Thande

Donor
Yeay, the famously great (well, not really) Scandinavian colonial empires make their appearances in another timeline! :D Glad to see someone else knew about Frederiksnagore (my Bengali friend was entirely unaware of that the Danes too once attempted to establish colonial outposts in India).
Thanks for that. By the way, do you know if the Danish Golden Age painters are well known to the average person in Scandinavia? I came across them while researching for this and I'm not an art person but I was surprised I hadn't heard of the movement before.

Thanks for that. By the way, do you know if the Danish Golden Age painters are well known to the average person in Scandinavia? I came across them while researching for this and I'm not an art person but I was surprised I hadn't heard of the movement before.

My grandmother and her sister were very much enchanted by them. They once took the entire family out to Jutland for a week just so we could visit the places where they had lived and worked and see their paintings and everything. So, I certainly know of them.

As for the general population, I wouldn't know. Frankly, I often tend to be fairly elitist, and assume that most Swedes are ignoramuses who don't study history as much as I do, only to discover that they actually do know far more than I give them credit for. A humbling experience every time that happens. It wouldn't surprise me if most Danes are vaguely aware of them. Perhaps not to the same level as the French population probably are aware of their 19th century painters, but still, I think they are.

I would guess that the most well known Danish Painters from the golden age would be P.S Krøyer ... and of a slightly different vibe, Vilhelm Hammershøi

Sounds like Calicut will remain a major city in the present day, instead of shrivelling up and being overshadowed.

Great update! A few things:

Nice to see a Scandinavia-centric post, but I still hate you for not releasing Jutland from under German rule. :D At least the Kulturkrieg is over now.

Nice to see Czechs being active, we Slovaks are probably doomed to Societism (a milder version though, it seems), but at least a part of the Czech lands have a chance to not be absorbed. At least for now.

The fact that Germany is a republic in the present day pretty much confirms that it's not a Societist country (or a part of one), I think at least. But if (and that's a big if right now) Poland is... that'd make for a strange-looking country - Poland + Danubia + at least European parts of the Ottoman Empire.

The Vitebsk Customs Union is probably a precursor of a future alliance. France probably joins later as wellr. What is surprising is the fact that Lithuania is not a member. They were supposed to be under a stronger Russian influnce by now, so what's up with that? Seeing that the Thaw is going to end, we can probably expect the ENA and the UPSA on the opposite sides, but everyone else is up in the air right now.

Is Yemen an actual colony? I didn't get that impression. It shouldn't really be colonialism then, merely imperialism. Unless the two terms are even more synonymous than OTL.

And lastly (probably). WHY?! WHY DO YOU KEEP DOOMING DUTCH-SPEAKING COUNTRIES?! :D

Thande

Donor
The Vitebsk Customs Union is probably a precursor of a future alliance. France probably joins later as wellr. What is surprising is the fact that Lithuania is not a member. They were supposed to be under a stronger Russian influnce by now, so what's up with that?
I actually just forgot to mention it! Will edit it in now.

1SaBy said:
Is Yemen an actual colony? I didn't get that impression. It shouldn't really be colonialism then, merely imperialism. Unless the two terms are even more synonymous than OTL.
Well, as you say, in OTL little distinction is drawn - India is commonly described as "a British colony" despite the reality that some parts were directly administered by British officials and other parts e.g. Hyderabad were formally independent states merely under strong British influence. To take a loose OTL comparison, the Trucial States (the modern UAE) were commonly coloured pink on the map despite only being an informal British protectorate.

I second (or is it third, or fourth?) the call for a map.

As for the division of New Holland, it will probably be along the Cygnia-Perouise border extended north, giving an ENA Western Australia, and a French-speaking rest of Australia.

I get the feeling that the Vitebsk customs union eventually leads to the Russian Confederation. Also, I got the feeling that Beiqing China eventually gets annexed by Feng China in a previous post about the Nth Riverine Wars...

Part #221: The Danish-Mended Emirate

“There’s no point arguing about it now – how the hell was I supposed to know that’s not how you’re meant to hold a pint glass, you know I normally drink wine? Find something on Jocasta right now to take the press’s attention off of me or we’re sunk.”

—From the Correspondence of Bes. David Batten-Hale (New Doradist Party--Croydon Urban)​

Is this a reference to a certain OTL British politician, who is (almost) never seen without a pint glass in his hand? :D

I second (or is it third, or fourth?) the call for a map.

I'll Nth it then. Just to be on the safe side.

I get the feeling that the Vitebsk customs union eventually leads to the Russian Confederation.

It's a real possibility which I didn't consider. Not in its entirety though. Courland has been mentioned as being independent, which I find odd. Also, Scandinavians are unlikely to join as well. On the other hand, we have no information about their state in the present say AFAIK.

Also, I got the feeling that Beiqing China eventually gets annexed by Feng China in a previous post about the Nth Riverine Wars...

I knew I forgot to say something! Here we have ANOTHER timeline where a northern, traditionalist Chinese state is under Russia's thumb. :D DOD style. :cool: You're right though, it was mentioned that the Feng will annex the Beiqing at some point.

Thande

Donor
I knew I forgot to say something! Here we have ANOTHER timeline where a northern, traditionalist Chinese state is under Russia's thumb. :D DOD style. :cool: You're right though, it was mentioned that the Feng will annex the Beiqing at some point.
I think Tony Jones did it at least once too.

Is this a reference to a certain OTL British politician, who is (almost) never seen without a pint glass in his hand? :D

I assume it's more this photo of Zac Goldsmith
Maltaran is correct. Interestingly that's the second person today who hasn't heard the Goldsmith story - maybe it's a 'bubble' thing.

I assumed it was a reference to another (presumably different, and recently unsuccessful) UK politician who was pictured trying to appear to be a 'man of the people' and supping from a pint glass, which he had clearly never done before. Bit like your average Aston Ham - sorry, West Villa - supporter :)

Edit: whoops, ninja'd by Maltaran. Really should read to the end of the thread before commenting ;)

Maltaran is correct. Interestingly that's the second person today who hasn't heard the Goldsmith story - maybe it's a 'bubble' thing.

I only worked it out earlier today after combining some of Meadow and Roem's posts and inferring the rest...

What can I say, I'm not on twitter and don't have enough time to read up on every little event in current politics.

I'm curious to know how much planning and preparing goes into each post.

Also, how much has the concept and direction changed from when this TL started?

Thande

Donor
I only worked it out earlier today after combining some of Meadow and Roem's posts and inferring the rest...

What can I say, I'm not on twitter and don't have enough time to read up on every little event in current politics.

Sometimes I think I get too far removed from how ordinary people are viewing politics from listening to Roem and Meadow too much!

I think Tony Jones did it at least once too.

In Gurkani Alam? I would not classify that as the same. In GA it's a China coverted to Russian Orthodoxy, not a traditionalist China.

I see it on deviantArt maps often though. And Disaster at Leuthen did it as well.

If Claus had merely remained in Paris and kickstarted this movement along with fellow artists such as Iain Stewart of Great Britain/Scotland, Marie Delaurier of France and Giovanni Bertinelli of Italy, he would still have been an important figure to history. However,

I've noticed this construction pop up a few times in these biographical pieces, along with rumination on more explicit allohistorical scenarios.

Does Societism suppose a natural progression of events — someone would've invented Societism even if Sanchez had burned along with his childhood house — while Diversitarianism favors a kind of non-Whiggish chaos? Or is it more an example of how the public ITTL seems to be better versed in their own history compared to OTL, so it's easier for authors to drop in these off-handed hypothetical as rhetorical devices?

And so we have met LTTW's German Nazis.
Only they are bad enough to abolish Fraktur in Germany.

I suspect I would not value Hansen's work as much as the Valladolid School realism. If I want to know the artists's feelings, I would read his/her book.

He was also rumoured to have crypto-Catholic beliefs, reflecting the fact that (High) Saxony had been a historical oddity in the eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries with a Catholic monarchy ruling over a mostly Protestant population (and even presiding over discrimination against their few Catholic subjects).

It was not that odd. In the Palatine, Protestants were also ruled by Catholic monarchs (Wittelbach).

At this stage in his career he seemed less interested in the natives, and some biographers on both Societist and Diversitarian sides have pointed out the irony that he did not seem particularly moved by the fact that Scandinavian colonial administrators were forcing some of the natives to learn Danish.

That begs the question, how did the Scandinavians solve their language question? Did Danish remain dominant even after the loss of Jutland and regaining Sweden?

The Scandinavians began working with the Russians more closely in the late nineteenth century for reasons both close to home (Germany increasingly being seen as a mutual enemy) and concerning trade at sea. Scandinavian and Russian trade concerns in different parts of Asia and Africa barely overlapped and complemented rather than competed with each other. When Claus arrived in Yemen in 1883, the Treaty of Trondheim had already been in force for three years, Scandinavia joining the Russian-led Vitebsk Customs Union which also incorporated Lithuania, Finland, Courland, Corea and eventually Beiqing China and Gavaji.

Why do LTTW Russians consider Germany an enemy? They are not even neighbours.

Though his son Christian IV Augustus attempted to repair the damage when he came to the throne in 1908, the fact that modern Germany is a republic can likely be traced to this period.

Hm...

Liechtenstein. Though long part of Germany, Liechtenstein’s isolation means that it is perhaps the exemplar of retaining the old Holy Roman Empire microstate character. Indeed, even when there were three hundred states and more in Germany, Liechtenstein still stood out for being ridiculously small (based on the old borders the modern region would have a population of just thirty-five thousand). Though the now ceremonial feudal ruler has been demoted to Duke from Prince, the people of Liechtenstein retain a fiercely independent character and a desire to stand out from the crowd. They certainly achieve that, which oddities such as their small former state being home to the world’s largest manufacturer of false teeth and tourists only being allowed to ski the slope on Mount Alpspitz if they are capable of reciting the German alphabet backwards.[2] Liechtenstein’s chief virtue is its isolation for those tourists who so desire that while (unlike similar regions in the Bernese Republic) still being covered by pan-German institutions whose absence can cause problems for travellers from some countries. Otherwise, only for the true microstate enthusiast.

A republic which includes monarchies within its borders, another situation opposite to OTL (empire with republics aka free cities within its borders)?

Thande

Donor
A republic which includes monarchies within its borders, another situation opposite to OTL (empire with republics aka free cities within its borders)?
Indeed! (I was worried when you quoted that, I thought I'd contradicted myself, but it all fits).

For why Germany is increasingly regarded as hostile to the Russians, that will come in future updates.

For Scandinavian language, it's a case where they would probably have tried to institute a common language were it not for the need to keep the moral high ground over the German Kulturkrieg in Jutland, so in practice Danish and Swedish (and to a lesser extent Norwegian) are used bilingually in government documents etc.