Maori Settlement would have no direct impact on the Australian Aborigines, who lacked the leverage provided by Waitangi. But the existence of the settlement, and the steps toward recognition of customary rights in certain Australian states, became a rallying point for the indigenous rights movement. The movement’s leadership became increasingly militant as the 1960s wore on, staging land occupations and blocking the construction of roads and mines. And as the federal government sought to improve its ties with the independent Pacific and Nusantara, settlement of the remaining land issues would become a priority…

_______

[1] See post 4923.

[2] See posts 2957, 3108 and 3872.

Last edited:

TFSmith121

Banned
Possibly, but here's the thing: anyone looks good in a well-tailored

Possibly, but here's the thing: any man looks good in a well-tailored suit.

NOT everyone looks good in (say) a keffiyah and robes, nehru jacket, dashiki, or whatever.;)

Some of the photos of American presidents in the PI or Indonesia, where they don the "local" shirt/tunic/whatever it is referred to always look forced.

Whereas (almost) anyone can look good in a tux...

Best,

A vastly more optimistic outcome for indigenous rights in this part of the world. Though I thought Melbourne was the capital?