Madeleine of Navarre and her world

Treaty of Blois and the birth of the Dauphin
On 1504, Madeleine of Navarre would survive from her illness and recover.

“The Treaty of Blois (1504), also known as the First Treaty of Blois, was an agreement between Louis XII of France and the Holy Roman Emperor, Maximillian I and his son Archduke Philip, the father of the future Emperor Charles V. It was signed on September 22, 1504, at Blois. The treaty centered on an agreement of marriage between Claude of France and Charles, with Claude carrying a dowry that included Brittany, Burgundy, and Blois, and France and Spain agreeing to bestow Naples upon Charles. However, the terms of the treaty fell through when Claude was betrothed to her second cousin, the future Francis I of France. This seemed the likely outcome from the start, as Claude's mother, Anne of Brittany, was the only participant truly eager for the match (it would have kept her duchy of Brittany out of the control of the French crown).”

Treaty of Blois - Freepedia

However Louis XII would choose to revise that treaty and that he would have Madeleine of Navarre as the bride of Charles, Prince of Asturias instead of his own daughter Claude as losing Brittany to the Habsburgs would be unacceptable to the French and Louis XII and Ferdinand would promise both Maximilian that Naples, Burgundy and Milan would be bestowed upon Charles upon the marriage and the dowry supposed to be for Claude would be given to her and the reaction of Madeleine would not be good as she would never return to her parents as she is nothing but a tool to the French king.

On 1508, Sigismund the Old would marry Germaine de Foix with a generous dowry.

Last edited:
The marriage of Madeleine and Charles, Prince of Asturias
On 1514, Madeleine of Navarre would marry Charles, Prince of Asturias which would mean that the treaty of Blois would be in effect, Burgundy, Milan, and Naples would be ruled by Charles which would be ruled by Charles.

Madeleine of Navarre would be 20 years old and Charles, Prince of Asturias would be 14 years old, Madeleine and Charles would like each other and Madeleine would be an excellent administrator and an excellent wife for her husband, Madeleine would provide have five children for Charles, Prince of Asturias which were carried into term by his wife, Madeleine.

- Isabel b. June 2, 1517

-Philip b. January 2, 1520

-Maria b. May 4, 1523

-Joanna b. May 4, 1530

Last edited:
Eleanor of Austria
On 1518, a marriage treaty between Castile and Portugal would be signed and Eleanor of Austria would marry John, the heir to Portugal on 1518 in order to secure a treaty between the two countries and both Maria and her husband, Manuel would be fond of their daughter in law, Eleanor and she would give birth to three surviving children namely;

-Infante Afonso February 18, 1520

-Infanta Maria June 8, 1521

-Infante Manuel b. November 1, 1530

Reaction of Madeleine when hearing the treaty of Blois
Madeleine would say with her maid

I was with my Grandmother and taken as hostage by the King of Aragon, Ferdinand II and I have heard, that I would never be released and was to married to a man that I never like.

I don’t want this marriage, I don’t want this treaty, I just want to go back home to France.

Her maid would say

You are the nearest to a French Princess as your Grandmother is a Princess of France herself.

Madeleine would say

Why would fate be cruel to me.

The fate of Catherine of Aragon
In 1509, Catherine would marry Henry VIII and she would experience miscarriage after miscarriage.

However for Catherine, she would have a son in August 4 2, 1516 named Henry, this Henry would not have children of his own and is sterile nor have any desire for a woman.

On July 10, 1515, Mary Tudor would give birth to a healthy son, blocking the succession of the Duke of Angouleme to France named Charles and this would be a post dead bed victory for Anne of Brittany, the first wife of Louis XII, at least she would have the peace of mind on her death bed and Brittany would now be independent.

Last edited: