Looking for Interesting (Post-1900) Latin American and African PODs

Okay, so I've noticed that most timelines here don't really focus on Latin America and Africa except from an American or European foreign policy perspective, and they don't seem to exist when the USA and Europe aren't interested in them.

PODs from these two continents and one non-continent region seem vastly under-represented.

So I figured I'd create not one but two threads for PODs in Latin America and Africa that originate in these regions and are not caused by the foreign policy of the United States or the European imperialist powers.

This thread will be for interesting Post-1900 PODs, the other will be for interesting Pre-1900 PODs. My hope they will become a good source of inspiration for various ah.com users interested in creating timelines that focus on Latin America or Africa.

Sadly, my knowledge of these regions is basically limited to "Mexico used to be an empire, Paraguay was batshit insane in the most badass way possible, and Rhodesia was racist as fuck", so I don't think I'll be able to properly kick this one off with a POD or two of my own.

Somewhat well known but seemingly underused in actual TLs, we have Operacion Soberania, a planned Argentine invasion of Chile in 1978 over disputed territory that was cancelled almost literally at the last second. Casualty projections on both sides were in the tens of thousands.

Somewhat well known but seemingly underused in actual TLs, we have Operacion Soberania, a planned Argentine invasion of Chile in 1978 over disputed territory that was cancelled almost literally at the last second. Casualty projections on both sides were in the tens of thousands.

IIRC, there was also an incident when Cuba attempted to invade the Dominican Republic. Wonder what somebody could do with open war between the two countries...