Make up a Whateverpunk genre

Moustache-punk. A future where those cringey trends from the early 2010s never go out of style even though they were really terrible in retrospect.

Blobpunk. Basically everything about the late 1990s and early 2000s, around the turn of the century, but magnified. Name derived from how blobby design motifs were all the rage back in those days.

As an extension of that...

2KPunk - Basically a more Turn of the Century take on the whole Retropunk thing where the Y2K Aesthetic future presented to us by multiple cartoons, commercials, music videos and products, came true. Shapeless, winged or radio propelled cars fly through the sky, past pink, blue, black, violet and chrome-colored blob-shaped buildings with perfectly rounded windows, spiked hair, vertical shades, goggles and full-body jumpsuits are the top fashions as well as dyed/frosted hair, extreme sports are in a now heavily commercialized Olympics and every single genre of music is laced with late 90s/early 00s electronica/Eurodance sounds. Naturally, technology and entertainment have also changed to fit this future with smartphones, laptops and holographic wrist TVs all being blobby and translucent and animation being most bizarre CGI. Furthermore, every game console in exactly like the PS9 from that one commercial. Unfortunately, the world is now literally run by at least 4 mega-corporations who have divided the world into 4 megastates.

Last edited:
Antikytherapunk - The legendary machine is only the beginning. More sophisticated machines, with more applications than just tracking the stars, come to fruition in Greece.

Mango Soup

Gone Fishin'
Moustache-punk. A future where those cringey trends from the early 2010s never go out of style even though they were really terrible in retrospect.

I'll build off this

Myspacepunk- Social Media is far more customizable Metalcore is still popular, flash games are the perdominant form of video games and friendship is ranked. Everything is neon and black

lyndonpunk

The ethos and aesthetics of The Great Society keep going, leading to a social-democratic USA, with an NHS-style insurance-scheme, nationalized industry, and a popular culture resembling the standard fare on early 1970s PBS(eg. Saturday morning cartoons with the social-conscience of Sesame Street). Hippie and counterultural fashions remain the norm, in a non-threatening way.

BritPunk - the British Empire remains viable and dominant on Earth, and eventually expands out into space.

Last edited:
Huskerpunk- A world where Nebraska somehow takes over the whole united states with Runza as the major fast food restaurant, and everything is made out of corn or runs on corn ethanol

LDSpunk - The Mormons establish Deseret, and instead of seeking statehood, it declares independence. It grows to include most of the western continent, including parts of our Mexico and Canada.

Mormon beliefs and values begin to dominate the continent.

Gangsterpunk - An ethos using Prohibition powered POD, resulting in a dystopia where organized crime completely runs everything and are only opposed by militant drys and religious whackos. North America goes to hell.

1584928542255.png

Riain

Banned
I'm not really across the punk thing, so this might be way off; megafaunapunk.

For whatever reasons the megafauna that died out as homo sapiens spread around the world didn't. My best suggestion why would be firestick farming wasn't used, or used less or whatever.

This would be most noticeable in the Americas and Australia with megalania lizards and sabertooths.

Piratepunk. A world where 17th century - 19th century style and culture still exist, especially Pirates.

Everyone’s uses gunpowder weapons and swords, pikes and shot tactics are still in use, ship-of-the-lines are still used, Africa is uncolonized, Asia is still dominant powers, the HRE is unified, everyone wears tricornes and frockcoats , Pirates taken over half of the Caribbean.

So its like A Horn of Bronze or any potential fictional works made in-universe? Neat.
A Horn of Bronze (and for that matter, Land of Salmon and Totems, the other PNW TL here) could belong to a specific sub-version focusing on the Pacific Northwest. There's an obvious aesthetic with the wooden longhouses, longships, totem poles, geometric art, and salmon fishing. You could do the same for all the cultural regions of the Americas really. It's similar to how Lands of Ice and Mice deals with the Inuit.

Now what I'd love to see is expanding a concept like that to the whole sub-Arctic and basing the aesthetic and setting off of shared traits. Out of similar resources and climate plus cultural universals, there's a lot of convergent evolution present in architecture, art, diet, and even mythology. You'd have a PNW-esque civilisation, an Algonquian/Iroquoian-esque civilisation, a Jastorf/Hallstat/Northern European-esque civilisation, a Finnic-esque civilisation, a Proto-Slavic-esque civilisation, a Tungusic-esque civilisation, an Ainu/Jomon civilisation, etc., and maybe even something totally out there like a Tasmanian Aboriginal, Maori, or Chonos civilisation to represent the Southern Hemisphere. Basically groups with that similar aesthetic going on with all the wooden architecture. Think Kizhi Pogost in Karelia, stave churches in Norway, reconstructions of traditional villages in Southeastern Alaska or British Columbia, etc. or modern takes on this aesthetic like art illustrating scenes from the Kalevala or Slavic mythology or a bunch of folk metal album covers. Here's an example of the aesthetic, it's a modern take on traditional Slavic culture.
a147da1456d6.jpg

I'd also add new shared cultural traits, like a preference for bronze weapons and tools, and a different set of domesticates. Like there'd be exotic looking sheep and goats (Mountain goats? Bighorn sheep?) and instead of horses and cattle they'd have reindeer and moose. I'd think the reindeer would have different temperment than OTL so you could actually use them as cavalry but reindeer large enough to carry an adult male are still rare so cavalry are still limited. And plenty of "Viking" raids too, be it the Germanic-esque culture, the Haida-esque culture, etc. This is probably better for a fantasy setting so you could have all sorts of magic, spirits like haltija or kamui everywhere, and wandering heroic gods inspired by Raven, Väinämöinen, etc.

I don't know to call this. Forestpunk maybe? Or Totempunk (playing off the use of "totem" to refer to ancestral guardian spirits as well as totem poles)? I'd love to write something like this but my hands are full with too much other stuff to write and do. Plus I think this sort of setting is best enjoyed in the visual arts.
Olenpunk - From a TL where indigenous tribe of the regions surrounding OTL's Sea of Okhotsk down to far northern Korea developed into a fairly complex reindeer herding and berry-farming culture. Things start to get real hard once not only does Russia starts its eastwards conquest, but Jin Dynasty China sees an opportunity too. Battles in the muck of the taigas and between native shamanist and buddhist religions and orthodox christianity and islam ensue across the Far East, Manchuria, and inner Mongolia.

In other words, the wild west, but vodka-flavoured.
I'd love to see what the Sakha would do in settings like that. A "Meiji Sakha Khanate" should be mandatory for anyone who dares write that.

LDSpunk - The Mormons establish Deseret, and instead of seeking statehood, it declares independence. It grows to include most of the western continent, including parts of our Mexico and Canada.

Mormon beliefs and values begin to dominate the continent.
Maybe fast food funeral potatoes become a thing too?

Gondola-Punk. Venice based. Powerful families, in the absence of any effective central government, use motorized, tricked-out gondolas to gun down their rivals from the city's canals. Basically 1920s style gangster crimes combined with canals instead of roads.