Malê Rising

Brig. Murtala Bello, A Military and Political History of the Malê Wars (Adamawa War College: Yola, 1979)

… The Malê took Sokoto in early May 1840, shortly before the onset of the rains put an enforced end to the season’s campaigning. With the capital of the Sokoto Caliphate taken, its remaining cities faced a choice of three options: remain loyal to the Sultan who had fled east to his vassal in Adamawa; declare for Paulo Abacar and the Republic, or seize the opportunity to regain their independence. Needless to say, each city found its own answer.

For the most part, the towns in the easternmost part of the Caliphate, within reach of the Adamawa Emirate’s armies, remained loyal, as did those in the central regions. There were four significant exceptions, however, and they were telling ones. The ancient cities of Kano, Kaduna and Zaria, forming a belt between the eastern lobe of the Caliphate and the central lands, declared independence, and the imams of Katsina, swayed by Nana Asma’u’s embrace of the Republic, declared their allegiance to Abacar.

In the west and south, where the Malê armies had passed, most of the smaller towns accepted the Republic’s overlordship. Gwandu, which was ruled by a relative of the Sultan, rejected Abacar’s claims, but the city had been conquered less than ten years before, and many of its citizens were still loyal to the old emir. The old elite, most of them Hausa, saw the Republic as an opportunity to restore the old order and, more ominously, to settle scores with the Fulani invaders.

Further south, Kontagora and Wawa broke away from Caliphate and Republic both; in Kontagora, the secession was peaceful and mediated by the city’s imams, in Wawa, it was marked by expulsion of Fulani citizens, many of whom fled north to Sokoto.

But it was Ilorin that was the greatest wild card. Ilorin was like no other city in the Sultanate. It was originally the northernmost of the Yoruba city-states, founded in 1450, and had lately attracted a mixed population and become Islamized. The Fodio dynasty had seized it in 1823, and the conquest resulted in the Yoruba elite being shunted aside in favor of the Hausa and Fulani. The Malê – a mixed group of ex-slaves that was at least as much Yoruba as northern – mirrored Ilorin’s own population, and its merchant class and even many of the imams saw Abacar’s message of radical equality as a chance to restore the city’s balance. There were stormy debates and even fights in the council chambers, but Ilorin declared for the Republic, simultaneously anchoring its southern flank and putting the breakaway cities at risk of a pincer movement.

It was only a matter of time before the political maneuvering of the rainy season was replaced by military maneuvering. Everyone knew that blood would be spilled come October – the only question was whose. As it turned out, it was the Caliphate’s. The coming of the dry season was greeted by slave uprisings in several of the eastern towns, and in the central city of Gusau. The Sultan would not be able to devote his full attention to reconquering Sokoto; instead, he would have to divide his forces and put down revolts in scattered parts of the empire.

At the same time, the Republic was unable to take full advantage of its enemy’s division. It remained at risk of attack from other quarters: the Gwandu emirate wasn’t far from the capital, and the Hausa kingdoms of Gobir to the northwest were eager to regain their former possessions. To be sure, Gobir was still recovering from its defeat by Usman dan Fodio, and was too weak to take on the Malê field army, but if Abacar left Sokoto uncovered, they were more than willing to capitalize on his absence.

Logistics, training and capacity were also a serious problem. Abacar had begun a powder works and a small iron foundry, but hadn’t had time to arm more than a few of the ex-slaves who had flocked to his banner – and while he had local sources of iron, sulfur had to be imported from North Africa over uncertain trade routes. Some of the new recruits had homemade jezail-type weapons, and they were integrated into the infantry squares, but most had to be formed into companies of pikemen leavened with javelins.

The Malê, who were still primarily an infantry force – some of the local Fulani population had joined them as cavalry, but not in sufficient numbers to be more than scouts and screening units – were far less maneuverable than the Adamawa forces, and their capacity for siege warfare was even worse. The roads and tracks of the Caliphate had been barely sufficient for small field pieces; siege guns were out of the question. And the ancient cities to the east would be much more difficult to seize by infantry assault than Sokoto, whose walls were low and designed mainly to hinder cavalry.

And Abacar’s problems were not only military. Despite the support of the Fodio women, many of Sokoto’s citizens were not fully reconciled to his rule, and an influential faction of imams – particularly among the Hausa – viewed his theology as heretical. There was still some resentment over his emancipation decree, and even some of the Malê themselves were restive – not all shared his anti-slavery fanaticism, and many had hoped that he would expropriate the Hausa and Fulani farmers and herders to provide them with lands. He was able to distribute some land to his troops, but refused for both principled and practical reasons to evict the local landowners, who he insisted on treating as citizens rather than conquered subjects. Instead, he encouraged the Malê to marry into merchant families and work in the nascent military industries, and while he offered subsidies for these purposes, many were not satisfied.

So when the campaign season began, Abacar had to leave nearly half his army and several of his most trusted officers in Sokoto, with Nana Asma’u to head a temporary governing council. His initial progress to the east was nevertheless smooth, and he was able to link up with the rebellious slaves in Gusau and secure the city for the Republic. As the army moved further east, however, resistance began to stiffen. At Kauru Namoda, a town near Gusau that lay aside his path to Adamawa, he was stymied by the town walls, and even though the Republic’s army outnumbered the defenders three to one, it was held up for two weeks and was finally forced to carry the walls through a costly infantry assault. If a relatively small city could cost so much to take, what hope was there to reduce Kano or Yola?

But in the field, the Malê proved as supreme as the Sultan’s forces were in the towns. Their field artillery and Peninsular War-proven formations helped negate the superior maneuverability of cavalry, and when the two armies met near Zaria on January 20, 1841, Abacar was able to choose his ground and anchor his right flank with a steep escarpment. By the end of a bloody day of fighting, the Adamawa cavalry was forced from the field.

Almost at once, both Abacar and the Emir of Adamawa put out feelers for peace. Each realized that he couldn’t defeat the other: the Malê knew they could take Yola only at great cost, and the Emir couldn’t keep the field army out of Adamawa’s territory. And to the Emir – an old and wily ruler who had been a loyal vassal of Usman dan Fodio but thought little of his grandson – even a shrunken Caliphate would be considerably more than Adamawa had ruled before.

By the end of February, the outlines of a settlement had been reached: the Republic would have the western and central Caliphate and Adamawa would have the east, with the free cities of Kano, Zaria and Kaduna forming a buffer between them. The border would be open for trade and for free passage of holy men and teachers – a clause that would, in subsequent years, allow Nana Asma’u’s jajis to continue their work in Adamawa.

The deposed Sultan – who had not been included in the peace negotiations – was of course livid at his vassal’s betrayal. Although the Emir did not force him to leave, he quit Yola to go into exile in the Bornu empire, preferring an ancient enemy to a new-minted traitor. Ultimately, he would make the pilgrimage to Mecca, and would die there a learned and revered man.

In the meantime, the peace with Adamawa freed Abacar to consolidate his position in the south. During the rains of 1841, he announced that any city who surrendered to his forces would be compensated for its slaves, while any town that had to be taken by force would not be compensated and would lose much treasure besides. In the event, he only had to seize two cities: he took Gwandu and restored the old emir after rebellious citizens opened the city gates to him, and carried Wawa’s walls with the help of Ilorin’s militia and Fulani volunteers who had been driven out the previous year. For the time being, the Malê state had settled its borders; now, Abacar could begin resolving the Republic’s ad hoc governing structures into a coherent political system…

Last edited:
sokoto2dh.jpg
sokoto3.jpg

Lt. Col. John Alexander, Twenty Years in Africa: A Political Officer’s Travels in the Darkest Continent (London: Collins, 1867)

Chapter Seven: Sokoto, 1842.

The country around Sokoto is less malarial than Whydah – but even Hell itself is less malarial than Whydah, if only because it is drier. Sokoto in the dry season is dry indeed, and hot as the Devil’s kitchen, with the harmattan winds filling the air with dust. It may not be Hell, but for a white man, it is an acceptable substitute.

The city lies at the confluence of two rivers; near the walls are farms made fertile by the annual floods, and on the outskirts are pastures where the Fulani herdsmen keep their cattle. Cattle are great treasure to the Fulani, even those who live in town; the Hausa, for their part, set much more store by land. The Hausa are the Cains of this land and the Fulani the Abels, and they have fought like just such quarreling brothers for centuries.

Perhaps for that reason, the city – whose population I made at about thirty-five thousand – is divided into quarters: one for the Hausa, one for the Fulani, and one for the strangers who have settled here to trade. The Malê, who have lately conquered this country, also have a quarter where they may speak Portuguese among themselves, although unlike the natives, they freely marry outside their own kind. It must be emphasized that the Malê are a regiment of slaves, who the governor of Bahia provided with passage to Africa in order to make them someone else’s headache, and as such, the men among them greatly outnumbered the women. They are fully as warlike as the Fulani and Hausa, from whom many of them are descended, and those who are not soldiers have found work in the foundries and iron-works of the city.

sokoto1.jpg

For the most part, the people of Sokoto live in mean huts of mud-brick, which are round and thatched with river grasses. The rich live in houses of the same construction, but oblong, with larger rooms and roofs supported by wooden beams. Sokoto is a city of mud, baked dry by the searing sun, and even its ruler lives in a house no different from the others. The men are plain in white robes and white turbans, the women – at least those with the means to afford it – wear turbans and gowns of all colors and intricate patterns. Gold and silver jewelry of fine workmanship is also common among both sexes, and the men go armed with spears and swords.

sokoto2.jpg

At the market – an open field just outside the city, where merchants, farmers and herdsmen have their stalls – I first heard of the doings of the man I had been sent to see. He was, the people said, a man of Spartan demeanor, wanting none of the obeisance and flattery that blackamoor and Oriental kings are wont to demand. [1] There were, among the people, those who called him the Liberator, and those who accounted him a teacher of the Mussulmen even though he had first read from the Alcoran just two years ago. Others cursed him for an ignorant and godless fool, one who would cause the mean to rebel against the great and would turn the nation from the ways of God. There are fights sometimes between those who attend the mosques where he is praised and those who follow the preachers who revile him, and the soldiers have twice been called out to prevent the fighting from becoming a general riot.

I heard one of the latter sort of preacher – one of those that hate the Malê and their overlord – in another open field within the city gates. This had no market-stalls but was crowded even in the day’s heat, and this preacher was holding forth to a large audience, some of whom were listening raptly and some of whom were arguing against him.

“Is this a holy place?” I asked the man standing next to me.

“No,” he said, “it is the assembly-field.” He explained that the citizens could come here and speak when laws were being debated, and that the governing council would also attend; although no votes were taken, the speakers were always given a hearing and sometimes heeded. On days when there were no assemblies, those who wanted to preach and debate would come and speak to whoever might listen.

“A parliament-field?” I asked, amused, imagining how our own dear Whigs and Tories might fare if forced to listen while every man Jack harangued them.

“So was the Agora,” my friend said, and I had to look twice to make sure I was talking to a blackamoor.

That is when I recognized his face from the description I’d been given, and realized precisely which blackamoor I was talking to. It was himself, Paulo Abacar, uncrowned king of the Malê, and he stood listening calmly as the mallam cursed him in the name of God…

[1] Keep in mind that this is a British officer writing in 1867 about a visit to Sokoto in 1842. He’s a decent sort, as we’ll see in later installments, but he does have the attitudes of his time.

Last edited:
Gonna be free, oh Lord,
Gonna be free, oh Lord,
Jinn gonna carry me to freedom
Allah is with me, Lord.

Lord gonna make me free,
Man can’t put chains on me,
Only the Lord can make me serve him
Lord gonna make me free.

Evil men who rule now,
Lord break their chains somehow,
Allah will guide their hearts to freedom
Lord make them see, I vow.

Lord, break the chains of man,
Lord, do it ‘cause you can,
None but Allah can limit freedom
Lord, break the chains of man.

– Attributed to Muslim civil rights marchers in Savannah, 1940s

Last edited:
Question to all: I've noticed that many of the threads here contain very professional-looking maps. I'd like to post a map of the political situation in 1842, since many of the countries and cities named here will be unfamiliar to readers, but I don't have the slightest idea how to do it. Can anyone give me a tutorial, and let me know what kind of software I can use?

Also, how do I get more than one picture into the British officer's journal? I'd be grateful for any advice.

Last edited:

Kosta

Banned
Question to all: I've noticed that many of the threads here contain very professional-looking maps. I'd like to post a map of the political situation in 1842, since many of the countries and cities named here will be unfamiliar to readers, but I don't have the slightest idea how to do it. Can anyone give me a tutorial, and let me know what kind of software I can use?

Also, how do I get more than one picture into the British officer's journal? I'd be grateful for any advice.

First, I'd like to say that this is one of the best uchronies that I've read in awhile, apart to Look from the West and the stories written by my friends that I follow less and less each day. I'd like to really congratulate you that not only have you picked up designing a whole new world from a region and time-period not too popular, and woven an extraordinary tale.

Microsoft Paint works wonders with a lot of the PNG maps that are scattered around the site. If you'd like, I can try and find the official base-map thread and find a good one of Western Africa.

I wonder if other African states will follow the cue of the Sokoto Republic in due time? I'm wondering which ones. Either way, I'm so excited. :D

If you want something more zoomed-in than the standard basemap, you may find that GIMP suits your purposes better, in which case I advise you to check out some of the tutorial's listed in this thread, particularly the first one in post #3. (GIMP is a free program available for both Mac & PC, if you're not familiar with it.)

In any case, I look forward to seeing whatever you come up with, as well as the continuation of this work!

Gonna be free, oh Lord,
Gonna be free, oh Lord,
Jinn gonna carry me to freedom
Allah is with me, Lord.

Lord gonna make me free,
Man can’t put chains on me,
Only the Lord can make me serve him
Lord gonna make me free.

Evil men who rule now,
Lord break their chains somehow,
Allah will guide their hearts to freedom
Lord make them see, I vow.

Lord, break the chains of man,
Lord, do it ‘cause you can,
None but Allah can limit freedom
Lord, break the chains of man.

– Attributed to Muslim civil rights marchers in Savannah, 1940s

I believe that the Sokoto republic (short lived or long lived) will have a great impact on the civil rights movement in western culture. I'm not sure how though.

“A Military and Political History of the Malê Wars,” by Brig. Murtala Bello, Adamawa War College (Yola: 1979)

Logistics, training and capacity were also a serious problem. Abacar had begun a powder works and a small steel foundry, but hadn’t had time to arm more than a few of the ex-slaves who had flocked to his banner – and while he had local sources of iron, sulfur had to be imported from North Africa over uncertain trade routes.

I think you mean iron foundry. Unless you mean a large iron foundry and a small steel mill. At this point in time, steel is (usually) hand crafted in small batches.

Microsoft Paint works wonders with a lot of the PNG maps that are scattered around the site. If you'd like, I can try and find the official base-map thread and find a good one of Western Africa.

I'd appreciate that. I found a base map of West Africa earlier today at D-Maps, but it cut off in the wrong place -- a good deal of eastern Nigeria was missing. I may just do one by hand and hope that I've still got enough of my drafting skills, or else I may download GIMP (as Kaiphranos suggested) and zoom/crop a continent-wide base map until I get what I want.

(And thanks for the praise, of course.)

I wonder if other African states will follow the cue of the Sokoto Republic in due time? I'm wondering which ones. Either way, I'm so excited. :D

Several states and cultures will be influenced -- some directly, some through diffusion and some by way of reaction/counter-reformation. Adamawa will be one of the neighboring states that is affected. The story thus far gives some hints as to another.

Looks like there'll be a lot more Muslims among the African-Americans ITTL.

And that these Muslims' music, and ways of thinking and speaking about God, will owe a lot to their Christian neighbors as well as to the Malê theology. There will be mutual assimilation in the African diaspora, and some of the culture of African-American churches will find its way back into the wider Islamic world.

Oh, and the way the African-Americans learn about Islam: fighting alongside a Malê-Fulani regiment in the British army. But that's all I'll give away right now.

I think you mean iron foundry. Unless you mean a large iron foundry and a small steel mill. At this point in time, steel is (usually) hand crafted in small batches.

Got it. Most of what the Malê want to make at this point will be cast iron anyway. The steel components will be made traditionally, which will bring the Hausa blacksmiths into the military-production economy. I'll go back and correct later tonight.

Last edited:
Upload the image to imageshack. Then right click on the image, and you should get a URL.

Take that URL, and enter

Make sense?

Imgur is a far better service.

To the OP, firstly let me say how wonderful it is to see someone else on these boards that actually cares about Africa, let alone writing a wonderful timeline about it.

Secondly, you've spoken a great deal, both in-text and in your responses so far to other posters, about the influence the Malê will have on West Africa - but what about the rest of the Sahel? I don't imagine Muhammad al-Amin al-Kanemi would sit idly by while Sokoto's empire crumbled right before him, though alternatively I'm not so sure how receptive he will be to the Malê's unique blend of theology and revolutionary politics.

Also, on the subject of the maps - the standard basemapA might be too small considering the scale I would imagine you're going to wish to work with showing various city-states and so far. This will likely be much better for you, though the map itself is horribly out of data and incorrect in many aspects, especially in Africa, it'll give you a starting point to work from.

All in all I'm greatly looking forward to future updates. Keep up the good work!

Secondly, you've spoken a great deal, both in-text and in your responses so far to other posters, about the influence the Malê will have on West Africa - but what about the rest of the Sahel? I don't imagine Muhammad al-Amin al-Kanemi would sit idly by while Sokoto's empire crumbled right before him, though alternatively I'm not so sure how receptive he will be to the Malê's unique blend of theology and revolutionary politics.

Muhammad al-Amin al-Kanemi died in 1837, so he was out of the picture by the time of the Malê conquest, and Bornu was undergoing its own political ferment between his son and the old dynasty. Things will happen there, though - you'll notice, for instance, that the twice-deposed Sultan of Sokoto stays there for a while before making the hajj. The Republic doesn't have much of a border with Bornu, and relations (at least initially) will be more diffusion/reaction than direct contact, but there will be a conduit of ideas both ways.

Also, on the subject of the maps - the standard basemap might be too small considering the scale I would imagine you're going to wish to work with showing various city-states and so far.

I found a blank map of Nigeria and played with it - as stated above, not the greatest results in the world, but enough to follow the action.

Please keep reading - ideas and suggestions are always welcome!

All right, not the best map, but it should help everyone follow the action:

Very informative, but I hope it will not be taken amiss if I offer this somewhat gussied-up version?

(With Jonathan's permission, I could also post it in the Map Thread to drum up some publicity for this excellent timeline...)

MalêMapNew.png

I can attest that the advertising worked. This is a really original piece of work, and the style flows really well - I know nothing about African history of any era, but I feel like I understand what's going on. Please, sir, can I have some more?