Look to the West Volume VII: The Eye Against the Prism

In part #258, it is mentioned that the personal union of Ireland and Nueva Irlanda was decided by plebiscite in 1927*, contrary to what the map for 1922 states. Is it a retcon?
* Which I would surmise would make more sense, given what's foreshadowed to happen to the ENA in the mid-twenties.

xsampa

Banned
The Societists are already advancing into Darcfur and the Moon Lake states. Once these fall, the nations of Africa will essentially have to defend themselves from the center, which makes neo colonial dominance likelier

Let's not forget the one throwaway line in that map...Russo-Couronaian Trinidad and /or Tobago. It probably won't last, but...

Seeing *Charleston should be interesting; the challenges somewhat mentioned in the differences between English and *English are one thing, but Carolina had 40-odd years of Meridian (i.e. Hispanophone) influence, followed by who-knows how long of Societist influence, will Carolina even speak anything like English anymore? It's only been about 20 years since the Last War of Supremacy. Then again, if the ASN does the Diversitarian equivalent of "shock doctrine" on the Global Reconstruction Zone...

We shall see in Volume VIII!

Thande

Donor
Thanks for the comments everyone!

Hey, looks like we're getting Combine (or maybe just pro-Combine) sources after all. "Charleston" must be another error in the mold of "Red Twenties", unless Ultima is as much a dead zone as Buenos Aires.
A) He's talking about the OTL city, and B) Ultima is OTL Atlanta, not Charleston, which is (as of 1922) also Charleston in TTL - though admittedly I cheated a bit by "Charles Town" getting the same contraction as OTL around the same time, which may not have happened realistically but I couldn't make myself avoid using the OTL form.

In part #258, it is mentioned that the personal union of Ireland and Nueva Irlanda was decided by plebiscite in 1927*, contrary to what the map for 1922 states. Is it a retcon?
* Which I would surmise would make more sense, given what's foreshadowed to happen to the ENA in the mid-twenties.
That's an error of dates on my part, I'll change the labels on the map at some point - I had the Irish events of 1918 and 1927 mixed up in my head. Thanks for pointing this out.

A) He's talking about the OTL city, and B) Ultima is OTL Atlanta, not Charleston, which is (as of 1922) also Charleston in TTL - though admittedly I cheated a bit by "Charles Town" getting the same contraction as OTL around the same time, which may not have happened realistically but I couldn't make myself avoid using the OTL form.

I wouldn't fret too much, since Trenton evolved the same from Trent Town and we saw the Americanization of -borough sloughing off the -ugh at the same time. It dovetails nicely with American life changing much with the ENA declaration and Continental Parliament founding in the mid-late 18th century anyway.

The Societists are already advancing into Darcfur and the Moon Lake states. Once these fall, the nations of Africa will essentially have to defend themselves from the center, which makes neo colonial dominance likelier
The largest nation in Africa is Guinea, by far, and we know it will not turn Black. Then there's the Matetwa and Morocco, most of the rest is colonies/protectorates. Seemingly easy prey for the Liberated Zones.

Last edited:
Also, I had an odd thought.
The ASN Diversitarian approach emphasises diversity as the key feature of humanity; it appears to defend it within nations as well as among them, engineers mandatory riots as a universal rule in order to secure the differences, and encourages peace. It seems genuinely committed to a universalist cooperative global order in which all differences coexist without clashing and in the bits of recent historiography, concedes generally human features as comparable. Eating foreign food is encouraged, melting pots like California and multiethnic nations such as Guinea seem to be acceptable and celebrated in a decidedly constructionist appraoch to national identity as conscious choice. Borders exist, but are very passable. The view is not just to make any nation unique, but any individual within what may seem a global commonwealth of societies that shares quite a few norms (diversity is artificially enforced).
Furthermore, the Iverson protocol forces Sanchez's work on everyone to read, and there's a conspicuous tendency in the historiographical works we have seen to depict Sanchez himself as untainted by the crimes of the Combine and contradicting the choices of later Societists.
Hmmm... what if... the ASN is actually run by a secret cabal of Sanchezistas? I mean, people who understood the unfeasiblity of enforcing unity the hard Combine way and tried to hijack Diversitarianism to fulfill Sanchez's dream in a more sophisticated way, no need for deculturation and Zones, just create a global identity by pitting it against the dead spectre of the Combine (if there even ever was a Combine in the first place at this point?).
Angus Iverson, the great unsung architect of the Final Society.

I don't know about being a Literal Secret Societist, but I do think @Thande is going for an Ironic Historical Parallel by making the ASN into an effective world government dedicated to fighting an ideology committed to world government in the same way that the OTL rise of Marxism inspired conservatives from Bismarck to the Roosevelts to Lee Kuan Yew to establish massive social programs and government control of certain sectors of the economy in the name of avoiding Communism.

Last edited:

xsampa

Banned
The largest nation in Africa is Guinea, by far, and we know it will not turn Black. Then there's the Matetwa and Morocco, most of the rest is colonies/protectorates. Seemingly easy prey for the Liberated Zones.
Possibly. However, colonies doesn’t guarantee it

Also, I had an odd thought.
The ASN Diversitarian approach emphasises diversity as the key feature of humanity; it appears to defend it within nations as well as among them, engineers mandatory riots as a universal rule in order to secure the differences, and encourages peace. It seems genuinely committed to a universalist cooperative global order in which all differences coexist without clashing and in the bits of recent historiography, concedes generally human features as comparable. Eating foreign food is encouraged, melting pots like California and multiethnic nations such as Guinea seem to be acceptable and celebrated in a decidedly constructionist appraoch to national identity as conscious choice. Borders exist, but are very passable. The view is not just to make any nation unique, but any individual within what may seem a global commonwealth of societies that shares quite a few norms (diversity is artificially enforced).
Furthermore, the Iverson protocol forces Sanchez's work on everyone to read, and there's a conspicuous tendency in the historiographical works we have seen to depict Sanchez himself as untainted by the crimes of the Combine and contradicting the choices of later Societists.
Hmmm... what if... the ASN is actually run by a secret cabal of Sanchezistas? I mean, people who understood the unfeasiblity of enforcing unity the hard Combine way and tried to hijack Diversitarianism to fulfill Sanchez's dream in a more sophisticated way, no need for deculturation and Zones, just create a global identity by pitting it against the dead spectre of the Combine (if there even ever was a Combine in the first place at this point?).
I think it might be like OTL capitalistic democracies adopting several communistic practices (paid vacation, various welfare payments, workers rights, etc) out of necessity and admitting to themselves that these ideas are good despite all the hostility towards the enemy
In short the ASN probably uses some organization styles and unconscious world perceptions that are more Societist than they will ever admit as the fact that it seems to dominate the world and force its practices upon the globe gives Societism vibes

I don't know about being a Literal Secret Societist, but I do think @Thande is going for an Ironic Historical Parallel by making the ASN into an effective world government dedicated to fighting an ideology committed to world government in the same way that the OTL rise of Marxism inspired conservatives from Bismarck to the Roosevelts to Lee Kuan Yew to establish massive social programs and government control of certain sectors of the economy in the name of avoiding Communism.
My thoughts as well

You know what I realized, that even though steam is being replaced by electricity, I can imagine the aesthetic legacy of steam still being involved in electricity technology. I would not be surprised if the computer would look like what steam users would imagine an electrical computer to look like.

Then again, if the ASN does the Diversitarian equivalent of "shock doctrine" on the Global Reconstruction Zone...

Broke: letting dialects of Novalatina diverge naturally
Woke: forcing a foreign (or wholly reconstructed) language on a populace and dividing them into an elite that learns it quickly and a massive underclass that doesn't have access to the necessary resources

xsampa

Banned
Broke: letting dialects of Novalatina diverge naturally
Woke: forcing a foreign (or wholly reconstructed) language on a populace and dividing them into an elite that learns it quickly and a massive underclass that doesn't have access to the necessary resources
What about an English-Novalita hybrid