Driftless

Donor
1941, Thursday 01 May;

Third Officer (Telegraphist) James walked down the gangway onto the Keppel Harbour dockside, a small suitcase in hand. She turned around and watched the seven other Wrens, all in their late teens or early twenties, follow her down the gangway of the passenger/cargo ship. Wolf whistles alerted them to the interests of the many sailors around the dockside. Her best friend Joan walked up to her, a big smile on her face “Singapore, Peggy, we’re here. Oh, I’m so excited, where do you think they’ll put us, do you think we’ll be allowed out tonight, I wonder where Raffles is?”

“Third Officer James and party? Good morning, ladies, welcome to Singapore” an elderly Lieutenant RNR saluted them, “if you’d like to come this way, we have transportation laid on, your baggage will be collected later”. A small rain shower had finished a while ago and the blazing sun was steaming off the puddled water. The Lieutenant carefully led the party away, avoiding a particularly large puddle, wolf whistles still calling out.

They sat in the back of a small truck, the tarpaulin sides rolled up, watching the views along the busy Singapore streets, and then out into the countryside, with its rich green tapestry. Peggy looked over to Joan, sitting opposite, “doesn’t look like Raffles for us Joan, how much further do you think” Joan was melting in the heat “Don’t know, but what wouldn’t I give for a nice bath and trying a large one of those Singapore Sling’s I’ve heard about” They both laughed.

Peggy had met Joan Seymour at the training centre in Greenwich where they had both passed an interview to be taken on a course of Wireless Telegraphy. The course was shrouded in secret, and it had been pressed on them, as to the importance of their work and the need for secrecy. This had become apparent when they were told they were learning Japanese Morse Code and transcriptions. That friendship had been cemented sharing a cabin over the 12-week voyage in convoy WS.6 from the UK.

After an hour’s driving the truck slowed and turned left through the metal gates and past the guardhouse, the sentry recognising the Lieutenant sitting in the front. It pulled up outside one of a number of wooden huts. Having climbed out of the back of the truck, Peggy looked around. The tall metal framed tower looked massive from where she stood, and further away other aerials were to be seen. “This way ladies, I’ll show you your quarters” the lieutenant indicated the way. “And welcome to Royal Naval Station Kranji”

Kranji was the Far East Combined Bureau’s (FECB) intercept station, where they listened into Japanese radio traffic, noting down the coded signals. It had been moved from Hong Kong in August 1939 after the Japanese capture of Canton placing them far too close to such a sensitive installation. Kranji was far enough away from any other military installations and Singapore city, avoiding radio interference, so that reception was good. Nevertheless, because of their distance, only at night, signals could be received from the Combined Fleet in Japanese home waters.

In part because of this, information was regularly shared both ways with the US Navy station CAST at Corregidor in the Philippines, who was also doing the same. FECB had supplied the latest JN 25 Book with indicators and subtractor tables, while the Americans had added a Japanese merchant ship code (JN-39), an IJN personnel code and call sign data.

The other part of FECB, the decryption coding teams, was housed in the Singapore Naval Base. They were mainly focused on working on breaking the IJN codes, JN-4, a general contact code used by dockyards, that had already been broken, JN-11, the IJN fleet auxiliary code, JN-40, the merchant shipping code replacing the broken JN-39 and the big prize, the general naval code JN-25, which they were able to read about 10% of, giving occasional glimpses of what was happening.

The decryption of the codes had been progressing well until the Japanese had introduced a new variant, JN 25B last December, which had set things back somewhat, but they were beginning to understanding the structure of the code, as well as IJN communications practice, and furthermore, this had been aided recently by the Dutch agreeing to share their intercepts from the SIGNIT unit, Kramer 14, based at Bandung in Java.

Peggy, Joan and the other new arrivals would enjoy a few wonderful days of leisure, being introduced to the sights and sounds of Singapore by their new work colleagues, but come Monday they would be introduced to an altogether different world of secrecy, codes and numbers, they efforts in noting these down helping the decoders into gradually finding pieces of a jigsaw puzzle, hoping one day they would see the entire picture.

Not quite Bletchly Park, but close enough for Singapore?

From the United States, point of view. I've been a bit of a fan of the Commander of the U.S. Asiatic Fleet, Thomas Hart. Hart knew that the USN would not have a real advantage until fall 1942.
From 1936 until 1939 Hart was a member, then President of the USN General Board. This board gave us the designs of the ships that created the USN that won the war. Benson and Fletcher Class Destroyers; Cleveland and Atlanta Class CLs Baltimore Class CAs, Alaska Class Very Heavy Cruisers; North Carolina, South Dakota, and Iowa Class Battleships; Essex Class CVs; as well as the fleet train. What this Board did was put together the packages that became the the 1938 Navy act, and the 1940 Two Ocean Navy Act. Hart knew that New Destroyers and Cruisers, were going to the Atlantic, and that the 1st group of the fleet train, the Oilers would not be available until summer 1942.

I was thinking of the Australians serving in any assigned Sarawak relief force. They are separate nationals from the British. So the American Congress may not act so aggrieved.
There is now the stated intention for the entire 23rd Bde 8 AUS Division redeploying into Malaya now. There may be an availability to rotate the battalions through a training regimen. Sorta like an earlier version of Operation Oboe? Just not on that scale.

Are they separate nationals in any meaningful sense at this point?

Definitely. Since 1901 Australia has been a self-governing domion, which is effectively a completely separate entity to the United Kingdom.
*cough* Australia became “independent” sometime around 1984 or later when the act and the closure of the last Lords appeals route happened in IIRC Queensland.

Australia can never be independent in a capital society due to its relatively capitalisation.

In 1939 Australia became independent…when it ratified the Westminster statute in 1942 as of 1939…

So Australia isn’t really independent. But Australian Labor hasn’t pass Westminster yet. But yanks probably don’t care about that, they care that they’re not English. Yes I know Britain isn’t England. We’re talking the US policy establishments mentality in 1940, not whether Australia’s economy is dependent upon international finance capital or whether the UK banks can dismiss a State Premier.

Definitely. Since 1901 Australia has been a self-governing domion, which is effectively a completely separate entity to the United Kingdom.

I'm not convinced that Australia or NZ would of the time would meet any modern test of separate nationality at the time. But that's distinct from Australia being considered as a separate place by a foreign government for their own legislation.

I'd sort of assumed that till midwar at least the Yanks would categorise everyone but Canada as basically British for war making purposes. Which is not the same point as independence, which I thinks a red herring for ANZ purposes anyway (who cares that there isn't a specific agreed date either became independent), when it's Responsible Government and independence of foreign affairs that counts in a war situation.

Am I missing something?
At this point the problem isn't the politics of lend-lease, but availability of American arms. Europe had top-priority, followed by Africa, then the Soviets and the crumbs were for the Far East. See also the back-log of DEI orders.
In truth, I don't really know, other than the Dutch/Indo population was a very small percentage, and they were key to it all. perhaps Parma or HJ Tulp can tell more, our resident Dutch East Indies experts. (I'm bigging you up guys ;)
Well the yearly intake of conscripts in the DEI after general mobilization is going to be very small. A lot of Indo's will not be conscripted at all if there were to Indonesian. Also consider the fact that the Dutch population was used to keep the administration and economy running so a large percentage will have gotten draft referrals. There were proposals to start drafting Chinese but the administration was afraid for the racial tensions that might cause. In the end there was an attempt to conscript natives but without an agreement with the nationalists the intake was abmysal.

The Dutch were very much scrapping the bottom of the barrel of manpower with the war in Europe also demanding personel.
The sitch I'm seeing with the Dutch is the tyranny of space. They've got too much to defend with so little. So they've got hard choices to make and can Admiral Helfrich bury his natural aggression and make them?
Dutch doctrine was to hit fast and often with light cruisers. Helfrich was the standard bearer of that doctrine.
Oh, and evacuate the Dutch, Allied, and Colonial soldier's civilians so that they're not distracted onece the balloon goes up and not wait until its too late?
Politically impossible. Also, for these people the Indies were their home. Where would the go? Besides the Japanese are never going to get near Java. Right?

I was refering to land and air resources, the naval doctrine actually makes sense considering.

As for the civilians...noble sentiment, but ask the the folks in Shanghai and Nanking how that worked out for them. You can go back home once the war's over. Until then, you send the noncombatants and dependents to Australia, India, Kenya, anywhere you can where the Japanese can't rape and mutilate your daughters, mothers, wives, and sisters and behead and bayonet them and everyone else right down to the babies. Worrying about that shit tends to distract one...

*cough* Australia became “independent” sometime around 1984 or later when the act and the closure of the last Lords appeals route happened in IIRC Queensland.

Australia can never be independent in a capital society due to its relatively capitalisation.

In 1939 Australia became independent…when it ratified the Westminster statute in 1942 as of 1939…

So Australia isn’t really independent. But Australian Labor hasn’t pass Westminster yet. But yanks probably don’t care about that, they care that they’re not English. Yes I know Britain isn’t England. We’re talking the US policy establishments mentality in 1940, not whether Australia’s economy is dependent upon international finance capital or whether the UK banks can dismiss a State Premier.
The Australian Parliament in response to the British response to it independently declaring war on Japan, superate to the UK. The Australian Parliament, under Labor sought to establish itself as a seperate entity to the UK. They also at the same time declared war on Hungary, Italy and Vichy France. Before this the Liberals had assumed that once the UK had declared war, so had the Commonwealth. It was only with the election of Labor that independent thought came to the fore, which resulted in the passing of the Statute of Westminster. It took until 1986 to remove the last remnants such as being able to appeal to the House of Lords in court cases. Essentially Australia though was by-and-large an independent entity from 1901 when Federation occurred.

I'm not convinced that Australia or NZ would of the time would meet any modern test of separate nationality at the time. But that's distinct from Australia being considered as a separate place by a foreign government for their own legislation.

I'd sort of assumed that till midwar at least the Yanks would categorise everyone but Canada as basically British for war making purposes. Which is not the same point as independence, which I thinks a red herring for ANZ purposes anyway (who cares that there isn't a specific agreed date either became independent), when it's Responsible Government and independence of foreign affairs that counts in a war situation.
The Americans are woefully ignorant about foreign cultures and legalities. Australia became independent when it became a self-governing dominion, when it became a Federated entity when the separate colonies were joined into a singular state. It was recognised as such by nearly all other civilised countries, apart from Washington it would seem. Which is why the ANZAC Pact occurred in response to the declaration of the Cairo Conference where Australia and New Zealand were ignored and the UK and US made declarations in their name. The ANZAC Pact was the first steps by Australia on the international stage and had considerable repercussions in it's relations with the UK and the US and indirectly led to us being sidelined by Washington in the fight with Japan.

By comparison for New Zealand there literally is no accepted date for independence. By this I mean among historians, government experts or constitutional lawyers. But it is irrelevant to New Zealand that there's no one date.

MWI 41050218 Nibbling Away At The Defences

Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor
1941, Friday 02 May;

The five members of the Guastatori crawled slowly up the slopes of the rocky, broken ground that was the small hill, Ras el Medauar. Their clever use of low ground shielded them from their objective, a pre-war built Italian blockhouse, now in use by the Australian defenders of Tobruk. Two stopped, about 15 metres away from a corner of the target, while the other three continued, their trail crossing the front of the blockhouse.

But despite their stealth, the Aussies knew they were approaching on that route, a couple of dead Bersaglieri of the 8th Regt, marked a previous attempt. And again, the tell-tale puffs of dust caused by the men gave warning. An Aussie slid out of a rear door and came around the blockhouse, grenades tight in hands, pins pulled. He leant back, his right arm extended, and threw a grenade at the dust in front of the blockhouse, his accuracy unerring, it exploded just behind the three Italians. One died, his body shielding the satchel charges he carried, and badly wounded the other two. One of them, Emilio Caizzio, gathered the satchel charges, pulling the fuse, and began a bent over jinking run towards the blockhouse.

Meanwhile the Aussie had just seen the ignition flame light up, of a mod 40 flamethrower, carried by the two-man party, and a second grenade flew in their direction, exploding to their right. It tore into the cylinders carried on the back of one, and ignited the fuel, the flames engulfing both, who stood up, desperately trying to beat off the fires before they penetrated the anti-flame suits. The Vickers machine gun, firing from the blockhouse gun slits, quickly mowed them both down, undoubtedly saving them from a far worse death.

But it gave Caizzio the time he needed, the exploding fuel tanks, the stuttering reply of the Vickers, gave wings to his feet, and he crossed the dead ground with great speed, before the gunners could traverse the machine gun, and kill him. Making the walls of the blockhouse, out of sight of the gunners, he took one last breath before throwing himself against the firing slit, the satchel charges between him and the fortification. Great cries of consternation rose from the Australians inside, but a mere second later, the charges blew, tearing open the front of the blockhouse, killing or incapacitating all inside. Forty metres away a dozen Bersaglieri rose, and charged forward, bayonets drawn, quickly taking the damaged blockhouse, and with it, final control of Ras el Maedauar, the sole surviving Australian fleeing to report on its loss.

As it had begun, a day ago, the fighting continued around the area, German attacks either side of the hill meeting with mixed results, losing a number of tanks to newly laid minefields, anti-tank guns and a few British tanks. An Australian counter attack the following night also failed, leaving the Axis having overrun the perimeter defences on a three-mile front, penetrating as far as two miles, and most importantly capturing the high ground of Ras el Maedauar, allowing the establishment of observation posts, and a jumping off point for further attacks.

Failing to take Tobruk quickly a month ago, the Axis forces had resorted to laying siege, while building up their forces both around it, and eastwards. Now they were engaged in a logistical race, supplies coming from Italy to Tripoli and then by truck 930 miles along the Via Balbia coastal road, while the British, had been able to ship in over 5,000 tons via the harbour, on night convoys along the coast from Egypt, maintaining a reinforced 9th Australian Division, which had been busy laying wire and mine fields, as well as digging more defensive positions. The Axis forces were in a game of nibbling away at the defences, in an effort to create a tactical advantage from which they could launch that all important attack that would capture Tobruk. The gains, although small, were becoming significant, but for now, the Australians were still hanging on.

You might want to subset the Americans.

U.S. Military
Adm. Hart: "Anytime soon";
Gen. Grunert: "I pray that it's after I'm outta here" ;
Col Willoughby: "General MacArthur, I assure you that once you call the Philippine Army into service the Japanese will slink away;"
Gen. MacArthur: "As always Charles, you can read my mind. Any interest in leaving Logistics for Intelligence work?"
Gen. Marshall: "I hope that they jump off before Gen. Arnold forces me to put anything more into that pit";

U.S. Civilian
FDR: "I can coax the Japanese along for as long as I like. My cousin is remembered very fondly for his 1905 Treaty."
Disagree about Hart and FDR. Both knew they were buying time until the first if the 1938 ships started arriving, the Atlantas, Bensons and Clevelands, Wasp and Hornet, and the oilers. FDR knew that once the embargoes hit it was a matter of months, a year at most a year before the Japanese moved South.

Hart in late 1940 and early 1941, sent home all American Navy and Marine Dependents, and instructed those personnel with local families to make arrangements for their safety.

Disagree about Hart and FDR. Both knew they were buying time until the first if the 1938 ships started arriving, the Atlantas, Bensons and Clevelands, Wasp and Hornet, and the oilers. FDR knew that once the embargoes hit it was a matter of months, a year at most a year before the Japanese moved South.

Hart in late 1940 and early 1941, sent home all American Navy and Marine Dependents, and instructed those personnel with local families to make arrangements for their safety.
Yeup. Hart was one of the smart ones on that. He had no illusions about how the Japanese would treat Western enemy national civilians, as well as understanding how the dependents of his men being in the inevitable line of fire would be a distraction and blow to morale. So best get them out of the way if at all possible. Not all did, of course, but he made a solid effort and save a lot of lives.

Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor

Hi Butchpfd, thank you for this. I have a number of stories written regarding FDR and the Japanese diplomatic moves pre Dec 41, I can follow how the Japanese thinking evolved going forward to war, but despite a lot of factual material written on the web, I'm struggling with FDR's viewpoint on all this.

Being British, my knowledge on WW2 centre round the British narratives of Dunkirk and the Blitzkrieg, the Battle of Britain, North Africa, and the many calamities suffered, before success, the U-boat war, invasions of Italy and France onto final victory in Europe. I have a fascination with the fall of Singapore, but my American take on things is poor.

So my question to Butchpfd, and all you other American readers is this
I have a quite bombastic MacArthur view on defence of the Philippines, a very pragmatic Adm Hart, doing the best anyone could, and a USN that has reluctantly been persuaded to base its Pacific fleet at Hawaii. If FDR appreciated war might happen, and that America wasn't ready, why did he take such a forceful approach to dealing with Japan.

This article sets out the dangers of the economic embargo in far better detail, although I don't agree with the thought that FDR wanted to goad Japan into war

Edited to more clearly frame my question

Last edited:
So my question to Butchpfd, and all you other American readers is this
I have a quite bombastic MacArthur view on defence of the Philippines, a very pragmatic Adm Hart, doing the best anyone could, and a USN that has reluctantly been persuaded to base its Pacific fleet at Hawaii. If FDR appreciated war might happen, and that America wasn't ready, why did he take such a forceful approach to dealing with Japan.

This article sets out the dangers of the economic embargo in far better detail, although I don't agree with the thought that FDR wanted to goad Japan into war

Edited to more clearly frame my question
From a brief read-through, that article can be politely described as neo-isolationist tosh. The author doesn't quite come out and say that the US was wrong to oppose the Nazis, but the whole thread is "conspiracy by the evil Roosevelt administration to drag the peace-loving American people into an unjustified foreign war" - up to and including the long-debunked myth that Roosevelt knew about the Pearl Harbor attack in advance and chose to let thousands of Americans die because evil conspiracy. I have to admit, though that the "Roosevelt conspired to force Japan to attack the US so he'd have an excuse to declare war on Germany" is a new one on me.

I'd take any claims made by the author with about a Pacific Ocean's worth of salt.

Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor
From a brief read-through, that article can be politely described as neo-isolationist tosh. The author doesn't quite come out and say that the US was wrong to oppose the Nazis, but the whole thread is "conspiracy by the evil Roosevelt administration to drag the peace-loving American people into an unjustified foreign war" - up to and including the long-debunked myth that Roosevelt knew about the Pearl Harbor attack in advance and chose to let thousands of Americans die because evil conspiracy. I have to admit, though that the "Roosevelt conspired to force Japan to attack the US so he'd have an excuse to declare war on Germany" is a new one on me.

I'd take any claims made by the author with about a Pacific Ocean's worth of salt.
Hi Merrick, apologies, I wasn't referring to the part in the article regarding Germany, it was more about how japan was being economically throttled, but the US wasn't ready for a war with them. Could he have delayed the embargo, traded oil for time, and in 12 months time say, imposed the restrictions, with a much better US military on call?

Seconded, the more I read it the more my eyebrows went upwards.