Look to the West Volume VII: The Eye Against the Prism

That's a good argument, but they might also be afraid of favouring one cultural tradition over another, so deliberately going with something "neutral" (rather than strictly "rational") would be the motivation.

I mean, the Novalatina thing is already demonstrative of the fact that, despite all of its cries that it’s internationalist, the Combine is in truth Eurocentric in its thinking. So on that basis it might simply stress the Gregorian calendar above all else and stress everyone who disagrees as nationalists.

That's a good argument, but they might also be afraid of favouring one cultural tradition over another, so deliberately going with something "neutral" (rather than strictly "rational") would be the motivation.
I don't see this as being an issue for them since their entire argument is that cultural diversity is evil. So their not favoring one group over the other because to them they shouldn't be separated to begin with. Adopting the most widespread calender system is only for the sake of pragmatism, while accommodating for every ethnic group would seem irrational.

It seems unlikely but I hope the Societists go for base six(senary) rationalised measurements as their universal system. Diversitarians certainly aren't going to near standardised measurements, and decimalisation smacks of Jacobin republics which is a massive turn-off for Societists.

(6^2)36 hours of 36 mins of 36 seconds results in hours, minutes, & seconds that are very similar to the current system. 1 s-hour = 40 real mins, 1 s-minute = 67 real seconds, 1 s-seconds = 1.85 real seconds. It wouldn't be nearly as jarring as decimal time. 365 days is also somewhat friendlier to senarisation than decimalistion, and 12 months looks more rational in senary than decimal. Maybe peg 6 special days in the year, and count how days until/past that special day it is (which actually works out to be 12 months of ~30 days + the 6 special days, so it's basically the normal calendar).

Maybe they'd take inspiration from Societist Kongo, since Congolese languages use senary number systems.

I wonder how the Societist will handle time zones. I would expect they'd just use on Universal time that all humanity abides to. And Societists would just get used to noon being whatever time noon happens to be where they are.

The issue is which latitude gets to have noon at noon? Zon1Urb1 probably couldn't get away with making it their latitude, but maybe they'll stick in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean so only an uninhabited patch of Greenland gets noon at noon, but it's also helpfully exactly 30 degrees ahead of Zon1Urb1 so their noon is only 3 s-hours/2 real hours off.

Unrelated question: Does anyone think immigrants will have an easier time under Diversitarianism compared to OTL?

Diversitarian nations' abundant state-sponsored ethnic enclaves should increase economic mobility and lower the social costs for immigration: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_enclave#Theories

I suspect it depends on which country you are talking about.

California seems to be based on "assimilate into the melting pot, but remember your past as well".

Anglo-American Diversitarian seems to be based on "immigrate, but do not assimilate. Also, you must live in your ethnic quarter". The ethnic enclaves as you mention.

I could see at least some Diversitarian countries positively encourage immigration, from as many sources as possible, to increase their country's diversity.

Others may have a patronising "more diverse than thou" attitude.

Others still may actively discourage immigration, and even emigration - especially Russia. If every nation is sacred and inviolable, then to enter from other nation, or to leave to another, is to dilute the nation.

xsampa

Banned
I suspect it depends on which country you are talking about.

California seems to be based on "assimilate into the melting pot, but remember your past as well".

Anglo-American Diversitarian seems to be based on "immigrate, but do not assimilate. Also, you must live in your ethnic quarter". The ethnic enclaves as you mention.

I could see at least some Diversitarian countries positively encourage immigration, from as many sources as possible, to increase their country's diversity.

Others may have a patronising "more diverse than thou" attitude.

Others still may actively discourage immigration, and even emigration - especially Russia. If every nation is sacred and inviolable, then to enter from other nation, or to leave to another, is to dilute the nation.
What about French

So I'm a little bit embarrassed to ask this now since we're so far in, but what exactly are optel networks? How do the work and why didn't they happen in OTL?

I've been assuming that they were lighthouses sending signals up until this point.

So I'm a little bit embarrassed to ask this now since we're so far in, but what exactly are optel networks? How do the work and why didn't they happen in OTL?

I've been assuming that they were lighthouses sending signals up until this point.

They're semaphore/optical telegraph systems. They existed in OTL, but since the study of electricity is comparitively less advanced, the optical systems had more time to develop and become established before getting superseded by the electrical telegraph.

xsampa

Banned
Maybe France will incorporate a non-settler colony (Guiana or Arguin) to create a single French identity