Malê Rising

Ahmadu Odubogun, Faith and Ferment: The Sahel and Sudan in the Nineteenth Century (Ibadan Univ. Press 2005)

… With Abacar slain on the battlefield, the First Republic confronted an issue that it was unprepared to face: the question of succession. Like many fledgling states which had yet to experience a transfer of power, Sokoto had developed neither a legal framework nor unwritten customs to determine who would assume the leadership – a lack felt all the more since Abacar held no specific office. Like the shehu Usman dan Fodio, who he had in many ways modeled himself after, Abacar had neither a title nor a defined set of powers. He was “the liberator” or simply “Abacar,” and his authority ran as far as the people, and the Republic’s developing institutions, permitted it to run.

Sokoto had survived another such transition in 1815, when dan Fodio passed the leadership to his son Mohammed Bello, who became the first sultan. But dan Fodio had been alive to oversee his son’s installation, and Bello was a proven leader of thirty-six who had been a power behind the scenes for years. Abacar was dead, his oldest son was barely nine years old, and no preparations for the succession had been made.

The absence of such preparation was deliberate, because Abacar intended that nobody take his place. He was never comfortable with his position as “liberator” and believed that one-man rule was an invitation to tyranny. He favored a system in which a cabinet chosen by the legislature would act as the executive and make most decisions collectively, with authority in a crisis being exercised by the minister most competent to deal with it – for instance, the minister of war would command the country in times of invasion or rebellion, or the finance minister in the event of an acute balance-of-payments crisis.

But while he wrote in favor of such an arrangement, he never did anything in his lifetime to implement it. He knew that regularizing cabinet government would inevitably result in his own authority being constrained, and while he was ambivalent about that authority, he was also unwilling to lay it down while his life work remained unfinished. His response to the succession question was always to put it off for another day. Now, that day had come, and - predictably - few of the Republic's power-players were interested in respecting Abacar's wishes; rather than nobody succeeding him, everyone sought to do so.

Within days, seven separate factions had emerged to contest the leadership. Three of them, sometimes called the legitimist factions, favored a dynastic succession of one kind or another. Many of the rural Fulani supported a restoration of the sultanate under Ahmad bin Atiku, the brother of the deposed sultan; the emir of Adamawa, in whose court Ahmad resided, backed his claim in the hope of reuniting the sultanate under his own dominance. Some of the Hausa, particularly the aristocratic families who had lost their positions after dan Fodio’s conquest, saw an opportunity to break free of Fulani rule and restore the old Gobir dynasty, which had taken refuge to the northwest. Yet a third faction, which was strong in the army and the urban working class - particularly among the slaves who had been freed after the Malê conquest, wanted Abacar’s son Usman declared sultan, with a regency council consisting of his mother Aisha, army commander Amilcar Said, and the Nana Asma’u.

The remaining factions broke down according to ideological rather than personal loyalties. The liberals, headed by the Abacar family and finance minister João Silva, supported the continuation of Abacar’s reforms and a modified version of cabinet government in which an elected president would be first among equals. Said, the war minister, led a conservative faction which favored a strong presidency, a restricted franchise and removal of the assembly-field from political debate; this grouping also sought to woo the foundry-barons by promising a uniform commercial code and court system, and the provincial aristocracy by pledging to restore some of the privileges that the cities had lost with centralization.

Sixth were the reactionaries, whose opposition to Abacar’s reforms was theological rather than political; they cared less about the form of government than about rolling back his - and in some cases, Usman dan Fodio’s - theological innovations. This faction, led by Gwandu mallam Idris Ujiri, sent an embassy to Timbuktu requesting El Hadj Umar Tall, the sworn enemy of the reformists, to aid them in this task. And last were the radicals - a motley collection of imams, intellectuals, soldiers and others who Abacarism had inspired to fanatic heights that Abacar himself had never scaled - who sought to purify the Republic and purge it of reactionary influences.

A pragmatic alliance was soon reached between the liberal faction and those who wanted Usman Abacar declared sultan, the former group acknowledging the extent of public loyalty to the family and the latter accepting that Usman didn’t want the throne and that a regency would be out of place in a republic. It was agreed between them that Silva would be the party’s standard-bearer for the time being, but that he would surrender this role when Usman reached his majority. The reactionaries and the Gobir legitimists also found common cause, anticipating that the old dynasty might find join forces with Umar Tall if the Toucouleur emperor marched south.

But even with this consolidation, none of the factions could command anywhere near a majority in the governing council, and with the army as riven as the rest of the country, none were strong enough to force the issue. Nor did it appear that any decisive outside intervention was forthcoming. The emir of Adamawa, who had dispatched his army to support Ahmad bin Atiku’s claim, found his way unexpectedly blocked by the buffer cities of Kano, Zaria and Kaduna. The three cities reasoned - correctly - that a restored sultanate under Ahmad would be little more than an extension of Adamawa, and that an Adamawa emirate which surrounded them on both sides would have little reason to allow them to continue to be independent. The cities’ militias combined to contest the emir’s passage, and the Adamawa army became bogged down in a rainy-season campaign north of Zaria.

And so the rest of 1850 passed in an unhealthy stasis, with the Republic in the hands of a hopelessly divided cabinet and legislature. In some ways, this was a perverse variation on the cabinet government that Abacar had favored: each minister was master of his (or, in the case of the education ministry, her) domain, but they worked separately rather than collectively, and often at cross-purposes. Amilcar Said, for instance, recruited hundreds of his loyalists into the army without the government’s permission; Silva, for his part, ordered his finance ministry not to pay or equip these recruits. The ministers for roads and canals, hoping to boost their own positions through patronage, began work on several projects for which no funds had been budgeted, paying for them with scrip that was, at least in theory, a pledge against the government’s credit.

By the end of the rains, it was clear that the Republic’s unwritten constitution was failing, and with it the developing tradition of public debate and tolerance for dissent. As with the other occasions on which the political process had failed, the field of play moved from the assembly-field and the legislature to street fighting and secessionist movements. In Gusau, the radical faction - which was a small minority in the country as a whole, but disproportionately urban and highly militant - seized control of the city in November. They decreed the abolition of all existing laws, appointed a commission to write a new constitution, and began purging the aristocracy and the established imamate, many of whom fled either to Sokoto or to the emir of Adamawa in the east. In Katsina, Ilorin and Jebba, the liberal-dominated councils began assuming many governmental functions, and the always-restive southern cities of Kontagora and Wawa, where the reactionaries were strong, faced pressure to declare for Ahmad bin Atiku or for the Gobir dynasty.

In early 1851, however, two events combined to arrest the slide toward anarchy at least momentarily. From the north came word that Umar Tall was marching south at the head of a Toucouleur army, and that several of the Hausa states were indeed rallying to his banner. In the east, the Adamawa emir reached an agreement with the buffer cities, promising that the reconstituted sultanate would be a federation of cities rather than a unitary state and offering hostages as an earnest of his good faith. By February, the details of the treaty had been worked out, and the emir’s army had a free road west.

With the Republic facing invasion from two sides at once, its bickering leaders found a sudden sense of urgency in mending their quarrel. Amilcar Said argued that, in time of war, the military and civil commander should be the same, and proposed that he be installed as president until the legislature’s term expired in 1852. In exchange, he would share the cabinet equally with the liberals, agree not to make any constitutional changes during his term, and allow the next parliament to decide what the permanent form of government would be. The liberals, lacking a credible military leader, agreed to the compromise, and it passed with a large majority in the governing council.

Said took office as president on March 5, 1851, and the following day, he led the greater part of the army north to face Umar Tall while the remainder sallied to reinforce the eastern border. The military threat was still dire, but there was a palpable sense of relief in the capital at the apparent stabilization of domestic politics.

As things turned out, however, it was merely the calm before the storm.

Last edited:
Now there's a comparison that never occurred to me. I assume that since you said "Louis-Napoleon" rather than "Napoleon III," you're referring to the 1848-51 period rather than the empire. What areas of greater success are you thinking of - economic modernization? Military intervention in the near abroad? Being a de facto monarch with democratic sensibilities? Balancing domestic political factions? I'm not as familiar with the man as I ought to be, so I'm sure there's some nuance I'm missing here.

Essentially all of the above.

Hmmm. On the one hand, the British would hate this idea. On the other hand, they might be sufficiently overextended in West Africa, South Africa and the Swahili coast that they wouldn't be able to do much about it. Probably the French would at least try to push east and south from Gabon at the same time that the Portuguese push north from Angola. I'm still inclined toward a brokered settlement under which a minor power will run the Congo basin as a concessionaire colony, but we'll see how things develop.

I don't see how British Empire ITTL will be more overstretched in Africa compared to OTL. They will may become busier in West Africa ITTL, but IOTL they were preoccupied with a contiguous territory from Al-Iskandariyah to Cape Town. In absence of Egypt bondage, British will have much freer hand to check upon other's expansion in the continent. Their material power was sufficient to do so.

Indeed, it'll be pretty likely that France will at one point, try to expand to Congo Basin, but they will immediately be countered by Portugal with British encouragement. That is, of course, discounting the possibility of an additional party involved...

Last edited:
Essentially all of the above.

I probably see Louis Bonaparte too much through the lens of Karl Marx in the Brumiare. But also, perhaps guided by that perspective, I consider such misadventures as Maximillian in Mexico, the flirtation with supporting the Confederacy during the ACW, and the manner of his ultimate downfall at Bismarck's hands as evidence for the judgement that he was a rouge and a patron of corruption. So in that aspect, I rather resent any comparison between him and Abacar. Abacar is deeply passionate about the Rights of Man, about doing all he can to foster human equality and freedom and the growth of democracy; if Louis Bonaparte had been like that, he never would be called "Emperor" and he'd often be out of office, and might well have died long before 1870 (I know, OTL LB aka Napoleon III didn't die then--the point is, no one really cares when or how he did die,* because with the Prussian victory he was dead to history!)

However I suppose there is some justice in the comparison from other points of view. If Marx was right, France simply could not yet have a proper bourgeois parliamentary type democracy in 1848, because there was as yet not a sufficient development of the bourgeoisie plus proletariat to overwhelm the political significance of the peasantry, and the peasantry, said Marx, lacking the intercommunications and ears to the ground of capitalism the proletariat had, could not run a democratic government on its own behalf; atomized in their scattered rural localities, they could be "represented" only by some kind of monarch or dictator. Thus LB could choose to be that dictator or choose to be left behind by the currents of history.

In Sokoto also, there is a strong and widespread will to be democratic and modern, but the infrastructure--including the restructuring of both the ruling and working classes into the more fluid and integrated forms appropriate to a modern Republic--has not progressed enough yet. The difference between the men is how Abacar so scrupulously avoids the trappings of formal monarchy. (Well, that's not so much "the" difference as a telling indication of the nature of the many differences!) But yes, in order to stay relevant and effective, Abacar too must often act quite differently than his visionary idealism says a leader among men should act. It is very well to suggest a college of ministers to hold executive power collectively, but whether he is right or wrong that such a thing might work in the developed nations, clearly Sokoto is light-years short of that and as noted, he knows if he ties his hands like that he can neither trust the new council to do right by his lights nor let him do right for them. Hence his actual status as Sultan in all but name.

There are other analogies that might be rather just, not so much between the men as between the situations of the respective nations. It is clear enough in retrospect that if France was not quite ready for a modern bourgeois liberal state in '48 that they were able to manage it well enough after 1870; clearly in the interim quite a lot of civil development went on. Both bourgeois and working class political parties developed their structures; industry advanced and tipped the social balance toward an essentially capitalist rather than peasant nation; all manner of ideological movements (notably Saint-Simonianism) proceeded to consolidate modern France's identity, under the aegis of the Emperor who once played piano in a New Orleans brothel. In Sokoto too--the starting point is much farther from the goal and the decade or so, less than half the time Napoleon III had in his reign, is much too short to close the gap; they still aren't ready. But they've still made quite a lot of progress.

Perhaps if I knew more about Louis Bonaparte from other perspectives I might see more similarities; perhaps France's movement toward the day when it would no longer need an Emperor gratified him and he was deliberately fostering these steps. I doubt it; I gather he was perfectly happy to be revered as an essential monarch and that the movements that would ultimately make his type of rule unnecessary happened behind his back and as an unintended consequence of making France and himself more glorious.

But in the very sense that Marx was trying to convey, that it is not arbitrary human will but the unfolding of historical necessity that patterns history, yes the two men were in much the same place.
----------------

*Which may be why, to be honest, I personally have no clue when he died; if I've ever seen that mentioned at all, it wasn't very memorable, and I don't think I've read it and forgotten again very often. For once I will have no recourse to Wikipedia or other searches--I really don't care!
--
I lied of course. Having declared my commitment to remain ignorant, I just had to know. January 9, 1873, dying on an operating table in exile in England.

Nope, that didn't remind me of anything I'd ever read before. It's just too pathetic and anticlimactic an epilogue to be worth writing about.

Oh well, at least reading the article reminded me the Franco-Prussian war was a year earlier than I thought, 1870 instead of '71; I guess I knew that the German Empire was proclaimed in the latter year and assumed they did it instantly upon victory in France instead of taking a half year or so to organize it.

The article also stressed the ways in which Napoleon III did exert himself on behalf of the working classes; in this way he is somewhat analogous to Abacar, substituting monarchial fiat for what should be the self-assertion of the workers when they are as yet too weak to do so on their own behalf; in this respect it is true that, since LB could have scorned the masses instead of throwing his weight into the scales on their side, he was a conscious agent of social progress. Then again maybe he was just sentimental, and shrewd enough to recognize that throwing some sops toward the masses would keep them distracted and grateful enough so he could focus on the main action among the propertied and savants. We know that Abacar at any rate had a definitely progressive agenda.

Quite possibly. I've also mentioned the possibility of Malê businessmen playing a secondary role to the Indians as the British empire's colonial merchants, which means some of them might also end up in ZA - probably in the Cape, although there might be a few in the diamond fields.

British West Africa, in the early days, followed the princely-state model more than many people think - consider the career of Sir George Goldie's Royal Niger Company, for instance. In this timeline, the empire will take over from the company somewhat earlier (after one of Goldie's expeditions gets its head handed to it by one of the Malê successor states) and the princely-state model will continue, although the weaker areas will fall under direct rule. This probably will mean a less hands-off approach with more regional diplomacy, and also some turf wars between the Foreign Office and the Colonial Office as to who has jurisdiction over various parts of the empire.

I'm not as familiar with southern African history as I really ought to be. It seems, though, that the Orange Free State wanted to stay British in the early 1850s, but Britain didn't want to be bothered. It was later, after the gold and diamonds were found, that Britain became interested in the OFS again - and as late as 1881, it didn't consider the Transvaal worth the expense of reconquering. I'm not sure that would change in this timeline, especially with bigger East and West African empires occupying British energy and resources. My guess is that foreign immigration to the gold and diamond fields will be the flashpoint as in OTL, but I'm willing to be persuaded otherwise.

All right, I'm pretty much convinced, although I still think the British wouldn't be able to have things all their own way - whatever Berlin Conference analogue takes place in this timeline will be as much about splitting up the concessions in Portuguese Congo as it will be about dividing Africa - maybe it will be more so, since the African empires will have defined themselves to a greater extent.

I'm going to do the world a favor and assume that Leopold II won't get a loan to set up a Congolese colony, although as noted, rubber colonialism will be brutal no matter who's nominally in charge. The French part of Congo in OTL wasn't much different than the Free State.

Or Ethiopia - if they aren't weakened by the Egyptian invasion, and if Menelik II still comes out on top of the pile (which I think he will), they might be able to compete with Italy for it.

Interesting. If AHP says that avoiding the Ethiopian war wouldn't have kept Egypt solvent, I'll take his word for it. On the other hand, his post suggests another possibility - a different outcome to the 1864 Suez Canal Company arbitration. In this timeline, with an earlier British interest in Africa, shares of the company might sell better in Britain, with French stockholders holding only a minority of shares. If so, then Napoleon III might be persuaded to rule in Egypt's favor in order to weaken British regional interests. Conversely, if French investors do hold a majority, Britain might insist on a more neutral arbitrator (possibly German or Dutch, or even American) in order to prevent Nappy from strengthening French regional interests and to incur a debt of gratitude from Egypt. This timeline may see an earlier and sharper British-French imperial rivalry, making them more likely to oppose each other in Egypt rather than acting jointly.

Still other alternatives might involve Ismail Pasha not repudiating his predecessor's concessions to the company, or (if he's still forced to sell his shares to Britain in 1875) France forcing a write-down of Egyptian debt at that point in order to keep the British from getting too much control. I'm working with an earlier POD than AHP was, so I have more leverage - give me an early enough POD and some halfway plausible consequences to flow from it, and I shall change the world!

BTW, I read through the non-ah.com links you sent me. Interesting stuff. I see AHP already thought of Anglo-Zanzibari East Africa, so I guess there's nothing new under the sun, although with my earlier POD, I get to keep the Omanis as part of that empire.

I do agree that it is an area that needs more of my attention as well, as does what exactly went on in the Colonial Office, the India Office and the like, with regards to treaty formation and general policy in the mid 19th century

Let us remember that Abacar ITTL has been just as much of an enlightened despot as Louis-Napoléon; hell even more so, at least Bonaparte was elected. We can say that Abacar is the better man because he was largely more successful in his efforts, partially because France already had many of the institutions that Abacar is bringing to Sokoto, so that Abacar's efforts seem more revolutionary, and partially because Louis-Napoleon was also holding back radicals who wanted to go even further, something Abacar never had to deal with in his lifetime. As well its important to note the differences in their end; Abacar died a martyr, while Louis-Napoléon lived long enough to become the villain. In many critical ways they're different sides of the same coin. They both saw themselves as agents of progressive social change, and acted upon such impulses in a tyrannical manner. Abacar and his council is effectively no more democratic than Louis-Napoléon and his own inner circle, or himself and the Sénat.

I don't see how British Empire ITTL will be more overstretched in Africa compared to OTL. They will may become busier in West Africa ITTL, but IOTL they were preoccupied with a contiguous territory from Al-Iskandariyah to Cape Town. In absence of Egypt bondage, British will have much freer hand to check upon other's expansion in the continent. Their material power was sufficient to do so.

They'd have less depth but more breadth, and they'd also have to mess around with princely-state politics in East and West Africa, so the territories there would require somewhat more commitment than OTL.

Also, the scramble for Africa, however it shakes out in this timeline, won't be independent of continental European politics - if all the other continental powers tell Britain "sorry, you can't have the Congo basin to yourself," then the British would have to balance their local military superiority against possible consequences elsewhere.

The Congo could still end up going to Portugal as a British proxy, especially if Whitehall decides that it cares more about controlling the rubber plantations than about annoying the continental powers, but I don't think it's a foregone conclusion. Maybe the Portuguese will end up with the lower Congo while other powers grab off chunks of the rest of it - say, France picks up Equateur and Orientale, the Omani/Zanzibaris get Katanga, and some other minor power grabs Kasai and gets a windfall when the diamonds are found. There are all kinds of ways it can develop, so I won't make any firm decisions now, although I'll keep all this discussion in mind.

In Sokoto also, there is a strong and widespread will to be democratic and modern, but the infrastructure--including the restructuring of both the ruling and working classes into the more fluid and integrated forms appropriate to a modern Republic--has not progressed enough yet. The difference between the men is how Abacar so scrupulously avoids the trappings of formal monarchy. (Well, that's not so much "the" difference as a telling indication of the nature of the many differences!) But yes, in order to stay relevant and effective, Abacar too must often act quite differently than his visionary idealism says a leader among men should act. It is very well to suggest a college of ministers to hold executive power collectively, but whether he is right or wrong that such a thing might work in the developed nations, clearly Sokoto is light-years short of that and as noted, he knows if he ties his hands like that he can neither trust the new council to do right by his lights nor let him do right for them. Hence his actual status as Sultan in all but name.

There’s also the fact that, although the desire for modernism is widespread, it (a) isn’t universal, and (b) isn’t uniform across all aspects of society. There are many citizens of Sokoto in the 1840s who are happy with the new industries and infrastructure, but who still feel more comfortable with a monarchy than a republic, and would find an uncrowned sultan like Abacar (or like dan Fodio before him) more acceptable and less alien than a president or prime minister. This is part of the reason why, after his death, there are two Abacarist factions – one that’s loyal to his reforms and one that’s loyal to him personally – and they have to reconcile their desires. But that may be part of the point you’re making about Sokoto in the 1840s (and France at the same time) not having developed the institutional and social structures for bourgeois republicanism.

That said, while I don’t agree with Marx about everything, I do agree that historical necessity both shapes and constrains the progress of nations and their leaders. I tend to think that human will can push the envelope of historical necessity if the human in question has sufficient leverage, and can nudge historical forces in a different direction. Marx himself was such a person, although he’d probably deny it. But the most that any one person can do is nudge, and if such a person goes too far outside the constraints of his time and place, then he will either have to bend or be crushed.

I'm not a fan of stories in which a great man/woman creates an entirely new society through sheer force of will, and I've very consciously tried to keep Abacar's behavior and achievements within what a person of his time and place would be able to do. But of course, while he knows his limits, he isn't content with them, which is why he made the fatal mistake of failing to institutionalize the leadership and provide a means of succession. Sokoto and its successors will recover - and will continue to develop even while they are recovering - but it will take quite some time.

Let us remember that Abacar ITTL has been just as much of an enlightened despot as Louis-Napoléon; hell even more so, at least Bonaparte was elected. We can say that Abacar is the better man because he was largely more successful in his efforts, partially because France already had many of the institutions that Abacar is bringing to Sokoto, so that Abacar's efforts seem more revolutionary, and partially because Louis-Napoleon was also holding back radicals who wanted to go even further, something Abacar never had to deal with in his lifetime. As well its important to note the differences in their end; Abacar died a martyr, while Louis-Napoléon lived long enough to become the villain. In many critical ways they're different sides of the same coin. They both saw themselves as agents of progressive social change, and acted upon such impulses in a tyrannical manner. Abacar and his council is effectively no more democratic than Louis-Napoléon and his own inner circle, or himself and the Sénat.

Pretty much. To be sure, the governing council was elected after 1847, and even before that, opposition figures were represented, so it was more the Corps législatif than the Sénat. But the cabinet was responsible to Abacar, not to the council, and ultimately, his voice was the one that mattered. And while Abacar would usually back off if he saw that opposition was overwhelming, and didn't like to act without some kind of popular legitimacy, he'd do so if he considered the issue important enough. The Sokoto Republic’s political system was one in which dissent was tolerated, and in which the opposition had ways of expressing its voice and could sometimes force the government to back down, but it wasn’t a democracy.

For the most part, Abacar was fortunate enough to have a broad base of support and a disorganized opposition. Had he lived longer, however, his increasing radicalization would have led him in directions that the people didn't want to go and put him on a collision course with the developing representative institutions. In that event, he might have accepted removal from office or curtailment of his powers, but he also might not have done. He was more a progressive than a democrat, and progressivism was quite literally his religion, so if it came to a conflict between his progressive and democratic sensibilities, he might well have chosen the former.

I don't think it's entirely just to compare Abacar to Napoleon III - he didn't practice censorship and suppression of political opposition as Napoleon III did, and his foreign interventions were motivated by ideology rather than by regional power politics. Calling him a more successful Louis-Napoleon is incomplete without recognizing that he was also a more sincere Louis-Napoleon - which, as with most ideologues who take power, could be both a virtue and a vice.

Calling him a more successful Louis-Napoleon is incomplete without recognizing that he was also a more sincere Louis-Napoleon - which, as with most ideologues who take power, could be both a virtue and a vice.

Yes, this is essentially what I was attempting to say. ITTL's Abacar was more successful as a person, not just as a ruler or historical figure.

Gaiaye Diagne [1], Senegal: Rise of a Nation (Dakar: Nouvelle Presse Africaine, 1931)

… The 1848 revolution and the formation of the Second Republic transformed the politics of French Senegal. By decree of 27 April 1848, slavery was abolished throughout the French colonies, and the newly freed slaves were granted the citizenship of France. In the same year, the communes of Goré]e and Saint-Louis were declared integral parts of the French Republic and the originaires - those Africans native to the communes - were enfranchised. The communes were entitled to return one deputy to the National Assembly, with the election to be held from 30 October to 2 November. (The residents of the fledgling Libreville colony in Gabon were also granted citizenship, but the colony hadn’t been incorporated as a commune and was judged insufficiently established to be represented in parliament.)

The enfranchisement of the slaves and originaires added a new dimension to the communes’ already-fractious political makeup. Historically, politics in Saint-Louis and Gorée had consisted of a struggle between the metropolitan French, backed by the governor and his administration, and the métis merchant families, many of whom resented imperial monopolies and favored free trade. The mixed-race population was the more numerous and was often able to control the municipal councils and mayoralties, but it was also divided, and the governor frequently maintained the balance of power by playing one family off against another.

The Africans added a third element to the equation. Most were Muslim, and they had not been immune to the religious reformation taking place elsewhere in the Sahel. The Tijaniyyah Sufi brotherhood, founded in Morocco during the XVIII century as a socially reformist “Islam of the poor,” had reached Senegal during this period and found wide appeal in the communes. This philosophy was also one of the influences for El Hadj Umar Tall’s inland empire, but unlike Tall, the majority of originaires and freedmen interpreted it in a radical rather than a reactionary manner.

There are several reasons why the communes stood apart from the rest of the western Sahel in rejecting Tall’s conservatism, but the most important one is that Muslims in French Senegal were an opposition force rather than an established authority. The western Fulani jihadist states saw radical doctrine - particularly the theology of freedom emanating from Sokoto - as a threat to their authority; in contrast, the slaves and disenfranchised natives of the pre-1848 era saw it as a source of hope and a rallying point for resistance. Copies of Paulo Abacar’s Hurriya (Freedom) were circulating in the communes by 1846 in defiance of colonial censorship, and the book appeared in French translation the following year. Along with the other writings of Abacar and his followers, Hurriya gained currency among the influential marabouts who preached to slave and free African alike. By the advent of the Second Republic, the Wolof of the communes had gained a reputation for radicalism that they maintain, somewhat unfairly, to this day.

Thus, the 1848 election was one in which the votes of a newly enfranchised and politically aware black population were potentially decisive. For all that, there was no black candidate; instead, the election pitted colonial governor Bertin Du Château against abolitionist Victor Schoelcher (running in absentia) and wealthy Creole merchant Barthélemy Durand Valantin. Du Châeau sought to win the African vote with extravagant promises of public works and industrial development, and also pledged to give official status to the Islamic courts. Valantin, a long-time leader of popular protest against the colonial administration, denounced the governor as a corrupt place-holder who made cynical promises that he had no intention of keeping, and portrayed his own candidacy as one of racial empowerment.

TvWTn.jpg

Ultimately, Valantin’s record as an opposition leader carried the day, especially after the African marabouts - who hadn’t time to run their own candidate - threw their support to him. When the votes were counted, 3328 of the 4706 registered voters had participated, and Valantin won by 1865 votes to 1030 for Du Château and 433 for Schoelcher. [2] When a change in the electoral law in early 1849 necessitated a new vote, Valantin again won comfortably.

Valantin’s victory made him the first person of color to sit in the French parliament. However, by 1850, he had proven a disappointment to many of his supporters. He sat with the right wing in the national assembly and voted in favor of a restricted franchise as well as other policies that benefited the wealthy tis merchants at the expense of the Africans. His class politics didn’t sit well with the Tijaniyyah populists who had elected him, and he did little to address the economic exclusion that the originaires and freedmen continued to face despite their nominal citizen status. The Muslim majority was also angered by Valantin’s support for the loi Falleux-Parieu, which created an authoritarian system of public education in which the Catholic Church had a strong supervisory role.

Matters came to a head in early 1850, when Valantin requested a leave of absence to attend to his business in Senegal. The parliament refused, finding his reasons insufficient on the ground that they related to purely private interests. Rather than face bankruptcy, he returned to Senegal anyway and, by letter of 27 June 1850, submitted his resignation.

A by-election for the Saint Louis-Gorée seat was scheduled for 17 August 1851. There were, again, three major candidates. Lefort Consolin, a metropolitan merchant from Rouen, ran as Valantin’s proxy with the support of many of the Creoles. John Sleigth, a deputy mayor of Gorée and a métis, ran with the support of the governor. And Abdoulaye Diouf, a Wolof teacher who spoke fluent French and was popular among both the freedmen and originaires, ran as the first African candidate ever to stand for the National Assembly.

The election was a hard-fought one, with Diouf running on a platform that combined socialism, economic populism, Tijaniyyah social reformism and radical Abacarist democracy. His supporters faced heavy-handed intimidation from the colonial police and were threatened with loss of their jobs or even banishment, and bribery was also rampant. Diouf himself was twice arrested during the campaign, with outraged protests forcing his release on both occasions. However, the communes’ African constituents would not be deterred from voting, and more than 90 percent of the 4991 registered voters turned out. Diouf won with 1862 votes to 1839 for Sleigth and 940 for Consolin [3]; ironically, his 66-vote plurality in Gorée provided the margin of victory, meaning that the island famous for its “house of slaves” had secured the election of France’s first African lawmaker.

YJ1IB.jpg

In September 1851, Diouf arrived in Paris, where he quickly became the informal representative of the Africans resident in France as well as the Senegal communes. This was a perilous time for France, with the National Assembly engaged in an increasingly bitter confrontation with Prince-Président Louis-Napoleon. The decisions Diouf made during the crisis were to shape Senegal’s destiny for decades to come…

[1] Known in OTL by his baptismal name of Blaise. His analogue in this timeline – who isn’t quite the same person, because he was born well after the POD – wasn’t baptized as a child and remained a Muslim.

[2] In OTL, with a less politically active African population, only 2071 votes were cast, and Valantin won with 1080 to 687 for Du Château, 260 for Schoelcher, and 44 for minor candidates. Schoelcher also ran for, and won, a seat in Martinique.

[3] In OTL, Sleigth won this election with 1222 votes against 929 for Consolin, but his election was nullified by a court on the ground that his position as a government contractor made him ineligible. The seat remained vacant until it was abolished by Napoleon III in 1852, and Senegal wasn’t represented in the National Assembly again until the Third Republic.

Last edited:
Oh shit. If Louis-Napoléon or his reactionary allies think the Senegalese are becoming a threat, things could get hairy.

Oh shit. If Louis-Napoléon or his reactionary allies think the Senegalese are becoming a threat, things could get hairy.

Indeed. But for whom?

Sure, France has ample resources to quash rebellion in Senegal. But simply cracking down on the Africans will cost them. The British are nearby, with a legacy already in place of getting along with Abacarism at the very source of it; being seen as European chauvinists who won't give the Islamic resonance of France's own revolutionary legacy a hearing will put them on the wrong foot in their competition with Britain.

Now Britain surely doesn't want to get into a full-blown colonial war with France in West Africa. But piecemeal, there will be opportunity after opportunity to maneuver and consolidate, if the British can keep their reputation as reasonable Europeans who respect the Africans.

I do know that OTL, Louis Bonaparte's regime was rather better for the Algerians than the prior kingdom or the subsequent Third Republic; he fancied himself a champion of the romantic natives and was flattered by the notion of being acclaimed a king worthy of Muslims. So he may have it in him to take a breath, and think carefully about how to deal with this challenge in a way that won't so blatantly alienate the Senegalese. Divide and rule, that's what he'll have to be thinking of.

But he might neglect to think twice and just have recourse to force.

The Africans will suffer if he just cracks down, no doubt about it. But France might suffer too.

For the sake of peace and tranquillity and to avoid a total nerfing of France in the region, we'd want to hope Bonaparte takes the higher road. But we have been foretold France will indeed wind up much weaker in West Africa; here may be a crucial reason why they lose.

I was actually thinking that, considering the instability of the Bonaparte regime, especially in the Second Republic and the early years of the Second Empire, that there is a very real chance for France to lose some, perhaps even a majority, of her West African colonies to rebellion/revolution; emphatically not to another power (such as Britain).

If so this would certainly make France focus more on Gabon and Algeria.

Diouf is more of a Diagne or a Senghor than a Cheikh Anta Diop. St. Louis and Gorée have been French for a while at this point, and it's seeped down into the culture. Diouf is a cultural Francophile, a good deal of his radicalism is the indigenous French kind, and at least for now, he's OK with the idea of being a "black Frenchman." He's not a Senegalese nationalist - he may become one later if he's pushed, but he isn't one at this point in the story.

Of course, all that may not stop Nappy from considering him a threat. His race might not be such a big deal - France was more comfortable with having black and mixed-race citizens, even in positions of power, than the English-speaking world of the time - but he's opposing vested colonial interests (both white and mixed race), he's a June Days sort of rabble-rouser, and he's a Muslim in a country where the Catholic Church was still powerful. It'll be touch and go.

Without giving too many of my cards away, though, I wonder if it might be possible for him to make a deal with Napoleon III. He won't like the Emperor's politics, and the feeling will be mutual, but there are things they can do for each other. French Senegal will come under threat soon from Umar Tall (who's currently more concerned with Sokoto but who may shortly have his attention redirected elsewhere), and the Toucouleur army will be both stronger and more experienced than OTL. Diouf and the originaires, many of whom had family in the interior, could potentially rally the Wolof to the French side in exchange for certain economic concessions and the communes keeping their political rights, which were abolished in OTL under the empire. That way, the expansion of French colonial rule in West Africa, whether under Faidherbe or someone else, could take place under an established tradition of political rights for assimilated Africans - a sort of "Latin right" colonialism, at least in areas with relatively sophisticated precolonial states.

The more reactionary members of Napoleon's clique will oppose this, but my read on the Emperor himself is that he might be pragmatic enough to go for it. So is Diouf, although we haven't yet seen much of him.

What I'm aiming for, possibly, is a French colonialism with less breadth but more depth, to balance the greater breadth but lesser depth of the British empire. Obviously, this would have both good and bad aspects - more of the good in places like Senegal, much more of the bad in the central African rubber colonies, and something in between in Côte d'Ivoire and Guinea (where France already had outposts in the 1840s, although their long-term fate in this timeline is uncertain). In any event, I don't foresee France abandoning Senegal, which, as noted, has been French territory for a long time and has both strategic and economic importance. Does this sound reasonable?

What I'm aiming for, possibly, is a French colonialism with less breadth but more depth, to balance the greater breadth but lesser depth of the British empire. Obviously, this would have both good and bad aspects - more of the good in places like Senegal, much more of the bad in the central African rubber colonies, and something in between in Côte d'Ivoire and Guinea (where France already had outposts in the 1840s, although their long-term fate in this timeline is uncertain). In any event, I don't foresee France abandoning Senegal, which, as noted, has been French territory for a long time and has both strategic and economic importance. Does this sound reasonable?

Hm. Senegal as well as Algeria as an "integral part of France?"

Bruce

Great update; very interesting. It's fascinating to see the differing effects of Abcarist philosophy throughout West Africa. Have there been any effects in Brazil's still-massive slave population?

Cheers,
Ganesha

...Does this sound reasonable?

It depends on how smart Napoleon gets, how fast. Given the time lag of communications, it depends mainly on who he sends to Senegal, with what orders. Pick the right proconsul, with instructions to calm things down, and yes I think it could be done.

One advantage an autocrat has over an executive accountable to an effective democracy is, he can cut different deals for different populations. The logic of precedent and consistency of rules isn't so strong when the governing system is the personal will of some ruler. So Senegal might for instance have local democracy while it is suppressed or turned into an empty shell in France itself.

Hm. Senegal as well as Algeria as an "integral part of France?"

The communes of St. Louis and Gorée (the latter of which included what would later become Dakar and Rufisque) already were, so there's precedent. What I have in mind is a Roman-type expansion, with new colonies first getting a sort of Latin right in which their notables become French citizens, and then becoming integral parts of France once a certain critical mass of their population consists of évolués (fully assimilated Africans). This would, of course, work better in theory than in practice, since there would be a good deal of racism as well as vested interests who don't want Africans to have full citizenship. I'd expect it to work best in places where (1) the precolonial population already had sophisticated states, and (2) there isn't any resource over which metropolitan French companies want to establish a monopoly. So Senegal is probably OK (at least once the colonial wars are over) but Ubangi-Shari and the French parts of the Congo are hosed, although Congo would probably be hosed no matter who gets it.

It's fascinating to see the differing effects of Abcarist philosophy throughout West Africa.

Everyone is going to pick and choose from it depending on local conditions and its fit with pre-existing doctrines. I tend to think the "all politics is local" maxim also applies to religion, and doubly so to religious politics.

Have there been any effects in Brazil's still-massive slave population?

That will feature in the next update. I'd actually be interested in suggestions about South America, given that I'm nowhere near as familiar with its history as I am with Africa's. South America won't be showing up too often given that the primary focus will always be West Africa, but as Abacarism, Belloism and their successor philosophies spread to the African diaspora, the Afro-Brazilians will appear from time to time.

When the Ottomans get more involved later on, I'll also be looking for suggestions in that area, and I think I know at least one person who'll provide them. ;)

It depends on how smart Napoleon gets, how fast. Given the time lag of communications, it depends mainly on who he sends to Senegal, with what orders. Pick the right proconsul, with instructions to calm things down, and yes I think it could be done.

Faidherbe was a pretty smart cookie, and he was flexible about how to accomplish his goals. He's due to show up in Senegal in 1852; in OTL, he was appointed governor in 1854, but with a more imminent military threat, he might get a faster promotion. And of course, during the critical period, Diouf will be in Paris, so he'll be in a position to influence what orders Faidherbe gets, especially if he offers to raise a couple of Wolof regiments for the French colonial army.

One advantage an autocrat has over an executive accountable to an effective democracy is, he can cut different deals for different populations. The logic of precedent and consistency of rules isn't so strong when the governing system is the personal will of some ruler. So Senegal might for instance have local democracy while it is suppressed or turned into an empty shell in France itself.

Hmmm. What I had in mind was for Senegal to get as much democracy as the rest of the Second Empire had - i.e., to retain its representation in the legislature (for whatever that was worth under Napoleon III) and to keep those Africans who were French citizens on a nominally equal footing - but the idea of it having more democracy is intriguing. Did municipalities during the Second Empire have elected councils and mayors? If that right is preserved for the Senegalese communes but not for the rest of France, and if there's somewhat more freedom from censorship during the early empire, then Senegal could attract an interesting crew of French oppositionists, and could find itself with a large account of gratitude when the Third Republic kicks in. Senghor's Athènes de l'Afrique indeed...

Interlude: North and South, 1852

Sapelo Island, Georgia:

liWAv.jpg

No one knew exactly how old Bilali Mahomet was. He might be eighty, or maybe eighty-five - there were no records where he came from, and that was a long way away. What no one doubted was that he was the oldest Geechee on the island, and that he was the boss.

He’d been taken for a slave when he was still young, brought from Africa and sold to Dr. John Bell’s plantation in the Caicos Islands. He’d been no more than a boy, alone in a strange country, but he’d had three things: his mind, his faith and his letters. Dr. Bell noticed him early, saw that he had an eye for what needed to be done and a talent for making men do it, and made him a driver. He’d stayed one when the doctor died and most of his family was sold north to Thomas Spalding’s new cotton plantation on Sapelo - in fact, although he never knew it, Spalding had asked for him by name.

If you had to be a slave, Spalding wasn’t a bad master. He let the slaves do what they wanted when they were done with their jobs, let them run the quarters their own way, and didn’t pay much attention to the increasingly restrictive laws coming from Milledgeville. And instead of hiring white men as managers, he promoted his best slaves. Bilali was one of them - he’d been made head driver, then clerk, then overseer of the whole plantation. Spalding trusted him to keep the books, and even trusted him with guns - during the war against the British, he’d drilled a company of eighty Muslim slaves to defend the place against an attack that never came.

By the time Bilali was fifty, he was the boss of Sapelo whenever Spalding wasn’t around, which was most of the time - the master had other plantations and a bank to take care of, and he was always in the state capital for one political thing or another. That meant Bilali and his family - his tribe, by now - lived pretty much as they pleased. He wore a fez and a long white robe over his trousers, preached to the other Muslims in the quarters, and wrote commentaries on Maliki jurisprudence in Arabic longhand when he wasn’t getting in the cotton crop. He ran the quarters like an African village, treated illnesses and wounds, and the Christian slaves were all sure he was a magician - they told stories about him up and down the Georgia coast. And he wrote letters.

There had always been a few slaves back in the islands who’d written to each other - and sometimes even written home - in Arabic, and Bilali had found ways to do so even here. Whenever he sent one of his sons to Savannah with the cartloads of cotton, he’d given him a letter or two to hand to the captains, and Spalding’s agent at the harbor knew to hold mail for him when it came in. He had to be a bit more careful now, with the new law forbidding the “Mahometan religion” among slaves and the harbormaster looking carefully at any written matter, but it was easy enough to work Arabic script into drawings, and none of the harbor police knew enough to tell the difference. So he’d hear at long intervals from Sierra Leone, and he’d gather his family and tell them the news from the motherland.

There was a letter for him in today’s mail, and he unrolled it to see a drawing of a farmhouse and orchard with a stream flowing through. That would be Ibrahim Koroma - the Freetown imam always liked to draw trees and rivers, because it was easy to hide the words among the leaves and currents. Bilali’s eyes were starting to fail him, but he’d still learned to read the sketches almost as easily as a book, which only added to his reputation as a sorcerer.

Hours later, when night fell and he’d returned from the fields, he took his place by the fire and let the tribe settle around him. Sally - a churchgoing Christian, but a good wife to one of his grandsons for all that - brought him some red rice and tea, and he read to himself while the family chattered on about last night’s ring-shout and tomorrow’s work.

The first part of the letter - the first tree in the orchard, if you will - was about a teacher called Umar Tall, and the sultans and warlords who’d followed him on an expedition to the east. He’d read that to the family before they went to bed; it was always good to remind them that there were black kings. But from there, the news got stranger and more fascinating. There was another country somewhere far in the interior of Africa, and its king was said to be an imam who’d been a slave in Brazil. He’d written a book, or maybe it was two, condemning slavery and arguing that it was a Muslim’s duty to be free.

To Koroma, this was heresy, and he’d written to warn Bilali against such a departure from true doctrine. Bilali wasn’t sure of that at all. Koroma didn’t know what it was to be a slave; he, and this teacher from Brazil, did. The letter was maddeningly incomplete in its description of the work - especially in the places where Koroma’s writing merged illegibly into the tree-bark and grass - but if he had it right, then a Muslim slave was obligated not only to keep his faith but to free himself and others.

That made sense, heresy or not. For Muslims in a Christian land, didn’t faith and freedom go together? Even his grandchildren talked like Christians more often than not, and that was with him teaching them and the master leaving them alone. On other plantations where the master made everyone go to church and punished anyone who said the Muslim prayers, the faith would be lost much sooner than that. If Muslims were slaves, if they couldn’t control their destiny, they’d fade like a drop of ink in a Christian ocean.

For the first time in years, Bilali wished that there were other imams on the island, learned men to help him think the matter through. He trusted Koroma, but he suspected that the teacher from Freetown was wrong this time, and that the Brazilian king was inspired by God. And if so, what did that say about his own life? He’d made his family as free as he could, and that was quite a bit, but should he have done more? Should he still do more, both for them and for whatever other Muslims might live in slavery?

He wouldn’t read that part of the letter out loud – in fact, he’d burn it. But he’d tell his sons, and the others he trusted. That way, when the time came, they’d know what to do. [1]

*******​

The interior of Pernambuco:

l25GO.jpg

When Mary Ann was a child, her grandmother Pammy had told her what it was like on the slave ships – the chains and the closeness and the despair and the death. “Be glad you don’t have to go through that,” she’d said every morning, when she’d sent her granddaughter out to the tobacco fields. Mary Ann had been horrified as only a child with a vivid imagination could be, and it had made the work easier, as her grandmother intended. But not in her wildest dreams had she imagined that Pammy might be wrong.

Pammy had died a couple of years later, and maybe that was just as well, because in ’49, Marse George had a very bad year, and in ’50, he had another. He had to sell things to make his bills, and he wanted to keep the land in the family, so what was there to sell but slaves? Ten sold south in ’49, fourteen more the following year, and that time Mary Ann was one of them. Her husband wasn’t.

“Got a regular slave farm going,” the buyer had told Marse George when he came to pick up the second consignment. Mary Ann had heard there were farms like that – places where the master farmed slaves instead of tobacco or cotton, and sold them off as children – and who knew what Marse George might do in the future? She wouldn’t, that was for sure.

She’d expected to be marched south, to some plantation in South Carolina or Alabama where they needed more slaves, but the buyer had taken them to port instead. “Get better money for y’all in Brazil, now they can’t get new ones from Africa” he’d deigned to explain, and Mary Ann had learned for herself what slave ships were like.

It had been a nightmare, best forgotten. She’d miscarried on the voyage, which might have been for the best, but pregnant women were worth more, so the captain thrashed her to punish her for the loss of value. She took a fever halfway, and at times she was praying she’d die, but God had other plans, and the fever broke three days out of Recife.

She hadn’t seen much of the town, other than where she was sold. After that – well, tobacco field sugar field, made no nevermind. The seasons were strange, but the work was as hot as it had been in Virginia, and it broke her back just the same.

But then she’d been taken into the house – the mistress wanted someone who could cook American food, something exotic to serve at parties. And there, Mary Ann had to find her way in another world. The American slaves in the fields had been left to themselves mostly, put in their own gangs like the other “nations,” and the overseers knew a few words of English to boss them. But there were no other Americans in the kitchen, so she’d had to learn Portuguese and get accustomed to a different way of working.

It was Isabella who’d taught her – one of the other cooks, about as old as her mother would have been – and as the months passed, the two women became close. “Used to be much worse,” Isabella told her one evening while they were cleaning up. “They’ve got to take better care of us now, with so few new ones coming and so many running off.”

“Running off where?”

“To the mountains. To the quilombos. To the city. But you’d never make it, María. It’s a long way, and if they catch you, they hurt you bad.”

Mary Ann was silent for a while, and Isabella could see she was still thinking. “Come with me tomorrow night. I know someone who can guide you.”

All the next day, Mary Ann wondered what her friend had meant. It was Sunday, a day off for most slaves, and although the cooks still had to cook, they got off early. By evening, they were done cleaning, and Isabella took her hand and led her silently out of the house.

They walked out of the plantation as darkness gathered, and into a thick forest. Had Isabella decided to take her away from this after all? But then they came to a clearing, and she saw.

There must have been a hundred slaves in the clearing, some men but mostly women, and she assumed, from the number of them that she didn’t recognize, that many were from other plantations. There was a fire, and by it a woman in red and white, and others carrying statues of the Virgin Mary and a dusky saint.

“They think we’re worshiping their saints,” Isabella whispered. “But those are really the orixás, the gods of the motherland. Xangô is war, and he is fire. Yemanjá, the mother – she is water.” Mary Ann, raised in the church, started away, but Isabella took her arm firmly. “There’s no evil here,” she said, “and the mãe-de-santo will help you.”

Even as she said this, the drums began, and the woman in red and white began dancing around the fire. More women joined her, and others raised a song in a language Mary Ann didn’t recognize. It wasn’t Portuguese; in places, it reminded her a little of words her grandmother had said, but she couldn’t hear enough to be sure.

Slowly, the dance grew in intensity, with the mãe shaking and thrusting a stick as if at war with a ghost. She danced faster and faster, and finally she cried out. The voice wasn’t her own, and she spoke in another language still – something with the cadence of poetry, but oddly dissonant with the hymns the others were still singing.

“The orixá has her now,” Isabella said.

“What’s she saying?”

“It’s the god talking now. He’s telling the story of the yamali, who will come to fight for us.”

“Who were they?”

Isabella answered slowly, keeping pace with the mãe as she told the story. “They were slaves, like us but far to the south. They had a different god, Olorum-ulua, and he told them to rise up, and they went to the mountains and fought against the white men. But then Xangô came for them and took them to another place, where they fight his wars in the heavens. And when it’s time to rise up again, they’ll come back and fight for us with flaming swords.”

The pulse of the drums and the shock of the mãe’s trance had left Mary Ann without words. “Was this a long time ago?” she asked, trying to make sense of it.

“Not so long ago – when you were a child, or maybe when I was. They say the yamali had a king named Abaka, and that Xangô was in him even though his god was false.”

Closer to the fire, the mãe’s possession had ended, and the worshipers were singing in reverse to ease the orixá’s outward journey. Someone had brought a chicken, and she killed it over the fire, giving it to another to add to the meal that they would share.

“The mãe,” Mary Ann whispered. “She will tell us when it’s time to rise?”

“She will. And she’ll teach you, because I see the orixás in you too. You’ve come far, and you’ve given up much, and you’ve suffered greatly – now it’s time to learn what your power is…”

nQkkB.jpg

Yemanjá

*******​

[1] Bilali Muhammad, the Gullah patriarch of Sapelo Island, existed, and his life story was much as related. There’s also documented evidence of Muslim slaves communicating with each other, and with correspondents in West Africa, in Arabic. Bilali himself isn’t known to have exchanged such letters, but he was literate in Arabic and could easily have done so. Very few of his personal papers have survived (a legal treatise discovered after his death appears to be the only one), so it’s entirely possible that he could have sent and received letters for which there is no surviving evidence. I’ve assumed for purposes of this timeline that he did so.

Some background on Bilali (called “Bu Allah” in the article) can be found in Junne, “Neither Christian nor Heathen: Islam among the African Slaves in the Americas,” Journal of Faculty of Sharia, Law & Islamic Studies 14: 1-61 (1996) (text available here). The Junne article, in addition to being a good basic source about Islamic slaves in the Americas, describes several remarkable characters, at least one more of whom will feature in this timeline. Crook, in “Bilali: The Old Man of Sapelo Island,” Wadabagei 10: 40-54 (2007) (available here) traces his roots to West Africa and the Caicos Islands, and provides some discussion of his family.

The person in the portrait, however, isn’t him – it’s Yarrow Mamout, another Muslim freedman who lived to an advanced age.

Last edited: