Thande

Donor
Yes, you read that right - LTTW is going to cover the Pandoric War in terms of narrative prose.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to set up this fridge so I can blow it up with a nuclear bomb and ride it over the top of this shark tank.

In the words of Sgt. R Mumby:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

[STEPHEN ROGERS REMINDS LIEUTENANT FEERY THIS IS WHY HE DOESN'T GO ON AWAY MISSIONS ANY MORE]

Yes, you read that right - LTTW is going to cover the Pandoric War in terms of narrative prose.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to set up this fridge so I can blow it up with a nuclear bomb and ride it over the top of this shark tank.

Like this post if you want "nuked fridge saves man from being shark bait" to be incorporated into LTTW.

Oh, pish. You'll do it, and it'll be amazing. If nothing else, actually setting up an in-universe explanation for it is just absolutely inspired.

And here is the map in question...

fetch.php

It is finally time to paint a bunch of countries black.

Don't be silly, you need to ride _inside_ the fridge. Or possibly ride it inside a small fridge on top of it.

Congrats on that very informative map! I'm a bit surprised the Russians haven't directly incorporated the Kazakhs yet: far eastern distractions slowed their move into central Asia? And was Rajputana Islamicized during the Great Jihad? The western half seems to be in what OTL is Pakistan.

That's a big-ass Kongo kingdom: seems they've had one hellofa better 19th century than OTL. So Kanem-Bornu has gone the way of the Dodo?

That's sort of an usual border for Feng China, going up through Mongolia to the Russian border. When did that happen?

I realize it's a map which the publisher probably didn't spend much money on :p and therefore has a few inaccuracies: for instance, Sennar doesn't actually include the city of Sennar. :)

That reminds me - Cuba's independence was explained, but how did Jamaica get independence from Carolina? Unless it was part of the generalized stripping of Cuba and the West Indies from Carolina via their lack of naval power projection.

Ooh, narrative prose? You're pulling all the stops here Thande! Will the Pandoric War take up the rest of this Volume then?
Also, 'Aryan Void' sounds like a creepy band name. Oh, and now I wanna mark all my sensitive information 'THANDE MOST SECRET'. Speaking of the Institute, does it have any subsidiaries? If so, I might want to use this good-old framing device for...something. Just asking.

I'm a bit surprised the Russians haven't directly incorporated the Kazakhs yet: far eastern distractions slowed their move into central Asia?

Emperor Theodore did not want more "unpredictable minorities" under Russian rule and the Kazakhs are closer to being equals to the Russians than IOTL.

That's sort of an usual border for Feng China, going up through Mongolia to the Russian border. When did that happen?

During the Second Riverine War.

Emperor Theodore did not want more "unpredictable minorities" under Russian rule and the Kazakhs are closer to being equals to the Russians than IOTL.

Hmm, but that was over half a century ago. One would think there would be some Russian demographic pressure into Kazakhstan. (Equals in which sense?)

Looks like those Debatable Territories https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...-v-to-dream-again.354968/page-6#post-10814471 mostly ended up in Feng territory.

TP: I said we ‘open doors to new worlds’.

SR: WHAT?!

TP: But I made it sound like, you know, a metaphor. Like one of those awful research grant proposals I used to have to write to get funding--

Brilliant.

Looks like it's a division of loyalties between the various Mongol banners myself.

And narrative prose. Narrative Prose. I am going to have so much fun doing the maps for this volume!

Hmm, but that was over half a century ago.

Theodore was still in charge in the late 1860s.

One would think there would be some Russian demographic pressure into Kazakhstan. (Equals in which sense?)

Even without the lands of the Kazakh Khaganate, there is enough Lebensraum in the Russian Empire.
Remember that TTL Transsib was completed in 1871.

Kazakhs are seen more as useful allies and clients than people to be ruled thanks to a more competent Kazakh leadership which managed to expand their lands in east and west with Russian support. Annexing the Khaganate would be destabilising and offer the rising Persian Empire an excellent opportunity to expand in Central Asia.

Thande

Donor
Thanks for the comments everyone. Don't know when the next proper segment will happen as I'm on holiday soon but I may end up writing while I'm away.

I realize it's a map which the publisher probably didn't spend much money on :p and therefore has a few inaccuracies: for instance, Sennar doesn't actually include the city of Sennar. :)
Thank you for that excuse ;) One could probably actually justify the latter given some of the region's history, but I'll wiggle a few borders next time I do a map accordingly.

As far as Kanem-Bornu goes, to the Fulani it probably still counts as a titularly separate thing just influenced by them, but this is deliberately meant to be more of the sort of European map you'd get in an encyclopaedia that (for example in OTL) doesn't distinguish princely states from directly controlled territory in British India. (Though having said that, this one does just that on the Guinean coast!) This is also why I 'dumbed down' a lot of the detail Hawkeye had put into the source map (like distinguishing between provinces and territories of the ENA) because it wouldn't appear on a 'realistic' map. Oh yes, I forgot to say that - big thanks to Hawkeye for making the map this was derived from.

A MAP! A MAP! A MAP!

That reminds me - Cuba's independence was explained, but how did Jamaica get independence from Carolina? Unless it was part of the generalized stripping of Cuba and the West Indies from Carolina via their lack of naval power projection.

"Adamantine Republics of of Cuba and Jamainca" Are those two supposed to be a single country - a federation - or two seperate countries? Also, what about the Cayman Islands?

Also, I think you fluffed Iberia a bit. Portugal shouldn't be in control of Coruna anymore, they lost it during their Jacobin revolution AFAIK.

Edit: What's with the Balearics not being the same color as Catalonia?

But overall HYPE HYPE HYPE!

Last edited:

This intrigues me for two reasons.

The first is that the narrative prose framing device will give you a chance to hop around in all sorts of different styles. Assembling an OTL WWII scrapbook story, as whatshisname proposed, would result in something that mashed together history books with stuff like The Diary of a Young Girl, Catch-22, The Caine Mutiny, From Here to Eternity, and more. A damn weird mishmash of truth, fiction, and fudging of facts. Lots of fun stuff. Plus horribly biased. Reading Western WWII fiction wouldn't at all give a solid impression of, say, how important the Eastern Front with the Soviets was.

The second is that you'll be working in ATL narrative prose, which has different genre expectations and tropes.