In peacetime it simply would not be worth it, but then again, its refit is more about getting the most use out of her (for the duration) then some major rework. It is an old ship, but she is still a carrier, and advantages that carrier provides are obvious. Hopefully she would have a better fate then IOTL.

Ramontxo

Donor
Here's the Lanikai
link, if anyone wants it. It's a good read.
“My God! What are you doing here?” cried Rear Admiral William R. Purnell, Chief of Staff to Commander Southwest Pacific. “You’re supposed to be dead!”

Given the running battle between the Kriegsmarine and the USN in the North Atlantic didn’t make the US Congress to declare war on Germany I doubt very much that a single small schooner would have changed anything in the Pacific

Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor
I was reflecting on the chat with Butchpfd, re the Hong Kong transfers going to Singapore via Manila. I wondered if this movement of British and Indian troops from a lost cause (Hong Kong) might make the Americans re-evaluate their position with the 4th Marines Regt in Shanghai, and withdraw them earlier.

Hart wanted to bring out the 4th as early as August. All U.S. citizen dependents were withdrawn by late 1940, the same time he ordered dependents in P.I. sent to Hawaii or Continental U.S.. One issue was transport, USN and Army transports were bring reinforcements and staff to Hawaii, as well as the Philippines. It could give him the impitus to use one or two of his auxiliaries to move the 4th. Giving the 4th time to Intigrate the 2 Independent battalions at Olopongo and Cavite, and field combat training .

Where it also might help would be to give Hart a way to break his recon restrictions set byMac Arthur. Imaging sub patrols to 20 miles off Formosa, or patrol transits to Guam, PBYs more then half way to Formosa, or north of Luzon. Imagine on 8 December, a PBY reporting Formosa fogged in or a sub spotting the inbound aircraft to attack the airfields 2 hours early.

Last edited:
Why does FDR risk it? What does FDR know that the rest of us don't? This wasn't the thinking of ADM Hart or ADM Stark or SECNAV Knox. This concept oozed out of the White House and is verified later by RADM Tolley.

Are three small schooners trying a replay of the USS Panay? ADM King is losing destroyers to the KM and it's not provoking a war declaration. However, FDR is directing CINC ASIATICFLT to lose commissioned USN vessels, to spark a war with Japan. Is there knowledge that SEN Barkley and SPEAKER Rayburn can deliver the vote against Japan?
Like Hart, and King, FDR understood that war with Japan was coming and probably sooner then later. There is no other documentation beyond the intercepts we know about. As is the only vessel acquired was the Lanaki. If you look at the crew you have an Intelligence Officer and a linguist, and several of the Petty Officers are radio operators. This leads me to think that the radio operators came from Station CAST and Hart may have planned a different plan for the mission, going for radio intercepts of imminent operations. But the war came too soon.

Ramontxo

Donor
Why does FDR risk it? What does FDR know that the rest of us don't? This wasn't the thinking of ADM Hart or ADM Stark or SECNAV Knox. This concept oozed out of the White House and is verified later by RADM Tolley.

Are three small schooners trying a replay of the USS Panay? ADM King is losing destroyers to the KM and it's not provoking a war declaration. However, FDR is directing CINC ASIATICFLT to lose commissioned USN vessels, to spark a war with Japan. Is there knowledge that SEN Barkley and SPEAKER Rayburn can deliver the vote against Japan?
Alternatively, just maybe, the White House couldn't care less about the fate of some small ships in the Pacific.

Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor
I can't see deploying the three small schooners was an attempt by FDR to create an incident leading to war with Japan. I see this merely as an intelligence gathering operation, not dissimilar to what the Japanese were doing with some of their fishing vessels. With a very clear stated intent of Germany First, embroiling yourself in a war with Japan only, is not the way forward, you can end up in the worse possible situation with the American public fixed on fighting Japan, and forgetting that 'European war'. And historically it happened this way, thankfully saved by Hitler declaring war on the USA. One wonders how that would have played out if he didn't.

MWI 41092216 Better Communications

Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor
1941, Monday 22 September;

Major George Smith, CO of the Canadian Cable and Construction Company, RCSC, sat in the office of Lt Col Francis Pope’s office, the Chief Signal Officer for III Indian Corps. His Signals Company worked under the command of Colonel Giblin, Chief Signal Officer, Malaya Command, but much of his work had been for Pope. Smith was being ordered to downscale his involvement in III Indian Corps area, and they were discussing what work had been completed and what was either work in progress, in hand or awaiting equipment.

“Francis, I’m afraid we’re not going to be able to start the Taiping or Ipoh telephone exchange upgrades as planned, there’s a number of other projects we’ll have to shelf too, and the Kuala Lumpur to Temerloh trunk route is a definite non- starter, we’ve not even started surveying a route yet. For current work, I’m told to continue anything that can be finished in four weeks, otherwise, it’s stops at an appropriate point, and not to start anything new, unless it’s a direct order from Giblin, and that will mean from Percival himself.”

“So, what’s this big flap about George, is war about to start?”

“I’m told it’s a prioritisation of work, RAF airfields and the Radar network are still number one, then it’s to improve the truck calling capacity of the whole of Malaya, but especially between Singapore and Kuala Lumpur. Apparently, Lord Gort was interrupted on a call by a switchboard operator, who told him his time was up and she had a call booked in for the Malacca Red Cross branch, wanting to organise a Christmas social. He told her who he was and she said she didn’t care if he was Lord Haw Haw, his time was up, and cut him off. Gort wants some trunk lines to be exclusively for the military to stop that happening again”.

“Ha ha, I’d loved to have been a fly on the wall for that one, so will all work stop north of Kuala Lumpur George?”

“Good god, no, it’s not that simple at all, I have men working everywhere. It’s the natural of our makeup. Firstly, the men in the company have a vast array of skills, most work on the external plant, some are linemen, other cablers or jointers, but some are internal engineers, use to working on main frames, switchboards, and even the auto exchanges that are being built in North America these days. They work in groups of less than ten, many four-man teams, or twos, even singletons. In part because of their technical knowledge, and in part because of the need for individual responsibility, we have a lot of NCO’s and junior officers, far more than a normal signals company.

The RAF airfields are going to keep a good 40-50 men busy, especially some like Penang Island, and I’ve a commitment to keep working on the Kedah defensive lines being built. I’ve also lost a few men, all unmarried volunteers, to Malaya Command for ‘other duties’ but I’ve no idea what that’s about, all a bit hush hush, and there’s another 20 or so in Kelantan, around Kota Bharu. But more and more will gradually move over to working with the Malaya Posts and Telegraph people on these trunk upgrades. What about yourself Francis, how’s things here?”

“Same as before, everyone wants more, never enough to go around, one problem after another, I must say your boys have been a godsend, we’re so short on good experienced men, and equipment shortages, although that’s gradually improving. I can’t say much old chap, loose talk and all that all you know, but it sounds like there are some big changes afoot” Pope put an index finger to his closed lips and winked, causing Smith to smile.

Well, at least they caught that one early... That line about men being detached for volunteer work, something maybe with radar? Creating an air defense system is more then plonking a couple of radar stations and calling it a day, and Canadians provide a very rare source of skilled and trained manpower they can draw upon.

Given that ITTL the defence needs take precedence, what is the shape of the field defences that British have been building or are planning to build? There was a mention some time ago about plans for these defences being presented, so it would be interesting to hear what is the situation in that regard.

Keep up thr good work.

Apparently, Lord Gort was interrupted on a call by a switchboard operator, who told him his time was up and she had a call booked in for the Malacca Red Cross branch, wanting to organise a Christmas social. He told her who he was and she said she didn’t care if he was Lord Haw Haw, his time was up, and cut him off. Gort wants some trunk lines to be exclusively for the military to stop that happening again”.
To point out the obvious, there are serious security issues with military calls going through civilian switchboards.

1684325118589.jpeg

I believe that ADM King was CINCLANT in late September 1941. Although at this moment in time, I would not put it past FDR to keep CNO Stark out of the loop!

The workhorse receiver for the IJN was their Type 92 Super Heterodyne receiver. It received from 20 Hz to 20Mhz. So it covers long, medium and shortwave reception. The range varies by frequency, but I've read that the shortwave range could reach upwards of 1500 miles. That varies of course with the transmission base strength. I would think that since the Cavite is only about 800 miles from Cam Ranh Bay, that would fall within the reception range of both land based and ship based transmissions. Maybe the skip zones aren't optimal, but there have to be other US Naval Comm Dets/ Intercept Stations around Luzon.

Would Station Cast personnel be exposed to field collection work? That's hard to call. There was a great deal of time and effort put into FRUPAC security. Do you place your radiomen within a short distance and high risk of capture? I think that it's better to get a couple of RM's from Mariveles or the tin cans to stand port and starboard(stupid)
on the radio stack.
If I remember from past readings, King was a personal friend of Hart's and closer to FDR then Stark. This routing would if necessary, give Stark deniability to congress.

As to Station CAST, it had access to two massive radio arrays,the USNs Sangley Point radio, and the Army Navy array, Topside on Corrigidor . Both radio stations had the range and power to communicate directly with their stations around San Francisco, though norma.ly Communications went via underseas cable, and radio via Hawaii.
There were no other arrays use by the Navy. However, all ships, especially the China Station gunboats monitored and reported to CAST.
CAST was administratively headquartered with the Asiatic Fleet at the Marsman building in Manila, but operationally it was located at Sangley Point NAS on the tip of Cavite, with the Cavite Independent Marine battalion, and local gunboats for security, as well as the main code breaking and reception located in Navy Tunnel on Corrigidor. CAST did decipher work and translation on what they got but did not work directly with either HOTEL at Pearl Harbor or D.C.. Both stations relayed interceptions to D.C. where everything was put together. Only Mac Arthur was read in on the full messaging, HQ naively believing that because of their long friendship, Mac Arthur would share information with Hart.
Note on Hart and MacArthur friendship. Hart was Mac Arthur's late brother's best friend, and a family friend from ca 1900. Hart was one of 4 people who could Call Mac Arthur, Douglas. The other 3 were Mac Arthur's wife, FDR, and George Marshall. The friendship situation, when Hart assumed command of the Asiatic Fleet became very strained, with Hart telling confidants, that something was off with Mac.

Last edited:
MWI 41092400 The Malaya War Act 1941

Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor
1941, Wednesday 24 September;

Within days of the dismissal of the obstructionist, Stanley Jones, Caldecott began working on new legislation to speed up the process of government in Malaya. The Straits Settlements were quite co-operative, and the four Federated States could be managed, but the five Un-Federated States had to be treated as separate entities. His new Colonial Secretary, Hugh Fraser was able to broker deals and circumvent the due processes, but this in itself was time consuming and costly. Caldecott needed another way.

The one thing all the Malayan States had in common was Britain was responsible for their defence. And with the encroachment of an aggressive Japan, Caldecott could quite legitimately claim there was a direct threat to their security. The art was drawing up an Act that could be applied to all, a bill that was a ‘catch all’ without appearing to be removing their self-governance.

The current political system had either a British Advisor or British Resident appointed to the Sultan in each state, with the functions of a diplomat, providing indirect rule. These were consulted by Caldecott and Fraser, and gradually a bill was written. Then came the part where they had to get acceptance from the Sultans. The bill was presented to each of Sultans at the same time, in their own states. The Straits Settlements immediately accepted the bill, and after three days, so had the four Federated States. Some unofficial sweetening or arm wrestling was done with the Un-Federated States, and the last one to sign, Perlis, signed twelve days later on the 24th September 1941, thanks in no small part to the role part played by the Sultan of Johore, who was able to secure a quite favourable financial package for the Sultan of Perlis from Caldecott, all unofficial of course.

The scope of the bill allowed for relatively small local initiatives to be undertaken, i.e., requisition, restricting access, compulsory purchase, curfew or total exclusions in small areas, without a major wrangle, while where possible local businessmen were awarded the contacts to provide the required works. And even larger works were able to be started much quicker, again firstly using local firms and businessmen if possible, allowing the local populace and more importantly, the local Sultan, to gain financial benefits from the scheme. And the fact was they didn’t have to be at war, merely in the interests of the defence of Malaya was sufficient to employ the act. Once pasted, very quickly Malaya and Singapore became use to and accepted its everyday use.

Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor
Well, at least they caught that one early... That line about men being detached for volunteer work, something maybe with radar? Creating an air defense system is more then plonking a couple of radar stations and calling it a day, and Canadians provide a very rare source of skilled and trained manpower they can draw upon.

Given that ITTL the defence needs take precedence, what is the shape of the field defences that British have been building or are planning to build? There was a mention some time ago about plans for these defences being presented, so it would be interesting to hear what is the situation in that regard.

Keep up thr good work.
Hi Triune Kingdom, thank you

Currently work progresses on the Jitra Line, concrete pill boxes built, some trenchwork done, although because this is low lying country, it quickly fills with water. A anti tank ditch is being constructed, but again at a very slow pace. They are planning a second line of defence at Gurun, although no work has started yet. Extensive coastal defences being built on the east coast in Kelantan, around Kota Bharu and extending southwards, also at Kuantan, and Mersing. Stories on all this will follow in due course.

Driftless

Donor
1941, Wednesday 24 September;

Within days of the dismissal of the obstructionist, Stanley Jones, Caldecott began working on new legislation to speed up the process of government in Malaya. The Straits Settlements were quite co-operative, and the four Federated States could be managed, but the five Un-Federated States had to be treated as separate entities. His new Colonial Secretary, Hugh Fraser was able to broker deals and circumvent the due processes, but this in itself was time consuming and costly. Caldecott needed another way.

The one thing all the Malayan States had in common was Britain was responsible for their defence. And with the encroachment of an aggressive Japan, Caldecott could quite legitimately claim there was a direct threat to their security. The art was drawing up an Act that could be applied to all, a bill that was a ‘catch all’ without appearing to be removing their self-governance.

The current political system had either a British Advisor or British Resident appointed to the Sultan in each state, with the functions of a diplomat, providing indirect rule. These were consulted by Caldecott and Fraser, and gradually a bill was written. Then came the part where they had to get acceptance from the Sultans. The bill was presented to each of Sultans at the same time, in their own states. The Straits Settlements immediately accepted the bill, and after three days, so had the four Federated States. Some unofficial sweetening or arm wrestling was done with the Un-Federated States, and the last one to sign, Perlis, signed twelve days later on the 24th September 1941, thanks in no small part to the role part played by the Sultan of Johore, who was able to secure a quite favourable financial package for the Sultan of Perlis from Caldecott, all unofficial of course.

The scope of the bill allowed for relatively small local initiatives to be undertaken, i.e., requisition, restricting access, compulsory purchase, curfew or total exclusions in small areas, without a major wrangle, while where possible local businessmen were awarded the contacts to provide the required works. And even larger works were able to be started much quicker, again firstly using local firms and businessmen if possible, allowing the local populace and more importantly, the local Sultan, to gain financial benefits from the scheme. And the fact was they didn’t have to be at war, merely in the interests of the defence of Malaya was sufficient to employ the act. Once pasted, very quickly Malaya and Singapore became use to and accepted its everyday use.
All of that wrangling sounds like Caldecott and Co. have worked out a very hefty lever to be used for security administration, with the clinker of short lead time (of course they don't know how short...)

Ramp-Rat

Monthly Donor
FDR, and American entry into WWII.

FDR, was in 1939 in a very difficult position, while he and a number of the more thoughtful believed that America should join the Allied Powers, in resisting German aggression. There was a substantial percentage of the American population who believed that America should stay out of the conflict, and a majority who were indifferent to events in Europe. Plus there was a small minority who believed that America should help the Germans against the Soviet communists. He campaigned on a platform of keeping American boys safe and out of the conflict and not allowing the British to trick America into the war, as many believed they had done in WWI. Or of allowing the British to finance their war at the expense of the Americans, then renege on their debts as they had done post WWI. It took him substantially political capital to replace the strict neutrality acts that had been enacted in between 1935 and 1938, with the Cash and Carry regulations that substantially favoured the British and other Allied powers. Given the dominant power of the RN, and it’s near total blockade of German maritime trade, along with Germany having little or no foreign currency. It was only Britain and France that could afford to buy from America, and had the shipping to transport their purchases away.

It wasn’t until he had secured his third term of office that he had some leeway to alter the situation, and was able to bring in the Lend Lease act. Which up until American entry into the war still required that all munitions were carried on ‘ British’ ships. Hence the restrictions on American vessels from entering into the Red Sea combat zone, while the Italians retained forces in East Africa. It was only after the Japanese attack on the 7/8 th of December and the subsequent declaration of war by the Germans and Italians on the 11th, that the gloves truly came off. These actions by the Axis Powers, gave FDR the opportunity he needed to enter into a number of agreements especially with Britain, that he wouldn’t have been able to do previously. There is no question that FDR was during 1941, pushing the Germans and Japanese as hard as he could, with everything from the neutrality patrols in the Atlantic, were American ships would report over the radio/wireless in clear, any German vessels that they sighted. And the deployment of the main US Pacific Fleet from mainland American ports to Pearl Harbour, along with the deployment of heavy long range bombers to the Philippines. And increasing shipments of munitions to China via the Burma Road. While at the same time, bringing in a series of restrictions on the Japanese, such as the ban on oil exports and other restrictions on strategic materials. Along with the introduction of various measures in regards to Japanese financial institutions. Remember at this time if Britain and America cut you off from their international financial markets, you were effectively forced to rely on shipping gold to pay for any imports you wanted.

FDR, had cleverly between 1938 and 1940 negotiated his way through the rocks and shoals of American domestic politics. Where despite continuing persecuting economic policies that were failing to relieving the ongoing depression, he was able to retain his popularity. He had a vision of himself much greater than it he was in reality, and he longed to take his place at the head of the international stage. And prior to American entry into the war, no one were looking to him for his views on world affairs, in fact he was mostly ignored. This is a man who had other than a short trip to Europe in 1918 when he was Assistant Secretary to the Navy, had never been outside of the United States, and had very little experience in international affairs. Though that only he had the true vision to lead the world into a post war utopia of rainbows and unicorns. And he was prepared to sacrifice anybody or nation in pursuit of his vision. Hence the way he betrayed the Poles to the Soviet regime, so as to achieve an agreement with Stalin on the formation of the United Nations. Despite what many conspire theorists believe, he didn’t know of the Japanese plan to attack Pearl Harbour, that failure to read the runes. Can be attributed to the incredible disfunction American intelligence agencies, and the incompetence higher levels of the American foreign service, its never a good idea to hand out Ambassador positions as rewards to your friends and potential opponents. No one with any sense would have sent Joseph Kennedy to be the Ambassador to the Court of Saint James in 1938, the position required a skilled diplomat, not an anglophobic corrupt financier, who managed to alienate the majority of the British establishment. And the failure of the various American institutions to provide the information that the President needed, was one of the reasons that both he and the American people were so shocked by outbreak of the war.

RR.

RR,

How did the US neutrality legislation apply to countries other than Germany, Britain and France? As an example, in 1936 could Greece or Finland purchased US artillery or retired US destroyers? Could they license designs to foreign manufacturers? So as example, could Browning during those years license the M1919 to Hungary or Romania? Or were all arms and ammunition exports (and design licensing) effectively illegal until 1938?

Thanks so much, Matthew.

Ramp-Rat

Monthly Donor
RR,

How did the US neutrality legislation apply to countries other than Germany, Britain and France? As an example, in 1936 could Greece or Finland purchased US artillery or retired US destroyers? Could they license designs to foreign manufacturers? So as example, could Browning during those years license the M1919 to Hungary or Romania? Or were all arms and ammunition exports (and design licensing) effectively illegal until 1938?

Thanks so much, Matthew.

Matthew, much as I would like to be able to give you a coherent answer to your question, I am just an old git that enjoys commenting on posts in alternate history, on this site. I am not an expert, I do not have a degree in history, or have an all encompassing knowledge of the history of American domestic law in regards to the various neutrality legislation during the inter war period, which was both complex, and effected by the various international treaties that America entered in to. Hence why the ABC Battleships didn’t get any substantial refits up until the outbreak of the war, as all of the major naval powers were prohibited from offering such services to any other than their own navies. As for the regulations regarding the licensing of designs to overseas manufacturers, all I can say is that Browning did license the M1919 to Vickers and BSA for use in British aircraft in 303 calibre. I am sorry to not be able to answer your question fully, I think that this is a question that could only be answered by a professional historian, in a masters paper.

Regards Mark.

RR,

How did the US neutrality legislation apply to countries other than Germany, Britain and France? <snip>
Thanks so much, Matthew.
To add to RRs reply, it might be worth searching Google Scholar or JSTORR (if you can get access) for any studies on the topic.

Failing that, maybe a good reference library could have near contemporary books or journals that might enlighten you.