Los Angeles Tank Rampage Question

Due to the Posse Comitatus Act, would federal troops be able to respond? It’s not an insurrection. State level guard? Would anyone authorize the use of real anti-tank weapons? Would not be a pretty picture on the nightly news if they missed with a TOW or AT-4. Maybe try and trap the tank with heavy construction equipment? Or try and clear the area and let it run out of fuel.

Posse Comititus would not be in play at the time because they thought it was an military person in the tank. This makes it a totally military matter along the line of Mutiny or theft of property to commit a crime against persons. Posse Comitatus only applies to civilian and with out meeting certain criteria the military is not able to be involved.

MCRD San Diego had plenty of AT4's available at the ranges used to instruct the use of them. Depending on where they are, SWAT sends a copter to pick up an instructor at the range with a couple of them and bring them in to attack the tank.

I don't remember exactly where it was in the San Diego area, but some parts are on military reservations, USMC/Navy/USCG/US Army, even if people think they are in a civilian area.

Yeah, the police will stop the tank--how much damage will he do before then (granted, he couldn't fire off a few rounds, given that he couldn't unlock the main armament because he didn't have the key), though?

Ever seen the movie Tank? (Yeah, I know the movie itself is implausible, but it's a damn cool movie; plus, James Garner is a badass...) Yeah, it'll be like that at first, but the police will figure out how to stop it...

Its a tank. They are made for going over difficult obstacles. Bulldozers or heavy equipment wouldn't stop a tank if it wanted to go.

I was sort of thinking of CAT D9's or larger :) not sure how common they are in Southern California :)

Large "off highway" rock trucks used in highway construction might also have some possibilities (especially if they were loaded with Rocks)

marathag

Banned
Overthinking it.
Motorcycle rider, toss M14 Thermite Grenades on the back deck.
Wait, that engine will stop shortly.
Then it's a waiting game, unless you want to kill the schmuck, toss one on the driver's hatch

Overthinking it.
Motorcycle rider, toss M14 Thermite Grenades on the back deck.
Wait, that engine will stop shortly.
Then it's a waiting game, unless you want to kill the schmuck, toss one on the driver's hatch
I wonder if SWAT teams typically have thermite grenades :)

Plenty of stuff the police have can stop a tank. Once again, they don’t need to defeat the armor, just the engine. Demolition charges from the bomb squad placed on the engine bay can certainly kill that tank.
Are you serious? The Police are not military units, They civilian law enforcements the heaviest equipment they would have would be AR15 assault rifles and MP5s. And that is SWAT only.
I wonder if SWAT teams typically have thermite grenades :)
most of what you guys are talking about is ASB. the bomb squad does not carry Thermite grenades or any kind of explosives outside of what they need to do their jobs. And what they do have would not stop a tank.

Are you serious? The Police are not military units, They civilian law enforcements the heaviest equipment they would have would be AR15 assault rifles and MP5s. And that is SWAT only.

most of what you guys are talking about is ASB. the bomb squad does not carry Thermite grenades or any kind of explosives outside of what they need to do their jobs. And what they do have would not stop a tank.

I guarantee you that any major city’s bomb squad will have C4. They don’t need any guns to stop this tank. Just a demo charge or two tossed on the engine bay. They Police don’t need to “kill a tank”. They just need to render is mostly unarmored engine inoperable. And given that the driver can’t see behind the tank, they can very easily sneak up on that engine.

What about breaching charges ? Could a number of them be used to at least break a track ?

this happened less then twenty miles from both Camp Pendelton and Miramar Naval Air Station (Now a Marine Air Station) They for could of got something to stop it there. But lucky this guy really did not know how to drive it. Funny thing a few years later a guy stole a city bus and drove it all over on the highway and they finally stopped it by using road spikes which would not stop a M60 tank

Geon

Donor
I have real doubts about sending a Cobra after the tank in a residential area. That is a recipe for disaster.

Uh, that is potentially much worse considering your average gunship cannon spread.
I suppose it depends how close the helicopter can get to the tank. Maybe they can also use non explosive rounds as well. If that doesn't work use a missle ?