Love, Hope, and Optimism: The Story of an American Commonwealth

Chapter One: America Day
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.
-Jack Layton

Love, Hope, and Optimism:
The Story of an American Commonwealth
Chapter One: America Day

July 1, 2017

Thousands of people were gathered in Philadelphia's Fairmount Park, on the bank of the Schuylkill River, on a hot and humid summer night. They gathered there to join their nation's leader in celebrating the anniversary of America's unification into a single nation in 1785. The Prime Minister, a balding Torontonian with a well-groomed mustache, stood alone on stage.

au0S4MN17I1YkVPkgeLNNpq8KuTg1aq7cLCc-5CfFOZ_4kn83IVn6pbaPrA1-6BijApV8VP0DvsZK_fbYFCjo3aKV3bS4sajbtCsNMh_Hfyo_lccBXMd7ELiCn6EkPivafiQUOtg

Prime Minister Jack Layton delivers his annual America Day speech.
“Over two hundred years ago, a new nation was brought into the world. Nobody knew then that the new nation would find its place as one of the great nations of the world. Over the years we have surmounted innumerable challenges, wars, inequality, crises of all kinds that would have torn a lesser nation apart, but America prevailed. The American people came together in times of crisis and worked together to forge a stronger nation of common people. This commitment we have to one another continues, and while we remind ourselves we have done well, we must also remind ourselves that we must continue to stand for progress.”

Prime Minister Jack Layton continued his speech marking America Day. His words cut through the humid July air, electrifying the crowd of thousands of Americans standing before him, making them and thousands more across America remember what they had to be proud of as Americans, their compassion, diversity, and commitment to one another.

“Looking back on our long and storied history it is clear to me that Americans can do anything, so don’t let them tell you something can’t be done. On behalf of our family, Olivia and I wish you all a very happy America Day. Now please let us join you in watching the fireworks.”

As the Prime Minister’s speech ended he was joined onstage by his wife, Olivia. The couple embraced each other and waved to the crowd as they were met by roaring applause. The pair walked off stage as the applause died, and then the lights in the park were dimmed and the first firework streaked across the sky, exploding in a burst of green, white, and blue, the colours of the American flag.

Jack Layton had been Prime Minister for almost seven years at that point, earning reelection after having navigated the country through a deep recession that had brought down two previous governments. In 2010, after years of failing, complacent government, Jack Layton had inspired a tired nation and, as a reward, was swept into power. Since then his government had confronted the challenges of job loss, financial instability, and rising costs of education and health care. It had weathered the departure of a coalition partner and emerged from a new election with the first outright majority for the Social Democratic Party since the days of Tommy Douglas.

As the end of Jack Layton's second term in office approached, climate change and increasing economic inequality were two issues at the front of the Prime Minister's mind, and he vowed to himself that he would not allow them to go unaddressed in the coming election.

But for now, he would enjoy America Day and take a moment to reflect on the the progress that had already been made, returning to Powell House after the fireworks display for a calm night in.

Last edited:
Note: Some inspiration for this work was drawn from @lord caedus's American Commonwealth threads, and this work was produced with that member's knowledge and permission.

So Canada and America ?
Yes. This is a modern day version of a North America that never experienced an American Revolution and evolved accordingly. I'm working on some maps and wikiboxes as well to help show this.

While the PoD is in the past, it will be taking place in modern times. If it ends up being moved I wouldn't mind, but I'm fine leaving it where it is for now.

I'm 'Murkin born-and-raised and you had me at "Prime Minister Jack Layton." Very nice way to celebrate the sesquicentennial.

Chapter Two: Elyria
Here's chapter two, another update can be expected tomorrow. They were going to be one update but it turns out that that update would have been absolutely massive, so I decided I'd rather space it out over two days.

Chapter Two: Elyria

July 11, 2017

Elyria, Ohio

Peter Shannon stood on the eastbound platform of Elyria Station awaiting his 7:15 AM commuter train to Cleveland. Peter was a doctor at Cleveland Medical Center specializing in the treatment of rare diseases. That morning he was expected to meet with a new patient, a pregnant woman from Pennsylvania whose baby was showing signs of spinal muscular atrophy. She had come to Cleveland for the express purpose of consulting with him on her baby’s condition, which looked very grim in Peter’s eyes. Peter would soon have to tell this woman, whose name he had not yet learned for fear of becoming attached, that her child would have a short and miserable life. In short, Peter was dreading the day ahead of him.

The sun had risen over an hour ago, but when Peter looked east, the early morning sunlight still stung his eyes for a moment. Once his eyes adjusted he saw a young woman crouching down in front of a stroller adjusting the strap of a baby. Peter couldn’t bear to look at her and turned away.

As he turned, he saw that his train was approaching. An electrically propelled set of four cars gliding along the rails. From the fleeting glimpses he caught of the interior, the train was already getting crowded. Peter would probably be sharing a seat with someone that morning.

Peter sighed, and moved with his fellow commuters towards the train door.

Suddenly, someone yelled, and there was a rush of activity at the western edge of the platform. First a few people started trying to run, and in a moment the entire crowd was running. Not knowing what they were running from, the mass of people on the platform ran towards the exits. In the fray, Peter was knocked to the ground.

Powell House, Philadelphia

A flustered and red faced Jeff Weaver burst into the Prime Minister’s study brandishing a tablet. He shoved it into the Prime Minister’s face, “ABS has had this ten minutes ago, no one bothered to call us.”

The Prime Minister put down his newspaper and took the tablet from his Chief of Staff’s hand. On screen was a split screen between ABS News anchor Anderson Cooper and picture of a terrible train crash. He turned up the volume.

“If you’re just joining us now, you’re watching live aerial coverage of the aftermath of a crash between a high speed Acela train and a local commuter train in Elyria, Ohio. It is believed that the Acela collided at some speed with the commuter train as it was stopped at Elyria Station, causing both trains to derail with the Acela smashing through the other train and into the station building.”

The Prime Minister didn’t know what to say in response to this. He couldn’t take his eyes off of the coverage.

Weaver brought his mind back into the room, interrupting his concentration on the events unfolding on the screen. “Sir, I know this is a lot to take in, but we have to come up with a response. I’ve been on the phone with Olivia and her team is gathering all of the information they can on this. This is going to come up during PMQs later, so we’ll get you prepared as soon as we have more information.”

“Well why don’t we just call in Anderson Cooper? After all, it seems that he knows more than we do.” The Prime Minister responded, gesturing with the tablet that was still playing the ABS broadcast.

“It’s our job to know more than ABS, Jack.” Weaver sighed, “And it seems that this morning we’re not doing that job very well.”

This looks VERY promising. Subscribed and I hope to learn more!! :D
Thank you! I plan to reveal much more about the current situation in the Commonwealth as well as the history as the TL progresses. I would be happy to field some questions about this world if you have any.

Thank you! I plan to reveal much more about the current situation in the Commonwealth as well as the history as the TL progresses. I would be happy to field some questions about this world if you have any.

Status of African-Americans* ITTL.

Are the British, German, Austro-Hungarian and/or Russian Empires still around? (Also just Europe in general).

Status of Australia?

Also how goes the development of Communism, Fascism or whatever ideologies are/were dominant ITTL?

(pls be a monarchist wank :3)

Status of African-Americans* ITTL.
The inequality between African-Americans and White Americans is smaller TTL due to an earlier end of slavery (although not without certain disaffected parties) as well as a variety of other factors that will be explored. America has not yet had an African-American Prime Minister, although several major parties have had African-American leaders and there has been an African-American Governor-General.

Are the British, German, Austro-Hungarian and/or Russian Empires still around? (Also just Europe in general).
Britain, Germany, Austria, and Russia all exist TTL. I can't say much right now about their imperial status. I can also say that Central Europe is a very interesting place TTL.

Status of Australia?
Georgia remained available for longer as a location for deportation of British prisoners, and that has had certain effects in Australasia.

Also how goes the development of Communism, Fascism or whatever ideologies are/were dominant ITTL?
Can't say too much right now on this, sorry.

(pls be a monarchist wank :3)
;)

The inequality between African-Americans and White Americans is smaller TTL due to an earlier end of slavery (although not without certain disaffected parties) as well as a variety of other factors that will be explored. America has not yet had an African-American Prime Minister, although several major parties have had African-American leaders and there has been an African-American Governor-General.

Britain, Germany, Austria, and Russia all exist TTL. I can't say much right now about their imperial status. I can also say that Central Europe is a very interesting place TTL.

Georgia remained available for longer as a location for deportation of British prisoners, and that has had certain effects in Australasia.

Can't say too much right now on this, sorry.

;)

Ooooh, I'm intrigued...

I just had the thought of my Ma moving from Denmark to America* if an Alt!WWII took place, leading to some alternate version of myself that grew up in the *USA as opposed to 'Straya.

I can't wait for the next update!!! :D

(I want surviving British and German Empires ruling the world together... :p #KaiserWilhelmIVForGermany2K17)

Very good indeed.

Very novel idea, a great one too. Most timelines I see don't diverge that much from history.
Thank you for that praise. I'm trying to work on a plausible backstory for this that fills in everything between my PoD and the modern day, and I'm learning a lot of interesting things along the way. Of course there is a rather noticeable butterfly net cast around many of the characters, as has been seen in the first few updates, but that's the way I enjoy writing this, so that's how it will be.

Chapter Three: Questions for the Prime Minister
Who else remembers when I said last week that I would have another update out the next day? Aren't I hilarious? Seriously though, I am going to be updating more regularly. This ended up being longer than I thought it would be.

Chapter Three: Questions for the Prime Minister

July 11, 2017

House of Commons, Philadelphia

“Questions for the Prime Minister!” thundered Speaker Marcia Fudge, her voice rising above the din of the chattering politicians laid out before her. “David Cicilline!”

David Cicilline stood up. “Question number one Madam Speaker.”

“The Prime Minister!” Fudge yelled out before taking her seat.

“Thank you, Madam Speaker. I would like to start by expressing my deepest condolences to the victims of the Elyria rail disaster and their families as well as the first responders, and I believe the entirety of this house will join me in extending our best wishes to them.” The Commons was filled with suppressed murmurs of agreement with the Prime Minister's well-wishes. The Prime Minister continued, ”Madam Speaker, this morning I had meetings with ministerial colleagues and others, and in addition to my duties in this house I shall have further such meetings later today.” Layton sat, waiting for the softball question from his own party’s MP.

The Speaker rose from her chair overlooking the chamber to recognize the MP for Providence. “David Cicilline!” she exclaimed once more.

Cicilline rose. “Thank you Madam Speaker, I would like to join the Prime Minister in expressing our deepest sympathies with those affected by today’s train crash in Cleveland.” He paused a moment to show his respect, and proceeded. “I would also like to bring the Prime Minister’s attention to the fact that in this Commonwealth people can still be legally discriminated against for their sexuality. On Monday, a young woman from Providence came into my local office after having been fired from her job as a secretary at the law firm of Beckett, Mitchell, and associates because one of her bosses found out that she was a lesbian. This practice is far too common across this Commonwealth, and it is a situation that cannot be allowed to continue any longer. Therefore, I will be reintroducing the Equality Act as a private member’s bill later today. Will the Equality Act have the support of this government, which it lacked when I last introduced it in 2013?“

The Prime Minister rose to answer, placing his left hand on the dispatch box for support. “Well, I would like to first express my agreement with the honourable member from Rhode Island and say that this situation is reprehensible. I hope that the woman he mentioned is able to find employment in a more accepting environment.” He looked up into the benches Cicilline, who was making a disapproving face back at him. “I will also say this this bill will have the full support of my government and that I would like to see it passed into law before the August recess, and will be coordinating with him, the Justice Minister, and other relevant parties to see that that happens.” This was met with cheers and applause from the Social Democratic and Liberal benches, while Heritage, many Tories, and a number of Progressives jeered, as they often did.

“Peter Mackay!”

Peter Mackay stood, “Well it looks like we’re off to a lively start today” the Opposition Leader observed wryly. “I would also like to express my most sincere condolences for today’s tragic disaster in Ohio, and call on this government to take all possible actions to determine the cause of this accident and implement measures to address the flaw in the system that made this possible. ”

“This government is currently assessing the situation and considering what the appropriate actions to take are, and we will notify this house once we have completed that process.” the Prime Minister responded, his words becoming more stressed towards the end.

Mackay returned to his feet, “Now that’s all very good sounding, but what I would like to know is what happens when this government inevitably does nothing when confronted with crisis. The Prime Minister talks a good game on issues like this, but his actions betray his true inability to run a newspaper stand, let alone the world’s second largest economy.”

“This government has accelerated the implementation of positive train control across our nation’s massive railway system. Many years of deferred maintenance under previous governments have accomplished nothing more than making the problem more severe.”

Mackay fake-gasped before replying, “Well excuse me if I wasn’t aware of the dedication the Prime Minister and his wife have for transportation safety." He remarked incredulously, "That being the case I have to ask why this disaster was allowed to occur on your watch? Are commuters not a priority for this government?”

“The American people can see for themselves that this government has made commuters a priority. We have invested in expressway repair, railway enhancements, and safety improvements. What today’s tragedy shows is that there is still more work to be done, work that this government is committed to continuing.” The Prime Minister stopped for a moment, considering his next words carefully, “And may I add that the Minister of Transportation’s record in office is unimpeachable, and I'm not just saying that because she's my wife.”

The Prime Minister returned to his seat to the applause of his MPs. Settling into his seat for a brief moment of rest, Tom Mulcair clapped his arm and said to him “Good one Jack!”

“Barack Obama!”

Barack Obama, the leader of the Liberal Party, rose to ask his question. “Thank you Madam Speaker. I would like to ask if the Prime Minister is aware that the asian carp, an invasive species that would destroy the ecosystem of the great lakes that lie at this commonwealth’s heart, has been confirmed present in the Chicago River less than ten miles from Lake Michigan, having somehow gotten past the numerous barriers meant to have prevented it from coming so close to the lake? I would also like to ask what actions his government is taking to ensure that the asian carp does not spread into the great lakes and disrupt the vital ecosystem, wreaking havoc on fisheries throughout the lakes and putting boaters in harm’s way.

“Allow me to assure the honourable gentleman from Chicago that the asian carp problem is a major concern in Powell House. Like Mr. Obama, I also have a personal attachment to this issue, because even though me home of Toronto is at the other end of the Great Lakes from Chicago, invasive species like asian carp are still a threat to our economy and ecosystem.” Layton said before sitting down, musing over the unexpectedly soft question from the usually sharp and probing Obama.

“Kathleen Sebelius!” proclaimed Fudge, bringing down Layton’s mood immediately.

Sebelius stood, with what Layton thought was a smug look on her face. “Would the Prime Minister care to explain his government’s lack of action on a number of pipelines across the Great Plains? These proposals have been before the Energy Ministry for multiple years in some cases. and the government has neither granted or denied permission to proceed on any of these projects. When will the good people of the plains have an answer from this government?

"This government has been transparent about the review process from day one. All pipeline proposals are being heavily scrutinized by the dedicated civil servants at the Energy Ministry, taking into account the economic impacts of the proposals, the potential environmental drawbacks, as well as the property rights of the abutting landowners, which I know is of the utmost concern to farmers and First Nations groups across the plains.”

“This is a matter of more than property rights for the many people who would have their land unjustly taken if these pipelines were to go ahead. This is a matter of heritage for the millions of people across the Plains. I insist that this government deny these pipelines regulatory approval. Failing that, Madam Speaker, I believe that the Prime Minister at least owes the members of this house and the American people an answer on the issue.”

The Prime Minister countered, “Madam Speaker, may I suggest to the honourable lady that the current backlog of review at the Energy Ministry is a direct result of the poor administration of that Ministry under her colleague the member for Terre Haute?” As he continued, the Prime Minister’s face started to become red with anger. “In his time as Minister of Energy in the previous coalition government the staff shortage that had started in earnest under the previous Liberal government became exacerbated! And when I tried to take actions on the situation, I was stopped by the member opposite!” Layton paused to take a breath before continuing, “And if you’re so desperate for an answer, I would advise the right honourable member for Topeka to return to her cornfield and wait for one.”

This outburst was met with a moment of stunned silence before the opposition benches erupted in a cacophony of boos and jeers.

“Order! I will have order!” shouted Speaker Fudge as she repeatedly crashed her gavel down against her podium. “The Prime Minister will be heard, even if he insists on using such crass language.”

It took Layton a moment to realize that he had publically lost his temper at his former coalition partner. He slowly returned to his seat, in a bit of a daze. He looked across the chamber to see Sebelius’ satisfied grin.

It took several minutes for the Speaker to return the Commons to order. After that, the rest of PMQs went off without a hitch, with Layton adeptly answering questions on local issues or of individual concern to MPs of various parties. That wouldn’t be what the media and other parties cared about though, all they would focus on would be his responses to the leaders’ questions.

Looks like "Progressive" has a slightly different definition ITTL, if they're protesting an LGBT rights law.
Yeah TTL's Progressives are quite a bit different from how we use the term IOTL. Although LGBT issues are one thing in particular that is very divisive in the Progressive Party. Soem of it can also be attributed to the fact that a lot of Progressives just don't like Jack Layton.

I'm going to do a write-up on the various major parties in Parliament over the next day or two, so more on that will be explained then.

Last edited: