Flashman wasn't just about the wars, but political skullduggery, spying, romance, the upper class/royalty, and blatant racism too.

I could see a modern Flashman descendant possibly involved with the Troubles/Brighton Hotel Bombing/Hyde Park Bombing. Perhaps a little too far back, but the the Profumo Affair. Either Prince Charles or Princess Diana's (or both) affairs. Or Prince Andrew's involvement with Epstein. It would be frightfully entertaining if a descendant of Flashy's Russian nemesis Count Ignatiev becomes an Oligarch, moves to Londongrad, and becomes entangled in a plot with the modern Flash.

The possibilities are endless.

And apologies for contributing to the hijack of a very interesting story.

A Canadian AMC/Trooper in Singapore could, in the right circumstances, land a Canadian battalion behind the Japanese advance and cut them off.

I'd thought the torpedo sat Cavite were mostly or all the older Mk10 type with older detonators. The sub fleet in PI were mostly or all older S class boats.
The 200 Cavite Torpedoes were MK Xs, for the S Boats, but the MKXIVs were on the Fleet boats and the Asiatic Fleet Tenders that serviced them. while the tenders had MK Xs there were fewer then the MK XIVs . The sub force of the Asiatic fleet on 7 December 1941, as 4 S Boats and 23 Of various classes of Fleet boats. In addition Mac Arthur as Supreme Command US Forces in Asia as able to hamstring Adm. Hart CiC Asiatic Flt. 's air and submarine recon. toward Taiwan and refused to allow mining of the probable invasion beaches on NW Luzon

Does anyone know what reinforcements (if any) RN sent to Singapore IOTL, in the period before the start of the Pacific war? A longshot by all means, considering the priority Atlantic and the Med (and the RN losses there) were, but could anything be found, or is the barrel well and truly scrapped?

While rereading the TL, I have found mentions that RN/FAA was planning to set up a FAA Training Wing in Malaya.ITTL it is set up to serve to train replacements for Eastern Med Squadrons, to support HMS Hermes and to support RAF as well. Has there been any progress with that plan? It may not be much, but even Fulmars and Swordfishes would be Godsent, considering just how weak CW forces are.

Though, can some armour be scared up from somewhere, anywhere? Some Cruiser MkIVs ended up on Cyprus in '42 I think, so that is a possibility, along with other odds and ends that could be dug up, be they various Marks of Vickers Lights, Matilda Is or any other survivors of prewar tanks. 7th Arm. Brigade was reequipped with M3 Stuarts in November(?) '41, maybe some shuffling around could allow for tanks to be delivered to Malaya directely from USA?
Also, Valentine tanks could be an option, Mk.Is and IIs are availlable in some numbers, and while NA is sure to have highest priority, maybe some shuffling around could be done? If these tanks arrive earlier to NA, then maybe this could free up some older tank models for Malaya.

Lastly, can anything be sourced closer to Malaya, from India, Australia or even South Africa, in this time period? I know Australia did wonders WRT military production considering all factors, but does anyone have any info on India and South Africa?

South Africa - Marmon-Herrington armoured car, although good luck prizing any away from north africa. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marmon-Herrington_Armoured_Car

India - India pattern carrier, also good luck with getting some to Malaya. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armoured_Carrier_Wheeled_Indian_Pattern

Australia - Rhino heavy armoured car (OTL prototype only, in '42, and overweight) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhino_Heavy_Armoured_Car

Canada did make the Fox armoured car on the same "CMP" chassis as the Rhino. Don't know when that started, but could possibly be made in Australia as well as Canada, as a point of departure? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_Armoured_Car
The Fox was used post war in Angola, Mozambique, and the dutch east indies, so presumably would have been suitable for the terrain & climate in Malaya.
Only MG armed, and 15mm armour, but better than nothing. Suitable for shifting roadblocks, for example.

Does anyone know what reinforcements (if any) RN sent to Singapore IOTL, in the period before the start of the Pacific war? A longshot by all means, considering the priority Atlantic and the Med (and the RN losses there) were, but could anything be found, or is the barrel well and truly scrapped?

While rereading the TL, I have found mentions that RN/FAA was planning to set up a FAA Training Wing in Malaya.ITTL it is set up to serve to train replacements for Eastern Med Squadrons, to support HMS Hermes and to support RAF as well. Has there been any progress with that plan? It may not be much, but even Fulmars and Swordfishes would be Godsent, considering just how weak CW forces are.

Though, can some armour be scared up from somewhere, anywhere? Some Cruiser MkIVs ended up on Cyprus in '42 I think, so that is a possibility, along with other odds and ends that could be dug up, be they various Marks of Vickers Lights, Matilda Is or any other survivors of prewar tanks. 7th Arm. Brigade was reequipped with M3 Stuarts in November(?) '41, maybe some shuffling around could allow for tanks to be delivered to Malaya directely from USA?
Also, Valentine tanks could be an option, Mk.Is and IIs are availlable in some numbers, and while NA is sure to have highest priority, maybe some shuffling around could be done? If these tanks arrive earlier to NA, then maybe this could free up some older tank models for Malaya.

Lastly, can anything be sourced closer to Malaya, from India, Australia or even South Africa, in this time period? I know Australia did wonders WRT military production considering all factors, but does anyone have any info on India and South Africa?

Lets see:
HMS Exeter was suppose to arrived December 10, 1941 in the afternoon
HMS Mauritius was at Singapore in need of repairs
HMS Glasgow was suppose to be in repairs at Singapore but was short of manpower to repair her
HMS Isis (DD) needed repairs
HMS Encounter (DD) arrived with Force Z but same as Glasgow and Mauritius short of manpower to repair
HMS Jupiter (DD) same as HMS Encounter
HMAS Vendetta (DD) needed repairs

Maybe HMAS Sydney if she wasn,t sunk by Kormoran
HMNZS Achilles was order to Singapore
Light Cruisers De Ruyter and Java order to Singapore

Destroyer Division 57 (USN) four destroyers (Whipple, Alden, Edsall, John D. Edwards)

For now thats the list of all naval ships

If the naval yard had the manpowers and tool up to date all those ships would have been ready. One cruiser very interested was HMS Liverpool. She was to get repair at SIngapore but there was a shortest of manpower so she went to San Franscisco

Last edited:
Lets see:
HMS Exeter was suppose to arrived December 10, 1941 in the afternoon
HMS Mauritius was at Singapore in need of repairs
HMS Glasgow was suppose to be in repairs at Singapore but was short of manpower to repair her
HMS Isis (DD) needed repairs
HMS Encounter (DD) arrived with Force Z but same as Glasgow and Mauritius short of manpower to repair
HMS Jupiter (DD) same as HMS Encounter
HMAS Vendetta (DD) needed repairs

Maybe HMAS Sydney if she wasn,t sunk by Kormoran
HMNZS Achilles was order to Singapore
Light Cruisers De Ruyter and Java order to Singapore

Destroyer Division 57 (USN) four destroyers (Whipple, Alden, Edsall, John D. Edwards)

For now thats the list of all naval ships

If the naval yard had the manpowers and tool up to date all those ships would have been ready. One cruiser very interested was HMS Liverpool. She was to get repair at SIngapore but there was a shortest of manpower so she went to San Franscisco
Re: Repair Manpower; The USN Destroyer Tender Black Hawk was with the American Destroyers. It had the capacity to service 8 to 12 destroyers, so there would have been additional manpower and workshops. While parts would have been different there would be trained experienced personnel. The 4 RN destroyers would have still been in the Bla k Hawk's service capacity. The Asiatic Fleet's biggest value was its Pool of trained and experienced personnel. Using Black Hawk's crew to help service the RN DDs imo, would have helped.

Last edited:
Re: Repair Manpower; The USN Destroyer Tender Black Hawk was with the American Destroyers. It had the capacity to service 8 to 12 destroyers, so there would have been additional manpower and workshops. While parts would have been different there would be trained experienced personnel. The 4 RN destroyers would have still been in the Bla k Hawk's service capacity. The Asiatic Fleet's biggest value was its Pool of trained and experienced personnel. Using Black Hawk's crew to help service the RN DDs imo, would have helped.
@Butchpfd
yes you are right but remember the United States didn't send help before December 7, 1941. Now if USS Black Hawk was sent in September as well as the Dewey floating drydock and had closed down Mariveles, move any personal that can help out at Singapore Naval Yard. Plus Americans were good at welding and fixing warships.

@Butchpfd
yes you are right but remember the United States didn't send help before December 7, 1941. Now if USS Black Hawk was sent in September as well as the Dewey floating drydock and had closed down Mariveles, move any personal that can help out at Singapore Naval Yard. Plus Americans were good at welding and fixing warships.
A couple of corrections, S boatsS-36 and 39, were on I shore patrol off Northern Luzon beginning the week prior to 8 December. Note; the Black Hawk's max speed at this time was 12kts
The AD Black Hawk with Destroyer Division 57, were at Balikpapan Borneo, refueling, enroute to Singapore. Fulfilling an agreement by ADMS.Phillips and Hart, made after Phillips arrival at Singapore.

Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor
Ok, just a little tidy up
AMC Cruisers F89, HMCS Prince David and F70, HMCS Prince Henry would be joining the fleet soon, along with the already completed F56, HMCS Prince Robert.
Only HMCS Prince David and HMCS Prince Henry have been adapted, HMCS Prince Robert remains as historically was.

While not directly germane to this region, Im a bit curious about the bunker fuel storage at Wellington NZ ? Or Brisbane & other Australian ports.
Nice question Carl, I don't know but if anyone can chip in here, their welcome, it might come in handy somewhere down the line

MWI 40122716 Taking The Test

Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor
1940, Friday 27 December;

Sepoy Bachittar Singh, of the 1/8 Punjab Regt, was nervous, he hadn’t slept last night with worry of what today would bring. The marching and parading didn’t worry him, and he enjoyed working with the weapons, the rifle and bayonet, the light machine gun, the grenade. The physical effort had been tough at the beginning, but he was hardened to it now, proud of how fit he was, how strong. And the new lands he had seen since leaving the village, less than a year ago, the new experiences, such things to tell when he was older, had help shaped him into a man now, no longer the boy.

But this really worried him. His Havildar was convinced he’d be fine, his company commander positively assuring him, and even Sahib Bates seemed to expect it. He felt dread he would let them down, he would fall flat on his face, the fool, simpleton of the battalion. “Sepoy Singh, Bachittar”, the calling of his name broke his thoughts, they were ready for him. He stood straight, gathered his thoughts and marched into the room.

The first day passed slowly, almost agonisingly, but he gradually began to feel better, more confident. He slept well that night, although he still awoke early, and again had a worrying couple of hours, but once called into the room again, the second day flew by.

Late afternoon, he walked out of the room, stood there with the paper in his hand, and looked at it again. The words smiled up at him, Indian Army, Certificate of Education – English, second class. He’d done it, done so well that the examining officer had just told him to apply for the First-Class Examination, the next one being run in three months’ time and with a bit more work, he could pass that too. The officer had even told him what the exam was, writing an essay on a subject he would know a lot about over two hours, an hour of written answers to questions on a set passage, reading and a following discussion on a narrative, and finally a discussion on a topic, again on something he’d know about.

He was on top of the world. He could hope for a promotion to Naik now, the battalion was short of NCO’s. He could even earn a little money by providing some tutoring himself to the British ECO’s that continually arrived in dribbles, who were desperate to learn Urdu, the Lingua Franca of the Indian Army. They were given a mere 3 months to pass the elementary Urdu qualification, the learning of which was incrementally financially beneficial to them, as they progressed with learning the language and just as importantly the customs, traditions and faith of the men they would command. And if they didn’t pass the elementary, they went on report. Yes, thought Bachittar, volunteering for this man’s army was undoubtedly the best thing he’d ever done.

As the author is not actually Harry Turtledove this is not a certainty?
I agree. Now if he had written home to his fiancee about how the extra money meant they would soon be getting married and outlining his plans for their happy future together, then he would certainly be doomed. ;)

Nice question Carl, I don't know but if anyone can chip in here, their welcome, it might come in handy somewhere down the line

The reason I asked is at some point I found Wellington was regarded by the USN as their primary S Pac base. Unlike New Caledonia Wellington had some industry capable of servicing ships. ie: When the LVT1 were reconditioned as assault vehicles from their transport configuration the Navy found the 1/2" steel plate available in Wellington, and fabrication shops that could cut and fit it, and fabricate the brakes for MG mounts. The emergency repairs that kept the Enterprise in theatre at the end of 1942 were done in New Zeeland.

My perception is that the Japanese seized people's bicycles and many Japanese soldiers rode the bicycles to the front lines at Singapore.

The question that I have, is my perception correct? Also what did the British do to slow down the Japanese in the original timeline and what should they do in this timeline to slow down the Japanese. In my opinion, the longer it takes for the Japanese to get to Singapore the better prepared Singapore will be.

Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor
The reason I asked is at some point I found Wellington was regarded by the USN as their primary S Pac base. Unlike New Caledonia Wellington had some industry capable of servicing ships. ie: When the LVT1 were reconditioned as assault vehicles from their transport configuration the Navy found the 1/2" steel plate available in Wellington, and fabrication shops that could cut and fit it, and fabricate the brakes for MG mounts. The emergency repairs that kept the Enterprise in theatre at the end of 1942 were done in New Zeeland.
I'll be honest Carl, I'm fairly ignorant of the details of the US defending the Philippines, and the following operations in the south west Pacific, but I know I'm going to learn a lot more as I write this timeline, I can't very well ignore this theatre, being as it has significant bearings on Malaya/Singapore. I would have been surprised to hear that New Caledonia, or Fiji which I'd consider a comparable island, would have any serious industrial capability. Was Brisbane or Sydney not preferable to Wellington?

Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor
My perception is that the Japanese seized people's bicycles and many Japanese soldiers rode the bicycles to the front lines at Singapore.
The infantry units of both the 5th and 18th infantry divisions were equipped with bicycles, according to Col Masanobu Tsuji, in his book, Japan’s Greatest Victory, Britain’s Worst Defeat. He also added that thanks to pre Dec41 Japanese export efforts, there were a lot of cheap Japanese and spares available in both Malaya and Thailand which were used to help maintain this bikes.

The question that I have, is my perception correct? Also what did the British do to slow down the Japanese in the original timeline and what should they do in this timeline to slow down the Japanese. In my opinion, the longer it takes for the Japanese to get to Singapore the better prepared Singapore will be.
Historically the British blew up a lot of bridges, in the mistaken belief this would considerably slow the Japanese Army's advance. Most rivers were quite narrow, abet fast running, and the Japanese engineer contingent attached to the Japanese 25th Army was superb, quickly providing temporary repairs, and added by the lightness of the Japanese formations, which weren't bogged down with lots of motor transport, could relatively quickly, cross and continue the advance. Another major problem for the British was the Japanese frequently operated within the British decision making time frame, not allowing the British time to reset.

With regards to what will be different, without giving too much away, I'll refer you to how sports teams operate. Frequently a team is getting well beat, but after halftime, with a number of relatively minor tactical adjustments, a manager can see a completely different team performance in the second half. Some minor changes I make, should, collectively, bring about changes. How effective they are, well, we'll have to wait and see.