Malê Rising

What are the main issues and conflicts ITTL?

I have seen:

Columbian comservatism
Chilean poverty
Gaucho disunity
The relative youth of Nigerian Union, and the reluctance of some of its members
Mossi Kingdom
That damned oversized Ottoman province
Anti post-westphalianism, especially Congo
Congolese NK-counterpart
Nusantaran Princely States
Siam and her neighbors
Hungary

I really found the present day of this TL "sedated". Why don't we kick some dust with...

The alt-populist movement(s).

Just finished reading the thread - took me just under two months to read the whole thing, (including the comments - why oh why did I decide to read all the comments?). This is amazing, brilliant TL, one of the best I've read. I'm just sad I didn't find it earlier - I would have loved to comment on some of the updates. But all that finished a year ago it seems. Oh well. Its actually a shame I can't read it anymore.

To marry the winds
Punjab, March 1896

27RN4T2.jpg

When the British officer rode up, Vandan Kaur was working in her upper field.

She wondered for a moment why a soldier would come to her gate – had the war reached even here? – but then she saw. There was only one British officer who was black as coal and wore the uniform of the 36th Sikhs, and she was calling his name even before she ran to meet him.

“Ibrahim!” she called again as he swung down from his horse, and a moment later they had fallen into an embrace. It had been nearly two years, and his face looked different – twenty-two could be a lifetime older than twenty, if the time between had been spent at war – but the smell was the same, and so was the feel of his hands caressing her back. For a minute, two, three, it seemed the months of separation had vanished.

“It’s been so long,” she said, stepping back so she could memorize his face again.

“So long, so far, but the 36th is home again. They’ve sent us back to the frontier.” He reached back to his horse and untied the trussed lamb and laying hens that had complained all the way from the market. “And these are home now too,” he said, and as if to prove his point, they began exploring Vandan’s yard.

“I’ve got another present for you later,” he added. He didn’t, she noticed, mention money, though she could see that he was dismayed at the poverty of the farm. He’d given her five hundred rupees once, which had bought her out of prostitution and paid for this land; she hadn’t taken an anna from him since.

“Later, we’ll see,” she said. “Where are they sending you on the frontier?”

“My company” – of a sudden, she noticed that he’d become a captain – “they’re sending us to someplace called Saragarhi.”

She tried to place that in her mind. “This isn’t on your way there, is it?”

“In a general sense,” he admitted, “but not directly.”

“Won’t they miss you?”

Ibrahim shook his head. “They sent me ahead with Anil and a few of the sowars to scrounge from the markets. The market here’s as good as any other.”

She smiled in spite of herself. “Supplies are short?”

“Of course they are. If it were otherwise, the natural order of things would fall apart. Haven’t you heard?” And before she could answer, he’d broken into song.

The men who inhabit the Horse Guards
Do battle with paper and pen
And theirs is the absolute power
Of what goes abroad, where, and when.

“A regiment marching through jungle?
Then thick winter coats they will need!
A camel patrol in the desert?
Send oats so their horses can feed….”

It went on from there, the story of a supply officer who accidentally sent the right thing to the right place and chased it across oceans and battlefields to take it back. By the time the tale reached its tragic ending, Vandan was laughing uncontrollably. Ibrahim had always been able to do that, even when she’d been a whore in an Amritsar brothel.

But I’m not that anymore, she recalled, and there’s work to do. Still laughing, she led Ibrahim up the slope from her house. He was a city boy, she knew, and he’d never farmed, but some tasks required only a strong back and willing hands, and clearing the stones from her new field was one of them. They worked together for a while in companionable silence; once, Vandan heard Ibrahim begin a rhyme about a farmer who grew stones for the market, but evidently unsatisfied, he trailed off. No doubt he’d finish it later.

“Where did you go?” she asked when they broke for the noon meal. “I heard they sent you to Siam.”

“Siam, Cambodia, Cochin-China – there, and Samoa after.”

“Samoa?” The other countries, at least, Vandan had heard of, but that one was beyond her imagining.

“An island kingdom in the Pacific. They sent a company’s worth of us there to train the king’s soldiers and watch for the French navy.”

“Was there fighting there?”

“A little. Some French marines one time… everyone has some nobles in their pocket, and everyone tries to overthrow the kings that support the other side. They never told us, but part of our job was to make sure the king stayed on our side, and to replace him if he didn't.”

Something in Ibrahim’s voice sounded different – cynical. He’d never been cynical before. He’d known of the foibles of the world, but he’d laughed at them. He still did – the supply-officer’s ballad was proof of that if anything was – but there was something else in him as well. The war, and the games of kings, had changed him.

“There must be stories.” She cast the words into the air to stop the direction that his – and her – thoughts were drifting. “In Samoa.”

“I was named after a story there. They called me the west-wind person. They have a hero named Tui who married the four winds, and that was how the earth was peopled. They said the west wind must have given birth to the Africans.”

Ibrahim smiled at the memory, but Vandan didn’t see, because her imagination was suddenly afire. What might it be like to marry the winds, to soar above the earth without limit, to leave nothing behind but the cool caress of the breeze? Maybe Ibrahim, the mystic traveler, might know. She could only wonder and question.

Another question occurred to her. “Did you have a woman in Samoa?”

Ibrahim looked at her carefully, and nodded slowly as he realized that her question was an unjealous one. “Yes,” he said, and then, “I thought I’d find you here with a man.”

“Who would marry me? After what I was?”

“Can’t they see what you are, what you will be? What you have always been?”

“In the village, people talk.”

“Leave the village, then…”

“And go where? To your country? You’re promised to another.”

“Maybe not there,” he said, though his eyes told her that he wished she would go to Africa and let his family take care of her, “but a city. Delhi. Bombay. No one there will know, unless you tell them.”

Vandan laughed again, but her laughter held notes of resignation and despair. “Listen to me. What I am, what I will be – here, on my own land, I decide. If I go to the city, my destiny will be in others’ hands. I’d sell the farm, but how long would the money last? I might not find work – I might have to be a maid or a whore again. I’ll stay here, with what is mine.”

He nodded, conceding the point. “You’re right,” he said. But she wasn’t sure he understood. Such understanding came hard for a man whose nature was to marry the winds – even one who now could feel their bitterness.

They started work again a little later, and they labored together and told stories until it was time to cook supper. Vandan slaughtered a chicken, and Ibrahim cooked it with flatbread and dhal in the pit in the yard, and rather than go into the dark of the mud-brick house, they sat against the walls and watched the stars rise as they ate.

At length Ibrahim reached into his pack and withdrew two things. The first was a photograph, taken in Phnom Penh soon after he’d been made a captain; the second, a hardwood charm carved in the shape of a star. Vandan knew from the crudeness of the carving that Ibrahim had made it, and she bent her head so he could hang it around her neck.

“It’s made from iroko wood,” he said. “From my country – from a garden my grandmother loved dearly. The Yoruba say that there are spirits in the iroko tree; maybe one of them is the spirit of God.” He began to murmur something, and when she strained to hear, he was saying, “When God dances, His shadow is in the tree; each ring in its heart a holy word; each pattern in the bark a divine memory…”

She leaned in and listened. Ibrahim never liked to recite his religious poetry loudly, and its reverence was the opposite of the verses he wrote about the war; she remembered him telling her how his father had called such poems his love songs to God. There was something new in this one – he’d learned a fascination for dance, for movement, maybe for the marriage of the winds – but its cadences were the ones she recalled. Maybe some part of him was still untouched by war.

“Am I in any of your verses?” she asked, though she knew the answer.

“A woman is too great a mystery,” he answered.

“More of a mystery than God?”

“The greatest of His mysteries. You are the part of Him that is a treasure beyond my imagining.”

Vandan remembered the first time he’d said such things and how, knowing who she was, she’d struggled not to laugh, but the second time, or maybe the third, she’d realized he meant them. Now, she wanted to hear them again. Ibrahim was as much a mystic about the pleasures of the flesh as he was about everything, and she – herself not yet twenty-one, herself a veteran of many battles – wanted to be the object of worship and to lead him again to those pleasures.

He proved willing, soon enough, to go where she led.

After, they lay together, still under the stars, her head cradled on his chest. “How long will you stay?” she asked.

“Three days. They’ll miss me after that. I’ll come again on the train when I get leave.”

“Three days,” she repeated. She hadn’t realized until that moment how much she missed his physical presence, how much she wanted someone beside her when she slept. She hoped, suddenly, that he had given her a child. A child would be someone to care for, a shield against breaking her vow to stay here and make a future on her land. Loneliness might drive her to the city in the end, even though she’d been still more alone in Amritsar. A child – she and a child might be companions to each other…

“Tell me a story,” she said, hoping one might banish the thought. He considered for a moment – would he tell a tale of Siam or of Cochin-China? – and then began another one altogether, a story of slaves forbidden to speak, who won their freedom but found they had lost their voice.

“That’s a written story,” she said. She couldn’t read or write herself, but she knew the cadences of stories that were read as opposed to those that were told, and she could tell that Ibrahim was reading from memory rather than simply remembering. A moment later, she realized something else. “You wrote it.”

“Yes,” he admitted, and the starlight framed an embarrassed smile. “It was too much for a song…”

And too personal, she realized. Ibrahim’s story had much of his religious poetry in it – the mysticism, the fascination, the search for the divine – but it also had that edge of bitterness she’d noticed before. It was his story, the story of his nation – the story of a people who’d been given a cynical game of empires rather than the noble cause they’d wanted and dreamed. It was the story of someone who could never quite marry the winds, but who was still searching, always searching...

“It’s called ‘The Silent Ones,’” he said, but she might have known that before.

“Let us break the silence,” she answered. “For three days, we can look for the winds together.”

He nodded and gathered her in. “For three days,” he said, “we will live as if three days is all we have.”

Last edited:
The song at the beginning sounds a bit like Kipling, but if so, it isn't one I recognize...

It's Kipling-esque - I was aiming for his style of barrack-room doggerel and his military gallows humor - but the actual verses are mine, or should I say Ibrahim's. The whole thing is below, in case you're interested:

The Ballad of the Supply Officer
by Ibrahim Abacar (Cambodia, 1895)

The men who inhabit the Horse Guards
Do battle with paper and pen
And theirs is the absolute power
Of what goes abroad, where, and when.

“A regiment marching through jungle?
Then thick winter coats they will need!
A camel patrol in the desert?
Send oats so their horses can feed.”

For it was the rule in the Horse Guards
Unbroken since King Alfred’s day:
Whatever the soldiers required
Could never come winging their way.

‘Til the day when a hapless young Captain,
A traitor to all of his race,
Contrived in some manner to order
The right item to the right place.

Too late he discovered his error:
The shipment had sailed with the fleet;
He made his report to the Colonel,
His face had gone white as a sheet.

“Go forth now,” said Colonel to Captain
“Lest all of our honour be lost –
Go forth now and follow that shipment
And find it, no matter the cost.”

A cutter was waiting at Portsmouth
To take the brave Captain to sea
It almost caught up west of Freetown
But a French frigate forced it to flee.

The cutter ran fast down the coastline
But, short of fuel, it turned at bay
And, ‘neath the barrage of the Frenchman
It sank as its hull-plates gave way.

Our brave Captain swam from the wreckage
Ere he reached shore, nearly was killed;
His sole consolation: the cutter’s
Plea for more shells had gone unfilled.

Ashore, he besought him the railroad
But iron to fix it was short
So, mounting a horse, he rode forward
To lands where the bandits had sport.

He stopped at a post on the highway
To arm himself well for the chase,
But the way-station hadn’t the bullets,
So he ran a desperate race.

At last he caught up with the army
Just barely alive from the road
And there he beheld, to his horror,
The shipment, all ready to load.

There hardly was time for a rescue;
The gunners stood hard by the crate –
So, into the teeth of French fire
The Captain charged at a great rate.

And as the earth shook from the battle
The crew took the first shell in hand
And then, only then, could the Captain
Dive on them and seize it as planned.​

But then, as he rose in his triumph
The French guns at last found their range
And Captain and gunners together
This world for the next did exchange.

So sing a lament for our Captain!
He perished, but honour was saved;
For never did shipment reach soldier
Since Alfred the Vikings’ swords braved.​

Any other thoughts/praise/condemnation?

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone. And in case anyone was wondering, yes, this is the visit during which Ujjal was conceived, two months before Ibrahim's death in battle.

Anyway. I've had some trouble concentrating on writing these past few months due to Political Events That Shall Not Be Named in which I was involved on the losing side. As an exercise, I'm thinking of writing a few more Malêverse vignettes/character sketches like that one, focusing on supporting characters we didn't see much of in the main timeline. These will be irregular, and no promises for when they might appear, but does anyone have a person, place and/or time that they'd particularly like to see?

Sulemain

Banned
Thanks, everyone. And in case anyone was wondering, yes, this is the visit during which Ujjal was conceived, two months before Ibrahim's death in battle.

Anyway. I've had some trouble concentrating on writing these past few months due to Political Events That Shall Not Be Named in which I was involved on the losing side. As an exercise, I'm thinking of writing a few more Malêverse vignettes/character sketches like that one, focusing on supporting characters we didn't see much of in the main timeline. These will be irregular, and no promises for when they might appear, but does anyone have a person, place and/or time that they'd particularly like to see?

Bit of a random question, but what's the state of Metal as a musical genre in Malê Rising?

Because I'm a big Iron Maiden fan, and I can't really imagine them without songs like Aces High or The Longest Day, both of which are based on events that didn't happen ITTL.

I'm thinking of writing a few more Malêverse vignettes/character sketches like that one, focusing on supporting characters we didn't see much of in the main timeline. These will be irregular, and no promises for when they might appear, but does anyone have a person, place and/or time that they'd particularly like to see?
No particular wishes, but I'm looking forward to these posts!

Oooh! I really want more insight into TTL's space exploration program. Since the one update that covered it, I've been fascinating by the sheer differences between Maleverse space exploration and our own, and I feel like it could be explored a lot more.

There were at least a few intriguing characters mentioned in that post, and anything that explored their legacy could be very neat.

yboxman

Banned
I'm still holding out for more posts in the non verse TL's, particularly the rice domestication in the upper Niger TL (Carthaganian and Tartessosian galleys! when will they arrive?).

But as far as Maleverse goes, my preference is for another in-universe SF piece, perhaps the full version, or a variant of Laila Abascar's (I thin it was hers) repressive Djini AI patriarchial society meme analog story. Bonus points if you are masochistic enough to tie it in to Those Events Which Must Not Be Named.

Bit of a random question, but what's the state of Metal as a musical genre in Malê Rising?

My assumption is that something like metal does exist, both because playing with power and distortion seems like a natural outgrowth of electronic music and because a world without metal would be dystopian. OTOH, it's likely to have different antecedents and that those antecedents will have evolved differently: for instance, rock as we know it doesn't exist ITTL although all the ingredients do.

The most likely cultural movement ITTL to give rise to metal might be futurism, with its celebration of power and dynamism. This means that France and Italy, of all places, might be Ground Zero for metal-type music, with the French-influenced parts of West Africa also providing considerable influence. This "metal" will have undertones of opera, Southern European and West African folk music, and the electronic Afro-European fusion genres of twentieth-century France and Iberia. American and Afro-Atlantic influence will follow later, and I also expect that, as IOTL, something about the genre will call to the German and Scandinavian soul and spread to those parts of the world with German and Nordic cultural influence.

I'd guess that something like speed metal and folk metal will emerge earlier and be more influential, possibly being among the founding styles of the genre. I've mentioned German-influenced Tuareg folk metal in the Kingdom of the Arabs, but I'd expect that kind of thing to be more widespread and for some truly offbeat subgenres to emerge in Kazembe or (better yet) the Carlsenist-influenced parts of the Great Lakes. Good old-fashioned power metal would also be influential; given futurist roots, I'd expect science-fiction and fantasy themes to be even more prevalent than IOTL, and given Nordic popularity, I'd expect that the mythical themes and the Ragnarök-style sense of epic doom will also be there. Probably not Aces High, but there might be music very much like Blind Guardian or Orphaned Land.

Oooh! I really want more insight into TTL's space exploration program. Since the one update that covered it, I've been fascinating by the sheer differences between Maleverse space exploration and our own, and I feel like it could be explored a lot more.

Hmmm. I'm thinking Moon, late 1990s, or maybe a POV from one of the teams contributing to the Grand Tour missions. Or Russian cosmonauts in 1966 with the Second Revolution going on underneath them.

(I'm really tempted to do a Kazembe-based bacteria-harvesting operation on Titan in 2075, but I've got other plans for that story and I don't want to push TTL into our future, so I'll probably work up one of the others.)

I'm still holding out for more posts in the non verse TL's, particularly the rice domestication in the upper Niger TL (Carthaganian and Tartessosian galleys! when will they arrive?).

But as far as Maleverse goes, my preference is for another in-universe SF piece, perhaps the full version, or a variant of Laila Abascar's (I thin it was hers) repressive Djini AI patriarchial society meme analog story. Bonus points if you are masochistic enough to tie it in to Those Events Which Must Not Be Named.

That story was Funmilayo's, but the in-universe SF pieces are always fun to write and I can think of a couple of possibilities.

As for the other timelines, I've had the germ of a sixth-century BC post in in the rice timeline in mind for a while now, set in Madeira and involving Tartessians, vineyards, a freed slave, and the spread of an Axial Age religion.

Stay strong my friend. It has been a hard time for many of us since June and now November but if this helps you, it will also help us

It's nice to see Ibrahim getting to see his wife before he went to Saragarhi. Gives a sense of closure.

In another note, the recent advent of You-Know-Who has made me go back to reread this timeline. If there was ever a good proof of the power of humanity, this is it, comments and all (and the recent marches).

And for other characters, can you make some room for Arthur Conan Doyle writing a vampire story? Bonus points if you can relate it to said Political Events That Shall Not Be Named.

It's nice to see Ibrahim getting to see his wife before he went to Saragarhi. Gives a sense of closure.

Ibrahim and Vandan were never married, although when Vandan finally met the rest of the family, they treated her as if she had been his wife.

And for other characters, can you make some room for Arthur Conan Doyle writing a vampire story? Bonus points if you can relate it to said Political Events That Shall Not Be Named.

A Conan Doyle vampire story... hmmm. An Ewe adze or the tyerkow of Timbuktu are suitably horrifying, and both could be involved in mysterious events that might intrigue Doyle. Watch this space.

To tide you over in the meantime, I've finally written my first for-publication story since the Events That Shall Not Be Named, called Of Letters They Are Made, and as always, comment and criticism are welcome.