Hi Ramp Rat, thank you for this, a very nice summary of the political aspect of my timeline, within the colony, something we speak little of, the focus always on the military. A consequence of these changes, and the harmony they bring is that there is no need now for Duff Cooper to be sent, see https://winstonchurchill.hillsdale.edu/alfred-duff-cooper/, for more on him. Historically, Cooper was sent to sort things out, but typical of the British mismanagement of Malaya, not given the powers to do so, although I think Cooper was very much a square peg in a round hole. Once war broke out, he was made Minister Resident, but was withdrawn mid January 1942, much to his relief.

However, this does bring up a future problem, because with the outbreak of war, and the probable forming of ABDA, I'm going to need a Minister Resident.
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resident_minister for a general understanding of this position,
and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minister-Resident_for_the_Middle_East#:~:text=The Minister-Resident for the,member of the war cabinet. the Minister Resident Middle East, which is more closer to what I will need in the Far East.
This was a powerful position, and would hold a post in Churchill's war cabinet, the inner ring, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churchill_war_ministry, and Oliver Lyttleton (who is the present minister historically). Its also worth noting that with the Allied invasion of French North West Africa, Operation Torch, another Minister Resident was appointed, the rising, talented, Harold Macmillan.

OK, so now we're all as clear as mud about what a Minister Resident is, its time to start thinking about who I might pick, yes folks, step right this way, here's your big change to have a say in my Timeline, oh you wanted to pick a tank, oh well never mind, find me a politician!
Now for a starter, sending Duff Cooper to a war zone, (we're going to assume the Minister Resident is appointed after the Japanese attack), is a non starter, Churchill wouldn't pick him. The afore mentioned Harold Macmillan, too junior, plus he did quite a bit helping De Gaulle establish himself as leader of the French, while they were in Tangiers. Harry Crookshank was the first choice for the post Macmillan took, but he turned it down, and if he's going to turn that down, he most certainly will the one in Singapore, plus again, I think he's too junior. Safe options might be Oliver Lyttleton, currently Minister Resident Middle East, or Richard Casey, who replaced him, who's currently Australia's ambassador to the US, that could be interesting. Or really interesting is using Sir Josiah Crosby, currently British Minister to Thailand, if i can get him out of there, who is quite a character to say the least!

OK, so I welcome ideas, we have plenty of time, won't happen until sometime in December, which is a considerable amount of posts away yet, but we're going to need someone.
Leo amery seems like a good fit. Very anti appeasement and very pro preparedness. Might be a bit late though as it's unlikely the post will be created until japan's intentions are bloody obvious or the invasion is already underway. Just thought I'd throw my hat into the ring.

An error here don't you mean Robert Menzies

Yes of course. I used his middle name rather than his first. Of course I could have used his nickname, conferred by his opponents, "Ming the Merciless" because of his habit of promoting any subordinates into positions of uselessness, rather than where they could potentially replace him.

Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor
In 1941 Gordon Menzies, the Australian Prime Minister traveled to the UK to take part in an Imperial Defence Conference. While there, he was courted by Churchill opponents who made him believe he had a chance to depose Churchill and become the English Prime Minister. Of course, it played to his ambitions, he'd once charactised himself as, "British to his bootstraps", to the Australian Parliament. Menzies toyed with the idea for a few months before returning to Australia only to discover his party had disentegrated in his absence and he subsequently lost a vote of no- confidence there. John Curtin replaced him after an election was called. What about an Australian becoming an English minister?
Hi Vetinari, Gordon Menzies, a Freudian slip maybe, having just seen Bennett going

It is less than 20 years since the UK had a Canadian Prime Minister (albeit he grew up in the UK).

The Empire leaders were in part of the Cabinet (That was what Menzies was doing when he was in London) so they were ministers. Becoming a full UK minister would be more difficult, the PM would probably have to be in the House of Commons, making the Prime Minister of Australia a Lord would be interesting, but after he lost the PM I can see no problem. However what benefit would the UK government have in appointing him?
Hi Mark1878, Ok you beat me there, I had to search for Bonar Law didn't know that!

Back To Robert Menzies, I'm with Mark here, its hard to see why Menzies would take such a post, I assume he would have to resign as a member of the Australian Parliment and thereby probably lose his future career in Australian Politics.

And lastly, "What about an Australian becoming an English Minister', by that I took it to read, Minister Resident, Well Oliver Lyttleton, our Minister-Resident for the Middle East, was replaced in March 1942, by Richard Casey, who was an Australian!, Now maybe he could fill the post of Minister-Resident for the Far East, instead?

Oh and lastly why are we calling the post Minister-Resident? Well I don't know this for a fact, but I know a Resident Minister is quite a junior minister, a semi ambassador like, and some of the states of Malaya, had one, to advise and guide the ruling Sultan . So to differentiate, between them and the senior role, the words are reversed.

Last edited:

Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor

vetinari

Yes of course. I used his middle name rather than his first. Of course I could have used his nickname, conferred by his opponents, "Ming the Merciless" because of his habit of promoting any subordinates into positions of uselessness, rather than where they could potentially replace him.

Hi Vetinari, I was confused about Menzies being nicknamed 'Ming the Merciless', that's the nickname given to General Leslie Morshead, commanding the troops in the siege of Tobruk. I can see why Menzies had some connection with Flash Gordon, with, as you say, his middle name being Gordon. And no doing some digging, found that apparently in Australian, Flash Gordan was renamed as Speed Gordon, as Flash was slang for showy or dishonest, see 'International Versions of the comic strip' para, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_Gordon.

Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor
Not having the required knowledge of the people involved, I will refrain from suggesting someone to assume the position and responsibility of Minister Resident. I will however make two points, the first is that other than a woman being appointed to this position, which at this time would be unthinkable. The appointment of a man from any off the British Dominions, or even a British Nationalised subject, born outside the Empire, wouldn’t be unusual. The second point is that while I have no idea on who to appoint to this position, I do know one man that I wouldn’t want to see given the job, Sir Stafford Cripps, thankfully his well known health problems mean that he would be unwilling to accept the position.

RR.
Hi Ramp-Rat, I'm not sure when he returned back to the UK from the Soviet Union in 1942, but I also think he would be unlikely to accept the role.

You question Menzies having to surrender his Australian political career to become a British Minister as I have already, he was prepared to do that if the prize was greater than what he achieved downunder. While being British PM was beyond him, becoming a British minister was not, he'd see it as a way ahead after his defeat as Australian PM perhaps. All in all, being elevated to the British cabinet would be see as a step up from Australian has-been for him, much more attractive than having to reorganise the remains of Australia's conservative elements the United Australia Party, which had effectively ceased to exist after its defeat in the 1941 election.

Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor
Did the Emperor ever say such a thing to any of his military chiefs that they were lying to him? That would constitute a direct insult almost unpardonable in Japanese society. The loss of face for General Sugiyama would be so great he'd have to resign for losing the confidence of the emperor.
Hi Belisarius II, I took the berating of Sugiyama from Wiki articles, see
The source for all three is Herbert Bix https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hirohito_and_the_Making_of_Modern_Japan

This was a private meeting, with Konoe, Sugiyama and Nagano, so I guess he was able to survive it, in a more public meeting, some officers may have quite possibly committed Hari Kari, such would have been the dishonour.

Chief of Naval General Staff Admiral Nagano, a former Navy Minister and vastly experienced, later told a trusted colleague, "I have never seen the Emperor reprimand us in such a manner, his face turning red and raising his voice."
[40] Prange, G. W., Dillon, K. V., Goldstein, D. M. (1991). At Dawn We Slept: The Untold Story of Pearl Harbor; Revised Edition. United Kingdom: Penguin Publishing Group
[41] Pike, F. (2016). Hirohito's War: The Pacific War, 1941–1945. United Kingdom: Bloomsbury Publishing

Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor
Leo amery seems like a good fit. Very anti appeasement and very pro preparedness. Might be a bit late though as it's unlikely the post will be created until japan's intentions are bloody obvious or the invasion is already underway. Just thought I'd throw my hat into the ring.
Hi jonnic123, oooh he is a good fit, I didn't think of him. Mind you, he's been Secretary of State for India and Burma since May 1940, based in Westminster, would he want to go out to Singapore now, he's 67, 68 in November 1941?

MWI 41090709 A Winner’s Breakfast

Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor
1941, Sunday 07 September;

Governor Andrew Caldecott, and his wife, Olive, were having breakfast out on the veranda, tea and toast, while reading the newspapers. In front of him was the Sunday edition of the Strait Times, turned open at the racing on page 18, with news of the Gold Cup. They had both attended yesterday, in the Presidents box, as guests of honour of the Singapore Turf Club at their Bukit Timah race course. It had been opened in 1933 by the then Governor, Sir Cecil Clementi, with its impressive grandstand, which included 2,000 teak armchairs, situated on the highlands of central Singapore, close to the Bukit Timah railway station. This was very useful, as it not only brought the paying public from Singapore City up to the race course, but also the horses from central and northern Malaya, where most of them were stabled and trained. That made sense because the other three race courses in the country were in Kuala Lumpur, Ipoh and Penang. With a full card of nine races, and the attraction of the Gold Cup, the race course had been at full capacity, with much of Singapore’s high society in attendance. The Australian trainer Hobbs had enjoyed an excellent day, saddling five winners, while jockey Dodd had ridden four of them, the fifth winner, the one he didn’t ride, Rose Quilt, had been a complete surprise to all, much to the delight of the bookies and a few lucky punters.

For the Gold Cup race, itself, the big favourite had been Mystic Music, who had won the Governor’s Cup for the last two summers, and the Gold Cup last year, Depot was expected to be the nearest rival. The field got off to a perfect start, and it was Grand Prix who led, from National, but by the back straight, Scottish Rifle was narrowly in front. On the turn, Grand Prix retook the lead, the other two beginning to fade, while Ranscombe, Pro Patria and Mystic Music, coming up the outside, came on strong. On the run into the finish line Grand Prix held on by a neck from Ranscombe, and a neck behind was Pro Patria, and then Mystic Music, who had left it all far too late. A truly thrilling finish, was what the reporter had written, and Caldecott was in agreement, the fact he’d had a little tip, and won, was the icing on the cake. The winning jockey, Thomas Farthing, was the first to win the race three times, having also won in 1936 and 1939, the owner, Mr Eddie won $5000 Straits Dollars, while the trainer, the Dutchman, Marinus van Breukelen, the biggest trainer in Malaya by far, merely re-emphasised his pre-eminence in the industry.

“I say Andrew, how about this, a young couple are going to get engaged by proxy, he’s serving out here, and his fiancé is back home in Nottingham, they say they’ll do it at the same time, toast each other, and she’ll slip his engagement ring on. How lovely, but what a shame he isn’t going to be there to give it to her personally”

The Governor closed his paper, to free a hand, and drink from his cup, “yes dear, lovely” before turning back to his paper. Olive, reading the Sunday Tribune turned her page. “Oh, that’s pleasing Andrew, they comment on how smart my new white accessories went with my Navy-Blue dress yesterday, I had so much trouble finding them”

“Yes dear, you looked lovely”

“Oh, I see the Drew’s had a farewell Gin Pahit party last Sunday, before they returned back to England, I do hope Megan doesn’t go in for that sort of thing Andrew, drinks on a Sunday morning, it’s really not the done thing”.

“Megan”?

“Megan Spooner, the new Admiral’s wife, you met them last night”.

“Oh, the singer!”

“She’s a soprano dear”

“He’s a Rear Admiral my love, the same as Rear Admiral Drew, who’s he replaced.”

“Yes dear”

“Megan told me they’ve moved into the new Admiralty house, she wants to decorate it, although she’s going to keep the jade green leather armchairs and the long walnut dining table”

“The table is built of teak, and then polished with walnut oil, which give it such a lovely look, my love”

“I wonder why the Drew’s didn’t move in there when it was finished?”

“Admiralty House is built on the Naval Base my love; I think Tommy Drew wanted to stay up at Navy House, on Woodstock Drive, away from the base.”

Caldecott turned the page, onto the general sports news, the state of Negri Sembilan had only been able to field a side for one state cricket match, and was no longer able to continue, a number of its stalwarts having left. But otherwise, the sport of cricket was thriving with teams from Australian, British and Indian military units joining the civilian teams in competitive amateur leagues.

“They’re still showing “Million Dollar Baby” at the Alhambra, I was so disappointed in that film, I don’t know what they see in that actor Ronald Reagan, he’ll never make it to the top”

“Eh, was he the lawyer, Olive dear?”

“No, the boyfriend, Andrew”

“Oh right”

The draw for the Singapore men’s table tennis open championship was out, it, along with the league championship, was dominated by the Chinese. They were also to be found in a lot of works teams in the amateur soccer leagues, which also enjoyed the presence of military teams from the Singapore garrison. Likewise, the list of game results for the amateur hockey leagues reflected the domination of Indians, teams again from both employers and military units. Sport was vibrant in the colony.

“Oh, Andrew did you know Grand Prix was an outside bet, I thought it was the favourite, no wonder you and the Sultan of Johor were so pleased with the win”.

In truth, the Sultan had made a tidy sum, thanks in no small part to the tip Caldecott had passed on, when they had enjoyed a private conversation at the back of the Presidents box, to a mutual satisfaction, the Sultan agreeing to support a political imitative Caldecott was pushing.

“Yes dear, I believed we both did quite well”

This is what I love of this TL, every thing seem to be tickety-boo and most of the people are in complete blisfull ignorance while as reader you now, although with hindsight knowledge that the hell will come down on them within 3 months.
Also all the connection with real people like the horse trainer and the actor, make this story nice to read.

vetinari

Hi Vetinari, I was confused about Menzies being nicknamed 'Ming the Merciless', that's the nickname given to General Leslie Morshead, commanding the troops in the siege of Tobruk. I can see why Menzies had some connection with Flash Gordon, with, as you say, his middle name being Gordon. And no doing some digging, found that apparently in Australian, Flash Gordan was renamed as Speed Gordon, as Flash was slang for showy or dishonest, see 'International Versions of the comic strip' para, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_Gordon.
Menzies at times was rather pedantic, insisting the correct pronunciation of Menzies was "Ming -gays"
Which according to him was the proper Scottish way. It doesn't take too much imagination to link the at times pedantic and also politically ruthless Menzies to the equally ruthless Ming the Merciless from the pre-war comic strip. I don't know when the Saturday movies serial of Flash Gordon first came out so I would expect the comic strip was the source.
I don't know exaxtly why Morshead was nicknamed Ming. perhaps it was his insistence on rigorous training, and a habit of coming down hard on those he felt were not carrying their weight.

The source for all three is Herbert Bix https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hirohito_and_the_Making_of_Modern_Japan

This was a private meeting, with Konoe, Sugiyama and Nagano, so I guess he was able to survive it, in a more public meeting, some officers may have quite possibly committed Hari Kari, such would have been the dishonour.

Chief of Naval General Staff Admiral Nagano, a former Navy Minister and vastly experienced, later told a trusted colleague, "I have never seen the Emperor reprimand us in such a manner, his face turning red and raising his voice."
[40] Prange, G. W., Dillon, K. V., Goldstein, D. M. (1991). At Dawn We Slept: The Untold Story of Pearl Harbor; Revised Edition. United Kingdom: Penguin Publishing Group
[41] Pike, F. (2016). Hirohito's War: The Pacific War, 1941–1945. United Kingdom: Bloomsbury Publishing
Over the years I've read about that Imperial Conference, where the emperor read the poem, and told them to go back to blank paper. I thought you might have found a different translation were the emperor used that language with Sugiyama. So, this was in a very private group, and not the bigger cabinet meeting we knew about before. Thanks for this new information.

Mark1878

Donor
Menzies at times was rather pedantic, insisting the correct pronunciation of Menzies was "Ming -gays"
Which according to him was the proper Scottish way. It doesn't take too much imagination to link the at times pedantic and also politically ruthless Menzies to the equally ruthless Ming the Merciless from the pre-war comic strip. I don't know when the Saturday movies serial of Flash Gordon first came out so I would expect the comic strip was the source.
I don't know exaxtly why Morshead was nicknamed Ming. perhaps it was his insistence on rigorous training, and a habit of coming down hard on those he felt were not carrying their weight.
That is not being pedantic - it is the way that Menzies is pronounced for many.

How would you like to be called by the wrong name?

the Flash Gordon films started in 1936 according to Wikipedia so I suspect is the source of the Ming the Merciless.

That is not being pedantic - it is the way that Menzies is pronounced for many.

How would you like to be called by the wrong name?

the Flash Gordon films started in 1936 according to Wikipedia so I suspect is the source of the Ming the Merciless.
To most Australians, including today's Australians, Menzies is pronounced Men-zees. You just have to listen to the newsreels of the day to hear the Men-zees, and this was from the ABC and other conservative entities. His insistence that it be pronounced otherwise was felt to be a bit of a wank. (Sorry if I offend anyone, but in Australia we have a thing called the Pub test. If the mob down the pub think you are having a lend of yourself, it is called what it is, a wank!) I do understand that many outside Australia do use the Ming-gayes pronunciation but for Australians, that was just plain wrong. Like someone with the name Cholmondeley being pronounced Chumley, or St James being pronounced Sinjin. It may be correct in certain circles but to Australians, again it was a bit of a wank.
I have taken the time to look up the Flash Gordon Movie serials since the last post and yes, the serials were produced from 1936. The comic strip dates from 1934. Ming the Merciless thus became a label for dictatorial rulers. Just look up Ming the merciless on Wikipedia. yes, I know all the claims against Wikipedia but this one is still rather accurate.
And Menzies only became PM in 1939, although he was Attorney General from 1934 until that date. So the Ming the merciless meme would have been around as a common label in the late 30's. Just waiting for someone to pin it on Pig Iron Bob!

I can't help wondering if this was post war justification of the Emperor's action/inaction

The Flash Gordon serials fiest came out in1936.

With Morshead, MUI that it was a combination of the above and the vaguely "oriental" slanting of his eyes, or at least, so they seemed to Aussies of the day.

To quote the movie The Terminator, a storm is coming. The only question is how bad is it going to be...

For one thing, I suspect it'll be a bloodbath for the Japanese, more so than in OTL, at the very least...

We're now three months away from the storm breaking...

Ramp-Rat

Monthly Donor
The resent domestic seen between the Governor and his wife, is interesting on more than one level. Here we see the typical interaction between a man and his wife, he has no real interest in the subjects that she is interested in, his mind is essentially miles away. She as a dutiful wife has taken notice of the fact that his resent win at the races has put him in a good mood. And is in a strange way trying to take advantage of the relative peace of the moment, as she a very intelligent woman, knows that there are bad times ahead. The Governor is pleased for himself for two reasons, he has managed thanks to insider information, to get one over the bookies. Note that there is a very good chance that the money won, will be spent on treats for his wife and children. And he has been able to conduct a deal with the Sultan of Jahor, who is now going to support further developments he has in train, behind the backs of others. What is also interesting to those that are attuned to the general situation in the region, is the improvement in the social situation.

And it’s not as is being reported in the press, just in regards to the sports, as teams from the military take part take part. There will have been thanks to the increased military presence, a greater demand for entertainment, both civilian and military. The military authorities will have been organising shows and concert parties, as they try to keep the men amused, and reduce the demands on the local facilities. Large numbers of bored troops, hitting the limited recreational facilities, are a recipe for disaster, and will as they have result in problems for both the Military and Civilian Police. Far better to provide suitable divisions in the form of sports and entertainment, than deal with the problem of too many men and not enough bars and dives, and the subsequent violence that will ensue. Large numbers of increasingly fit young men, need a safe way to blow off steam. And while the paper is only reporting on a limited number of sports so far, I would expect that football both association and rugby, along with boxing matches will soon become more reported. While the Navy will be organising inter ship rowing events, and sailing for the officers, along with tennis and the Navies favourite, whole crew tug of war.

While all this is happening in the British colonies, as they prepare for the inevitable clash with Japan. In Japan the government is slowly despite the best efforts of the Emperor, who along with some of his family, has a far better appreciation of the world outside Japan. Progressing towards a conflict with America and the British Empire/Commonwealth, in the sad delusion that these two powers will give up the conflict and accept their fate. This belief is based on the assumption that lacking the Bushido spirit, the Americans and the British do not have the stomach for a protracted and costly conflict. This ignores the lessons of history, in that the only time that Britain and America have walked away from a conflict, without achieving their aims completely, is when they fought each other. During the American revolution, Britain accepted a peace only when the French proved support to the rebels, while she was far more fearful of the French in Europe, and only after securing the independence of Canada. In the same way during the war of 1812, the Americans failed to ‘liberate’ Canada, who despite American beliefs had no desire to be ‘liberated’. And Britain didn’t regain control of the United States, which was never a serious war aim of the British. And the subsequent Monroe Doctrine, was only enforceable up until the late 1800’s, with cooperation from the British.

Japan is in its own eyes a major power among the First Rate nations of the world, while in reality it was a major regional power, and only Second Rate at best. Unlike Britain or the United States, it had no ability to project its power outside of its own region. It is a present involved in a war it cannot win, unless the British and United States, remove all support for the Chinese. It lacks the access to the vital resources it needs to prosecute its war in China, and is reliant on the British and the United States for these. Ether Britain or the United States, could if they had no other commitments have defeated Japan on their own. And even with the strain that Britain is under right now, it can more than hold its own, while once America becomes involved, it’s just a question of time before Japan is defeated. Remember even IOTL, it wasn’t until the defeat of Germany that Britain and America turned the full force of their military against the Japanese. And ITTL, providing the Malaya and Singapore hold, and the Japanese do not achieve a major success in the DEI. The only thing that the Japanese will have achieved is to Royally piss of the Anglo Americans, and fail to gain access to the resources they desperately need. While for the British, without the failure of their defence of Malaya and Singapore, and the subsequent loss of Burma, along with the DEI region. And the loss of Face’ that this involved, they will be in a much stronger position than they were IOTL, and while they will want to keep the conflict at a low level, while the deal with events in the Mediterranean. They will be able to make life very uncomfortable for the Japanese, until they along side the Americans are ready to take the war to the Japanese.

RR.