Lower enlistment age in the US

Some places only had three-year high schools during WW2. Many 17-year old graduates, like my father, enlisted with parental consent and went right off to war. Others, like an uncle of mine, lied about their ages and enlisted at 16.

The only reason the country would want to enlist someone that young is if its very existence was at stake, and there was a dire shortage of manpower - nothing short of nuclear war, or an alien invasion would do that.

And "Existence at stake" is kind of hard to find for the US post 1900. It would need to be something where there was a real threat of invasion. And that would probably take every single other country in existence banding together and even then be iffy. And that would require ignoring the US Nuclear stockpile.

I could see the US drafting pre 18 year olds for labor in some semi apocalyptic scenarios where civilization has been deeply wounded but the country is still nominally together. Something like a Cuban missile crisis go's hot where the US has completely obliterated the Warsaw Pact but taken a couple in return. I could see the resulting economic collapse and need for labor resulting in a drafting of teenagers for labor duties.

marathag

Banned
And in regards to Vietnam for the most part the GI's sent to the conflict were at least nominal volunteers. Sending draftees was generally too politically toxic so draftees got sent to Europe or SK while volunteers got sent to Vietnam.
Plenty of Draftees were sent to SEAsia, thoufh if tou were to enlist for longer term than the 2 years, chances went up you got sent to W.Germany or S. Korea.
The Army needed as many 11Bulletstoppers as they could get, including lowering the standards.
Readup on McNamara's 'Project 100,000' or 'McNamara's Moron Corps' as others in the Armed Forces referred to them

SsgtC

Banned
I could see the US drafting pre 18 year olds for labor in some semi apocalyptic scenarios where civilization has been deeply wounded but the country is still nominally together. Something like a Cuban missile crisis go's hot where the US has completely obliterated the Warsaw Pact but taken a couple in return. I could see the resulting economic collapse and need for labor resulting in a drafting of teenagers for labor duties.
Even then, it would be into the Civil Service, not the military.

Even then, it would be into the Civil Service, not the military.

Fair enough. Though in that sort of "Semi post Apoclaypse" I could see it being organized through the military for convienence sake and that the military organizational structure would probably be more intact then the civilian one in a "Cuban Missile War" TL.

SsgtC

Banned
Fair enough. Though in that sort of "Semi post Apoclaypse" I could see it being organized through the military for convienence sake and that the military organizational structure would probably be more intact then the civilian one in a "Cuban Missile War" TL.
There's different levels to Civil Service. For example, both NOAA and the Public Health Service have uniformed, commissioned officers that are still technically civilians. The Coast Guard has the Coast Guard Auxillary which is likewise uniformed, but retains Civilian status. The Air Force has Civil Air Patrol and the Air Force Auxiliary which are uniformed and civilian. Though all of the above are issued federal ID giving them the status of a field grade officer should they be captured while serving in a War Zone. We would probably see similar programs enacted for civilians on the home front of it's needed that badly.

The OP mentioned the enlistment age in the UK is 16, but what wasn't mentioned is 16 year olds have more rights in general in the UK than in the US.
  • Leaving school (some states in the US as well but not all)
  • Drinking beer, wine, or hard cider in a restaurant as long as purchased by someone over 18
  • Leaving parental home
  • Medical decisions
  • Scotland only: voting
  • Scotland only: getting married w/o parental consent
  • Scotland only: considered an adult in civil court
From this, it is obvious the UK has a different attitude towards young people than the US does.

marathag

Banned
But it appears more common in the United States because of the sheer number that were reported doing it.
Like the 'Stupid Floridian Criminal' Meme:
not that they don't have them: they do- but their open records law makes it easy to sift thru to find and report on them across the Globe for cheap laughs

SsgtC

Banned
Like the 'Stupid Floridian Criminal' Meme:
not that they don't have them: they do- but their open records law makes it easy to sift thru to find and report on them across the Globe for cheap laughs
I agree, it's public perception. And in something like lowering the enlistment age, public perception is all that matters

I will note that lower enlistment age can work sometimes when the character of a unit makes the practice ubiquitous, or it deals with a population where such a practice is not norm breaking.

This is a somewhat personal anecdote, but my fiancee was in the IDF earlier this decade, and she was an intelligence officer as part of the Givati Brigade (part of Southern Command). The brigade has the internal nickname "Красная Армия " for a reason, in that around 1 in 3 of its frontline personnel for Operation Pillar of Defense were estimated to be the children of Russian or Ukrainian olim, and the birth certificates of this population are somewhat nebulous, with kids being listed as older than they really are for some reason upon aliyah (most think it is so they can contribute by doing teen jobs and help the family earn money while ducking child labour laws) with the impact being some entering the IDF before age 18. This is relatively common for some bizarre reason that still hasn't been fixed, and it has become a sort of running joke in the IDF that the Russians haven't learned to shave yet by the time they enter.

Last edited:
Why recruit a bunch of kids when you can hire well-trained, experienced PMCs?
A good example is Nigeria.
After years of fighting Boko Haram (often using child soldiers) with no wins, the Nigerian gov. decided to do something smart.
It hired apartheid era South African PMCs, and they started to turn the tide against Boko Haram to the point that they were more a nuisance than a genuine threat.

Why recruit a bunch of kids when you can hire well-trained, experienced PMCs?
A good example is Nigeria.
After years of fighting Boko Haram (often using child soldiers) with no wins, the Nigerian gov. decided to do something smart.
It hired apartheid era South African PMCs, and they started to turn the tide against Boko Haram to the point that they were more a nuisance than a genuine threat.

Yeah most theoretical scenarios where the US is in desperate need of more troops would be partially met with PMCs. From the perspective of the Pentagon there great partially because the media and politicians don't care if they get killed.

Some places only had three-year high schools during WW2. Many 17-year old graduates, like my father, enlisted with parental consent and went right off to war. Others, like an uncle of mine, lied about their ages and enlisted at 16.
My grandfather enlisted into the Coast Guard at age 16 during WWII with the help of his mother I think I recall reading of a few as young as 14 serving the US during WWII. The Royal navy lost a ship with lots of teens on it right?

My grandfather enlisted into the Coast Guard at age 16 during WWII with the help of his mother I think I recall reading of a few as young as 14 serving the US during WWII. The Royal navy lost a ship with lots of teens on it right?
HMS Royal Oak.
Sunk in 1939 at Scapa Flow by U-47 commanded by Gunther Prien.

A lot of teenagers lied about their age to enlist. I believe the youngest verified is a 13 year old who illegally enlisted and ended up in Normandy before the Army realized it's mistake and evacced him.