Thande

Donor
Happy birthday, and a fascinating update.

Are the viewpoint characters real people ITTL, or invented by the author?
Interesting question! Mostly the protagonists will be author invented but many of the people they meet will be real - on the other hand, some of the stories will be dramatisations of real events (e.g. specific war events). It's almost more interesting to be deliberately ambiguous, imagine someone reading about WW2 (for instance) in OTL based on fiction series set in it.

Ah, catastrophe and damnation loom in the near future of this timeline...

But nevermind, we have celeripedes ! And we might see the first aerodromes soon ! :cool::D

Interesting question! Mostly the protagonists will be author invented but many of the people they meet will be real - on the other hand, some of the stories will be dramatisations of real events (e.g. specific war events). It's almost more interesting to be deliberately ambiguous, imagine someone reading about WW2 (for instance) in OTL based on fiction series set in it.

So some of the pieces will be quite accurate, but some could be the equivalent of an account of a successful unmentionable sea mammal?

Or is that taking things too far ;)

So numbers 1 -3 are, in whichever order, the ENA, Russia and Feng China I presume?

I'd think France and Germany would both rank ahead of China at this point, although to be sure Feng China is very populous and somewhat better off technologically and presumably in per capital wealth. Considering how very poor they were OTL, though, I'd think France and/or Germany remain ahead--but with China much closer behind than OTL! Same kind of thing applies to Russia--not the massive population of China, but still more populous than either "big" western European power, so the question is again how much better off per capita are the Russians? I realize they do also have Japan as a holding as well as other parts of East Asia--I don't think Alaska counts as a huge factor yet, unless they've found the gold; even if they know about some of the oil it won't be the most attractive fields to develop just yet. So Alaska is going to help Russia surge into the top ranks pretty soon, as will raising the standard of living of the East Asians. But I believe Yapon was being kept in rather oppressive conditions, so per capita they anyway aren't helping the ranking a lot.

Russia and Feng China will, barring major devastation, be very important in the 20th century, but even yet I doubt Russia is in the top 4, and China less so still.

They are very definitely in the top 10, very possibly one or the other has by now edged out either Germany or France.[

OTL Russia had a bigger economy than France by 1900, putting them at no. 4 after the US, Germany, and the UK, although I dunno how OTL France compares to LTTW France.

OTL France had its demography devastated by Bonaparte making a credible effort to get as many Frenchmen as he could killed in his name on expensive conquests. The Jacobin Wars were unpleasant, but how unpleasant compared to the OTL Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars? If I recall correctly, they weren't as long, and I don't recall any individual campaign where the French lost as many men as the OTL French did in Russia. That said, it's been a long time since I read those parts of the TL, so I might be totally wrong.

Iron Red One???

Green Red One

OTL Russia had a bigger economy than France by 1900, putting them at no. 4 after the US, Germany, and the UK, although I dunno how OTL France compares to LTTW France.

The Kingdom of the French has definitely a bigger economy than the French Third Republic.
Less revolutions and government changes, but a larger Metropolitan France (Walloon territory centred on Charleroi, western Switzerland, Elsass-Lorraine and Channel Islands).

Yeah, the Nazis were bad... But Hydra! That was a real problem!

Speaking of which, wouldn't a comic series about an 18th Century "Alpha Flight" that helped keep Canada independent be popular in the 20th/21st Century in the former Canadian lands of New England?

Last edited:
The opening chapter shows its hand as a postwar piece, politically-speaking. There's a real flavor of diversitarianism in how all the characters in the first prose segment note (and maintain) their national and linguistic heritages, while the Meridians show the ball starting to roll on the submission of their "motley" heritages to a collective as a foreshadowing of societism.

Wow! I'm not all caught up (last put all the story posts on my Kindle in 2015, so just as part V was starting) but this is an amazing timeline. Just like how the French Revolution went from a piece of paper to a lazy dog, the timeline starts out in OTL and slowly, step by logical step, turns into a truly alien world where the relatively sane government requires citizens to attend low-level ethnic/ideological riots over obscure historical disputes and South America is (at least until recently) ruled by a bizarre dictatorship and global superpower whose ideology is still clear as mud. I love the alternate language, after reading through it I can think a sentence like "Those radical Diversitarians of the Russian School would gladly emulate Lisieux (despite their protestations of Haraldsson's Maxim) by plogisticating every citizen of the Combine as the Jacobins of Cayenne once dreamed of doing, but such belief in the irredeemability of the subjects of the Threefold Eye runs counter to all that Diversitarianism ought to stand for and project across the terreaqueous globe..." and know that would make very little sense to those who didn't read the timeline, yet it makes perfect sense having read it. Beautiful!

Green Red One

The Kingdom of the French has definitely a bigger economy than the French Third Republic.
Less revolutions and government changes, but a larger Metropolitan France (Walloon territory centred on Charleroi, western Switzerland, Elsass-Lorraine and Channel Islands).

Of course, I'm not sure how LTTW Russia compares to OTL in terms of economic development, either...

know that would make very little sense to those who didn't read the timeline, yet it makes perfect sense having read it.

And OTL's political discussions would make little sense to people from the LTTW timeline, of course. "This Trump chappie is a ...Republican? The "party of big business", you say? Looks more like some sort of Societist to me - I mean, he doesn't seem to have anything actually resembling an economic plan." :)