Los Angeles Tank Rampage Question

What would have happened if Shaun Nelson had gotten the tank off the Median line before Officer Paul Paxton could climb onto the Tank.

USMC Super Cobras are just up the coast at Camp Pendleton and they have magazines full of TOW and Hellfires right there. Also USMC anti armor units are there also.

Deleted member 94680

USMC Super Cobras are just up the coast at Camp Pendleton and they have magazines full of TOW and Hellfires right there. Also USMC anti armor units are there also.

Do USMC Camps hold stocks of live ammo at all times?

Even then, it’s going to be a hour or so (give or take) for an armed chopper to get into the sky.

Why would you need a gunship? With no other weapons than ramming stuff and very limited visibility, just start throwing Molotov’s on the engine bay until you burn it out.

Deleted member 94680

More professional than having a Cobra kill a tank driven by a civilian with TOW in a major American city.

Probably a clean shot with a BGM 71 or similar is the best bet. Or some kind of mobility kill on the tracks? Immobilise him and wait it out?

I just think lobbing bottles of flaming petrol into the tank doesn’t look very “modern” for the US military.

Probably a clean shot with a BGM 71 or similar is the best bet. Or some kind of mobility kill on the tracks? Immobilise him and wait it out?

I just think lobbing bottles of flaming petrol into the tank doesn’t look very “modern” for the US military.

It would look very effective for a police force. You could also do something like toss a simple C4 charge on the engine bay for the same effect. They don’t need to defeat the armor. They just have to defeat the engine. It’s his only weapon and from the driver compartment he can only really see to the front and even then not well.

Probably what ever method is fastest and reasonably likely to stop the threat without un due risk to by standers would have been used.

(Ie I suspect an air strike with cluster bombs, napalm or fuel air explosives would have been unlikely.)

What would have happened if Shaun Nelson had gotten the tank off the Median line before Officer Paul Paxton could climb onto the Tank.
Maybe

A) the police call for federal help (it is a bit un clear to me how that process would work, maybe if the request involves stopping a stolen military asset some of the process could have been streamlined ?)

and

B) smoke or CS gas is used by a swat team to try and disable / disorient the driver while they work out how to improvise some form of demolition charge that can at least disable the tank ?

Maybe try and box the tank in with large bulldozers or other heavy equipment ?

Last edited:

If the military is formally involved I doubt they will be using petrol bombs.

Deleted member 94680

B) smoke or CS gas is used by a swat team to try and disable / disorient the driver while they work out how to improvise some form of demolition charge that can at least disable the tank ?

Apparently OTL they discarded the idea of using CS, due to the risk of the tank remaining in motion with the driver incapacitated but the tank full of CS. They felt there was a risk the tank would keep rolling, uncontrolled, but they wouldn’t be able to get in and stop it whilst the CS was active.

I assume from this that they had CS, but no respirators?

I imagine if the military is involved they'd refuse to use cobras and simply get some AT-4s which would be readily available and much easier to get clearance to use from all USMC bases and set an ambush. Quickest way to do it. Cobras would take too long.

Due to the Posse Comitatus Act, would federal troops be able to respond? It’s not an insurrection. State level guard? Would anyone authorize the use of real anti-tank weapons? Would not be a pretty picture on the nightly news if they missed with a TOW or AT-4. Maybe try and trap the tank with heavy construction equipment? Or try and clear the area and let it run out of fuel.

Maybe try and box the tank in with large bulldozers or other heavy equipment ?
Its a tank. They are made for going over difficult obstacles. Bulldozers or heavy equipment wouldn't stop a tank if it wanted to go.
I imagine if the military is involved they'd refuse to use cobras and simply get some AT-4s which would be readily available and much easier to get clearance to use from all USMC bases and set an ambush. Quickest way to do it. Cobras would take too long.
actually a Cobra was already on the Tarmac and loaded with Tow Missiles and waiting for the signal to go during the incident.
Due to the Posse Comitatus Act, would federal troops be able to respond? It’s not an insurrection. State level guard? Would anyone authorize the use of real anti-tank weapons? Would not be a pretty picture on the nightly news if they missed with a TOW or AT-4. Maybe try and trap the tank with heavy construction equipment? Or try and clear the area and let it run out of fuel.
not sure how it would work but nothing the Police had could stop the Tank so the Government would have had good reason to ask for the military to step in due to the danger that the Tank came as. The Tank wasnt loaded but it could still do a lot of damage if it had gotten free which is another reason that the military would have been called in and the Use of a cobra is what the situation called for

Its a tank. They are made for going over difficult obstacles. Bulldozers or heavy equipment wouldn't stop a tank if it wanted to go.

actually a Cobra was already on the Tarmac and loaded with Tow Missiles and waiting for the signal to go during the incident.

not sure how it would work but nothing the Police had could stop the Tank so the Government would have had good reason to ask for the military to step in due to the danger that the Tank came as. The Tank wasnt loaded but it could still do a lot of damage if it had gotten free which is another reason that the military would have been called in and the Use of a cobra is what the situation called for

Plenty of stuff the police have can stop a tank. Once again, they don’t need to defeat the armor, just the engine. Demolition charges from the bomb squad placed on the engine bay can certainly kill that tank.