Malê Rising

One minor thing: just as with the early drafts of the Imperial Party update, the lack of a name for Egypt's president seems slightly off. I know he's unlikely to be of any importance following these next few updates, but just as the Venezuelan crisis was more interesting for having Blanco to personify the state, it feels like you're missing a trick switching constantly from the well sketched out Ethiopian figures to their faceless opponents.

Just a thought.

So, I have a tabs problem, and this is three posts that have been sitting around on my tabs bar, combined. Apologies if it's jumpy, or runny-ony.

It is that, yes, and also a warning that the Nile water dispute isn't only between Egypt and Ethiopia. The conflict has the potential to be a very widespread one - which is one of the reasons Paulo the Younger is pushing for a regional solution.

And by this point - assuming the shifted UK focal point of the Great Depression hasn't taken the wind out of TTL's version of the New Deal's sails - one Senator George Norris (born 1861, so perhaps too long after the PoD) has already been two years successful at establishing the Tennessee Valley Authority, giving Paulo the Younger a concrete (admittedly sub-national) example of his proposals. Even better - again making the giant assumption that a world without FDR and the New Deal is still a world with the TVA - the Rural Electrification Act has passed, OTL FDR signing the Rural Electrification Administration into law maybe four months before TTL's tashlikh ceremony; so with all those assumptions, both a solution and a giant carrot for the solution might have recent precedent.

The post-Great War Pacific treaty guaranteed the independence of all Pacific islands that weren't already part of an empire, so there are surviving microstates and pre-state polities all over the ocean.

Of course, in practical terms, "independent" often means "open economic colony."

One more chip away at Westphalianism! :p Actually, IIRC, the Pacific islands mostly ended up as mandates IOTL, though I'm honestly not sure which is the shadier deal - if for no better reason than at least ITTL, a class of local administrators might arise that has the knowledge and the ambition to do more for their respective nations (a la the Copperbelt?).

Out of curiosity, what does the international community call this extra-Westphalian territory? If I'm interpreting the Iserlohn Map correctly, only about a third to a half of the Pacific managed to fly under the radar long enough to be covered. There's already the International Congo, of course - perhaps the Treaty Pacific? Trucial Pacific (that was a thing in the Arabian Peninsula, right?)?

Actually, back to the point, the Pacific still being majority colonized could be a wash, theoretically - if the colonizers aren't too picky about porous borders, and the locals in the economic colonies have the chance to compare notes with the locals in the direct colonies. Not to mention, I can't imagine that those who aren't directly employed by the administrative apparatus of their islands have strong incentives to stay out of the treaty-covered territories, except perhaps for the same incentives which have kept uncontacted tribes in the Amazon separate.

No one can be sure where matters would have ended if not for the Ottoman war party’s impatience. On September 13, 1936, a group of Ottoman officers supported by hawkish politicians, calling themselves the “Lions of Crimea,” attempted to seize Stamboul and install a pro-war government.

Oh man, Wikipedia has become my new best friend... Anyway, I only have a single citation referring to a group of Turks with a lion totem: the "Lions of Marash". I know next to nothing about Turkish history, but I'm guessing the awarding of the Turkish Medal of Independence means this is yet another OTL staple turned awesomely on its head.

Apropos of nothing, the idea of a United States of Greater Austria used to be my favorite post-WWI AH trope - but I gotta say, this TL has switched that firmly in the camp of a reformed Ottoman Empire.

Oh! And putting all these posts together jogged my brain with thoughts from the TTL's Guiana Highlands: I realize that France and Brazil are quite the pair ITTL, but was there a particular reason that France didn't ask for Counani/Amapa for its troubles? Actually, that might have made the Brazilian personal union with Grão-Pará quite a bit trickier, so maybe I've just answered my own question... anyway, I was also surprised by how little Venezuela's borders were affected by its over-reach ITTL. EDIT: Wow, I tried to find the posts I was thinking of, and totally couldn't. Might just be making crap up, lol. New question: How did Venezuela over-reach, again? And how did it avoid loss of territory? Apologies for my confusion :eek:

Sheesh, long post is loooong. Can't wait for more on the Nile War!

Last edited:
Oh! And putting all these posts together jogged my brain with thoughts from the TTL's Guiana Highlands: I realize that France and Brazil are quite the pair ITTL, but was there a particular reason that France didn't ask for Counani/Amapa for its troubles? Actually, that might have made the Brazilian personal union with Grão-Pará quite a bit trickier, so maybe I've just answered my own question... anyway, I was also surprised by how little Venezuela's borders were affected by its over-reach ITTL. EDIT: Wow, I tried to find the posts I was thinking of, and totally couldn't. Might just be making crap up, lol. New question: How did Venezuela over-reach, again? And how did it avoid loss of territory? Apologies for my confusion :eek:

Sheesh, long post is loooong. Can't wait for more on the Nile War!

IIRC, it was about the unwritten understanding between Britain and the US that the latter would not consider British war with Venezuela a breach of Monroe Doctrine if the British did not use it to get territorial aggrandizement.

A lot of comments, a lot of food for thought - thanks, everyone.

Patagonia has oil? I know there's fracking now, but no way that's happening until the New Millenium.

Also, who owns the Spratlys? What is up with the Paracels and Pratas? Will they be a flashpoint TTL as in OTL?

Fair point about Patagonia, although with much of Africa and Asia more developed in TTL, the world will hit peak oil sooner and alternative extraction methods might become economically feasible at an earlier date. TTL's world will also have significant environmental issues - in fact, it's starting to have them already - although the earlier demographic transition will help to mitigate them.

I haven't thought a great deal about the Spratlys and Paracels - with several states occupying the Philippines, they might be even more of a mess than OTL, but on the other hand, shared-sovereignty models are starting to take hold in TTL and may provide a way to defuse the conflict. The outcome of the Nile War could have echoes in the South China Sea.

Seemed the tide was turning. Oh, dear. Who's going to pile in on the Egyptian side...?

Bornu, perhaps?

Go Ethiopia! It seems that Egypt has suffered a major failure of diplomacy- unless they can get other powers on their side, perhaps some Somali insurgency? Otherwise, if their main patron is staying out of the war, then they are facing a one front, losing war against an Ethiopia with a secure southern flank...

Good question. If we're assuming that the war will be largely confined to Africa, more specifically to the Nile basin areas, then there are precious few states that are not already aiding Ethiopia against Egypt.

Portuguese intervention in Zanzibar is more likely than a German one, although it may seem a paradox.

Well, the problem could be a military miscalculation by Ethiopia or its allies: both sides have made their share of them during this war. But you're right, it won't be that, or at least not just that.

I won't say much more now because you'll find out very soon, but the issue is one I've already foreshadowed. Also, the war will be over by mid-1938 at the latest, but the aftershocks won't be.

Also "Russia was providing similar goods to Ethiopia, shipping them across the Afghan Road to Karachi and thence by sea." Shipping by land. Through Afghanistan.

Ouch. That has to a) not provide a lot of goods, and b) be blasted expensive.

Remember that India financed the construction of a high-grade road through Afghanistan during the war of independence, so transportation by truck is more cost-effective than it would have been at this time in OTL. Also, some of the oil reserves available to Russia aren't far from there in the first place. But yeah, it's a lot harder for Russia to supply materials to Ethiopia than for the Ottomans to supply them to Egypt, which is another thing that might make an Ethiopian victory harder.

Empress Anastasia personally manning anti-aircraft batteries? Hello Ms. Badass. :D

Well, now she can look the East End (of Gondar) in the face.

More to the point, she's a woman on the throne of a country that isn't use to female leaders in wartime, and being seen helping to defend the country is one way to bolster her authority.

I understand that both powers are receiving aid, but still, modern wars are awfully expensive. How are they paying for all those riders, soldiers, and planes? Are both countries going into debt? What was the state of their respective finances before the war?

They were both in pretty good financial shape before the war, and they'd been modernizing their military forces for some time, because the conflict has been looming for a decade or more. They've been issuing a lot of bonds since the war started, though, and they've also enacted war taxes. It helps that many of the bonds are being sold to governments or individuals sympathetic to the countries in question, so they'll have some flexibility in repayment terms, but they'll be paying for the war for a good while.

And someone, it seems, has been supplying Ethiopia with the latest uniforms and guns, going by that photo. Who's the go to country for military tech ITTL? I mean, in the OTL 30s and 40s, the US supplied alot of military kit to a lot of countries.

Germany I guess?

Yeah, the photo was from the 1950s IOTL - the OTL Ethiopian army from the 30s was a lot less modern than TTL's Ethiopian military would be. A 50s photo might be a better fit anyway, given that my model for this war is part WW2 and part Korea.

And I could definitely see many second-tier powers emulating German uniforms and kit, although the US might also be a major manufacturer, and India too would have prestige from having defeated the Raj.

Turkestan was another awesome place that I'm glad got some further coverage. I love the irony of how it's usually a cliche to slap them all together in AH, which is usually done out of ignorance and laziness. In this TL's case you completely inverted that trope by actuality having a realistic reason for such a union arising, as well as making it into one of the most dynamic messes I've ever seen outside of cyberpunk literature. Good job:D

I tend not to go for space-filling empires - as you've probably figured out by now, I'm partial to federations and small buffer states. The logic of war, and the desire not to be reabsorbed by Russia after the war was over, dictated that Turkestan would become a single country, but any kind of actual unity will be the result of a long and painful process.

Now we've come to the long mentioned Nile War. At first I didn't see the huge Geo-political consequences of what looked to be a bread and butter regional war, but I could easily see another Great War potentially being spawned from this conflict. Glad this is looking more to be a case where the International Court really establishes itself rather than another global conflagration.

It may be that, but it will also be a reminder that sometimes courts aren't sufficient to manage international conflicts.

In another context entirely, I've been wondering if there are 2 major powers likely to be engaged in an arms race with each other that might thus support development of iconic mid-20th century, post WWII/Cold War technologies, and feel that Germany and Russia are the most likely case.

That could happen. Russia and Germany have managed to avoid war, and hope to continue that way, but I'm sure their respective military forces are drawing up plans just in case, and as you say, rockets could be useful to both. At this point, though, my guess is that neither country has developed rockets that have strategic range - there might be something like katyushas, but not ICBMs or V2s. Katyushas could be very useful on an Ethiopian battlefield, though...

Cool update. Nice to see alt-Stalin defending a monarchy... :p

He'll have a price after the war, though, and it won't be cheap.

It looks like Egypt has bit off more than it could chew, and has fallen into the "overthrow the democratically elected, but unpopular president and replace it with a junta" meme. I wonder how long the junta will last after the end of the war.

Thankfully the Ottomans resisted that (this time, anyway) :). With any luck, the Turks won't have to fear army coups every five minutes, like in Thailand IOTL.

The Egyptian president was elected, but not very democratically - the military keeps a heavy thumb on the scale, and all presidents since the republic was declared have been high-ranking officers. The junta represents a shift in power within the ruling clique rather than an overthrow of the existing government - note, for instance, that the president was sidelined but not removed from office. How long the junta lasts after the war is an open question - the Egyptians might get tired of the army's behind-the-scenes role.

And in the Ottoman Empire, the war is bringing to a head some of the issues left unresolved in 1911, such as how much of a role the military should play in setting state priorities. They overreached and it's going to cost them.

And good-bye to Valentin Mikoyan. A tragedy? Maybe, but perhaps it was exactly the way he wanted to go - after all, if he wanted a quiet retirement and a silent death, he wouldn't have chosen to ride a tank into battle at his age.

Quite possibly, yes. He didn't want to die in bed.

One minor thing: just as with the early drafts of the Imperial Party update, the lack of a name for Egypt's president seems slightly off. I know he's unlikely to be of any importance following these next few updates, but just as the Venezuelan crisis was more interesting for having Blanco to personify the state, it feels like you're missing a trick switching constantly from the well sketched out Ethiopian figures to their faceless opponents.

Fair point. I do tend to get lazy with political figures who only appear once (especially where their role rather than their personality is what makes them important to the story), and also, as mentioned above, the Egyptian president is part of a collective leadership, but you're right that both sides should have a face.

Let's see: Ramzi Elmasry (few names are more Egyptian than that), born 1878 to a family in the upper peasantry, attended one of Riyad Pasha's schools and received a scholarship to the military academy, supported the revolution and was promoted rapidly after the republic was declared, left the military in 1928 to run for a parliamentary seat, elected president in 1933 as a compromise candidate. Generally seen as the general staff's man, and wants to establish an independent base of authority.

And by this point - assuming the shifted UK focal point of the Great Depression hasn't taken the wind out of TTL's version of the New Deal's sails - one Senator George Norris (born 1861, so perhaps too long after the PoD) has already been two years successful at establishing the Tennessee Valley Authority

By this time, there aren't too many political figures left with OTL analogues, and the shifts in American politics ITTL have resulted in a very different federal administrative state. I'm sure that Farmer-Labor administrations have focused on rural development, but it may have been done directly through the relevant cabinet departments rather than a regional agency, or alternatively, it might have been done through state governments organized in a federally-sponsored compact. Also, TTL's depression-era Supreme Court was more friendly to federally organized relief, so there was less need to use the kind of dodges FDR was forced into. I don't think the TVA would exist in recognizable form, although there may be an agency or agencies that share some of its features.

Actually, IIRC, the Pacific islands mostly ended up as mandates IOTL, though I'm honestly not sure which is the shadier deal - if for no better reason than at least ITTL, a class of local administrators might arise that has the knowledge and the ambition to do more for their respective nations (a la the Copperbelt?).

Each arrangement has its disadvantages. Open economic colonialism means that there isn't much restraint on what private companies do in the independent islands, and most of them are too small and disorganized to offer much resistance - but on the other hand, local leaders have more leeway to make deals and arrange for transfers of technical knowledge, and they're protected by treaty from any too-blatant attempts to dislodge them.

I'm not sure that anyplace in the Pacific will develop like the Copperbelt. The rise of an African administrator class in the Copperbelt was due to specific circumstances - natural resources that required an educated workforce to extract, lack of available European manpower, and the fact that Europeans saw it as a hardship posting. The Pacific will be more oriented toward plantation agriculture, logging and copra harvesting, none of which (even at management levels) require the kind of education that mining does, and with the exception of places like the Solomons, Europeans (not to mention Japanese, Indians, Malays and West Africans) might be more willing to go there. Some islanders might be able to go abroad for technical education, though, and if so, they could end up becoming a Copperbelt-style new class or being absorbed into the existing aristocracy. I'm planning to take a closer look at the Pacific in the update after the Nile War is finished, and I may touch on some of these issues.

Out of curiosity, what does the international community call this extra-Westphalian territory?

I like your suggestion of "Treaty Pacific," or maybe "Treaty Islands," to indicate that they are outside the state system but have an internationally protected status. (The Pacific islands that do have state-level institutions, such as Hawaii and Tonga, are recognized as states rather than treaty islands.)

Actually, back to the point, the Pacific still being majority colonized could be a wash, theoretically - if the colonizers aren't too picky about porous borders, and the locals in the economic colonies have the chance to compare notes with the locals in the direct colonies. Not to mention, I can't imagine that those who aren't directly employed by the administrative apparatus of their islands have strong incentives to stay out of the treaty-covered territories, except perhaps for the same incentives which have kept uncontacted tribes in the Amazon separate.

Not to mention that there will be a lot of labor recruiting from the treaty islands, as there was from the minor Pacific islands in OTL - there will be Gilbertese contract laborers all over the place, Wallisians in New Caledonia (and via New Caledonia, the rest of Australasia), maybe even Solomon Islanders in Fiji or Japanese Micronesia. There will be movement back and forth, families with branches on several islands, and eventually business connections, so there will be plenty of chances to compare notes.

Oh! And putting all these posts together jogged my brain with thoughts from the TTL's Guiana Highlands: I realize that France and Brazil are quite the pair ITTL, but was there a particular reason that France didn't ask for Counani/Amapa for its troubles? Actually, that might have made the Brazilian personal union with Grão-Pará quite a bit trickier, so maybe I've just answered my own question...

That, and France already had all it wanted in terms of economic access without having to annex and rule the territory.

anyway, I was also surprised by how little Venezuela's borders were affected by its over-reach ITTL. EDIT: Wow, I tried to find the posts I was thinking of, and totally couldn't. Might just be making crap up, lol. New question: How did Venezuela over-reach, again? And how did it avoid loss of territory?

IIRC, it was about the unwritten understanding between Britain and the US that the latter would not consider British war with Venezuela a breach of Monroe Doctrine if the British did not use it to get territorial aggrandizement.

The overreach was in attacking British Guiana and Trinidad (although Venezuela had arguably overreached already by waking the sleeping Brazilian giant), and Falecius is correct about why Venezuela didn't lose territory.

Part 2 of East Africa in the 30s should be soon; I was actually planning a single update, but the midgame of the Nile War took on a life of its own.

but on the other hand, shared-sovereignty models are starting to take hold in TTL and may provide a way to defuse the conflict. The outcome of the Nile War could have echoes in the South China Sea.

My wild guess: corporate condominiums, with the appropriate departmental agency of each participating government having a negotiated percentage ownership. I mean, people already accuse OTL's global corporations of being nationless turncoats, so might as well embrace the "nationless" part and get something out of it. Hmm... not gonna lie, I like the idea of TTL's OPEC being more like the European Coal and Steel Community - and possibly with standing in TTL's version of the UN! :D

Well, now she can look the East End (of Gondar) in the face.

Is it just me, or does Amharic constantly remind one of Lord of the Rings placenames?

By this time, there aren't too many political figures left with OTL analogues, and the shifts in American politics ITTL have resulted in a very different federal administrative state.

Yikes, it's been hard not to revert to OTL axioms! Not gonna lie, the idea of a United States not at least partially defined by anti-communism is unsettling. In a completely grand and better way, of course - I'd totally move there. :p

My wild guess: corporate condominiums, with the appropriate departmental agency of each participating government having a negotiated percentage ownership. I mean, people already accuse OTL's global corporations of being nationless turncoats, so might as well embrace the "nationless" part and get something out of it. Hmm... not gonna lie, I like the idea of TTL's OPEC being more like the European Coal and Steel Community - and possibly with standing in TTL's version of the UN! :D

A damn filthy rich version of the ECSC, thanks to the oil.

And as a Filipino, I'll take the corporate condominium approach just to defuse the tensions in OTL. Even more so ITTL! China is going to build a military base in the area right now (OTL). I can't believe I'm living in a freaking 21st century Asian Balkans right now. Thank goodness for the nuclear deterrent and China is comparatively weaker militarily compared to the United States, who just doesn't want to admit that it is trying to contain and look out for China. The US just strengthened military ties with Japan, South Korea, Malaysia and the Philippines this year.

A damn filthy rich version of the ECSC, thanks to the oil.

And as a Filipino, I'll take the corporate condominium approach just to defuse the tensions in OTL. Even more so ITTL! China is going to build a military base in the area right now (OTL). I can't believe I'm living in a freaking 21st century Asian Balkans right now. Thank goodness for the nuclear deterrent and China is comparatively weaker militarily compared to the United States, who just doesn't want to admit that it is trying to contain and look out for China. The US just strengthened military ties with Japan, South Korea, Malaysia and the Philippines this year.

I'm actually a bit amused by my own government of Malaysia trying to placate both sides; military ties to the U.S, and last week we just got our first baby pandas from China!

I'd happily take a condominium agreement than what's going on OTL (not that the pandas aren't cute, but China doesn't give them away without getting something...)

Fair point. I do tend to get lazy with political figures who only appear once (especially where their role rather than their personality is what makes them important to the story), and also, as mentioned above, the Egyptian president is part of a collective leadership, but you're right that both sides should have a face.

Let's see: Ramzi Elmasry (few names are more Egyptian than that), born 1878 to a family in the upper peasantry, attended one of Riyad Pasha's schools and received a scholarship to the military academy, supported the revolution and was promoted rapidly after the republic was declared, left the military in 1928 to run for a parliamentary seat, elected president in 1933 as a compromise candidate. Generally seen as the general staff's man, and wants to establish an independent base of authority.

I Have Made A Contribution (TM).

East Africa, part 2

4PJcXax.jpg
Khaled Abdel Nour, Africa’s Great War (Stamboul: Tulip Press, 2005)

… No one has ever proven Egypt’s complicity in the Zanzibari provincial rebellions of February 1937, and it is unlikely that the question will be settled anytime soon. Egyptian intelligence documents are still classified, many of the rebellious provinces’ records were lost in the chaos that engulfed the region during the 1940s, and the periodic confessions by those who claim to have been involved are suspect and often self-serving. The truth may be lost forever amid the fog of war and nationalist mythmaking.

The timing of the revolts might have happened by chance – many of the interior provinces had been chafing under Zanzibar’s rule for years, and the empire’s involvement in a foreign war might have seemed like an opportune time to strike. But if it were chance, it could hardly have been a chance more favorable to Egypt. The revolts erupted at a time when Ethiopia and its allies had taken Shambe and the Egyptian armies were struggling to retreat through and around the Sudd swamp. And the provinces that rose up were not in the Nile basin – those had swung in Zanzibar’s favor, at least temporarily, when Egypt’s plans for the watershed were revealed – but in several other fringe areas, forcing the Sultan’s army to put out multiple fires at once. The semi-independent Somali vassals, the eastern Congolese, several Free Provinces and feudal holdings in western Tanganyika, were all aflame with rebellion by the end of the month.

The outbreak hit the allied war effort like a hammer. Within two weeks of the uprisings, Zanzibar had pulled out more than half the troops it had committed to the White Nile theater, often in a pell-mell fashion that left Ethiopia struggling to close gaps in the line. The Great Lakes states, too, withdrew many of their troops to guard against the possibility that the fighting might spill over their borders. Their withdrawal was more orderly, but they had been a key part of the Ethiopians’ defense in depth, and there were suddenly many fewer units available to conduct raids behind the Egyptian lines.

Nor was this the only crisis that Ethiopia faced. Although it had prepared for the Nile conflict for years beforehand, it had exhausted its stockpiled resources, and the lengthy war was draining its coffers. Also, the aid Ethiopia was receiving from Russia came by a far longer and more circuitous route than the help the Ottomans gave to Egypt, and perforce, the Russians were able to deliver less of it. That hadn’t mattered as much during the early months of the war, when Ethiopia had ample supplies of fuel and ammunition, but it had much greater impact now.

The result was a reversal of everything the Ethiopian alliance had gained during the past three months. By mid-March, Egypt had retaken Bor, and although its advance slowed as its supply lines lengthened, Juba changed hands again in early April. The Egyptian armies pushed south into Buganda, with their leading elements advancing to within 30 miles of Kampala and bringing the city under artillery fire.

But in early May, the Egyptian military council made a serious miscalculation: ironically, the same one that President Ramzi Elmasry had made the year before. With the White Nile all but taken, and with their supply lines more secure than at any time since the first weeks of the war, the junta decided that it was time to launch a massive attack on the highlands and deliver a knockout blow to Ethiopia. Nearly all the remaining Egyptian reserve forces, as well as regiments that might have been better used on the Buganda front, were committed to the assault.

These troops would discover, yet again, that the highlands were poor terrain for the kind of rider-intensive mobile warfare that Egypt favored. They would also learn that Russian aid to Ethiopia had come not only in fuel and weapons but in technical knowledge. Russia had recently developed an experimental, wagon-mounted short-range rocket battery, and it had given Ethiopia the design. These rockets could be made quickly and cheaply by Ethiopia’s light industrial plant, and although less accurate than artillery, they could deliver saturation bombardment more effectively than field guns, and could also move much faster.

Russia had never used these rockets in the field, and the development team had never named them, but they would get a Russian name anyway: within days after they were deployed, Ethiopian soldiers called them “Anastasias.”

Between the Anastasias and the rough terrain, the Egyptian advance bogged down: it got no closer than 100 miles from Gondar, and the casualty lists lengthened steadily. In the meantime, a Zanzibari diplomatic team headed by Paulo Abacar the Younger was holding emergency talks with the rebellious provinces, promising that if they stood down, amnesty would be granted and the future of the empire would be put on the table after the war. Paulo had won the trust of many provincial leaders during the past fifteen years as the Sultan’s liaison officer, and the very fact that the empire was engaging in diplomacy with its own provinces lent credibility to the pledge that its future would be open to discussion. Not all the rebel provinces agreed to this proposal, but enough did that Zanzibar was able to begin moving troops back to the White Nile.

This was also the time when the fighting in the western Congo basin spread into German-controlled regions, bringing Germany into the conflict. Its military involvement was limited to occupying the border region, and it declined to become a belligerent on either side, but it put pressure on Stamboul and St. Petersburg to resume their peacemaking efforts. It also began a peace campaign of its own, supported by unsubtle reminders that its troops in Ubangi-Shari were in a position to strike at both the Ethiopian and Egyptian forces.

It would take more months before these peacemaking efforts bore fruit. At first, the Egyptian junta still saw victory in its grasp, and later – when an allied offensive from east and south, supported by land and waterborne Anastasia batteries, turned the White Nile flank and retook Juba and Bor – the generals feared for their own position if they agreed to a ceasefire under circumstances that the public would view as defeat. But the situation did not improve: by now, Egypt too was running out of resources, it was unable to produce light rockets fast enough to counter the Ethiopian batteries, and the allied armies moved steadily northward.

By December, Egyptian troops had been expelled from Ethiopian territory, and on January 11, 1938, with allied armies threatening Khartoum and the Porte threatening to cut off aid unless the shooting stopped, the junta threw in the towel. A ceasefire in place was agreed the following day, and a formal armistice was approved by the Ethiopian and Egyptian parliaments on January 19. The war was over, and the task of forging a peace began…

8hLouFt.jpg

Mikael Garang, “War and Peace on the Nile,” African History Quarterly 53: 102-11 (Spring 1999)

… From the beginning, the Nile War was a conflict over water rather than land, with both Egypt and Ethiopia disclaiming any desire for each other’s territory. The Egyptian war aims were simple: secure sole ownership of the Nile watershed. Those of Ethiopia and its allies were more complicated. Initially, Ethiopia’s goal was to stop Egypt, but as the war became wider in scope, the allies began to consider more ambitious plans for the management of the Nile. By 1937, it was apparent that a return to the status quo would create only a temporary peace: the underlying disputes over water rights would still be there, and as the Nile riparian states became more populous and industrialized, conflicts over each nation’s use of its territorial waters would intensify.

It was Paulo the Younger who suggested a third possibility: that a regional problem needed a regional solution. Others had proposed an international court, similar to the Court of Arbitration but specific to the Nile, that would have mandatory jurisdiction over water disputes, but Paulo argued that this would not be enough. What was needed instead was a governing body: something capable not only of resolving disputes as they arose but managing the water supply to prevent them, as far as possible, from arising.

He took his inspiration from the Turkestani constitution, which made the federal government responsible for navigation on the Amu Darya and Syr Darya, but proposed an agency with a much broader remit and on an international scale. The watershed and aquifers of the Nile basin would be detached from the sovereignty of any nation and made an entity in its own right, with the capacity to represent itself in international affairs and to sue and be sued in the Court of Arbitration. This entity – the Nile Basin Authority – would have a parliament elected by the people of all the riparian countries, a board of managers consisting partly of delegates from those countries’ governments and partly of experts chosen by the parliament, and its own police and courts. It would have the power to regulate the watershed’s use and set taxes and fees, the duty to manage it in a manner fair to all, and – critically – the obligation to assess compensation for any use that decreased the downstream water supply.

This idea was a radical one for the time, and initially met with resistance from the Ethiopian delegation, but thirty years of experiments with joint and overlapping sovereignty made it thinkable in a way that it would not have been in the nineteenth century. As the war dragged on and the costs of further conflict over the Nile were driven home, the Ethiopian monarchy and parliament warmed to the idea, and they eventually agreed after safeguards were built in to ensure that the authority could not hold the water supply hostage or bootstrap its sovereignty over the watershed into control of related domestic matters. With Ethiopia on board, the Great Lakes states fell into line – a regional management system would give them access to joint conservation and development projects that they could never afford on their own – and at a conference in Gondar in July 1937, the authority was officially adopted as an allied war aim.

With the allies holding the initiative at war’s end, and with the great powers supporting the authority, it was a foregone conclusion that it would be included in the final peace settlement. In fact, Egypt hardly even protested. The junta had fallen by the time the peace conference began, the government was in crisis, and President Elmasry was far more preoccupied with shoring up his domestic authority than seeking a confrontation with the great powers over a regional one. He put up enough show of resistance to negotiate a compensation schedule more favorable to Egypt, secure an ironclad guarantee against interference with existing uses, and ensure that Egypt would get a share of the revenue from any dams or canals built on its soil, but nothing beyond that. With the Treaty of Berlin on September 12, 1938, the Nile Authority was born.

This would be Paulo the Younger’s greatest diplomatic triumph, and it would be his last. He had been sick for two years – most likely stomach cancer, although it was never diagnosed at the time – and he was exhausted by the strain of wartime diplomacy, and three weeks after the treaty was signed, he died at the age of 66. The treaty would be a legacy that went well beyond the Nile. Not only would it make possible projects such as the Aswan dam and the exploitation of the Nubian fossil aquifer, both of which are key to the Nilotic states’ energy and water security, but it would be replicated along the Mekong, in the South China Sea, in Antarctica and in several European and Latin American watersheds. From the ashes of the Nile War, and the graves of its million dead, would come the beginnings of modern regional government…

apfg7pW.jpg

Aishwarya Trivedi, East Africa Under the Omani Raj (Zanzibar Univ. Press, 2007)

… 1938 would also see the death of the Sultan of Zanzibar, and Paulo the Younger’s promise to put the empire’s future on the table suddenly became an acute concern. Under Tippu Tip’s constitution, the provincial nobles would choose a new Sultan from among the nearly four hundred princes. This would ordinarily be bargained for and arranged well in advance, but with the provinces deeply divided on whether the empire should even continue to exist, the succession this time would be wide open. The prince who could promise a majority of provinces the future they wanted would be elected, and nearly any of them might have the chance to build such a majority.

The maneuvering began even before the war ended. By general agreement, the election was deferred until after the peace was signed and a regency council was appointed in the meantime, but the candidates lost no time in staking out positions. And they would maneuver on a much broader field than in any previous election. The number of Free Provinces – in which feudal title was held by the people as a whole and which elected their delegates to the parliament – was now more than thirty, and even in the holdings governed by more traditional nobles, public opinion often mattered. The candidates politicked among the nobles as they had always done, but the canny ones also went out into the countryside and campaigned. They didn’t go to the provinces still in rebellion, but in most of the others, the people had a chance to greet the candidates and solicit their views on the empire’s government.

The two overriding issues quickly became secession and democracy: would the provinces who viewed the empire as a colonial master be free to leave it, and would there be an elected legislature alongside (or even in place of) the parliament of nobles? By the time the peace treaty was finished, it was clear that there was a critical mass in support of both. A near-majority of provinces either wanted to leave or wanted their neighbors out, and even most of those that preferred to keep the empire together didn’t want to do so at the price of endless war. And the past twenty years had taught even many nobles that old-style feudalism was no longer viable.

The parliament convened in Zanzibar in January 1939, and Prince Faisal – ironically a member of the old Omani royal family, but one who had been educated in India and had decidedly leftist leanings – quickly became the front-runner. At the first ballot, he fell 46 votes short of a majority but more than 100 ahead of his nearest rival. By the fourth day, policy concessions and under-the-table bribes had secured him the remaining votes. It was agreed that Zanzibar would have a lower house elected by universal suffrage, but that the nobles’ house would retain its existing powers and their provinces’ internal autonomy would be guaranteed, and that by the end of the year, each of the interior provinces would hold a referendum on whether to remain part of the empire. The agreement was denounced by its opponents as a surrender, and in some ways it was, but Zanzibar had grown exhausted with the effort of holding onto its hinterland, and the Sultan’s throne went to the candidate who promised an end to the struggle.

The referenda, which were held in November, went widely as predicted. The Yao kingdom voted overwhelmingly to stay, as did the southern tier of provinces which looked to Zanzibar for protection against Portuguese ambitions. All but two of the Congolese provinces voted to leave, as did the Somalis. In Tanganyika, about half the provinces stayed, with the empire retaining most of the nearer regions and a solid bloc of provinces in the Rift Valley, and several of the surviving African vassal kings opted for a more independent form of clientage.

The results of the referenda took effect on January 1, 1940, and the initial transfer of power and withdrawal of troops was peaceful. The aftermath, however, would be far less so, as the newly independent provinces began to squabble over borders…

several European and Latin American

Hm...the Danube and Rhine are almost too obvious. Perhaps the Vistula also gets an international management scheme? IIRC it flows through both Germany and Poland. Similarly the Elbe and Oder, though with different countries. I can't think of many other European rivers that are substantially international...

For Latin America, the Amazon might be a candidate, although that flows mostly through Brazil or its personal union states. Still, there are some major tributaries that flow elsewhere...More likely is the La Plata basin, which is even IOTL a major supplier of hydroelectricity and ITTL has a whole bunch of countries in it. I can't think of any other South American rivers that have a similarly international character.

There's a definite likelihood of the idea replicating itself on the major Western American river networks, and possibly domestically as a domestic, inter-state version of the idea. The Columbia, Colorado, and Rio Grande basins even IOTL have seen substantial efforts at international management, and ITTL I can't see them being less advanced in that regard. The heavy use of the first two, in particular, for irrigation and hydroelectricity, and the desert climate all three traverse for at least part of their course also makes them naturals for planned management of the sort depicted here.

Aswan Dam?

Ouch.

My understanding is that the economic benefit of the dam (even forgetting the massive construction costs) are outweighed, in fact, by the loss of revenue from the trapped silt. Agriculture, fishing in the delta, etc.

OTOH, the Nile Basin authority sees the benefits, while the losses are to Egypt alone ITTL. That's going to make for some interesting tension in the future.

Looks like Central Africa is in for some rough times. That region was tough in OTL too - but here in particular the region will be tugged so many ways. The Germans and Portuguese will want to expand their influence - the Ethiopians too - the East Africans won't mind regaining some influence, and everyone who lives there mostly wants to be let alone.

Great update!

Cheers,
Ganesha

Wonder what will happen once this timeline reaches the present day.

Maybe people will actually be willing to put more concentration on other timelines on this forum instead of us always having let threads die and do more takes after take.

Zanzibar itself seems to have ended up pretty well, all things considered.

And it's kinda sad to have Paulo the younger die.

Independent Antarctic authority? Speaking of that, how have the attempts at Antarctic settlement going? OTL there was a whaling station, Whaler's Bay, in Antarctica until 1931, because the Depression lowered the price of whale oil to the point where the town was uneconomical. In 1952, Argentina founded the town of Esperanza Base, and in 1984 Chile founded Villa las Estrellas as a commune. Does anything differ TTL? Maybe Whaler's Bay lasts long enough to see tourists?