Look to the West Volume VII: The Eye Against the Prism

Also Westafrica, Yamato, Congo, Ethiopia, Matetwa, Natal, Sofala, Gaza, Eritrea, the Eternal State, Obock, Yemen, Rajastan, Gujarat, Chola, Delhi, Nepal, Siam, Cygnia, Perousie, Mauré, Mauréville, Johor, Danubia, Courland, Portugal

We do not know about both Siam and Congo, there was suspicion both may end part of the Combine (also, I don't think we know anything about Johor's fate).

Clearly the fact that (most of) Platinea happens to be Zone 1 just screams that some bias exists.
I am under the impression that numbering of cities within a Zone follows a discernible pattern, probably by decreasing population. For instance, Buenos Aires and Cordoba are Urb1 and Urb2 respectively in Zone 1, Sao Paulo and Rosario Urb1 and Urb4 in Zone 3 (suggesting that Parana River is the border between Zones 1 and 3), Batavia Urb1 in Zone 7. This seems consistent with a ranking by population (or some other comparable "objective" measure of significance), although Valdivia being Urb2 in Zone 14 may imply alternative explanations (but we don't know how much of Chile is part of Zone 14 - maybe it is the zone of Patagonia and *Antarctica, huge but sparsely populated, and Valdivia just happens to be its second largest population centre; or Valdivia may be just more important ITTL relative to, for instance, Valparaiso).
Tambora being Mont1 in Zone 7 suggests that mountains are not numbered by height, but even then, there are multiple explanations: for some odd reason, they are going by pre-eruption height, which seems weird even by Societist standards, or perhaps it is still the highest peak within (formerly?) Combine-controlled Indonesia (or the part thereof falling under Zone 7 anyway). Or they called it Mont1 for whatever other reason.
I think that the official Societist explanation for that is not that its a jerarquic order but just the chronological order in which they got to "liberate" the areas. Is highly implied that everything related with Societists already planning the order of the Zones is just Diversitarian's revisionism.

Last edited:
I think that the official Societist explanation for that is not that its a jerarquic order but just the chronological order in which they got to "liberate" the areas. Is highly implied that everything having to do with Societists already planning the order of the Zones is just Diversitarian's revisionism.

It's also possible that they have changed the numbering system for the zones, or at least hadn't finalised the system until later.

I think that the official Societist explanation for that is not that its a jerarquic order but just the chronological order in which they got to "liberate" the areas. Is highly implied that everything related with Societists already planning the order of the Zones is just Diversitarian's revisionism.
Where is it implied about zones being revisions as that’s news to me

Sounds odd. Why would Chile be Zone 14 then?

The Zones could have been re-organised. For all we know, Zone 14 was originally the Pacific Ocean, and has arbitrary bits of land along the Pacific coast of the Americas.
That is true, and indeed it is clear that Chile alone is far too small to be a Zone in its own right, if it is true that only 25 Zones cover the whole globe. Thence my suggestion that Zone 14 may include Patagonia and *Antarctica, but of course there are other possibilities (such as a Zone comprising Chile, Polynesia, New Zealand, and maybe Pérousie, who knows).
It has been stated that Zones are deliberately designed not to be self-sufficient, and I also expect on a general ideological basis that they are designed not to mirror existing borders and indeed to cut across existing polities. This is confirmed to a point since we know that the territory of former UPSA ends up in at least four different Zones whose borders would then cut across areas identifying as Meridian. So Zones that span two sides of an Ocean are believable on the basis of the info we have, also, otherwise, South America would have too many Zones already (four out of 25, with arguably potential room for a fifth one - which I guess to be called Zone 2, if it is there).

Wellll, I supposed that a lot of things were revised by the later historiography .The zones could be one of them

I think it's been established that "factual truth" is something which neither Societists or Diversitarians have much concern about, to put it mildly. Societists openly accept the Platonic Noble Lie, while Diversitarians emphasise individual belief (on the premise that it must differ between individuals), at least regarding history (but I think the epistemological rift runs deeper).
This TL makes truly a great job, as @Skallagrim wrote in the previous thread, in making a plausible, but utterly alien, intellectual environment in which, while the basic starting points are familiar to OTL, the dividing lines (not just in terms of political ideologies but also underlying philosophies and worldviews) are drawn along completely different criteria, and still remain credible (even if very strange) to an OTL reader.
The narrator here is by definition unreliable simply because for anyone writing anything relating to history from TTL, either Societist or Diversitarian, being reliable is entirely beside the point (although being believed matters, I'd guess).

Last edited:
They have to. In several Asian regions, they are on the defensive and have to reinforce what they have. Much of the expansion in India has to happen in the next decades.

According to the map Scandinavia is already "struggling" to avoid becoming a Russian satellite soon after the war.

Plus Persia, China and the ENA.

They showed no interest in helping Germany, and their presence did not cause Russia to divert enough troops to turn the tide. If I were a German politician from LTTW considering a future war, I would be asking myself if there was any reason to expect

It was not necessary. But would France not fight to ensure that there is no big threat bordering them and would Germany not join them anyway?

If I were that politician, I would be for joining the Protocol. Doing so would cost little or nothing, it would oblige a large number of countries to help against a potential Russian attack, and it would give them an incentive to defend the status quo. If Germany were to remain outside it, I would worry that even if France joined, it would join alone, put a lot less effort into helping and, not having any specific obligations, it would be more willing to agree to a peace treaty in which Russia still gets some parts of Germany.

As the troop contributions to the IEF showed, France's alliance is quite Europe-centric.

The IEF was a good deal for France which effectively got a large number of German mercenaries to die fighting for French interests.

At great costs, and with substantial help from Scadinavia and Belgium against Germany which is likely not going to be available next time.
Not to mention they lost in continental East Asia.

Scandinavia only joined after Russia had gained the upper hand, and Belgium waited almost until the end of the war when it was pretty clear that Germany had lost.

On further reflection, I just realised one thing: Rosario (ITTL Zon3Urb4) actually lies on the same side to the Parana River as Buenos Aires (Zon1Urb1) and Cordoba (Zon1Urb2), indeed, it is just in-between the two on the main road and rail connecting them (which must be the case ITTL as well I guess, that route just makes too much sense. Furthermore, ITTL the roads and railroads on the Buenos Aires-Cordoba axis must have been the most critical lifeline of the UPSA, which begs for Rosario to be more important than it would be IOTL).
So my suggestion of the Parana River as a border between Zones 1 and 3 does not work... and furthermore, Zone 1 is cut in two right in the middle of its most important connective highway between its most important cities! I suppose this illustrates how Zones are really meant to be interdependent.

Last edited:
On further reflection, I just realised one thing: Rosario (ITTL Zon3Urb4) actually lies on the same side to the Parana River as Buenos Aires (Zon1Urb1) and Cordoba (Zon1Urb2), indeed, it is just in-between the two on the main road and rail connecting the two (which must be the case ITTL as well I guess, that route just makes too much sense. Furthermore, ITTL the roads and railroads on the Buenos Aires-Cordoba axis must have been the most critical lifeline of the UPSA, which begs for Rosario to be more important than it would be OTL).
So my suggestion of the Parana River as a border between Zones 1 and 3 does not work... and furthermore, Zone 1 is cut in two right in the middle of its most important connective highway between its most important cities! I suppose this illustrates how Zones are really meant to be interdependent.
First off bummer as I thought new post

Second we really need a map to keep all of this straight as I think some are just guesses on zones and urbs

I just wanted to take a moment to show my apretation and gratitude to Thande. In 2007 this was the TL that made me a fan of AH.com, as a Chilean a TL were my land is almost at the center of the world history was mind blowing, and opened a windows to learn, share and have fun that has been really important to me.

Now, 12 years later, Societism is here, and I cant not be more glad.

I just wanted to take a moment to show my apretation and gratitude to Thande. In 2007 this was the TL that made me a fan of AH.com, as a Chilean a TL were my land is almost at the center of the world history was mind blowing, and opened a windows to learn, share and have fun that has been really important to me.

Now, 12 years later, Societism is here, and I cant not be more glad.
Another convert to the Bad Idea D:

I wonder how this will affect how Latinos are perceived - might they be stereotyped as Societists In Disguise? I can certainly see that as a problem if immigration from Mexico to the ENA is anywhere near as prevalent as IOTL. And speaking of Latinos, what about Spanish? Would it be derided as the Societist Language (even though the Societists themselves are into constructed languages)? I know that wasn't the case with Russian, per se, but the hatred for Societism is also far more paranoid and virulent in nature. Thoughts?

Skallagrim

Banned
I wonder how this will affect how Latinos are perceived - might they be stereotyped as Societists In Disguise? I can certainly see that as a problem if immigration from Mexico to the ENA is anywhere near as prevalent as IOTL. And speaking of Latinos, what about Spanish? Would it be derided as the Societist Language (even though the Societists themselves are into constructed languages)? I know that wasn't the case with Russian, per se, but the hatred for Societism is also far more paranoid and virulent in nature. Thoughts?

I think that those in outspoken opposition to Societism (and thus seen as representing their countries' "true", traditional culture) will actually be celebrated. See also anti-communist Cuban exiles in the USA in OTL, and anti-Republican French exiles in OTL Britain. It's not like anti-communist Russians in OTL are the only example.