Should AH do this

• Yes, of course

• No , not our concern

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The map used as background did not have Mering as a river drawn, so I used this:https://www.google.sk/search?q=anor..._AUIESgB&biw=360&bih=524#imgrc=RcRdcRNFoD6qzM: as a source for its placement, while using Lindefirion map of Anorien :http://wiki.lindefirion.net/Anorien as basis for its internal divisions. The Mouths of the Entwash I was unsure whose were they, and the islands lack any settlement.. Apparently most logical in that case is to unite it with Astirian county

A view of Anórien, Lebennin and Belfalas (including Tolfolas)
upload_2018-1-15_15-43-24.png

Do you have a better resolution to this and the others by chance?
You mean more detail? Well the original map can be found at Lindefirion: Expanded map of Northwestern Middle Earth http://lindefirion.net/maps/north-western_middle-earth.jpg , while I made the map smaller, as even if we add another subdivision (each hamlet getting its own little cadastre), it could still be visible. Actually thats the case of Breeland- each of the villages is shown as a separate division

Rohan:
upload_2018-1-17_19-18-21.png

along with central Gondor.
However I have not found any clear border between Westfold and Westemnet. Neither did I find any clear demarcation of the royal demesne :(

I have found a basemap with counties for Ithilien.
Ithilien.jpg

However, which of these counties remain under Gondorian control at the opening of the LotR? And what with the rest? I believe that Faerdur and Othnir can be assigned to the Nazgul without hesitation, but what about the rest?

What we know is that Henneth Annun is held by Faramirs troops, and I assume Hyarpende is held by Gondor as well.
Should I make Minas Morgul independent of Mordor, or one of its first level subdivisions? Also who controls Southern Ithilien? Mordor(Morgul?) Umbar? Harnen princes?

A lot of the Anduin shore should probably be at least nominally controlled by Gondor, Not sure whether they should still hold any of the Poros valley however.
They should probably still hold a good chunk of Forithilien too along with Arandal county up to Nindalf. Not too sure whether Nindalf itself was ever really inhabited but if it was it was almost certainly not organized.
Harithilien is usually depicted as mostly uninhabited with Haradrim camps mostly in the eastern half, I would assume that if an organized state exists in Northern Harondor they would control some of the Poros valley.
Morgul should probably be integrated into Mordor, But most Mordor controlled territory in Ithilien outside of the Morgul vale would probably be better depicted as ossupied, rather than integrated, same for the haradrim area (excluding potential territory on the Poros).
The way I would do it would be to draw the full map, cut out the Morgul Vale, color the Gondorian areas, then color the Mordor/Haradrim areas and color the rest as uninhabited. The full map would also be useful to anyone who wanted to use the MERP setting (TA 1400-1680).
I'm open to discussing this more if you want.

You mean more detail? Well the original map can be found at Lindefirion: Expanded map of Northwestern Middle Earth http://lindefirion.net/maps/north-western_middle-earth.jpg , while I made the map smaller, as even if we add another subdivision (each hamlet getting its own little cadastre), it could still be visible. Actually thats the case of Breeland- each of the villages is shown as a separate division

Thanks for the link. This is a site I had not looked at before, so was quite informative.

I made some changes to Rohan
upload_2018-1-18_7-11-26.png

I pulled back the border near the Adorn to match the most commonly accepted border.
I drew more defined shapes for Fangorn and Lorien and added the Parth Celebrant.
I also drew all the coasts and rivers In this section and cleaned up a few incorrectly colored pixels around the map.
The basemap oddly seems to be some kind of hybrid between the MERP map and the lower detail Tolkien maps, which messes up the shape of the Parth Celebrant, It uses the MERP Anduin and the MERP coast south of the Gwathlo, The rest of the rivers are taken from one or the other or are missing entirely (Limlaith) the Celebrant is drawn from the Tolkien maps for example which is the main reason that the Parth Celebrant is squashed, I think the mountains are also drawn from the Tolkien maps.

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-18_7-8-54.png
    upload_2018-1-18_7-8-54.png
    16.4 KB · Views: 451
I made some changes to Rohan
View attachment 366026
I pulled back the border near the Adorn to match the most commonly accepted border.
I drew more defined shapes for Fangorn and Lorien and added the Parth Celebrant.
I also drew all the coasts and rivers In this section and cleaned up a few incorrectly colored pixels around the map.
The basemap oddly seems to be some kind of hybrid between the MERP map and the lower detail Tolkien maps, which messes up the shape of the Parth Celebrant, It uses the MERP Anduin and the MERP coast south of the Gwathlo, The rest of the rivers are taken from one or the other or are missing entirely (Limlaith) the Celebrant is drawn from the Tolkien maps for example which is the main reason that the Parth Celebrant is squashed, I think the mountains are also drawn from the Tolkien maps.
Oh yes this looks great... although without the basemap there will be trouble identifying the true borders of Ithilien.
I mean it would to just translate the map at the top into the basemap.
What certainly can be done by me now is Lamedon and Mornan, and maybe even Anfalas.
I believe I have a the subdivisions of Fangorn (do not laugh).
Where on earth are these county maps coming from?

Anorien, Lebennin, Ithilien and Belfalas come from Lindefirion.net/maps.
Rohan counties are done from two sources:
Regarding the Adorn border: are right,
although I just gave that area on the left bank of the river to Rohan because on the MERP map there were no settlements in it, assuming that any human population in the upper Adorn valley would be answerable to some kind of authority in Derwath. Indeed the whole Druwaith-Iaur seems to be empty; those lands are severely depopulated even at the height of Gondorian power
I absolutely haven't realized that the Limlight river is missing.

I really like your progress with keeping the rivers and coasts only, but I believe that the mountain ridges must be kept too as they are the backbone of all Middle Earth maps. They can be just drawn as borders.

Oh yes this looks great... although without the basemap there will be trouble identifying the true borders of Ithilien.
I mean it would to just translate the map at the top into the basemap.
The white area is just standing in for transparency, I have the completed area on a different layer to the basemap.
Could you send me the full basemap?
The Westmarch border does need more consideration, but I need to do some more research on that.
Also, I think Derwath is ruined at this point and has been replaced by Adornas as the capital.
After this is done, it would be a good idea to go back and do the MERP year (can't remember which it is exactly)

The white area is just standing in for transparency, I have the completed area on a different layer to the basemap.
Could you send me the full basemap?
The Westmarch border does need more consideration, but I need to do some more research on that.
Also, I think Derwath is ruined at this point and has been replaced by Adornas as the capital.
After this is done, it would be a good idea to go back and do the MERP year (can't remember which it is exactly)

The forum does not allow me to upload large maps. I am using this map: http://lindefirion.net/maps/north-western_middle-earth.jpg in 1639x2321px resolution.
I have divided the map into tiles, I will send you the central areas used in the game for now:
Lindon
upload_2018-1-18_12-33-8.png

Misty Mts.
upload_2018-1-18_12-33-36.png

Dorwinion
upload_2018-1-18_12-34-5.png

Andrast
upload_2018-1-18_12-34-35.png

Belfalas bay

upload_2018-1-18_12-34-49.png

Mordor:
upload_2018-1-18_12-35-20.png