M1A2 Abrams vs. Tiger II

bard32

Banned
All things being equal, it's time to compare two tanks of similar size and armament. The M1A2 Abrams, the American Main Battle Tank, and the German
Tiger II, also known as the King Tiger, (Konigstiger,) in German. The M1A2 Abrams is sixty tons. The Tiger II is sixty tons. So they weigh the same. No
difference there. They stack up quite well together. But there, as they say, the
similarities end. The M1A2 has a 120mm main gun. The Tiger II has an 88mm
main gun. So the Tiger II's now overmatched and undergunned compared to the M1A2. The M1A2 has a laser rangefinder, blast doors, infrared sights, and
reactive armor. The Tiger II has none of these. Strike two for the Tiger II.
Lastly, the M1A2 has depleted uranium ammunition. Its sabot shells can cut
through a Tiger II like a hot knife through butter. Strike three for the Tiger II.
So all things being equal, the M1A2 would beat the crap out of the Tiger II.
All things being equal, they really aren't.

MrP

Banned
All things being equal, it's time to compare two tanks of similar size and armament. The M1A2 Abrams, the American Main Battle Tank, and the German
Tiger II, also known as the King Tiger, (Konigstiger,) in German. The M1A2 Abrams is sixty tons. The Tiger II is sixty tons. So they weigh the same. No
difference there. They stack up quite well together. But there, as they say, the
main gun. So the Tiger II's now overmatched and undergunned compared to the M1A2. The M1A2 has a laser rangefinder, blast doors, infrared sights, and
through a Tiger II like a hot knife through butter. Strike three for the Tiger II.

Not to be rude, but I'm getting a massive sense of :confused: whenever I come across one of your posts, old boy. Of course a WWII-era tank doesn't stack up against a modern one. It doesn't even need discussing.

What is your next contest?

A SPAD vs an F-22 Raptor? Funny how technology can make newer things better than older ones. :rolleyes:

Torqumada

The M1A2 has a laser rangefinder, blast doors, infrared sights, and
reactive armor.

Nitpick: The M1 Abrams series of MBTs uses composite armor aka Chobham, which to my knowledge, is superior to reactive armor.

bard32

Banned
Believe it or not, I came up with this for a video game. My point. What is my point? All right, I'm working on, or trying to work on, an alternate history trilogy about a modern army that goes back in time to 1943 North Africa and
the Battle of Kasserine Pass. In which, Third Corps and the Third ACR, are at
Kasserine Pass at the time of the battle. A battle-hardened army unit reinforcing green American troops. The German Tiger Is first appeared in North Africa before going to other theaters. They were better than the POS
M4 Shermans that the Allies had.

Nitpick: The M1 Abrams series of MBTs uses composite armor aka Chobham, which to my knowledge, is superior to reactive armor.
I believe Abrams use additional reactive and cage armour to protect vulnerable areas of the tank against anti-tank weapons, etc.

MrP

Banned
Believe it or not, I came up with this for a video game. My point. What is my point? All right, I'm working on, or trying to work on, an alternate history trilogy about a modern army that goes back in time to 1943 North Africa and
Kasserine Pass at the time of the battle. A battle-hardened army unit reinforcing green American troops. The German Tiger Is first appeared in North Africa before going to other theaters. They were better than the POS

You'll be wanting the ASB forum for time travel stories, old boy.

Both Shermans and Tigers have advantages and disadvantages:

Sherman

+ Fast, manuverable
+ Less prone to breaking down
+ Available in large quantities
- Light armor
- Weak gun compared to later-modeled German and Soviet armors

Tiger

+ Pretty good gun (88mm)
+ Heavily armored
- Available in limited quantities
- Slow
- Prone to breakdowns

Last edited:

bard32

Banned
Both Shermans and Tigers have advantages and disadvantages:

Sherman

+ Fast, manuverable
+ Less prone to breaking down
+ Available in large quantities
- Light armor
- Weak gun compared to later-modeled German and Soviet armors

Tiger

+ Pretty good gun (88mm)
+ Heavily armored
- Available in limited quantities
- Slow
- Prone to breakdowns
I left out the best part of the M1A2. The gas turbine engine. The earlier Shermans had diesel engines but those were used for either training or Lend-Lease tanks. The Tiger, as I said before, is outgunned by the Abrams.
The Sherman, ironically enough, wasn't supposed to engage the Tiger in one-on-one combat. It was supposed to go out there and act as bait so that the tank destroyers could come in and deal with the German tanks. The gun
on the Sherman was a weak 75mm gun. It was slightly improved to a slightly better 76mm gun. However, late in the war, the uparmored M4E8 Sherman, (the Easy 8,) was shipped to the battlefield. Then there was the
M26 Chaffee, which had a 92mm gun.

Indeed AFAIK U.S Tank Doctrine was such that tanks weren't supposed to fight other tanks. sheer genius,eh? :rolleyes:

In other news, Pope Benedict XVI astonished the world today by issuing a public statement in which he declared that he has been an active practitioner of the Catholic Faith ever since his baptizing as a child.