Mahakhitan: A Chinese Buddhist Civilization in India

The government don’t manage land, but they can prevent landowners from consolidating land and creating larger, more effective estates.

A particularly notorious case is Ming Dynasty. With it gentry privileges, whenever someone gets a title in the civil service exam, there are always peasants who willingly become their “tenants” to avoid tax. Tax disappears from government revenues, and yet this new “landlord” cannot consolidate these farmlands for more effective use.

Song Dynasty should have been better than Ming.
Yeah,I was discussing the Song Dynasty today. All of them suddenly talked about how the government doesn’t try and prevent land consolidation at all and that’s the reason why it ran out of funds during the war against the Mongols—which was shocking to be honest,considering the fabulous tales about how wealthy the Song Dynasty was.

Nowdays,I‘m trying to find out how exactly did the Mongols outcompete the Song Dynasty in terms of money when the Mongol empire was already divided by the time the Yuan Dynasty was formed.

Last edited:
It’s the elephant in the room of the Chinese mentality. People either go along with it or go against it by creating a mirror image of it.

I had once had an opposite experience. You know baidu post bar’s Guderian bar?

There was one dude (wehraboo or dégùn) who suggested that the Nazis should have created a Ukrainian landlord class ruling over a Russian serfdom, and this would give the Ukrainians more motivation to support the Reich. I think the guy just turned the communist “landlord-peasant” dichotomy around to create a world of idealized serfdom.

I...what?

I mean naziwank unless it’s very dystopic is a major red line for me.

Also, it seems like it would be more fun to do “China does better or worse for unexpected reasons”

I want the see a good An Lushan to btw
Haven’t seen that,but one Chinese web novel was about a Chinese archery Olympic medalist somehow got transported to Xinjiang a few years before An Lushan’s rebellion. He subsequently joined the Tang army and steadily became a high ranking officer in the next few years,helping Gao Xianzhi smash the Arabs at the Battle of Talas so badly that the entirety of Transoxiana became Tang territory. Due to his achievement,he was made successor to Gao Xianzhi as jiedushi of Anshi and Beiting.

When An Lushan’s rebellion broke out the protagonist easily crushed An Lushan outside Chang’an with his highly experienced Anshi forces,but the Tang Dynasty still fell into disorder because the struggle between emperor and his son broke into a civil war anyway. After pacifying An Lushan,the old emperor and other princes,the protagonist forged his ancestry so that he got mistaken as a descendant of the first Tang emperor’s original crown prince Li Jiancheng,and was able to usurp the throne this way.

Last edited:
People tend to get like that about all cultures tbh.

That does give me an idea for a novel-a novel where the traveler suddenly finds that his uptime knowledge is much less useful without the entire social context of uptime and has to gradually push small changes.

I agree. Frankly you have all sorts of Qidian and other Chinese web novels with vastly different ideologies presented. I also don't think the predominant problem with Qidian uptiming novels is nationalism or "communist propaganda".

Sites somewhat popular such as the Wuxia World choose the most popular among them, and those are always fantasy uptiming ones involving a lot of semi-Taoist and magic stuff.

Sexism and social darwinism seem to be the major problems in such novels. On the other hand you see a lot of "reverse-sexism" and completely disregard for social realism in some other works including the Jinjiang (originally a female-centric site but is now more diverse) novels.

Haven’t seen that,but one Chinese web novel was about a Chinese archery Olympic medalist somehow got transported to Xinjiang a few years before An Lushan’s rebellion. He subsequently joined the Tang army and steadily became a high ranking officer in the next few years,helping Gao Xianzhi smash the Arabs at the Battle of Talas so badly that the entirety of Transoxiana became Tang territory. Due to his achievement,he was made successor to Gao Xianzhi as jiedushi of Anshi and Beijing.

When An Lushan’s rebellion broke out the protagonist easily crushed An Lushan outside Chang’an with his highly experienced Anshi forces,but the Tang Dynasty still fell into disorder because the struggle between emperor and his son broke into a civil war anyway. After pacifying An Lushan,the old emperor and other princes,the protagonist forged his ancestry so that he got mistaken as a descendant of the first Tang emperor’s original crown prince Li Jiancheng,and was able to usurp the throne this way.

Doesn't sound too great LOL.

I always feel extremely embarrassed by Qidian novels, not for their golden fingers per se, but for their blatant nationalism and jingoism.

Imagine reading a bundeswehr officer isoted to WWII and then pull a sealion, or to the WWI, 7yw, 30yw, or Brunwald, or the crusades, or Teutonburg forest, and the results would always be a Germanwank and Angloscrew and Poloscrew and Francoscrew.

Try 花与剑与法兰西 (Les Fleurs, l'épées et la France) LOL. I guess the title kinda gives away how Germany ended up in the novel. There are more works similar to it on Qidian.

Beware that this is actually a semi-romantic fiction more than it is a historical one.

Last edited:
Can I get the title then? Thanks in advance. Gotta check it out some time.
It’s called Tianxia (天下),by 高月. Alongside with 天下梟雄,which took place at the end of the Sui Dynasty,they are known to be the author’s better novels. Most of the other novels by the same author’s started great,but turned out to be a gigantic letdown because the protagonists just steamed-rolled their opponents at the end with greater resources.

Last edited:
Yeah,I was discussing the Song Dynasty today. All of them suddenly talked about how the government doesn’t try and prevent land consolidation at all and that’s the reason why it ran out of funds during the war against the Mongols—which was shocking to be honest,considering the fabulous tales about how wealthy the Song Dynasty was.

Nowdays,I‘m trying to find out how exactly did the Mongols outcompete the Song Dynasty in terms of money when the Mongol empire was already divided by the time the Yuan Dynasty was formed.

Call themselves communists but don't even know that accumulation of capital is actually a huge driver of economic development... Land consolidation is even why China's agriculture since 1980 had boomed so much and requires so much less labor. The fuckin economic theories of Marx underpin Chinese economic policies but the Chinese netizens don't even understand basic Marxism and just think landlords=bad government=good.

Call themselves communists but don't even know that accumulation of capital is actually a huge driver of economic development... Land consolidation is even why China's agriculture since 1980 had boomed so much and requires so much less labor. The fuckin economic theories of Marx underpin Chinese economic policies but the Chinese netizens don't even understand basic Marxism and just think landlords=bad government=good.
Ninety percent of the Chinese ISOT web novels out there consisted of land reforms and confiscating land from the ‘leeches’ who oppresses the peasantry.To be fair,it’s true that a lot of the landlords use less than graceful methods to force peasants to sell them their land and often than not evade taxes.

Another side of this is the question: does land consolidation lead to social progress and economic development?

Those who hate landlords in China are right that this was not the case in ancient China and even pre-1949 China.

The fact is there were too many people (hence labor was too cheap), so why should anyone (other than a radical central government) invest in technological advancement? Asking landlords nicely wouldn't make much of a difference.

Another side of this is the question: does land consolidation lead to social progress and economic development?

Those who hate landlords in China are right that this was not the case in ancient China and even pre-1949 China.

The fact is there were too many people (hence labor was too cheap), so why should anyone (other than a radical central government) invest in technological advancement? Asking landlords nicely wouldn't make much of a difference.
To be fair,few governments invested in technological advancement prior to the 1900s.Things like maxim guns were entirely private ventures.

To be fair,few governments invested in technological advancement prior to the 1900s.Things like maxim guns were entirely private ventures.

In less densely-populated countries with the right conditions, private innovations were indeed made. But the case of China led to a different outlook because such conditions were absent. That's the point I was trying to make.

If there were private ventures long before, who'd need a radical government whipping everyone to industrialize? Yet here we are.

Last edited:
In less densely-populated countries with the right conditions, private innovations were indeed made. But the case of China led to a different outlook because such conditions were absent. That's the point I was trying to make.

If there were private ventures long before, who'd need a radical government whipping everyone to industrialize? Yet here we are.
There were a lot of private innovations prior to the Ming Dynasty. A lot of people theorised that technological stagnation had something to do with the fact that the Yuan Dynasty made professions hereditary,and that the Ming Dynasty continued this. During the Ming Dynasty,craftsmen,especially the ones employed by the government were often abused and were seen as lowly scum.The bureaucrats paid them poorly and often embezzled project funds.Quality of work declined,and there wasn’t really much incentives for innovation because the credit will most likely go to some bureaucrat.The craftsmen,especially the government ones were little better than hereditary slaves.

By contrast,during the Song Dynasty,a lot of bureaucrats doubled as craftsmen or doctors.

Last edited:
Try 花与剑与法兰西 (Les Fleurs, l'épées et la France) LOL. I guess the title kinda gives away how Germany ended up in the novel. There are more works similar to it on Qidian.

Beware that this is actually a semi-romantic fiction more than it is a historical one.

I’ve read an earlier romance named《法兰西之花》les fleurs de la france, whose obsession wit( the “medieval people loathed bathing” myth was quite funny.