Now that thread views are gone, it's quite difficult for me to know if people are liking my TL or not. I've stopped writing many a thing because I'm nervous that people aren't enjoying it, and I'm beginning to fear that this project will go the way of all the others. :( If you're liking this stuff, please feel free to leave a comment or a like. Heck, like every previous update if you want to, I won't mind! :p Even if you don't have anything productive to say, knowing that someone enjoys my work enough to click that "Like" tab lightens up my day a bunch. Hopefully that didn't sound too bitchy or needy, I do enjoy writing this TL and I just hope you guys like reading it. ^_^

Good points. I made sure to click like on the map, which is of the high quality I continue to expect from you.

Good points. I made sure to click like on the map, which is of the high quality I continue to expect from you.
Thank you! :) I guess there is a standard to uphold, and I'm definitely going to attempt to keep it. Now that we have the like feature, it nearly allows for a sort of rating system. I know the only way I'll get them is if I strive hard to create good content, which is actually a pretty good motivator, all things considered. :D

I still find this interesting.
I second this. Don't worry Upvote, your maps are wonderful, even better when they have a background of history.
That's a lovely map!
The maps are gorgeous! I just wanted to let you know I appreciate all your hard work.
Thank you all, so so much. I'm too flattered to say much right now, but I promise to try to keep up the quality of this TL. :) There are something like three more maps that I've already made that still need detailed writeups, but after that I have new content in the works, hopefully letting me get up to the present day. With that said, here's another chapter!

After the Battle of the Burg, it became evident that whatever strange Scottish culture lived to the west did not want to speak to Europe. While more exploratory missions were sent, any ships that ended up trespassing into their sea were quickly taken. While they discovered Lulachfrýgyld in 1456, Europe didn’t even know the name of the confederation until the 1480’s. It took the occupation of one of Lulachfrýgyld’s southern cities that finally got them to confront the old world. The first official diplomatic missions were made by the English, who had their minds set on colonizing the strange culture that was somewhat similar to their own. King Waefyrnn I of Merscha agreed to meet with a Christian priest from Cardiff, allowing the two people to build something of a mutual understanding. In 1489, any voyage from the Europeans was celebrated in Edscóníeg, even if most of the kings from the north despised the English. Ultimately, the “New Europeans” were seen as something of a novelty; they were nice, and could provide for them, but ultimately they would never be allowed to rule over Lulachfrýgyld. Some people saw them as weak. People who had lived in the “New World” all their lives made fun of Europe for not noticing them sooner. They made fun of the English for turning so French-like, and the Scottish for succumbing to the Danish. Ultimately, while the kings might have accepted meetings, they were intent on banning colonization. The one group they didn’t hate were the Scandinavians, which would come into play later on.

By the early-1500’s, the Ældenglic (the group term for the “Old English” who lived in Litirland) were still holding up. The various kings on the coast, who had spent years feuding with one another for resources, made a pact to occupy any ships sent on violent terms. Europe was fearful of the west, and began to lower their threats of colonization and even diplomacy. The only colonies that were eventually made were created in the south. Scandinavia had the islands of Fennica (Cuba and Haiti), England began to colonize South Scotland (their name for Colombia and Venezuela), and Castile and the Byzantine Empire made a pact to explore the far reaches of the south together. Eventually, Lulachfrýgyld (or Frygia, as they were called by Europe) began to realize their weakness. They had spent the last three hundred years of their existence divided among shifted factions, and they would never have been able to fight a full-on war against any single one of the powers. Quickly, the kings of Oswalltea, Ceibhehionn, and Laloríce agreed to meet with Scandinavia, the only nation they revered for their competence and strength (they had taken over corrupt Scotland, hadn’t they?). In 1523, they allowed the Scandinavians free rights to settle the north, as long as they respected Frygian sovereignty. The King agreed, and sold the islands of Fennica to England not too soon after. Having free reign over the lands to the north, they wouldn’t need the scathing islands.

The first settlement, Camp Nyra, was formed in the far north, close to where the Chief of the Miquaka lost control. Other towns would eventually be formed farther south, but it felt best to leave the Frygians be for a couple decades at the least. Nyra grew in size as they found themselves trading with the Hálignausé and Arraillur, with the Scandinavian colonies eventually outnumbering the size of both nations combined. The 1520’s consisted of periodic wars against the Hálignausé for their expert location between Nyra and Frygia, concluding with the capture of Eio and Enga in 1528. But even through all this, the knowledge of the continent felt a bit lacking. While some ships had been sent to voyage down the Ibalhandia River (OTL St. Lawrence, with the name literally meaning “Great River” River), they weren’t sure where it lead, and if it would ever end at all. So, in 1531, an ambitious man named Hans Robertson was sent to meet a crew on a settlement close to the supposed end of the Ibalhandia. The journey that he planned out with the people of the settlement, known as Flyddelta, would take them around whatever lakes the Ibalhandia drained into, and south hopefully into the western reaches of Frygia. He was sent with the supplies needed to set up any temporary base, of which he eventually founded four. The voyage would ultimately take five years, two years longer than expected.

He set off from Flyddelta in the late summer of 1531, setting up many resting sites along the way. After realizing that the lakes were much larger than expected, he and his crew briefly rested in November, before picking up at the same pace a few days later. He wasn’t moving fast, and stopped many times to fish or to study the environment. Ultimately, after finally moving south, he founded Camp Indirflyd in February of 1432, ahead of schedule by some margin. Indirflyd was located in a nice area, and farms were set up as soon as spring fell upon the camp. Robertson saw it best to stay in the area at least until the next winter past, just so they would have enough food to continue onwards. Ships were sent down the river they discovered, where they were surprised to make contact with the Kingdom of Tapokasa, who had recently defeated their neighbor Breeshey in an eight-year war. The people this far removed had little knowledge of Europe, and didn’t know the Scandinavians had been given permission to settle in the north. With Tapokasa declaring war on Indirflyd, believing it to be a large city, Robertson realized that Frygia was not a singular entity, and changed his plan of crossing through Frygian lands to escape. Instead, they would only explore the coast, and avoid the western lands at all costs (or at least until the news reached them that Scandinavia was fine). The voyagers were forced to abandon Indirflyd in May of 1533, after having fought three Tapokasan and Cascannopan ships in a crippling battle.

From there, two more settlements were set up, as the crew began to rebound from the battles. Langue was established on October 16th, 1533, and Langskip was launched a week later. The two settlements were meant to allow trade to Nyra and the coast, while also allowing for exploratory missions on the interior. Trade was made with the more peaceful Cheroci tribes, as well as the kingdoms of Govannona and Puwhata. The towns were necessary to last the crew through the winter, as they traded to get food until they could farm through spring. They agreed to move on from the profitable colonies by the end of harvest season 1534, agreeing to form their final settlement somewhere along the Frygian coast. Ever since realizing that Frygia was not a singular entity, Robertson got the impression that the population of each individual kingdom could be no smaller than the smallest of European towns. However, he was wrong, as some of the principalities had thousands of people, and the coast was almost entirely settled by the Ældenglic at this point. It took a voyage to the far south, past the same kingdom the English had met with decades earlier, to find a suitable place to set up a town. They chose to help the Kingdom of Caedda to fight off the native Confederation of Schenga, where they were rewarded with a large plot of land. With that reward, Camp Umbúðir was created. Objectively, Umbúðir was the most profitable camp, as the kingdoms they traded with were peaceful and sometimes provided gifts. While it wasn’t easy to farm the swampland where the plot was located, they had plenty of food from the cities right next door. During the two years they stayed there, Umbúðir grew in size, with Ældenglic settlers outnumbering the remaining crew of fifty-eight (there were originally eighty crewmembers, but some had died off in the four years they explored for). What ultimately set them behind their three year plan was the fact that they stayed in Umbúðir for over a year, with Robertson eventually picking one of his mates to rule the city-state after his departure. The town would eventually become one of the many Frygian kingdoms, and one of the only ones to identify with Scandinavian culture. The crew nominally chose not to return to Nyra, as they had already explored most of the coast. Instead, Robertson ambitiously chose to voyage out to sea, where he ironically died. His remaining crew would carry on the journey, docking in Aberdeen on November 16th, 1636. His right-hand man, Jon Herbergison, would go on to form eight settlements in the Scandinavian colonies, leading the entire region to be named after himself (Herbergia). Hans Robertson’s journey would become known as the Langlífrejr, and it allowed the Danish a good view of all the places in Litirland.

bmgMBdP.png

Last edited:
This remains fantastic. I especially like the "Ibalhandia" thing - a very realistic etymological quirk.
Oh, thank you so much! And heh, I do think I need to improve some of my etymology skills, most of the names for the tribes here have just been changing up the letters and pronounciation :p I do think I'll post a new update tonight, if you guys want that! ^_^

After the Langlífrejr, Jon Herbergison would go on to open the Frygians up to trading even further, as the small Duchy of Umbúðir (Embuthire in English) interacted with those in the far south. The staunchest kingdoms remained in the west, with places like Tapokasa and Synnealand actively rejecting influence from the new Europe. As time went on, however, and things like the printing press and gunpowder spread to Lulachfrýgyld, the kingdoms that’d been isolated for so long began to clamor for trade. The Walganus River (OTL Mississippi) was blazing with Scandinavian and English trade throughout the entire second half of the sixteenth century, as exploration picked up big time. English Fennica boomed in population, reaching 150 thousand people by the 1630’s. Scandinavian Herbergia was growing even faster, more than all the other Renaissance colonies. Thousands of people arrived every year to hunt for gold, furs, or just to live in a clean place outside of Europe. At first, the major setback was the lack of clean ships, but that soon changed with the purchase of large Frygian ships, the ones they used to get across the Atlantic Ocean and back for decades.

One Scandinavian settlement that didn’t take off, oddly enough, was Nyra. While it had been one of the most influential camps in the 1530’s, by 1600 it was no more than a small port, more native than Scandinavian. Most people had settled in the old lands of the Halignause, and tried to avoid places where they’d be susceptible to native raids. In 1606, Fort Nyra was sold to the Miquaka (Miqmaq), along with much of Herbergia’s northern region. After the broker of Nyra, the Scandinavian King realized that there were a lack of serious borders for their colony. To what expanse did the Miquaka own land? Was Umbúðir part of Scandinavia, or part of Frygia? What even constituted as Frygia? While the different Ældenglic nations had consolidated into four major “viceroyalties” (centered around the Mississippi, Florida, South Carolina, and Virginia), were they really more like a hundred different princedoms? Taking all this into consideration, the Scandinavian regents published the Aalborg Doctrine, calling for the instatement of four major provincial borders and the foundation of a new fur company to control the far north. Their demarcations for each province were as follows:

Hjalignaus - Taken from the former nation of Halignause, the new province was meant to take up all the land along the OTL Hudson River. While the Scandinavian and native Nause population had been phased out decades earlier, Hjalignaus was still the most expansive province population-wise. Its first governor, put into office in 1608, was Glum Gærhialmsson, great-grandson of Jon Herbergison.

Cludwigland - The area to the west of Hjalignaus, it was also the supposed original home of the Nause. Cludwigland was named after the Scandiavian king’s second son, Prince Cludwig, who was also the region’s first governor. It would go on to be one of the richest provinces, having trade access to the central lakes as well as the Ibalhandia.

Fæstenland - Fæstenland consisted of the Fæsten “Peninsula” (OTL New Jersey), along with some settlements down along the “Forbidden Coast” (essentially a region in-between Frygia and Herbergia where nobody had really gotten around to settling yet). This was one of the more southernmost provinces at the time, and had a lot more to offer than just furs. It stood as the bridge between Scandinavia and the rest of the New World, allowing the colonies access to things like tropical fruits (not grown there, of course) and proper farming. Its first governor, instated in 1609, was Ranveig Jondottir, the only female governor of any Herbergian province in the early 1600’s.

Tirnaland - Tirnaland was, at the time, the least populated of all the provinces, and for good reason. It was located past the farthest reaches of Cludwigland, and into that odd peninsula that nobody had really bothered to explore (besides Robertson, of course). It was good for furs and furs alone, and was majorly native at the time of it becoming a province. Of course, that doesn’t mean much when there were literally thousands upon thousands of refugees from Halignause, making it kinda hard to stack up. Its first leader was Tionnontati Tobesson, a native from the Wyandot tribe.

In addition to the four major provinces, there was the planned territory of Dismoeland, which had very few Scandinavian settlers at the time. Dismoeland was around OTL Ohio, and consisted majorly of tribes displaced by the Picawhamae from centuries before. Perfect for exploiting. :/ After the four (later to be five) provinces, there was the Grand Nyunatta Company. The Nyunatta Company was given land in the farthest reaches of the north, far from any Scandinavian settlement (yet). The only people who had touched the region were the Arraillur, who they didn’t care much for. The Company was essentially a pervasive way to expand the population center farther north, while also making a compromise with the Basques.

After the Aalborg Doctrine was approved by most of the settlers in Herbergia, people were content with the new provinces. The governors were progressive and kind, and growth was exponential. But even so, there was still the issue of Frygia. What to do with that balkanized (or frygianized, whatever) mess? To the settlers who had waited for nearly a century to be allowed to settle in Litirland, it felt best to ask the Frygians themselves. It proved to be difficult to get a clear-cut response from any of the principalities, as they all had beef with one another. If you asked them why, they could tell you extravagant tales about the original exile of Lulach, his abandonment of the kingdom to his two sons, and the eventual divisions that perpetuated the country. But even though telling you their kingdom’s oral history, they would never cooperate with another princedom. The, at this point, pro-European *Atlantic coast was angry at the “trade-hungry” west, and vice versa. The south was having trouble trading with the north due to differences in farming, and *Pensacola essentially consisted of prison kingdoms. There may have been four main viceroyalties, but they didn’t get along with one another whatsoever. Frygia was a mess, especially in the seventeenth century. Ultimately, it all led up to the Treaty of Skarborough, in July of 1650.

Skarborough was a town in the place that we could call New York, built off of the former city of Eio. The treaty was between Lulachfrýgyld, Herbergia, Miquaka (now an independent confederation), Arraillur, and Nyunatta. The main orders set borders for Frygian expansion in the north, treating it as if it was a single entity (even though they acknowledged it wasn’t). The other, much more fine-printed order, was the order that Lulachfrýgyld would have to legally change its name to Frygia, the Europeanized version of its name. In return, Frygia would get Umbúðir, a sore point in the backs of some people for years now. The Frygian officers (there were four sent from each loose union of kingdoms) paid little mind. Regardless, while Frygian historians would be cursing out the officers, it sorted out major confusion in Litirland (or Litherland, as it was called by England).

Litirland/Litherland in 1650, showing claims as denoted by the Treaty of Skarborough.
nv81LB0.png

Last edited:
Would anyone be willing to help me, like... maybe make this a collaborative project after I get up to the present day? I don't want to end everything there, I'd love to go back and make some wikiboxes and flags and stuff, and it'd be even more fun with you guys. Is anyone interested in that? :coldsweat:

Would anyone be willing to help me, like... maybe make this a collaborative project after I get up to the present day? I don't want to end everything there, I'd love to go back and make some wikiboxes and flags and stuff, and it'd be even more fun with you guys. Is anyone interested in that? :coldsweat:
I can help you with flags if you like.