Love, Hope, and Optimism: The Story of an American Commonwealth

Yeah TTL's Progressives are quite a bit different from how we use the term IOTL. Although LGBT issues are one thing in particular that is very divisive in the Progressive Party. Soem of it can also be attributed to the fact that a lot of Progressives just don't like Jack Layton.

I'm going to do a write-up on the various major parties in Parliament over the next day or two, so more on that will be explained then.
Looking forward to reading it! So there are the Social Dems, Liberals, and a right-wing Progressive Party?

Looking forward to reading it! So there are the Social Dems, Liberals, and a right-wing Progressive Party?
I think to call the Progressives right-wing is a bit of a simplification, they're essentially in the same place a lot of Democrats were in the 2000s on gay rights.

Other than that, you have the major parties identified well. the SDP, Conservatives, Liberals, and Progressives are the largest parties in Parliament, with a few others running around who will all be covered in that update I mentioned.

Chapter Four: Over the Airwaves
Chapter Four: Over the Airwaves

July 11, 2017

Vancouver, Columbia

“Welcome back to WVCR, Vancouver’s ABS Radio station. I’m your host Simi Sara and this is the Simi Sara Show. I’m joined via telephone by Harjit Sajjan, MP for Vancouver South. Sajjan is a member of the Liberal Party and was in the House of Commons earlier today during PMQs. Thank you for joining us Mr. Sajjan.”

“Thank you for having me on Simi, it’s always great to talk to you.”

“It's always a pleasure, Mr. Sajjan. Now before we talk about PMQs I feel it’s important to quickly touch on the rail crash this morning in Ohio.”

“Such a tragedy.”

“Yes, yes it is. For some of our listeners who are not aware, this morning there was a collision between an Acela train and a commuter train outside of Cleveland, Ohio that is believed to have killed well over one hundred people. Recovery efforts are underway and we will continue to bring you updates on that story. Mr. Sajjan, does the government have a working hypothesis about what caused this crash?”

“Well, Simi, the Prime Minister was not very clear this morning when asked about that, but since the train that caused the collision was an Acela I believe that it is highly unlikely that this disaster was due to human error. Hopefully we will have more information on this soon.”

“Here in Vancouver, we also have the potential for similar disasters to happen. The Acela Cascades service runs through some densely populated parts of Metro Vancouver alongside regional rail services.”

“Well I think that such this happening in Vancouver is very unlikely. The City of Vancouver and the Province have in recent years partnered with CNR to upgrade the safety infrastructure along the Richmond corridor that you mentioned.”

“That’s a relief. Now to turn to PMQs this morning. Prime Minister Jack Layton became involved in several tense exchanges with Opposition Leader Peter Mackay of the Tories and Progressive leader Kathleen Sebelius on a number of topics. What is your read on this?”

“Well I think this goes back to the Prime Minister’s arrogance when it comes to Parliament. His government is the first Social Democratic majority in almost fifty years. Since Social Democrats are so used to having to work with other parties to try and get their agenda passed, this new situation where they can do what they want on their own has them feeling both arrogant about their ability to shape policy as well as in a bit of chaos because they don’t know how to govern by themselves. The fact that this is the situation in Powell House so late into this term is very alarming.”

“Do you think that the Prime Minister’s outburst at Kathleen Sebelius today indicates that the long-rumoured personal animosity between the two of them is in fact real? Or was this just another rude exchange between party leaders?”

“I can’t comment on the exact nature of the relationship between those two, although it does make sense that following the violent disintegration of the SDP-Progressive coalition government in 2013 there would be a bit of spite there. I have to say that a Prime Minister should not hold petty personal grudges against another party’s leader.”

“Backbench Social Democratic MP David Cicilline has made waves in the past in Parliament Square, but his use of the first question of the day to pressure the Prime Minister into supporting a private member’s bill is certainly a stand out. Wouldn’t you agree?”

“Yes I do. The first question has traditionally not been used to discuss major national issues such as GSM rights.”

“Cicilline has repeatedly introduced the Equality Act every year. Why do you think that it was never a priority for the government until now?”

“Well, I have to give credit where it is due. Justice Minister Amy Klobuchar and the rest of the current government have made admirable progress on GSM rights in other ways, including granting the right to adopt to same sex couples and allowing transgender people to serve in the military. I think that the reason no wide ranging workplace and housing discrimination law has been passed is because of how broad it is, there will be a lot of opposition to passing this law from more moderate Social Democrats from the South and Plains.”

“Can the government expect Liberal support for the Equality Act?”

“I believe that Barack Obama and the rest of the party leadership will be open to discussing that with the government. I know that I would like to see something like this bill passed into law.”

“Unfortunately, that’s all the time we have today. Thank you for coming on to talk to us, Mr. Sajjan.”

“It’s always a pleasure, Simi.”

“Next we will be discussing a recent report from the Columbian Housing Ministry on the status of the housing crisis in Metro Vancouver. As always, this is Simi Sara and you’re listening to ABS Radio Vancouver. Vancouver’s news, Vancouver’s voice.”

Interesting to see the merger between the two not taking place!
Like I said in the OP, this is roughly inspired by the old AC threads. I could do something on the history of the political parties as part of the update focusing on them, if there's interest.

Last edited:
I'm going to be taking a bit of a break from AH.com because of some ongoing moderation controversies. I have strong opinions on the matter and don't want to say something that would provoke action, so I will be removing myself from the site.

I will continue to update LHO over on SufficientVelocity and you are all welcome to continue to follow along over there.

Thank you.