Malê Rising

So, we now know the French are one of the four Romance-speaking European powers with integral territories in Africa. Portugal is a no-brainer, as is Spain. That leaves - Italy absorbing Tunis? I can't see them holding onto their segment of Eritrea in the longer run, what with Ethiopia ascendant.

With only one non-romance European power having territory ITTL's present, I would presume for Germany, meaning Britain is shut out entirely. Serves them right I suppose. :cool:
Well, he never did say how much territory they would still hold as an integral part. It might be that Italy gets its own version of Ceuta and Melilla, rather than absorbing Tunis wholesale. That seems easily in their capabilities, even including the much shorter time officially controlling the area.

It might be a little too early to count Britain out, but I generally agree, for a couple of reasons, but the main difference is the shape and system of colonialism between Germany and Britain. Germany's got a single settler colony which has integrated the African populace through a number of ways, and everything else is protectorates with varying degrees of German interference in the government. The UK on the other hand, apart from the debacle with the Imperial party, has a less Westphalian empire.

The thing with Britain's empire is that all of its stronger territories are already self-governing and have developed their own parallel institutions and national or cultural identities outside of the metropole. South Africa is a hodgepodge of various nations with their own interests completely different from Britain. The Cape's more focused on holding it all together, the Boers and most of the Bantus have their own national identities they don't want to give up, and Natal is of course going in the racist reactionary direction. The Male-dominated Nigeria has always entered into the British Empire from the perspective of being "masters of their own house" and joining the Empire on their own terms, and aren't going to give that up to be integrated with the UK. The Omani Empire has its own problems, of course, and its own identity as an Empire. Any remaining colonies are mostly small and recent acquisitions or still dominated by local elites officially. None of these areas is likely to give up their autonomy and identity to become just another part of the UK.

In short: the UK will not have any integrated territory in Africa. That does not mean they will not have areas that still have some connection, nominal or otherwise, to the British crown. They're not really being forced out of Africa wholesale, they're just seeing their territory in Africa develop away like Canada and Australia.

Sulemain

Banned
I would argue that Germany will retain African territory directly, whereas the UK would maintain Commonwealth States, independent but sharing trade links, defence, etc. Hopefully South Africa retains the monarchy. I suspect Coastal Algeria will remain part of France, as will Ghana (I think that was confirmed) .

You just had to have a Parti Radical even if I prefer the OTL one. The political spectrum looks interesting and even more complicated than the one of our third republic which didn't have Catholic parties.
Has the Empress also decided to end the Bagnes of Guyanne?
The fact that this French empire is a lot more compact than ours is probably good for the integration strategy because can you imagine the Central African Republic as the integral part of a Western nation? The most obvious flashpoint is Algeria : I can't see it end well because there are both too few and too many colonist.
Napoléonne is just so ugly as a word, I would understand Marianne to take the male version.

The developments in Portugal and other colonies seem very much in-step with this universalist street-fighter church that has developed, and in a situation where ultramontanes and catholic populists are creating systems in their countries that are heavily dependent on Catholicism for their legitimacy, it provides great opportunity for change for the common good.

I tend to agree on this - with Catholicism so much a part of the Belgian-model countries' raison d'etre, pronouncements from the Pope and from Church councils will carry a great deal of weight. They'll either have to back down as Portugal did, become anti-clerical like El Salvador or come up with reasons why the Pope is wrong, and either of the latter two would cost them a great deal of internal legitimacy.

As you say, the Church will be one of the things that unites the Portuguese Africans, especially in Angola where Catholicism goes back even further than Portuguese rule. And there's precedent, in Eritrea and South Africa, for Europeans and Africans being knitted together by language and religion.

I wonder, though, if there might be more sedevacantist sentiments on the right - even with its doctrinally conservative position, the social policies of TTL's Church will alienate many reactionaries, and as you say, its anti-nationalism will also cause problems. There probably won't be a major split, but maybe more of one than after Vatican II.

Speaking of doctrinal development, can we expect a development towards some of the changes of Vatican II, for example? On the one hand, a more down-to-earth church seems like it would be more willing to embrace mass in the vernacular, as it appeals to their less educated flock, but the unity of Latin as a language of religion and the example of the Legion could act as a counter-balance. And I really have no idea how Infallibility would be influenced ITTL, if it would come about at all.

Hmmm. I can definitely see factors pulling both ways. Maybe the Church would retain Latin as the default but with a vernacular mass as an option, and there might also be earlier development of rites like the Zaire Use (which in Portuguese Africa may even spread to some of the whites).

I'm not sure about infallibility - even if not codified, the tradition would still exist. Maybe the infallibility of Church councils would be dogma while Papal infallibility would remain more of a traditional matter.

On that note, how has N'Dele reacted to all this? Their king and royal family is Catholic, and they're now a protectorate of Germany which has a lot of Catholics itself to support it, but a lot of their population and army is still Pagan. How much evangelism is present there and how successful is it? Are they striking a fair and equitable balance between the faiths?

I'm thinking that a *Zaire Use would be very useful here, and that if one doesn't already exist, the N'Dele monarchy might invent it. They want a Catholic kingdom but also realize that they'll face rebellion, even within the army, if they push evangelism too hard, so they're probably offering incentives to converts but not suppressing non-Catholic faiths.

On another note, are we going to hear more about the development of the film industry? I am really hoping to Japanese are busily churning out 'Samurai Westerns' based on their frontier experience in Kanchatka.

The 20s and 30s will actually be a golden age of cinema, with the depression over, talkies coming in and new techniques for effects. The French, German, Ottoman and West African avant-garde will produce some masterpieces during this period.

The Kamchatka frontier has established itself firmly within the Japanese popular imagination, so samurai westerns set there are definitely in the works.

Napoleon VI ?! Maybe Napoleone I, but not Napoleon VI; Napoléone can be used: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elisa_Napoléone_Baciocchi.

As for the change in Imperial Succession rules, it's very interesting. IOTL, the dynastic disputes have been frequent, first between Prince Napoleon and his son Napoleon victor because of Napoleon Eugene's will and currently between Charles Napoleon and his son Jean-Christophe Napoleon because of Louis Napoleon's (Charles' father) will. Marie-Anne's brother will surely contest the move.

Perhaps Napoleone VI as a compromise- the line isn't broken, but the name accommodates Marianne's gender.

She should be like "I am Napoleon VI and am above grammar"

Napoléonne is just so ugly as a word, I would understand Marianne to take the male version.

She wouldn't be the first queen or empress to reign under a male name or title (and by this time, "Napoleon" may be considered almost as much the latter as the former in popular culture), but if that isn't something that would be done in France, I'm willing to change my mind. I actually kind of like the "Napoléone VI" compromise - "damn right I'm the sixth Napoleon, I just happen to be a female one."

In any event, the name Marianne would be used on all but the most formal occasions.

There will certainly be a small but vocal faction that considers Napoleon V's older son the true emperor, and there will also be a faction supporting the rightist younger son on the theory that the older brother had forfeited the throne due to his "treasonous" politics. With Marianne as the legislature's consensus choice, there won't be much the brothers can do to press their claims - they'll be politically active, but they're likely to be forever awaiting their moment.

The political spectrum looks interesting and even more complicated than the one of our third republic which didn't have Catholic parties.

That and the Futurists, who mainly lean left but who can sometimes cut across factional lines.

Has the Empress also decided to end the Bagnes of Guyanne?

The fact that this French empire is a lot more compact than ours is probably good for the integration strategy because can you imagine the Central African Republic as the integral part of a Western nation? The most obvious flashpoint is Algeria : I can't see it end well because there are both too few and too many colonist.

The penal colonies in French Guiana have been closed; not only have they come to be considered inhumane, but so many convicts that close to an aggressive Venezuela was considered a security risk.

The Fourth Republic in OTL did make the Central African Republic into part of the French Union, but granted, it didn't work out very well. The colonies remaining to France are the most developed ones with the strongest precolonial institutions, which will make integration easier, although as I've mentioned, there will be many difficulties in achieving practical equality.

Agreed on Algeria: not enough settlers to form a majority, too many to make withdrawal easy, and with all the wrong attitudes about their neighbors. "An Algerian in Paris and a Parisian in Algiers are Frenchmen" - the deciding factor will be whether the colons can come around to treating Algerians in Algiers as fellow citizens.

8747286 said:
Did Italy have colonies TTL (I can't remember)

It has Eritrea and Tunisia, both of which have a substantial number of Italian settlers, although most of Tunisia is effectively a princely state.

So, we now know the French are one of the four Romance-speaking European powers with integral territories in Africa. Portugal is a no-brainer, as is Spain. That leaves - Italy absorbing Tunis? I can't see them holding onto their segment of Eritrea in the longer run, what with Ethiopia ascendant.

Well, he never did say how much territory they would still hold as an integral part. It might be that Italy gets its own version of Ceuta and Melilla, rather than absorbing Tunis wholesale.

If the people of Italian Eritrea don't want to be absorbed by Ethiopia, they might want to stay; after all, association with a European patron is one way to discourage any aggressive moves. But a Ceuta and Melilla arrangement in Tunisia, possibly developing from Italian enclave towns that are formally detached from the Tunisian princely state, is also a possibility.

With only one non-romance European power having territory ITTL's present, I would presume for Germany, meaning Britain is shut out entirely. Serves them right I suppose. :cool:

It might be a little too early to count Britain out, but I generally agree, for a couple of reasons, but the main difference is the shape and system of colonialism between Germany and Britain. Germany's got a single settler colony which has integrated the African populace through a number of ways, and everything else is protectorates with varying degrees of German interference in the government. The UK on the other hand, apart from the debacle with the Imperial party, has a less Westphalian empire.

I would argue that Germany will retain African territory directly, whereas the UK would maintain Commonwealth States, independent but sharing trade links, defence, etc. Hopefully South Africa retains the monarchy.

Germany's also a federal country, which makes it easier (both on the metropole and the new state) to accommodate more components.

Britain in OTL was never keen on making territories outside the British Isles into integral parts of the country, even in cases (such as Malta) where substantial majorities in those territories wanted to join. As you say, the path for those British colonies and princely states who want to maintain a close association with their patron is either dominion status or independence within a Commonwealth-type treaty framework. Some of them may be very close indeed, but not part of Britain.

(Of course, OTL Germany also never went for integrating colonial territories, but its pattern of colonialism in TTL is very different, especially in *Namibia.)

I suspect Coastal Algeria will remain part of France, as will Ghana (I think that was confirmed)

Algeria hasn't been decided one way or another - there are reasons why it might stay, but also reasons why it might not.

*Ghana is within the British sphere; however, Gabon is a strong possibility, and Senegal a virtual certainty.

British West Africa and Liberia will be next.

Actually, one thing I forgot to ask about regarding Spanish Guinea: did the British still occupy Fernando Po ITTL for several years to fight the slave trade? IOTL, the Fernandinos were mostly English-speaking protestants right up through the first decades of the 20th century, only losing power as preferential settlement agreements led to more Spanish-speaking Catholics gaining land and power there and on the mainland. I'm not sure to what extent those kind of agreements would exist ITTL, so an OTL-esque population of Fernandinos will have different impacts on the future of Guinea Ecuatorial and whether it agrees to remain part of the Spanish system or goes its own way.

As you say, the Church will be one of the things that unites the Portuguese Africans, especially in Angola where Catholicism goes back even further than Portuguese rule. And there's precedent, in Eritrea and South Africa, for Europeans and Africans being knitted together by language and religion.

I wonder, though, if there might be more sedevacantist sentiments on the right - even with its doctrinally conservative position, the social policies of TTL's Church will alienate many reactionaries, and as you say, its anti-nationalism will also cause problems. There probably won't be a major split, but maybe more of one than after Vatican II.
I think it's certainly believable that there will be more sedevacantist movements. If there's enough of a rift between the Belgian-style corporatist governments and the Church, that could be one of the solutions used. After all, the Church has been forced to flee from the See of Rome and lost a war it directly participated in, so there's some justification for arguing that there was no true Pope around that time and those problems are proof of the loss of God's "endorsement", so to speak, of this line of Popes.

Alternatively, nationalist Catholics (particularly among the low church and laity), could make similar arguments. I think this has the most potential in Italy, with its rather outspoken anti-clerical streak prior to and during the Great War, and can point to the fact that the acknowledged Church was driven out of Rome by them.

Either could be rectified with the right circumstances, but this more involved Church could see a larger version of the Old Catholic Church in places.

Hmmm. I can definitely see factors pulling both ways. Maybe the Church would retain Latin as the default but with a vernacular mass as an option, and there might also be earlier development of rites like the Zaire Use (which in Portuguese Africa may even spread to some of the whites).
Huh, I had no idea about the Zaire Use, thanks for that little tidbit of information.

That's also reminded me that there are old Iroquoian and Algonquin Uses as well, IIRC, with the majority in Latin but certain parts such as responses by the worshippers in the vernacular. Might we be able to finagle the use of local vernacular languages to create a stronger linguistic community there as well? Then again, I'm not sure how strong Catholicism would be in native communities at this point ITTL. I'd have to ask othyrsyde.

I think that a mixture might be a good compromise. Another facet might be that on major holy days there is an emphasis on Latin, while more mundane masses have the option. And an earlier embrace of some use of the vernacular and the greater respect towards local cultures could mean earlier translations to, say, some of the Amerindian languages in Mexico that have only recently been approved for mass, or in Africa as well.

I'm thinking that a *Zaire Use would be very useful here, and that if one doesn't already exist, the N'Dele monarchy might invent it. They want a Catholic kingdom but also realize that they'll face rebellion, even within the army, if they push evangelism too hard, so they're probably offering incentives to converts but not suppressing non-Catholic faiths.
That does make sense, and I can see the Pope going for it if they explain the situation. It would definitely create a unique twist on local folk customs.

I've finally caught up with this after a week, and I'm still kicking myself for skipping this TL over multiple times. You've managed to create a world where everything and everyone on virtually every corner of the globe has been changed in a significant way. It's almost unsettling in a good way, seeing a world so fundamentally different, what with the different ideologies as well as the mixing of ideologies as well as religious, ethnic, and cultural groups.
A couple of random thoughts that jumped into my head about the US in this TL (sorry if these have been asked before, I gave up trying to read every comment around page 20):
Is it possible that any of the new revolutionary ideologies could catch on among the native american populations? I could see these ideologies, especially Belloism catching on and being the avenue through which calls of greater autonomy are expressed. Secondly, has the collapse of the American two-party system led to calls for electoral reform? I'd imagine that with the multi-party system having existed for so long, at the very least calls for abolishing the electoral college would have gained traction by now.

Hmm... would there be a formal term used by the countries to refer to their relationship with their overseas provinces? I remember the Portuguese used the term "pluricontinental" to refer to this relationship.

(Of course, OTL Germany also never went for integrating colonial territories, but its pattern of colonialism in TTL is very different, especially in *Namibia.)
That, and then Germany IOTL lost all its colonies in 1918, before ideas of integration really could take off IOTL. I think South-West Africa (Namibia) would have been an area for which such a solution might have been considered IOTL as well, if Germany had hung on to it.

Last edited:
Just finished this TL. What's up with Araucania? OTL they were populated mostly by Slavic, British, and Spanish immigrants coming to work on the sheep ranches. Have they had much immigration? Did the Patagonian Sheep Boom happen TTL? How did Araucania weather the depression?

Speaking of popular entertainment, I hope things like the Hay's Code and the Comic Code never arise.

I hadn't thought about this, but it could go either way. On the one hand, American society has always had a puritanical streak, and there will be just as many bluenosed would-be censors as in OTL. On the other hand, there will be quite a bit more pushback, and the boundaries of "mainstream" culture will be wider and more accommodating to non-traditional perspectives. There could be variation between states or regions.

Actually, one thing I forgot to ask about regarding Spanish Guinea: did the British still occupy Fernando Po ITTL for several years to fight the slave trade? IOTL, the Fernandinos were mostly English-speaking protestants right up through the first decades of the 20th century, only losing power as preferential settlement agreements led to more Spanish-speaking Catholics gaining land and power there and on the mainland. I'm not sure to what extent those kind of agreements would exist ITTL, so an OTL-esque population of Fernandinos will have different impacts on the future of Guinea Ecuatorial and whether it agrees to remain part of the Spanish system or goes its own way.

The British occupation was pre-POD, so it still happened and there were still a fair number of Krio settlers. However, there was also more settlement of Cuban freedmen during the late 1840s through 70s than there was in OTL, so the Spanish-speaking root population was larger. There's been a good deal of intermarriage between the Krio, the Afro-Cubans and labor migrants from the mainland, with the children of these unions speaking both Spanish and English as mother tongues. There have also been a few Afro-Brazilians added to the mix, either through migration after the slave revolt of the late 1850s or through Coaster commercial ties. This population probably considers itself more Coaster than anything else, but is also increasingly tied to the Spanish empire's economy and culture.

I think it's certainly believable that there will be more sedevacantist movements. If there's enough of a rift between the Belgian-style corporatist governments and the Church, that could be one of the solutions used. After all, the Church has been forced to flee from the See of Rome and lost a war it directly participated in, so there's some justification for arguing that there was no true Pope around that time and those problems are proof of the loss of God's "endorsement", so to speak, of this line of Popes.

Of course, the Pope who suffered these defeats was the ultramontanes' darling, but such facts have a way of being elided when inconvenient.

I think that a mixture might be a good compromise. Another facet might be that on major holy days there is an emphasis on Latin, while more mundane masses have the option.

That sounds a bit like how it works in some Reform Jewish congregations - more Hebrew on the high holy days, more English otherwise. There might be some Latin in every mass, to emphasize Catholic unity, but with most of the prayers in the vernacular.

In any event, I suspect that African uses have already begun to emerge in independent countries like N'Dele, Buganda and Burundi, and that the Curia will accept them as long as they are doctrinally pure (which, by and large, they are).

I've finally caught up with this after a week, and I'm still kicking myself for skipping this TL over multiple times. You've managed to create a world where everything and everyone on virtually every corner of the globe has been changed in a significant way. It's almost unsettling in a good way, seeing a world so fundamentally different, what with the different ideologies as well as the mixing of ideologies as well as religious, ethnic, and cultural groups.

Thanks! One of the things I've noticed from time to time about TTL is that it ought to feel familiar, because most of the countries and cultures that exist in TTL also exist in OTL, but enough differences have developed to make it seem that they've been distorted in a fun-house mirror. In a way, that can feel even stranger than a world of totally alien cultures, which you'd expect to be alien.

A couple of random thoughts that jumped into my head about the US in this TL (sorry if these have been asked before, I gave up trying to read every comment around page 20):

Is it possible that any of the new revolutionary ideologies could catch on among the native american populations? I could see these ideologies, especially Belloism catching on and being the avenue through which calls of greater autonomy are expressed. Secondly, has the collapse of the American two-party system led to calls for electoral reform? I'd imagine that with the multi-party system having existed for so long, at the very least calls for abolishing the electoral college would have gained traction by now.

Belloism is a bit too entangled with Islamic doctrine to translate easily to non-Muslim populations, but many of its philosophies and organizing methods might be adopted. Interesting things might happen in Sequoyah, where the oil fields are attracting as diverse a population as OTL, and where there's likely to be some Arab and Muslim settlement. A kind of cafeteria Belloism might cross over there.

Attitudes toward the Electoral College depend on whose ox is being gored. The second-tier parties love the EC, because hung electoral votes are one of the main things that give them leverage in coalition negotiations. The big parties, and some goo-goo types, would prefer to replace the EC with a runoff system. Once American politics start to revert to a British or Canadian-style two-party-plus system, though, attitudes may change.

Hmm... would there be a formal term used by the countries to refer to their relationship with their overseas provinces? I remember the Portuguese used the term "pluricontinental" to refer to this relationship.

I'd guess that France will use DOM/TOM as in OTL - it's the most natural descriptive term. Others might use terms such as "overseas Portugal" or "overseas Germany," or some variation on "pluricontinental" or "multi-continental;" other alternatives might be to describe the overseas provinces as exclaves or to speak of "inner" and "outer" Germany, Spain, etc.

The people in the overseas provinces themselves would also have various names for the metropole - maybe the South-West Africans would refer to continental Germany as "the upper 28."

That, and then Germany IOTL lost all its colonies in 1918, before ideas of integration really could take off IOTL. I think South-West Africa (Namibia) would have been an area for which such a solution might have been considered IOTL as well, if Germany had hung on to it.

Fair point, and in TTL, where there's a longer period of mining-based settlement and where there are more bicontinental families, the tendency would be stronger.

I'd kind of like to see a timeline where WW1 ends in a CP victory or a white peace and where *Namibia and *Tanganyika become German states - by the end of the war in OTL, Lettow-Vorbeck was appointing black commissioned officers, and matters could progress from there.

Just finished this TL. What's up with Araucania? OTL they were populated mostly by Slavic, British, and Spanish immigrants coming to work on the sheep ranches. Have they had much immigration? Did the Patagonian Sheep Boom happen TTL? How did Araucania weather the depression?

The territory you have in mind is actually south of the Mapuche strongholds. The sheep country was settled much as in OTL, and there was friction between them and the Araucanian-held regions until the borders were demarcated in the late 1910s. Araucania is fairly self-sufficient and survived the depression by tightening their belts; now that it's over, they're getting into sheep-ranching themselves.

Sulemain

Banned
With permission from the J.E, I present to you:

A History of the Royal Navy, by Dr Charles Cotton(PhD).

Extracts from "The Royal Navy After The Indian Revolution":

The Indian Revolution marked a turning point in both the raison d'etre and the equipment of the Royal Navy. The Jewel in the Crown was gone, and with, the need to secure the Indian Ocean; that was now the job of the Indians themselves. As for the equipment, it was clear the in the future, wars would be fought both above and below the sea, with aircraft and with submarines, with bombs and torpedoes. The battleship-men of the Great War had had there time; it was now the turn of a new group to arise.

The new Navy was marked in two different ways by the Revolution, one technological, one organisational. The first was the introduction of purpose built aircraft carriers to the fleet, the first of these being HMS Ark Royal*. Carrying Mitchell Aviation Starling fighters*, Sopwith Excelsior* Torpedo Bombers and Sopwith Lancelot Attack Bombers*, HMS Ark Royal marked the beginning of a new era. It's aircraft would be flown by the Royal Naval Air Service, the naval branch of the new Combined Services Aviation Command, a joint command between the Royal Flying Host* and the Army Aviation Service, along with the RNAS, in order to rationalise procurement and coordinate training. The new carriers would form the centre of powerful carrier groups, with powerful, long ranged cruisers with heavy-dual purpose rifles acting as escorts.

Range and power were the watchwords of the new navy. The old great war destroyers and cruisers, designed and built to fight against French commerce raiders had proven exceedingly vulnerable to air attack; the new ships were competitively few in number compared to those which came before them, but they were optimised for long distance, long endurance operations in multiple climates, ships optimised by the new London class cruiser*. This was also shown in the new submarines operated by the Navy; bigger, stronger, and far more comfortable then those which preceded them' they no longer had Indian fuel stations to rely on.

The new Navy also marked the first time women were involved in the Royal Navy in an official capacity, in the form of the Royal Naval Women's Auxiliary, a counterpart to the Women's Auxiliary Army and the Royal Flying Host Women's Auxiliary. Serving as cooks, clerks, wireless telegraphists, radar plotters, weapons analysts, range assessors, electricians and air mechanics, the Ravens, as they came to be called, proved a valuable addition to the Royal Navy, and would serve valiantly alongside there male counterparts until full integration was achieved.

The use of aviation as weapon of war, as well as the Indian use of frogmen to attack British ships in harbour led to increased funding for many pure-physics projects by the Royal Navy. One of these, the Royal Navy War Physics Project, would have an Earth-changing impact.

*Some things are constant.
*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_Nimrod
*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackburn_Baffin
*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_Hart
*https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=230293, shamelessly stolen, credit where it's due, etc.
*OTL Town Class. But bigger and with 7.5Inch main guns. They are now the main gunships of the fleet.

Last edited:
Finally read the newest post and I must agree that I enjoy your path for France and the Liberal Empire. I wonder how it affects the francophones living outside it (such as the Haitians, Quebecois, and Cochin-chinese).
I'm also wondering how all these different developments are shaping the geopolitics of Europe, Asia, the Americas, and of course Africa. We've seen a lot of internal change, but what about the international relations? Is there a huge antebellum under way for now?

Nice post, Sulemain. I'm assuming that "project" as you mentioned is one of the Earth-Shattering-Kaboom(TM), "I am become death, the destroyer of worlds" variety. ;):D:cool:

Sulemain

Banned
Nice post, Sulemain. I'm assuming that "project" as you mentioned is one of the Earth-Shattering-Kaboom(TM), "I am become death, the destroyer of worlds" variety. ;):D:cool:

All you need to do is fear god and dread nought my friend. Or should I say Dreadnought? Although I will say watch out for strong winds and higher then normal temperatures in the Australasian outback in the next couple of decades from 1930.

Last edited:
I suspect that one consequence of the Imperial regime will be the Dominions demanding greater responsibility and rewards in major programs like this, er, scientific testing.

Sulemain

Banned
I suspect that one consequence of the Imperial regime will be the Dominions demanding greater responsibility and rewards in major programs like this, er, scientific testing.

Oh I wouldn't worry about that. I mean, who'd notice a blasted hell-scape in the Australasian Outback anyway?

Oh I wouldn't worry about that. I mean, who'd notice a blasted hell-scape in the Australasian Outback anyway?

Lots of people, actually. Without a war to drive the development of nuclear weapons it's possible that an understanding of fallout will be achieved relatively earlier, in particular if the British Empire is not the first to develop the weapons. If so expect fairly staunch resistance from anywhere above ground testing is proposed that has an effective government that would have to worry about the consequences.

Sulemain

Banned
Lots of people, actually. Without a war to drive the development of nuclear weapons it's possible that an understanding of fallout will be achieved relatively earlier, in particular if the British Empire is not the first to develop the weapons. If so expect fairly staunch resistance from anywhere above ground testing is proposed that has an effective government that would have to worry about the consequences.

I wasn't talking about a cover up, I was making a joke at Australia's/ALT Australasia's expense.

I have no idea about other states, although I suspect that the Germans will test a bomb first. Then the British Empire, then the USA.