Look to the West Volume VII: The Eye Against the Prism

I smell a heritage point of controversy over this.

The Tsar approves of this post. If the intervention in Belgium becomes a heritage point of controversy, one won't be able to call out the brutal suppression of protests in favour of an unpopular and discredited elite and the subjugation of Belgium for what it was. That would be Societism! Instead one would have to give equal attention to the viewpoint that it was a legal and legitimate police operation to restore order and stop French imperialism.

The Tsar approves of this post. If the intervention in Belgium becomes a heritage point of controversy, one won't be able to call out the brutal suppression of protests in favour of an unpopular and discredited elite and the subjugation of Belgium for what it was. That would be Societism! Instead one would have to give equal attention to the viewpoint that it was a legal and legitimate police operation to restore order and stop French imperialism.

Clearly it was an act of encirclement by the increasingly belligerent Russian government, against the Free Peoples of Europe(TM)!

This statement was approved by the governments of France and Germany. Other interpretations are approved of by other countries, and are all equally valid - please check your own countries' policies regarding interpretations of HPOC's, and ensure that all actions are in keeping with the restrictions of reasonable violence and physical contact appropriate to your locality.

xsampa

Banned
Sorbia could be another Russian forward base created to “liberate the Lusatians from their German oppressors” during the *Franco-Russian War.

also, if the Bouclier includes Scandinavia, Russian support for Jutish Independence is also possible.

come to think of it, the Black Twenties as several interlocked conflicts makes the ASN an antiCombine and antiRussian alliance. These are:
  • Combine expansion
  • Russian/Persian/Chinese Wars in India
  • France-Russia War
  • Ottoman Revolution
These conflicts would make opposition to Russia and the Combine paramount and would tie together the Philadelphia Bloc, the Bouclier, China and her vassals/colonies, Guinea, Bengal, Bisnaga and Persia into a global defensive alliance. Diversitarianism would become the rationale for it.

the status of colonies, in particular:
  1. Persian East Africa
  2. Scandinavian Mosambique
  3. Italian Gaza
  4. English Natal
  5. French Arguin
  6. English Coorg
  7. Chinese Yapon
  8. Chinese Guntoor
Will be an issue especially since no power claims no settler colonies as integral parts of itself.

speaking of colonies, outside of the repressive Belgian and Russian empires, it will be likely that with the chaos of the Black Twenties, some colonies will become independent.

Last edited:

Thande

Donor
I am pleased to announce that Look to the West Volume IV: Cometh the Hour... is now available for download from Amazon!

1582808031183.png

As noted above, if you are not able to purchase the book outright, please bear in mind I make a lot of my royalties off Kindle Unlimited, so reading it that way is fine by me too!

Thande

Donor
I am pleased to announce that Look to the West Volume IV: Cometh the Hour... is now available for download from Amazon!

View attachment 526384

As noted above, if you are not able to purchase the book outright, please bear in mind I make a lot of my royalties off Kindle Unlimited, so reading it that way is fine by me too!
NB due to questions asked elsewhere - currently we're not getting the internal navigation / contents page displayed properly because Amazon is awful, but I am told this will be fixed in a few days max, and if you buy it now you will get the fixed version automatically when your Kindle updates.

Bulldoggus

Banned
So, a few takeaways from these last few chapters.
  1. The Las Estrellas school pretty much wrapping around until it becomes a key influence of Diversitarianism seems to me a lot like just about every Trotskyist with a brain becoming a Neo-Con. Interesting stuff.
  2. Seems like Tayloe and Fouracre are a study of contrasts, with the former energetic and charismatic but ineffective and insubstantial and the latter bright and not untalented but a cold fish. Interesting to see the seeds of political crisis brewing in the ENA, with the Supremacist and Liberal groupings beginning to groan under pressure.
  3. The logistics of the ENA Parliament must be a freaking bear. Even best case scenario, it would likely take a month to get from Australia to Fredricksburg, and will continue that way until good passenger aircraft, well, takes off. And of such a route would also be no fun in loud early aircraft. Might make sense for them to hold the elections there a week or two early so the Members can make their way out.

NB due to questions asked elsewhere - currently we're not getting the internal navigation / contents page displayed properly because Amazon is awful, but I am told this will be fixed in a few days max, and if you buy it now you will get the fixed version automatically when your Kindle updates.
Good to know

Thande

Donor
Might make sense for them to hold the elections there a week or two early so the Members can make their way out.
Remember that until 1960 in OTL, Maine held its Congressional elections two months before the rest of the USA (hence 'as Maine goes, so goes the nation', everyone was watching to see what clues the early elections held). This was only abolished by the 83rd amendment to Maine's constitution passed by referendum in 1957: https://legislature.maine.gov/legis/lawlib/lldl/constitutionalamendments/index.html So your suggestion is certainly not unrealistic!

(Thanks for your other comments which are very interesting!)

Remember that until 1960 in OTL, Maine held its Congressional elections two months before the rest of the USA (hence 'as Maine goes, so goes the nation', everyone was watching to see what clues the early elections held). This was only abolished by the 83rd amendment to Maine's constitution passed by referendum in 1957: https://legislature.maine.gov/legis/lawlib/lldl/constitutionalamendments/index.html So your suggestion is certainly not unrealistic!

I mean, the ENA’s electoral system probably allows the Emperor/Lord Deputy to dissolve Parliament before the end of the term. So, even if something like that were implemented for Cygnia it would not account for this sort of dissolution of Parliament.

On the other hand, I’ve read about OTL proposals to include colonial representation in British Parliament, and some of them do account for this by making colonial seats having strictly fixed terms. Maybe that would work for Cygnia.

Last edited:

Thande

Donor
I mean, the ENA’s electoral system probably allows the Emperor/Lord Deputy to dissolve Parliament before the end of the term. So, even if something like that were implemented for Cygnia it would not account for this sort of dissolution of Parliament.

On the other hand, I’ve read about OTL proposals to include colonial representation in British Parliament, and some of them do account for this by making colonial seats having strictly fixed terms. Maybe that would work for Cygnia.
That's true, a snap dissolution would be hard to reconcile with this - but that's also a good precedent.

In practice, it might be an informal thing where the general election is rarely contested in Cygnia unless it's at an expected time, but then by-elections happen midterm. Not unlike how the UK had ministerial by-elections, but these were often uncontested.

I’ve been re-reading parts of this TL, and I’m struck by the similarities of the Dashwoods to the great Metis leader Louis Riel. Similar to Joseph Dashwood in that Riel wanted an independent state towards the end of his life (earlier, of course, he wanted and got negotiated the formation of province of Manitoba). And, of course Louis Riel was executed by the Canadian government, but that didn’t stop him from, even at the time, being viewed as a martyr by many. And similar to Freedom Dashwood in that Louis Riel had some unusual theological views, calling himself the Prophet David towards the end of his life.

Was that intentional?

I've also been rereading the older chapters, and oh my god I can't believe I forgot the Dashwoods collaborated with the Jacobins. God, they used to be such worms. And this from someone who's still kinda sad about Hoche dying and invalidating everything (the tech! the Burgundy canal!) the Jacobins had achieved up to that point. The Jacobins had to work to be pure evil, all the Hellfire Club ever did was play Satanist and offer up their neighbors for the maraude.

Last edited: