marathag

Banned
It's not in wide release, but try a can of these when you do see it
1634481935632.png
or this one, if not feeling as taste adventurous

1634481998358.png

I like the Old School Devil from this Can
778px-Underwood_1921.jpg

Nothing says Good Eats like the Prince of Darkness, right?

In the Midwest, it's next to all the other canned meats, like the SPAM and Deviled Ham/Chicken/Roast Beef, and yep, 'Potted Meat' is exactly how the label goes

If it didn't sell, it wouldn't be on the shelf at Wally World and such other Big Box stores

Yeah I think you're right it is actually called potted meat.

Everywhere I have lived for long periods (Maryland and SWFL) pretty much every major supermarket will have it alongside Spam. Though I think they call the pork type Deviled ham.

View attachment 688180 or this one, if not feeling as taste adventurous

View attachment 688181

778px-Underwood_1921.jpg

I have seen Deviled Ham of that brand sold in grocery stores in both Maryland and SW FL as standard along the SPAM. Though I don't think I've ever seen the Liverwurst type.

View attachment 688180 or this one, if not feeling as taste adventurous

View attachment 688181

778px-Underwood_1921.jpg

Underwood is probably the best, but it's a little pricey...
I've seen the maple ham variety here locally, but haven't tried it yet. Hopefully they'll bring in the liverwurst variety around here, I'll grab a couple cans :)
I personally think Braunschweiger with a slice of cheese, onions, and some good brown or Dijon mustard makes for a right tasty sandwich...

It seems to be both genetically and culturally mediated, since if you look deeper into the statistics that Father Maryland mentions above you'll find that people from places where cilantro/coriander are heavily used are much less likely to report disliking it, for example Middle Easterners and Hispanics only have single-digit rates of reporting similar views on cilantro. Considering how people can get used to and even like flavors that other people dislike, my guess is that something similar is in play here. They've learned that the soapy taste is actually good, or at least tolerable.

Ehh heaping Old Bay on it can make literally almost everything delicious.

My Step Mom has one of those little pill containers that people have on their key rings. She of course uses it to carry emergency Old Bay everywhere. Old Bay can help improve any disaster. It's literally magic.

Ever Heard the story of Prometheus stealing fire from the gods and giving it to man?

The guy who invented Old Bay was his reincarnation. The greater one who gave Mankind a far superior gift.

NotBigBrother

Monthly Donor
Beef liver and onions though. Mmmm it's so good and good for you, fried chicken livers. Delicious. Gizzards chewy goodness.

My favorite part of a chicken or turkey is that pack inside of goodness.

Hearts omg, have you ever had a bag of fried chicken hearts.

Mmmm

Attachments

• 168fc228b82500f528b4dbf6209a4ff8.jpg
    168fc228b82500f528b4dbf6209a4ff8.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 62
It seems to be both genetically and culturally mediated, since if you look deeper into the statistics that Father Maryland mentions above you'll find that people from places where cilantro/coriander are heavily used are much less likely to report disliking it, for example Middle Easterners and Hispanics only have single-digit rates of reporting similar views on cilantro. Considering how people can get used to and even like flavors that other people dislike, my guess is that something similar is in play here. They've learned that the soapy taste is actually good, or at least tolerable.

Though yes flavors and odors can very greatly depending on Genetic and Cultural factors. I remember reading when companies were trying to develop a Non Lethal "Odor Bomb" to be used for riot work. Basically deploy the "Stink bomb" and have the rioters stop and run away from the horrible odor. Instead of normal "Less Lethal Weapons" where the risk of death is still their you'd have a weapon that would just be so smelly the rioters would run away.

But they found that "Worst possible Odor" varies pretty greatly depending on Culture. Like in some areas "Rotten Fish" is actually not considered that bad unlike in the States. I think I remember reading that in I think South Africa the "Worst Odor ever" was Cinnamon I believe. Though that might have been Japan.

It was an interesting study. You'd basically have to specialize the Odor Bomb depending on the nation/region in question.

The anecdotal aversion to Cilantro isn't anecdotal. It's a real thing and the evidence for it being a specific Genetic marker is pretty strong from what I can see. About 21 percent of East Asians and about 17 percent of Caucasians will always taste cilantro as being soap.

Though yes enough beer and fried meat can overcome even eating a dish that tastes like your gulping down liquid hand soap. Enough of those two things can overcome literally anything. Civilization itself is built on Fried Meat and Booze. They are mankinds greatest accomplishments. When human beings on Mars or the Moon can fry a nice big thick porterhouse steak with mushrooms and mashed potatoes and wash it down with copious amounts of booze then Mankind will truly achieve greatness. On that days Mankind will ascend to Godhood.

Father Maryland out here trying to achieve halitosis apotheosis with that beer and meat breath x'D

I wonder if someone like McD's just started grinding up the offal and adding it to hamburger when taste tests show its more savory.

I wonder if someone like McD's just started grinding up the offal and adding it to hamburger when taste tests show its more savory.
You mean they don't? :p
I gave up long ago about worrying over what was really in the food that I get from fast-food restaurants....

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Once I had translated cilantro into English I was puzzled as I have never found anyone with this soap taste issue in the UK or France. Coriander leaves are a common ingredient and sold as fresh kitchen plants and as packets of fresh stalks.

On a different tack, my children abhor liver except when whizzed into a thick gravy and then devour it enthusiastically. Some of the resistance must be a texture thing rather than flavour, yet kidneys are no problem.

Benighted Johnny Foreigners must get confused in a British shop on finding Brain’s faggots in the frozen section……….. assuming there was a delivery at all……. How will the British cope when HP Sauce lorries fail to get across the Channel from the factory in the Netherlands? However, I digress.
You were doing so well, right up until the last paragraph.

That became current politics.

Please confine that to Chat.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.