Los Hijos del Pais v2: A rough outline of a Philippines TL I want to write

The beginning
I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this, but heck, I may as well try to post one of the ideas I've so dearly wanted to write for so long. Also, IDK what the timeframe of a proper revolution would be, especially in a region so far from Spain.

So, the first part of the prologue, the Revolution proper:

So, our story roughly begins in the 1820s. Minor divergences may have occurred before this, but the 1820s are where the butterflies truly begin.

The Kingdom of Spain is weak. Its imperial authority in its colonies has slowly eroded over the decades, and its attempts at maintaining its empire have only continued to erode the central authority's power over it. This combined with the liberal ideals of the Enlightenment flowing in from France and America have made the region ripe for revolt.

The chaos of the Napoleonic Wars is the metaphorical straw that breaks the camel's back. The decade before, the 1810s, has seen the empire start to crumble, and the rest of it is also beginning to revolt.

One area that joins this trend is the Spanish East Indies. Having seen the rest of its empire fall, the Kingdom of Spain has decided to clamp down on those who remain, placing the Philippines, which had long been ruled from Mexico, under its direct control and putting down heavy-handed racial policies favoring Peninsulars over the native Criollos.

In our world, it did so relatively successfully. It suppressed both attempts at independence, and maintained control over the Spanish East Indies for three generations. ITTL, it is a deadly mistake. For these policies, all the Criollo officers and administrators being forcibly removed from the offices that they held loyally for decades, is too much to bear. IOTL they expressed their discontent too early and in too fragmented a fashion. ITTL, they are a bit more patient, and form a plan.

In 1825, the flame of revolution strikes after a couple years of preparation. The former Criollo officers select one of their own as a war leader for the revolution, the young war hero Andres Novales who had fought in the Napoleonic Wars as a mere soldier and returned as a captain, only to be stripped of that title by royal authority.

And so, in the June of that year, he and his fellow officers seized Intramuros with the help of allies within the walls, and declared the Empire of the Philippines, waving the banner of the silver merlion on a red field. They executed both Governor General Martinez and his predecessor de Folgueras, effectively beheading the Spanish government in the Philippines, and in letters written both in Castilian and Tagalog, the revolutionaries declared independence from the tyranny of Spain and incited the rest of the country to do likewise.

Some took up arms in the name of Spain, but more joined the rebellion. Former officers assembled local militias and overthrew the Spanish loyalist garrisons, and former administrators took up positions in government again, this time for the Philippines. Even some Indios and Mestizos and Sangleys joined the fight. Some crews of ships mutinied against their Peninsular captains and began waving the flag of the same flag as the revolutionaries.

By the end of July, the revolutionaries had mostly secured the Tagalog heartland, establishing the beginnings of an independent Philippine state, and began to spread the revolution across the archipelago. At the same time, a motley assembly of petty officers and administrators and even some native priests from all castes of the Philippines and all across Luzon prepared to write a constitution, for Andres Novales, though acclaimed emperor by his peers, saw that the authority of force was not enough to sustain a revolution. It would need a foundation, something that would sustain this revolution beyond a mere rebellion. And even as he served faithfully against the French in the Napoleonic Wars, he was inspired by their liberal ideals, which he stewed upon after he was stripped of command earlier in the decade. So began the long process of establishing a proper state.

But first, a war had to be won. Novales led a force north to Ilocos, while a fellow officer of his led another force east into Bicol. Only a couple decades before, the Ilocanos had rebelled against Spain in what was called the Basi revolt, or the Ambaristo revolt. Certainly they had no great love of Spain for what they did, and after another two months, Vigan and Laoag began waving both the red standard and the standard of the Basi revolt: a flag of red and yellow stripes.

In the meanwhile, the Revolutionary Fleet had been organized and sailed south, where they discovered the ongoing Dagohoy revolt against the Spaniards. With the aid of the fleet, and a renewed spirit of revolt, the Bohol Free State drove out the Spanish garrisons, and a few of its leaders sailed north to join the writing of the Filipino Constitution, while the Boholanos began to reorganize their Free State.

And so it continued, the revolution's flames spreading across the Philippine islands, all calling for independence against Spain...

The beginning, part II
It is still 1825, but much has changed over the past few months. The so-called Empire of the Philippines is composed of most of Luzon: the Tagalog heartland, the Ilocos, and parts of Bicol. In addition, the Revolutionary Navy has only grown larger, with more ship mutinies declaring their allegiance to it and shipwrights in Manila building new ships for the Empire, while some areas in the Visayas have started rebelling against Spain, the island of Bohol being one of the earlier islands to join it. The loyalists are in disarray with the head of government in Manila cut off, and their main bastions are Cebu and Zamboanga, where the remaining high officials are trying to rally and call for aid from the motherland, which is unfortunately for them far away and dealing with a host of issues in the rest of the once-mighty empire.

The revolutionaries over the course of the past few months have established a formal state and begun to build laws built on the principles of the Enlightenment, as encouraged by Luis Rodriguez Varela who had returned from his exile to Dapitan (IOTL he was exiled from the Philippines completely for 'conspiring against the ruling authority') and by other Criollo officials like the Palmero brothers, but they have run into some problems with the Church. Thankfully, the Archdiocese of Manila was empty at the time, and the acting Archbishop was an easily co-opted (or at least easily cowed) friar. Still, the Church was still a conservative organization, owning much of the land in the Spanish East Indies, and they were the main arm of colonial administration in the Philippines, their power perhaps outweighing even that of the secular arm. Novales took pains to soften the blows against the Church, but the blows did come, in the form of much land being seized from the Church, and the Constitution was shaping up to be a relatively secular one, allowing a freedom of conscience which was intolerable to the more conservative friars. The Church's resistance to all this reform did much to hinder the progress of the revolution, and the first setbacks came with the First Battle of Cebu, where the revolutionary forces were driven back by the Spanish loyalists.

Still, the revolution continued, and the Filipinos gained more and more ground even with the setbacks. By the middle of 1826, much of the archipelago had been united under the Red Standard, Cebu and Zamboanga the last major holdouts of Spanish rule, and the Constitution of the First Republic of the Philippines had been written, somewhat more conservative than its original conception but still liberal in spirit. The first duly elected High Consul of the Philippines was Luis Rodriguez Varela, the statesman who did the most to contribute to the writing of the Constitution, and when Novales returned to Manila, he took his sword and surrendered it to him, setting the precedent of civilian control of the military. Varela's first act as High Consul was to give control of the military to General Novales, who accepted his duty and continued to fight, seeing his duty to its end.

It is August 1827. A fleet has arrived from Spain, hastily assembled to reconquer the rebellious colonies, but still deadly. Facing them, the Revolutionary Fleet, led by an admiral who had been acclaimed as captain in a mutiny and had spent the last year and a half sailing the seas of the Philippines and fighting battles against Spanish loyalists.

It is a hard-fought series of battles, but ultimately, the Revolutionary Fleet wins, and the Spanish admiral formally surrenders on October 5, the Feast of Our Lady of La Naval, 180 years to the day the Filipinos fought against another foreign enemy and triumphed against all odds.

A few months later, Novales finally takes Cebu, and receives the surrender of the garrison of Zamboanga.

A few more months later, the diplomats arrive, and a treaty is negotiated, recognizing the independence and territorial integrity of the newly-established Republic of the Philippines. This is the Treaty of London, and the day it is signed is June 12, 1829.

Last edited:
Where to from this
Okay, so that prologue's done. That's the rough outline of the revolution proper. From there, I'd explore the development of the Philippines as an independent actor in Southeast Asia and its relations with the rest of the world. I'd explore the tensions between the various walks of life in Philippine society. I'd try to make it plausible, and see how the Philippines, as an independent and Asian republic, would react across generations to the chaos and developments in Europe. I'd look at how other Asian nations would see this country and the culture it develops.

[Removing this because spoilers on what could happen to the Western world]

So yeah. Anyone have thoughts on this? Am I being too idealistic? Am I heavily underestimating or underestimating anything here?

Last edited:
Not bad, actually.

Although I think if you need to develop further your potential scenario, just go to the Forum of the Test Threads and starting developing your TL.

Just like I currently do, four to five days a week.

Not bad, actually.

Although I think if you need to develop further your potential scenario, just go to the Forum of the Test Threads and starting developing your TL.

Just like I currently do, four to five days a week.

Yeah, I'm trying that now.

I still have some issues, like how this newly-born Republic would deal with the Muslim sultanates in Mindanao which are now technically under their authority. And that might tie in to how the new-born Philippines would respond to, say, the Java War that has been happening in the south. I'm still wondering how the Criollos are going to establish this Republic. I need all the help and advice I can get.

Yeah, I'm trying that now.

I still have some issues, like how this newly-born Republic would deal with the Muslim sultanates in Mindanao which are not technically under their authority. And that might tie in to how the new-born Philippines would respond to, say, the Java War that has been happening in the south. I'm still wondering how the Criollos are going to establish this Republic. I need all the help and advice I can get.
You can bog that down into a multi-decade war/insurgency, along with the politics in it.

Or you can turn it into a princely state.

You can bog that down into a multi-decade war/insurgency, along with the politics in it.

Or you can turn it into a princely state.

The Princely State thing is a possible idea. A liberal detente with the subjugated Muslims who had once been the terror of the archipelago. And maybe the prominent children of the Sultans of Sulu and Maguindanao can be the first students of a new public educational institution as established by Varela with the help of other liberals.

How do the Philippines avoid imperialism here? Britain or France could be taking a keen interest in snapping it up.

More importantly, make sure to butterfly the success of the Meiji Reformation!

How do the Philippines avoid imperialism here? Britain or France could be taking a keen interest in snapping it up.

More importantly, make sure to butterfly the success of the Meiji Reformation!

That is one question I don't know how to answer, but I'll just say they're busy, or maybe neither one wants to 'snap up this morsel' to maintain the balance of power. Though I'd like to justify it more than that, which is why I've posted this here. I definitely think both will be keeping an eye on the region, and British and French ships will be sailing into Manila to trade, especially since the revolutionaries are going to abolish the erstwhile monopoly Spain had to trade earlier than OTL, but IDK.

And definitely, this PoD has its effects on the Meiji Restoration, taking place a generation before mah boi the Emperor is even born. An older tradition of Asian democracy, such as it is, will have consequences.

Reorganizacion, part 1
So the rest of the decade sees Varela continue to preside as High Consul (term limits of the High Consul: four years per election by representatives) and the stabilizing of a proper government. Many institutions had to be established, foremost among them a system of education, which Varela had already begun to outline.

The Constitution formed a government along similar lines to the United States, in order to form a strong government for the following decades.

The language of the Constitution itself was a matter of debate, for its signatories were not just Criollos. There were Indios, Sangleys, and Mestizos of all kinds, all prominent and wanting to guarantee their rights as people, and certainly, under the liberal spirit of Novales and Varela, this caste system was to be abolished. However, they all wondered if Spanish was to be the only tongue used to write the Constitution.

After a long and complicated debate, it was agreed upon that Spanish was to be the national language, but alongside the various major regional tongues. Tagalog would be spoken in the Tagalog provinces, Ilocano in Ilocos, Bicolano in the land of Bicol, Akeanon in Aklan, Cebuano in Cebu, and so on...

For that matter, the debates also included the secularization of the country. Novales himself had softened the blows against the Church. but the blows still came, and many conservatives were concerned about how this new nation would move forward. Even with the Treaty of London in 1829, many friars condemned the newly born republic. Still, the liberals were able to stand firm and established certain protections for freedom of conscience and religion. This would help them with the next problem.

Now, according to the Treaty made, Spain had surrendered all authority over its colonial possessions in the region to the Republic. This gave the administrators and statesmen a bit of a headache. The biggest headache was of course caused by the fact that their Republic now had two Muslim sultanates technically under their sovereignty, and so the Criollos sent delegates south to talk with them, and hope that the Sultans of Sulu and Maguindanao would not cause too many problems...

Last edited:

Deleted member 97083

Europe itself, I'm not sure what would happen. Maybe an earlier German nation? Maybe an earlier Italian one?
I would suggest determinism in Europe and North America so that we directly see the effects of the independent Philippines in Asia radiating outward.

Except for in Spain of course which is going to have political changes due to the defeat.

That being said, an easy way to justify the Philippines not being conquered by an imperialist power, would be to have a war occur in Europe. The Rhine Crisis could be a catalyst.

The connections Philippines may have to the burgeoning nations of Latin America will be interesting to see.

Lists of provinces
Provinces of the Spanish East Indies as they stood in 1823:

Cebu (1565)
Iloilo (1566)
Manila (1571)
Laguna (1571)
Pampanga (1571)
Ilocos (Sur) (1572)
Albay (1574)
Zambales (1578)
Bulacan (1578)
Camarines (1579)
Pangasinan (1580)
Batangas (1581)
Cagayan (1583)
Cavite (1614)
Mindoro (1663)
Leyte (1735)
Bataan (1754)
Samar (1768)
Batanes (1783)
Nueva Ecija (1801)
Ilocos Norte (1818)

Original Provinces of the Philippine Republic:
-Manila
-Catagalogan (The Tagalog Heartland):
--Cavite
--Laguna
--Bulacan
--Nueva Ecija
--Pampanga
--Bataan
-Pangasinan
--Pangasinan
--Zambales
-Ilocos
--Ilocos Sur
--Ilocos Norte
-Cabicolan (The Bicol Region)
--Camarines
--Albay
-Mindoro
-Leyte
-Samar
-Cebu
-Bohol (The Bohol Free State)
-Paragua
-Panay
--Iloilo
--Aclan
--Capiz
--Antique
-Negros
-Zamboanga
-Calagan/Surigao

Last edited:
I would suggest determinism in Europe and North America so that we directly see the effects of the independent Philippines in Asia radiating outward.

Except for in Spain of course which is going to have political changes due to the defeat.

That being said, an easy way to justify the Philippines not being conquered by an imperialist power, would be to have a war occur in Europe. The Rhine Crisis could be a catalyst.

The connections Philippines may have to the burgeoning nations of Latin America will be interesting to see.

Hm. Probably. Though I still want to find a way to make the United States implode before it becomes big enough that it overwhelms everything and everyone else.

And the Rhine Crisis looks a bit late to keep prying eyes away from the Far East. I need something a bit earlier than that, I think.

Deleted member 97083

Hm. Probably. Though I still want to find a way to make the United States implode before it becomes big enough that it overwhelms everything and everyone else.
Perhaps make the US an enemy of the British instead of an ally which keeps the biggest two powers occupied. The US could also detente with Mexico perhaps after an earlier "Maximilian" situation. With the US only having Washington and Oregon, they have less interest in Pacific expansion.

And the Rhine Crisis looks a bit late to keep prying eyes away from the Far East. I need something a bit earlier than that, I think.
Maybe the Great Powers use the Greek War of Independence to try and pick apart the Ottomans, but end up fighting over who gets what, which ultimately escalates into a Napoleonic-scale war in Germany. That could start in the 1820s.

Perhaps make the US an enemy of the British instead of an ally which keeps the biggest two powers occupied. The US could also detente with Mexico perhaps after an earlier "Maximilian" situation. With the US only having Washington and Oregon, they have less interest in Pacific expansion.

Interesting possibility... Still, I wonder if I could just use Andrew Jackson to stir up some chaos and get him to single-handedly cause a permanent rift in the United States, leading to an earlier Civil War that coincides with an ATL version of the revolutions of 1848.

The thing with these 19th century PoDs is that butterflies fly much more quickly than they do in earlier periods. The consequence of a far more globalized world.

Maybe the Great Powers use the Greek War of Independence to try and pick apart the Ottomans, but end up fighting over who gets what, which ultimately escalates into a Napoleonic-scale war in Germany. That could start in the 1820s.

Hm. So making the Ottomans lose more in that war? Hm, yet another interesting possibility.

But gods, it's hard to know what the timescale of a revolution should be. Like, all these other revolutions take place over the course of a decade, while I've just made this revolution begin and end within the course of a few years, from 1825 to 1827 at best. I'm not sure how realistic that is, especially considering that this is an archipelago on the other side of the world.

Okay, so I've changed the second part a bit, so that the Battles of La Naval take place August to October 1827, and the Treaty of London is negotiated in 1829. Still a bit rushed, but eh.

The independence of the new-born Philippine Republic was noticed and acknowledged by the great powers of Europe, but overlooked thanks to the developing chaos far closer to home.

It's 1827, and Ferdinand VII of Spain has basically lost all of the Spanish Empire. His heavy-handed reaction to a changing world has lost him practically everything save his crown in Spain, and even that is tenuous. He has traveled to Tarragona personally, hearing of the Catalonian rioters who have practically taken control of the region. He tries to appease them, promising amnesty, though his track record of following through on his promises is spotty to say the least.

He is killed. No one is sure how, some claim it was an assassination, others say people in the crowd called him a coward and liar and incited the crowd to kill the king, which they did, tearing him apart in a gruesome display.

In either case, Ferdinand VII of Spain is dead without issue. In his place, his brother Carlos, the rightful heir, ascends the throne. However, being even more of a heavy-handed reactionary than his brother, he has very little popular support. Some even want to replace him with his younger brother Duke Francisco, which added to the gruesome affair in Catalonia causes a Second War of the Spanish Succession, liberals siding with Francisco and many reactionaries siding with Carlos. This civil war lasts for quite a bit, and causes much grief on both sides. The great powers of Europe watch carefully.

And then there is the chaos of the Ottoman Empire.

From rebellion to rebellion, the House of Osman has already lost much and continues to lose much. With three powers fighting on the side of Greece, and the rebellion of Muhammad Ali Pasha, the Ottoman Empire is on the brink of collapse, and the only question left is how far it will fall.

The only reason it is not partitioned is because of a new tension between the great powers of Europe over the fate of Greece. A tension which leads into yet another war called the Danubian War, for lack of a better name. Britain and Austria declare war on Russia for unwarranted aggression, which prompts France and Prussia to align themselves with Russia, all the while the Ottoman Empire finds itself with just a little bit of breathing room with official British forces being withdrawn from Greece.

---

Eh, I can't think of anything. :p

Snapshots of the Revolution I

"I was never the most devout man, though I believe certainly in the blood and the agony of Our Lord. Still, I am a sinner, and have done much in my life that I regret, and I pray ever for forgiveness for my weaknesses and sins. Yet this at least I cannot regret.

I was conscripted into a loyalist force, to fight against the so-called heretical revolutionaries. I did as I was told, and followed my captain, though in those chaotic days, with all the leaders overturned, it seemed the very world was coming apart at the seams.

And then the Generalissimo [Novales] came. We were assembled at Manaoag where the loyalists rallied, to protect the holy sanctuary of Our Lady. We had heard many rumors about the heretics, how they seized the land of the Holy Mother Church, how they despoiled the churches and killed priests. Those rumors now I cannot believe, nor can I understand why we believed them.

We fought against him as best we could, but we were outmanned. Our captain was killed, and as lieutenant I led my surviving comrades to the Basilica to take sanctuary, or at least to put up a last stand against the so-called godless heretics who would bring hellfire upon us all.

But the Generalissimo was not what we expected. He seized no property, killed no priests, and knelt before the Basilica of Our Lady in simple prayer.

And she appeared. I saw with my own eyes. Our Lady appeared before the Generalissimo. We had prepared to guard the Basilica with our lives, and we saw the Blessed Virgin give a rosary to the Generalissimo with her own hands. She had removed her own crown and prayed beside him, for him.

It was a sign. We surrendered to the Generalissimo, indeed we swore fealty to him, and I became a captain in the army of the revolution, in service to the republic, and as news spread across Pangasinan, many more of our comrades joined us..."

Last edited: