Malê Rising

Excellent couple of updates Jonathan, as usual. You really have a knack for quickly conveying a lot of the culture in your literary updates with almost no info dumping. I'm truly envious.:p

Nice to see Polynesia getting some good coverage and their recognition as sovereign entities in the law. Of course this doesn't prevent outside powers from kicking them around, as is shown; but it's still a revolutionary acknowledgement compared to before when their fate would be decided in some distant diplomatic meeting in Europe over brandy and cigars.

Nice to see some direct coverage on Austalasia too. The very broad coalition between its indigenous is also a cool thing to see. It would be cool if it could grow into or inspire an international organization for indigenous rights, inspired by Abacarist ideals:D:cool:.

The Abcar family have had a huge influence on TTL. I wonder if historians will look upon them as we do, and see the interlinked strands?

I've wondered that too. I'm sure they will, given the already well known reputation of 'those Abacar women':p And given one of the world's major ideologies shares the name of a living and influential family, this will probably be a given.

I think you'd still be lucky yo get mass non white Immigration to Australasia at this point unless you've managed to really advance things socially there as well as elsewhere. Iirc migration is a state thing in this tl which might help a bit though.

That being said if you can get South Americans in under the Southern European label then that would do it. All you really need is a good urban wedge and that make it easier to open up to other groups. Long term, the pacific island states are going to be your wedges too, Fiji iirc was the driver for Indian migration in NZ and possibly Australia.

In the final though, right? ;)

In the semifinal, at least.

Also, I was thinking, you might see a North South divide when it comes to soccer and cricket.

Soccer would be an easier game to play when at war, and with a larger number of Indians having fought in Europe, you could see it transmit. Cricket might also get somewhat denounced as the game of the rich- while soccer becomes popular. Given Calcutta's love of soccer from the past OTL added to these factors would mean that you might see India actually field a good team.

Madras' better relationship with Britain would mean that they might retain more love for cricket compared to the Republic.

Hmmm. Soccer could easily gain ground in northern India, but I don't think cricket would disappear - by the time of the revolution, India had been British long enough for cricket to be well-established. Maybe there would be a left-right divide, with the left shunning cricket as an "elite" sport, or maybe the left would support cricket becoming a working-class game with single day matches. I could see both cricket and soccer being sandlot games among the youth.

Madras would certainly be more of a cricketing country - possibly Hyderabad and Mysore as well.

The Abcar family have had a huge influence on TTL. I wonder if historians will look upon them as we do, and see the interlinked strands?

I've wondered that too. I'm sure they will, given the already well known reputation of 'those Abacar women':p And given one of the world's major ideologies shares the name of a living and influential family, this will probably be a given.

On the other hand, they don't have OTL to compare against their history. Paulo the Elder will certainly be known as a visionary who gave his name to Islamic republicanism, the Nana Asma'u and Aisha as pioneers of education, Usman as a statesman and general, Funmilayo as a feminist author and politician, Paulo the Younger as an accomplished diplomat - but the more subtle influence of their ideas outside Africa might not be as apparent, and TTL's historians might not see all the threads we do.

Nice to see Polynesia getting some good coverage and their recognition as sovereign entities in the law. Of course this doesn't prevent outside powers from kicking them around, as is shown; but it's still a revolutionary acknowledgement compared to before when their fate would be decided in some distant diplomatic meeting in Europe over brandy and cigars.

The difference between their fate being decided at European diplomatic meetings versus European boardrooms isn't always great. Still, companies are opponents closer to their size than the great powers would be, and legal sovereignty gives them more room to maneuver, so they're somewhat more masters of their own fate than OTL. By the present day they'll be ranged pretty widely along the success scale, although for some, success will come at a price.

Nice to see some direct coverage on Austalasia too. The very broad coalition between its indigenous is also a cool thing to see. It would be cool if it could grow into or inspire an international organization for indigenous rights, inspired by Abacarist ideals:D:cool:.

I expect Abacarist ideals will be in there somewhere, even if they're in an attenuated form - by this time, Abacarism has provided inspiration to enough of the anti-colonial and civil rights movement that threads of it are nearly always there. The Tahitian Muslims might bring it in somewhat more directly, although their ideology, filtered through India, is more of a Belloist-Ahmadi sort.

At any rate, a coalition of indigenous Australasians, some of whom are powerful in their own home states, could be very effective - but don't discount the possibility of internal conflict, given their very different legal and social positions.

I think you'd still be lucky yo get mass non white Immigration to Australasia at this point unless you've managed to really advance things socially there as well as elsewhere. Iirc migration is a state thing in this tl which might help a bit though.

That being said if you can get South Americans in under the Southern European label then that would do it. All you really need is a good urban wedge and that make it easier to open up to other groups. Long term, the pacific island states are going to be your wedges too, Fiji iirc was the driver for Indian migration in NZ and possibly Australia.

I was actually thinking that the Latin American immigrants would be classified as "Spaniards," albeit ones that often don't look very Spanish. Also, the earlier Indian immigration has softened Australasia up somewhat - Fiji and Queensland (where the Asian and Melanesian contract laborers weren't made to go home) were the wedges, and while the reaction was very hostile at first, they eventually became an integral part of the trade-union movement and a Labor Party constituency. Forty years of fighting that struggle and Latin Americans might not seem too bad, not to mention that the Imperials' example has made the most blatant forms of racism unfashionable in much of the country.

I suspect the party system may be a little more complicated in this timeline than a simple Labour-Right Party split.

Stronger Catholic identity (Papal Legion etc), the Imperialists, less homogeneity, new, faraway states and of course race, shall be pulling that way. Maybe Australasian politics is more Canadian? More violent swings between parties (3 way electorate battles, strong regional party fortresses for even minor parties, etc) maybe?

The difference between their fate being decided at European diplomatic meetings versus European boardrooms isn't always great. Still, companies are opponents closer to their size than the great powers would be, and legal sovereignty gives them more room to maneuver, so they're somewhat more masters of their own fate than OTL. By the present day they'll be ranged pretty widely along the success scale, although for some, success will come at a price.

Most definitely. Just more that they're sovereignty is at least legally recognized is a progressive step forward.

I expect Abacarist ideals will be in there somewhere, even if they're in an attenuated form - by this time, Abacarism has provided inspiration to enough of the anti-colonial and civil rights movement that threads of it are nearly always there. The Tahitian Muslims might bring it in somewhat more directly, although their ideology, filtered through India, is more of a Belloist-Ahmadi sort.

At any rate, a coalition of indigenous Australasians, some of whom are powerful in their own home states, could be very effective - but don't discount the possibility of internal conflict, given their very different legal and social positions.

I can see Belloist-Ahmadi strategies, from refusing to cooperate with authorities and setting up parallel institutions working very well (there's plenty of OTL examples, especially of indigenous/tribal people doing such). And as for the coalition, I was going to address concerns about the various different goals and conditions really hampering its progress, but I figured it went without saying. Whether it succeeds or collapses, it'll be interesting to see unfold.

Benares, December 1938

CmVbxZy.jpg

“What did he say?” asked Ujjal Singh, nodding at the doctor who was walking out the front door.

“What anyone with eyes to see can tell. That it won’t be much longer.”

“Don’t say that, Grandmother…”

“Why not?” Sarah answered. “I was born in 1842. I’ve outlived five of my children” – Ujjal was startled for a moment, until he realized she was including Usman’s – “and I’ve damn near outlived the empire I was born in. I’m ninety-six years old, Ujjal, and death at that age is no tragedy.”

Ujjal had often envied Sarah’s equanimity, but at forty-two, he didn’t yet possess it. “It will be a tragedy to us, Grandmother,” he said. “Even if you are a hundred and twenty.”

Sarah couldn’t help being warmed, even though she regretted that the subject had been raised. She reached up to take his hand companionably. “Today we’re all here, and today is your birthday. Let’s forget that the doctor was here – it’s almost time to go out.”

“I was thinking we’d stay home this year…”

“Why? Because of me? I won’t hear of it. I can get to the Rajah of Lucknow, and I’ve called them already. They’ll be disappointed if you don’t come.”

Ujjal threw up his hands theatrically. “All right. You win.” He took no displeasure in the defeat; he celebrated his birthday at the Rajah of Lucknow every year. He’d lived in Benares for fifteen years, but he preferred Awadhi food to Bhojpuri, and Sarah shared his opinion. It would be a full dastarkhwan tonight – lamb korma, shami kebabs, turnip and pea curry, pulao and many more – and he could taste it even where he was.

The family had already gathered – Ujjal’s mother, his wife and children, his partner, some odd friends and cousins – so it was a matter of minutes before they were out on the street. The restaurant was six blocks away. That was a half-hour’s journey for Sarah these days, and she would have to stop twice to rest. But they were in no hurry, and they would be returning greetings from their neighbors all the way – people always called good luck to family processions, and both she and Ujjal were well known in the city.

They made their way slowly through the winding, unnamed streets of the old town, past havelis and tenements and shops all mixed together. At the third corner, Sarah found a stoop to sit on while Ujjal greeted a fellow importer. With only a slight surprise, she realized what stoop she was on, and turned her head behind her to where the Bharat Mata shrine’s door stood.

She’d been in Benares longer than Ujjal and she’d lived in his house for a decade or more, but she’d never gone in, and she realized that she wanted to. She raised herself to her feet, left her sandals by the entrance, and passed through the doorway.

There was a marble floor inside, and the central tiles made out a map of India: the parts the Republic didn’t control were in other colors, but they were there, because they were also Indian soil. Facing it was a statue of the goddess, her four arms outstretched in a way that made the folds of her dress look much like the map. Other idols ranged around the walls showed the Bharat Mata, Mother India, in other poses: fertility, prosperity, courage, enterprise.

She had a moment to realize that the family had followed her in, and another to realize that a priest had approached her. She wore a sari and was burned brown by sixty-three years in the Indian sun, but she was obviously no Indian, and the priest murmured, “do you know the blessing?”

She realized she didn’t. She’d learned many of the Hindu scriptures in the course of her travels, and she’d been known to make puja to Saraswati or Ganesha for all she was a Christian, but she’d never encountered the prayers to Mother India, the blessings recited here.

Still, she didn’t answer the priest’s question – at least not directly. “My parents taught me one god,” she said to priest and family both, “Usman Abacar taught me another, and here I learned of many more. But I’ve only seen a god born once. I came here as a nurse many years ago, and the Bharat Mata was one of the children I delivered; I was one of the midwives at her birth.”

“She had many midwives,” the priest answered.

“Gods are like that. They aren’t born the way we are. It takes thousands to help them come into the world. Sometimes it takes millions, when they come in the shape of nations.”

“Do you need me to tell you the blessing, Grandmother?” asked Ujjal’s wife.

“I’ll give her the blessing I give all the children I’ve delivered. All the ones who lived,” she added, remembering those who hadn’t; there was a different prayer for them. Still standing, she faced the map and the statue. “Live and grow strong,” she said. “Become a man among men, a woman among women. Know good from evil and choose well. Honor your parents, and care for the children you bring into the world. May you know many years and many felicities.”

Ujjal knew those words: Sarah had recited them when she delivered each of his own children. The priest didn’t, and wasn’t sure if they belonged here. But Sarah wasn’t talking to either of them.

For a second, no more, she saw sixty-three years in India reflected in the statue’s form: the famine, the hospitals, the Congress, the wars, the Ganges at dawn and a battlefield at sunset. She saw the men and women who had been her teachers and companions, and the faces of thousands of children. “Bharat Mata,” she said. “Live, my child.”

She turned toward the door and made her way resolutely forward. The Rajah of Lucknow was three blocks more, and she shouldn’t keep them waiting.

Last edited:
Every one of your posts deserve high praise. For instance, I'm following the Pacific history avidly.

And this Benares post in particular is, as GodofYoginess said, history raised to art.

Last edited:
On the other hand, they don't have OTL to compare against their history. Paulo the Elder will certainly be known as a visionary who gave his name to Islamic republicanism, the Nana Asma'u and Aisha as pioneers of education, Usman as a statesman and general, Funmilayo as a feminist author and politician, Paulo the Younger as an accomplished diplomat - but the more subtle influence of their ideas outside Africa might not be as apparent, and TTL's historians might not see all the threads we do.

For some reason, I'm greatly amused at the idea that ITTL there'll be a few historians out of Nigeria who will produce the great "Abacar Thesis" explaining the triumphs of the past century and a half, only to be denounced for "outdated, Whiggish Afro-Centrism"

And another fine update, of course.

what a lovely way to end sarah's story. I felt that the Indian arch was one of the epic climaxes of the story, and that this sweet coda was a long time coming. Now on to the 1940's! Europe, West Africa, East Asia, South America, can't wait for the rest of it!

I suspect the party system may be a little more complicated in this timeline than a simple Labour-Right Party split.

Stronger Catholic identity (Papal Legion etc), the Imperialists, less homogeneity, new, faraway states and of course race, shall be pulling that way. Maybe Australasian politics is more Canadian? More violent swings between parties (3 way electorate battles, strong regional party fortresses for even minor parties, etc) maybe?

Regionalism will be a factor, especially with Fiji and New Caledonia in the mix. The ethnic and class politics there will be very different from metropolitan Australia, and neither Labour nor a Country Party analogue would translate very well, although whichever party ends up representing the Fiji sugar workers might end up allying with both Labour and the analogous party in Queensland. I'd also expect a fair degree of particularism in NZ and Western Australia, and maybe Queensland too with its relatively dense population and history of ethnic conflict. Canada, or India for that matter, seems like a possible model.

This is a superb piece of art.

Thanks and welcome to the board!

I can see Belloist-Ahmadi strategies, from refusing to cooperate with authorities and setting up parallel institutions working very well (there's plenty of OTL examples, especially of indigenous/tribal people doing such).

And by this time in TTL, there are examples of both not very far away. The coalition will be shaky sometimes, but there are many areas of possible cooperation.

For some reason, I'm greatly amused at the idea that ITTL there'll be a few historians out of Nigeria who will produce the great "Abacar Thesis" explaining the triumphs of the past century and a half, only to be denounced for "outdated, Whiggish Afro-Centrism"

Now this has to happen - that and revisionist historians wondering if Paulo the Elder was really who he claimed to be.

Sarah, we followed you from Dorset to India, for so very long, goodbye.

what a lovely way to end sarah's story. I felt that the Indian arch was one of the epic climaxes of the story, and that this sweet coda was a long time coming.

After all this time, I didn't want Sarah to fade away offstage. This is her final scene, as you've guessed: about two months after this, she'll go out to sit on one of the ghats and look at the Ganges at dawn, and won't rise again.

Thanks to both of you, and to all the others who appreciated the scene.

The Asian update will come soon - as mentioned, it was supposed to be part of the Pacific one, and it's about half written already. After that, we'll be almost done with the 1930s.

Sorry for never commenting before now.:eek: I just want to say that this is an absolutely phenomenal timeline. The last update was heartbreaking. Even at 96 it is sad to see such a great woman pass, especially so soon after the death of Paolo the Younger. I love how her final chapter was a reflection on Sarah's relationship with her adopted homeland.

Also, I'm curious what some of the other Abacars, especially Funmilayo, and her and Paolo's children are up to? I imagine the oldest one are at about the age where they might start to follow in their parents' footsteps.

A quick nitpick: the way I figure it, Sarah is 96, but you give her age as 120, unless I have missed something.

Ujjal is being polite- it will still be a tragedy when she passes whether she's ninety or nine hundred.

What Cicero said. Ujjal told Sarah that her death would be a loss to the family even if she were to live to 120. I probably should have used "were" instead of "are" in that sentence.

Sorry for never commenting before now.:eek: I just want to say that this is an absolutely phenomenal timeline. The last update was heartbreaking. Even at 96 it is sad to see such a great woman pass, especially so soon after the death of Paolo the Younger. I love how her final chapter was a reflection on Sarah's relationship with her adopted homeland.

Also, I'm curious what some of the other Abacars, especially Funmilayo, and her and Paolo's children are up to? I imagine the oldest one are at about the age where they might start to follow in their parents' footsteps.

Thanks, and its great to see you here. It seems that several people have delurked recently, and I'm always happy to hear from you.

Anyway, we'll certainly hear more from the fourth generation. The family is starting to branch out from politics - many of the younger ones are in business, the professions, academia or the arts - but some will have influence all the same. When the timeline returns to West Africa for the final act of the 1930s, we'll see a couple of them.

Thanks and welcome to the board!

Well my fiancé turned me onto this timeline. I'm not the history buff she is, nor am I a fan of reading academic-essay style entries that are predominant here. I read more than enough of that in college, lol. I like stories, and this has enough fiction excerpts mixed in it to keep my attention. The subject matter is also more than enough to perk my interests, especially the civil disobedience and activist aspects of it. Reminds me of reading Zin's book back in the day. A bottom up analysis.

...given the already well known reputation of 'those Abacar women'...

Those Abacar women sound just like you Akwiren'te women:D

Last edited:
Well my fiancé turned me onto this timeline. I'm not the history buff she is, nor am I a fan of reading academic-essay style entries that are predominant here. I read more than enough of that in college, lol. I like stories, and this has enough fiction excerpts mixed in it to keep my attention. The subject matter is also more than enough to perk my interests, especially the civil disobedience and activist aspects of it. Reminds me of reading Zin's book back in the day. A bottom up analysis.

That is an interesting point. I recently re-read some of Zin's earlier works and I can see there are some points of comparison. No bad thing either

That is an interesting point. I recently re-read some of Zin's earlier works and I can see there are some points of comparison. No bad thing either

That's why I've really come to enjoy this. It's more than about this rich white guy conquers these poor black people here. Jonathan actually explores the cultural interchange and ways the colonized adapt and resist. It's very commendable and refreshing.